PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS shooting low left

Moress
09-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Hello all,

So I've shot about over 100 rounds through my Yugo SKS, and at 100yards I can't hit a anything. At 200yards, It shoots almost a foot low, and about two feet to the right.

My first thought was, could the barrel be bent? Well I'm still not sure, because I'm not sure how to tell other then put a straight edge along the barrel, but thus far it doesn't seem to be the case.

Then after I got home I remembered reading that many russian guns were sighted in with the bayonete extended. Did anyone run into this with their Yugo?

I ordered a sight tool from ebay, and hopefully it'll be here this weekend, but I'm really hoping that it's not a bent barrel, is there anyway I can tell?

Thanks in advance

metalliman545
09-22-2010, 12:10 AM
lol. maybe you should you know, adjust your sights?

Moress
09-22-2010, 12:30 AM
I can't adjust the front sight without the tool which I ordered from online, should be here by Saturday.
Windage issues aside, it shouldn't aim low because the rear sight is set at 200meters, if anything it should be aiming high.

C.W.M.V.
09-22-2010, 12:42 AM
I can't adjust the front sight without the tool which I ordered from online, should be here by Saturday.
Windage issues aside, it shouldn't aim low because the rear sight is set at 200meters, if anything it should be aiming high.

You still have to adjust the front sight height.

metalliman545
09-22-2010, 5:45 AM
sometimes n00bs make me LOL

17+1
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
You went and blew 100 rounds just blasting at the range without being zeroed?

:gun_bandana:

doc1buc
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
:rofl2:

Alaric
09-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Might want to get a bore sight laser (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=879714) as well. It will really speed up your sight adjustments without blowing a lot of ammo.

Also remember that most SKS's are inherently fairly inaccurate. Especially if you're shooting cheap steel-case ammo. I believe my Yugo shoots about minute-of-barn-wall at 100 yds.

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Different ammo shoots differently. You battle sights are ment to hit a man sized target at no more than 300 yards or so. So, your rifle sounds like it's doing what it was designed to do. No, to increase it's accuracy, you will need to adjust the sights for the ammo and conditions that you are going to be shooting.

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Might want to get a bore sight laser (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=879714) as well. It will really speed up your sight adjustments without blowing a lot of ammo.

Also remember that most SKS's are inherently fairly inaccurate. Especially if you're shooting cheap steel-case ammo. I believe my Yugo shoots about minute-of-barn-wall at 100 yds.

I would not waste my time with a laser boresighter. I prefer to actually sight down my bore. When that is not an option (like with a SKS), I do use a boresighter but, the laser crap tends to be a waste of money.

SKSes may not be "precise" but they can be as "accurate" as any other gun. Obviously, you are confusing the two since, you seem to think that "moa" has something to do with "accuracy".

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/accuracy_vs_precision_556.jpg

Alaric
09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I would not waste my time with a laser boresighter. I prefer to actually sight down my bore. When that is not an option (like with a SKS), I do use a boresighter but, the laser crap tends to be a waste of money.

So since you can't sight down the barrel on an SKS, you would use a laser then right? I'm confused what your bottom line is. Do or don't?

SKSes may not be "precise" but they can be as "accurate" as any other gun. Obviously, you are confusing the two since, you seem to think that "moa" has something to do with "accuracy".

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p43/csacannoneer/accuracy_vs_precision_556.jpg

I'm using the analogy loosely. Thanks for clearing that up though. ;)

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I will not waste my time with a cheap laser boresighter. I do have a non-laser boresighter kit that I trust a lot more than any laser bore sighter that I've seen.

railroader
09-22-2010, 7:14 PM
Hello all,

So I've shot about over 100 rounds through my Yugo SKS, and at 100yards I can't hit a anything. At 200yards, It shoots almost a foot low, and about two feet to the right.

My first thought was, could the barrel be bent? Well I'm still not sure, because I'm not sure how to tell other then put a straight edge along the barrel, but thus far it doesn't seem to be the case.

Then after I got home I remembered reading that many russian guns were sighted in with the bayonete extended. Did anyone run into this with their Yugo?

I ordered a sight tool from ebay, and hopefully it'll be here this weekend, but I'm really hoping that it's not a bent barrel, is there anyway I can tell?

Thanks in advance

First off try putting your target closer to you say 50yards even 25yards. Once you get the sights close you can put targets out farther. Your front sight screws up and down to adjust the elevation. Between the trigger, the sights, the ammo and the rifle 200 yards is a long way to shoot groups with an SKS. Mark

dmax11
09-22-2010, 7:41 PM
your front sight just needs adjusting, start at 25-50 yards next time and then move out to 100.

i have only taken my yugo out once so far and i started at 50 yards with the rear sight set to battle position and was on a 12" shoot n c right away, was it precise? no but it was accurate, it held about a 4" group so thats around 8 MOA if i remember right, nothing great but its what they were designed to shoot.

i moved to 100 yards and had trouble getting on paper because it was shooting either low or high, probably high because i messed up and set my rear sight to 150 meters, once i corrected this i was on paper and by this time i only had a handfull of rounds left so it had a pretty terrible group but i did get two shots very close to the bulls eye.

i'll be taking mine out again this weekend with two new things that should help with how it shoots

#1 i was using soft points before, SKS's are not designed to use SP ammo and the loading system damages the soft rounded nose of the bullet there fore hurting accuracy, this time i've got 500 rounds of Wolf FMJ :)

#2 i got a scope and mount so it should help because the factory iron sights on yugo's are pretty terrible imho

Alaric
09-23-2010, 12:51 AM
#2 i got a scope and mount so it should help because the factory iron sights on yugo's are pretty terrible imho

Where does your scope and mount attach to your rifle?

I've tried the replaceable receiver cover with scope mount hack with terrible results. Those receiver covers just aren't engineered to tight enough tolerances to allow for a consistently stable scope mount.

Moress
09-23-2010, 1:13 AM
You see I'm not really worreid about shooting sub MoA's with my SKS, but I can't even hit paper at 100 yards.

My Mosin Nagant isn't really a tac driver either but I can hit a 10 inch gong at 200 yards no problem.

Luckily the tool to adjust the sight came in today so I'll go fiddle with it as soon as I can.

I was kinda trippin 'cuz I thought maybe the barrel was bent? I'm not sure how to check for that.

metalliman545
09-23-2010, 3:07 AM
You see I'm not really worreid about shooting sub MoA's with my SKS, but I can't even hit paper at 100 yards.

My Mosin Nagant isn't really a tac driver either but I can hit a 10 inch gong at 200 yards no problem.

Luckily the tool to adjust the sight came in today so I'll go fiddle with it as soon as I can.

I was kinda trippin 'cuz I thought maybe the barrel was bent? I'm not sure how to check for that.

well for one you have to look at it. you can tell theres a slight curve in things, the human eye is pretty good at telling if something isnt straight.

ireload
09-23-2010, 7:26 AM
Alaric I take it the sight tool that you ordered also does windage adjustment for the front sight?

I've adjusted my Chicom SKS windage and elevation initially via front sight. Another factor to consider is the trigger pull on SKS. They are not the best but that can also contribute a bit throwing off your point of impact. As others have stated, start out at 25, 50, then 100 yards sight in.

dmax11
09-23-2010, 8:07 AM
Where does your scope and mount attach to your rifle?

I've tried the replaceable receiver cover with scope mount hack with terrible results. Those receiver covers just aren't engineered to tight enough tolerances to allow for a consistently stable scope mount.

its a cover mount, i got it for cheap at the gun show so i figured why not give it a try, i know about zeroing problems with them but some people have had good results with them as long as they filed the "nose" down so it fit extremely tight, apparently they are made this way now so you have to file them to fit correctly. the one i bought was used and an older leapers model and it gave me some trouble at first but now i've got it fitted so tight its damn well near impossible to get the rear pin out. i wedged some rubber pcs in between where the front two legs slide under the receiver, plus its got the 4 set screws on the sides as well.

i really wanted to go drill and tap and probably still will later but i just could not pass up a good deal so its worth a shot i figure :)

Echeban
04-02-2015, 3:41 PM
This is my first semi-auto so forgive my ignorance. On my Yugo SKS, I have the receiver cover drilled/taped, rails mounted and a BSA 4x30 on it. It shoots precisely/accurately enough (for the ammo I use) every time after taking the cover out for cleaning or just for fun at the range to see what happens. That is, when I shoot with the bipod that I have permanently mounted where the bayonet was. The problem is when I shoot in standing position, I shoot low/left, about 3-4 in at 25 yd, 3-8 in at 50 yd. I pull the trigger so slowly that the shot surprises me, and hold the trigger after the shot is way over. I know my stance is decent because I can do 2" groups at 50 yd with my scoped Marlin 22, 10/10. I am suspecting recoil from the gas operated bolt is pushing the barrel down at the last moment before the bullet is out of the barrel? or am I doing something wrong?

kcheung2
04-02-2015, 4:54 PM
The recoil wouldn't push it down, if anything it pushes it up. The problem is barrel flex. The bipod is towards the front of the barrel, which pushes it just slightly upwards, and you've zeroed on a bench with that setup. Shoot standing up, and that flex is gone, and the shots hit lower.

That's why some people prefer free float barrels, any flex is limited to the handguard and not imparted to the barrel.

eta: and a 5 year old thread?