PDA

View Full Version : H&S Precision PST012 or Bell and Carson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable

lockandloadllc
09-22-2010, 5:14 AM
I currently have a stock Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 and want to upgrade the current stock. I cant decide on which I like better. I like the ability to fully adjust the bell and carson. Who has the better quality/accuracy out of the two?. I use it to hit paper at 600+ yards.

JTROKS
09-22-2010, 3:10 PM
Tag. I also have a Remmy SPS Varmint, but in 300 WSM. I'm leaning towards the B&C A5 due to the adjustable cheek piece and LOP/butt plate. The added weight will help in the recoil department. Wanna know if most folks just screw on their barreled action or had it bedded. If bedded did you have it skim bedded or fully bedded up to one inch supporting the barrel?? If this sounds like a hijack, sorry and I will delete everything except, "Tag". Thanks.

BigBamBoo
09-22-2010, 3:31 PM

lockandloadllc
09-22-2010, 4:50 PM
Tag. I also have a Remmy SPS Varmint, but in 300 WSM. I'm leaning towards the B&C A5 due to the adjustable cheek piece and LOP/butt plate. The added weight will help in the recoil department. Wanna know if most folks just screw on their barreled action or had it bedded. If bedded did you have it skim bedded or fully bedded up to one inch supporting the barrel?? If this sounds like a hijack, sorry and I will delete everything except, "Tag". Thanks.

No worries, this is for anyone that has the same problem. Anyone know how hard it is to bed? Ive seen some vids about it and it seems a tad complicated.

BigBamBoo
09-22-2010, 5:35 PM

lockandloadllc
09-22-2010, 7:44 PM
Thanks that was helpful.

JTROKS
09-22-2010, 7:52 PM
I may just get brave and bed my PSS 308 with the HS Precision stock it came with. That may cure some of the unexplainable flyers I get. :rolleyes: LOL!

RT13
09-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I've owned both B&C and HS Precision stocks on Rem700's. They are both excellent stocks. However, I will give the edge to HS Precision. The materials they use to build their stocks are second to none. The quality and fit is great with both also. I tend to like the grippier feel of the HS over the B&C. But for the money, you can't beat B&C. Their price compared to HS and uch lower depending of course on the model you are looking at. BTW, my last rifle had the B&C Tactical Medalist A2 stock. The grip felt a tad too fat for me. My new Remy has the PST012 by HSP. I love the feel of this grip including the angle much better.

rksimple
09-23-2010, 6:40 AM
HS is the better, more robust stock. The B&C is a weak stock. Drill into one and you'll see what I mean. May not make a difference to you until you take a tumble with the rifle.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2010, 6:50 AM
I may just get brave and bed my PSS 308 with the HS Precision stock it came with. That may cure some of the unexplainable flyers I get. :rolleyes: LOL!

Do these HS and BC stocks have to be bedded? I thought the point was they had aluminum bedding blocks in them so you DIDN"t have to glass bed -- and you just torqued down the screws.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2010, 6:51 AM
And those flyers are caused by advancing AGE...

JTROKS
09-23-2010, 7:26 AM

Ouch! LOL! :p

About the bedding. I supposed if one gets lucky and gets a stock and barreled action's recoil lug mating squarely with the action perfectly laying snugly on the aluminum bedding without any stress then it's all good. At least that's the way the manufacturers designed it, but we all know about tolerances.

That's why I want to hear from the folks that actually bolted their action in an out of the box HS-P or B&C A2 or A5 and hear the results. MY Remington PSS in 308 is as it came from the factory except for modification of the mag box height to get the action bolts torqued properly without the mag box adding stress on the stock and action. I am getting old and I can't do 1 moa groups from the bench anymore just by using a harris bi-pod w/ my left hand steadying the butt. Maybe if I have it skim bedded it will shrink my grouping.

X-NewYawker
09-23-2010, 7:29 AM
Ouch! LOL! :p

See? Even recoil gets worse with age...

:)

JTROKS
09-23-2010, 7:50 AM
Yup! That's why I enjoy shooting my 22-250 and 223s on the bench while taking pride with moa or smaller groups at 100 yards. The PSS in 308 recoils more and I can just imagine the 300 WSM, but I can't wait to shoot it once I get the stock and rings. I'll just drop the action in and properly torque the screws and see if I get lucky.

rksimple
09-23-2010, 8:02 AM
Do these HS and BC stocks have to be bedded? I thought the point was they had aluminum bedding blocks in them so you DIDN"t have to glass bed -- and you just torqued down the screws.

Aluminum bedding blocks help, but skim bedding may be necessary to eliminate stress. After having the rifle in the stock for a few thousand rounds, pull it out and look at the bedding blocks. Most of the time you'll see a couple lines on the blocks where the action is touching. Its not touching stress free all the way around the block.

Howie44
09-23-2010, 9:29 AM

Or the loose nut behind the wheel! :rofl2: (I do it too!)

X-NewYawker
09-23-2010, 9:48 AM
Or the loose nut behind the wheel! :rofl2: (I do it too!)

There is a simple solution for flyers --

A NEW target!

Stopping at Starbucks on the way to Angeles doesn't help, either.

thevic
09-23-2010, 9:56 AM
When i bedded my rifle, i dropped my m700 sps into a heavy barreled hs precision stock.

I turned the action screws until i felt tension and let it sit for 8 hours.

When i took it out the tang and block were skim bedded and the recoil lug and barrel out to 1.5" was thick bedded.

I thought i di it wrong, but after my first range trip i was .5-1" moa and i don't have much practice with this so i beloeve the rifle has way more potential than im offering it.

Oh and the skim bedding made me feel like it wasnt makin a difference, but it is doing a lot of support at the recoil lug. It was my first bed job and came out a bit sloppy withsome error, but i know how to make it perfect next try and i may redo mine just for better looks

Juice5610
09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a B&C Medalist A5 stock waiting for me at home right now (it was just delivered) I went with it because the HS stock that came with my Remmy 700 5R doesn't fit me right at all so I choose to get the B&C while I try out other stocks (AICS/Mcmillian,Manners,KMW) and see which one I like best before I spend the big bucks on one of those at which point I will be selling the B&C on caprc.com/the hide. Check out CAPRC.com the link is in my sig. The folks over there have more knowledge of bolt rifles then most of calguns put together does. I'll post pics of it when I get home.

EDIT: My HS stock is on sale if you want to take a look at it click on my youtube channel link in my sig and look for my Remington 700 video.

BigBamBoo
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Juice5610
09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
You know...a very simple upgrade to the factory HS stocks is the Karsten cheek piece as seen here:

http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale

I did installed one on a Savage I owned for a short time. Made a world of difference for shooting from the prone,etc.

Take care,Stan

PS....a pic of the rifle with the cheek piece installed:

Yup the Karsten is a very nice cheek piece but I needed adjustable lop too and after you add all that up plus what I'm going to get back after I sell the stock HS stock I come out with some extra pocket change.;)

Capita159
09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
HS is the better, more robust stock. The B&C is a weak stock. Drill into one and you'll see what I mean. May not make a difference to you until you take a tumble with the rifle.

+1

I've owned both B&C and HS Precision stocks on Rem700's. They are both excellent stocks. However, I will give the edge to HS Precision.

I agree and also owned both brand name stocks. HSP get feels better and have more options on sizes and functionality. I have a PST081 on my 23" Varmint barrel 700 and the accuracy is more noticeable over the B&C medalist stock.

BTW, I stop recommending the adjustable cheek wells to anyone. I own two scoped rifles with adjustable cheek wells and never have to adjust height. You'll need it if you plan on going back and fort on irons to scope. Save your money and just get a cheek saddle which will also add comfort.

Juice5610
09-24-2010, 8:40 AM
Pics attached as promised. I love the feel of B&C vs the HS. Fits like a glove!

Stockton
09-24-2010, 9:00 AM
I've never had a BC stock on my tac rifles but the HS PSS stock has been with me for a long time. Had it bedded,opened up, and dbm added...it works great. Just sold it and went to an AI. Nonetheless my HS was great...the best additive was the palm swell of the HS.

lockandloadllc
09-25-2010, 8:08 PM
Pics attached as promised. I love the feel of B&C vs the HS. Fits like a glove!

Dang dude, you got the exact stock I want, just in a different color.

lockandloadllc
10-14-2010, 3:13 PM
I got the stock. Here is what it looks like.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/SnowOxx/IMG_0047s.jpg