PDA

View Full Version : Non-permanently altered CAR stocks

Hepcat85
09-22-2010, 8:30 AM
Howdy all,

I've done a few searches to discover how to proceed regarding rendering a CAR stock non-telescoping to be CA legal but doing so in a non-permanent way. While drilling and pinning is one solution I've read one post where the user simply used several zip ties to render the CAR stock non-telescoping. I have a Magpul MOE stock that I'll be using with a hammerhead grip. I'd like to make the stock non-adjustable but in a way that it won't be altered forever. Would using several zip ties be legal? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks

jokat989
09-22-2010, 8:38 AM
id do a cotter pin. look on youtube there are some tutorials. zip ties seem to "jank" for me

however, its your gun do what you want

Hepcat85
09-22-2010, 9:31 AM
id do a cotter pin. look on youtube there are some tutorials. zip ties seem to "jank" for me

however, its your gun do what you want

I know what you mean. But fashionable BLACK zip ties would blend in! lol

Fate
09-22-2010, 1:13 PM
I'm leery of things that can disappear once in the hands of an overly aggressive LEO and leave you looking like you have an illegally configured rifle.

Pinned stocks will have tell-tale holes that can be argued in court as showing potential legal compliance should you have the misfortune to get arrested/charged. If those zip ties go missing...it's your word versus the officer's. (My luck, he'd be decorated with 53 valor awards, and four time winner of "cop of the year").

Things that can disappear without a trace are not a good idea in this ballgame.

Hepcat85
09-22-2010, 1:18 PM
I'm leery of things that can disappear once in the hands of an overly aggressive LEO and leave you looking like you have an illegally configured rifle.

Pinned stocks will have tell-tale holes that can be argued in court as showing potential legal compliance should you have the misfortune to get arrested/charged. If those zip ties go missing...it's your word versus the officer's. (My luck, he'd be decorated with 53 valor awards, and four time winner of "cop of the year").

Things that can disappear without a trace are not a good idea in this ballgame.

Good point.

Anyone have any details on the cotter pin solution? Youtube yielded nothing but the traditional perm pinning.

Or any other ideas?

Thanks to all who have posted.

Army
09-22-2010, 1:36 PM
With a Hammerhead and Bullet Button, why pin the stock at all?

Fate
09-22-2010, 1:39 PM

Bullet button? He didn't mention a BB. He's running a featureless build and thus needs to fix the stock.

professorhard
09-22-2010, 1:52 PM

What do you mean? The point of the HammerHead is to not use a bullet button.

Hepcat85
09-22-2010, 1:57 PM
Bullet button? He didn't mention a BB. He's running a featureless build and thus needs to fix the stock.

Correct Fate. Thanks.

Further, the only stock that would work with the Hammerhead in a standard configuration is the ACE ultralight series OR a pinned CAR stock. I've alread got a MOE on the shelf and just don't want to perm alter it.

I'm not trying to get around the law, I just don't want to alter a stock to the point where it's useless anywhere else.

ren
09-22-2010, 5:16 PM
OP I'm in the same boat. I was looking at putting a bolt through the locking mech. I bought a few cotter pins but still not sure how they are used to pin the stock.

Army
09-22-2010, 5:17 PM
If you must pin the stock, then go with the http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=43186/pid=24960/sku/M4_SOCOM_Carbine_Stock (M4 SOCOM stock. It comes with a seperate bolt that locks it in place, so no need to drill anything.

Flat Broke
09-22-2010, 5:25 PM
You do realize we're only talking about a .125 pin when we pin these right? it's not like it's going to kill the resale value of your setup. Unless you're asking new money for it come sales time, its overall condition will be a much larger determining factor than the tiny hole from the roll pin.

Here's a pic of from a guy in MA that I used as a basis for doing mine (dont have any up close pics of my pin)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_bQdMkpXilRw/SwTCzpsssVI/AAAAAAAADPg/9f45-PC3Fu0/IMG_6110_resize.JPG

Chris

Beelzy
09-22-2010, 6:57 PM
Best to pin it and do it the legally correct way.

icentropy
09-22-2010, 7:13 PM
Here's my "pinned" stock with a hammer head. The Stainless steel screw goes into the metal buffer tube rail as well as keeps the lever from moving so it locks it two ways. Permanent would be epoxy it in, semi permanent just use blue locktite, or just screw it in as is. You still need a tool to remove it and turn it into a telescoping stock... I don't know if there's a legal difference between pinning a stock in with a cotter pin (which can be tapped or drilled out) or with a screw that can be unscrewed. either way it's reversable with the right tools and a bit of work.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fr_YY-tTs64/TJqs_O1CN0I/AAAAAAAAAcM/XZyqJOpt7FQ/s800/CA%20legal%20camo%20006.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fr_YY-tTs64/TJq3CkpbLgI/AAAAAAAAAcY/CPbOAFB991c/s800/IMG_20100922_190952.jpg

Beelzy
09-22-2010, 7:18 PM
I think I'm going to go hug my Colt AR's now.

gvbsat
09-22-2010, 7:25 PM
Pin it and dont look back. Drill the hole and you really wont even notice. If/when you leave this state that has wonderful weather how much really is a replacement stick if you "dont like the looks".

Hepcat85
09-25-2010, 8:16 AM
I certainly understand the argument to make it "irreversibly legal" by pinning. For me it's not a matter of dodging the law nor being too cheap to buy another stock kit when and if the time comes. The purpose is to try and find the best of both worlds. Where the stock is nonadjustable on the fly but can be returned to an adjustable state with a tool or tools.

OHW
09-25-2010, 8:41 AM
I certainly understand the argument to make it "irreversibly legal" by pinning. For me it's not a matter of dodging the law nor being too cheap to buy another stock kit when and if the time comes. The purpose is to try and find the best of both worlds. Where the stock is nonadjustable on the fly but can be returned to an adjustable state with a tool or tools.

There was no good go threads on this topic. After three days of searching and my thread revealing little help, I took it to myself to invent a way last night.

What I did to a CAR 6 position stock, was drill a .125" hole through the adjust lever. Put a hole with the bit in the flat vertical surface under the "I-beam" rib that tthe lever bottoms out on, to put a nut in. Now drill the "I-beam" to connenct to the hole for nut. Slip bolt through lever start a nut to clamp the bolt head to the lever. Just before it tops out you should thread another two nuts over and under the "I-beam in the hole. Now the lever cannot be pulled up or pushed down.

Completely altered, unlike the OPs request. Hope it helps someone else searching the subject.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69976&stc=1&d=1285432690

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69975&stc=1&d=1285432678

MikeR
09-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Here is how i pinned mine, It isn't worth a felony to do something like zip ties.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/AR5-1.jpg

Its a tiny hole, screw for under a buck, sold as a rock with no chance of coming loose and you barely notice it. Why risk it.

I wanted to add that i used allen head screws so i can remove them when i hit the state line, Takes about minute.