PDA

View Full Version : Question for Primary Arms Micro Dot Owners

iareConfusE
09-21-2010, 10:56 PM
I was just inspecting and cleaning my rifle, and noticed that on my Gen 2 Micro Dot, the front lens is slanted upwards. I believe that it's leading to a blurry red dot. I figure that the front lens shouldn't be slanted upwards, and this is probably a defect (Made in China crap), so I contacted PA about this.

Has anybody else had this issue with their Micro Dots?

Joe
09-21-2010, 11:19 PM
The front lens is supposed to be angled. Do a search online and you'll find info on it.

nimoZ
09-21-2010, 11:31 PM
I was just inspecting and cleaning my rifle, and noticed that on my Gen 2 Micro Dot, the front lens is slanted upwards. I believe that it's leading to a blurry red dot. I figure that the front lens shouldn't be slanted upwards, and this is probably a defect (Made in China crap), so I contacted PA about this.

Just looked at mine - slanted.

iareConfusE
09-22-2010, 1:59 AM
I guess it's to prevent glare.... Interesting. Ok I guess everyone has a slanted front lens.

goodlookin1
09-22-2010, 7:26 AM
Have you verified it's not your eyes causing the fuzziness?

Seriously, look at other RDS's or an Eotech. If you get the same fuzzy effect, then you might have astigmatism.

iareConfusE
09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Have you verified it's not your eyes causing the fuzziness?

Seriously, look at other RDS's or an Eotech. If you get the same fuzzy effect, then you might have astigmatism.

Yeah I've looked through plenty of red dots. I've seen some dots clearer than others. I got an email back from PA telling me to look through the scope outside and not inside, and that the angled lens was intentional.

ExtremeX
09-23-2010, 11:45 PM
The angle in the front lens is supposed to be there, mine is also like that.

I do get some funky internal reflections of some sort depending on the light conditions. Outside seems fine, but at in indoor range or in my house its very noticeable.

Mail Clerk
09-24-2010, 7:27 AM

iareConfusE,

You might be looking too close to the rear of your sight. That might be the cause of the blurry red dot. That's what I've noticed on mine.

Mail Clerk

Sky_DiveR
09-25-2010, 12:34 AM
...You might be looking too close to the rear of your sight....

Hmmmmm... So what is the range of eye relief on a red-dot?

sleepercar
09-25-2010, 1:13 AM
Hmmmmm... So what is the range of eye relief on a red-dot?
Unlimited.
I think he means that he's too close to the projected dot, thus distorting it. As opposed to giving it a little distance and giving it a chance to just look like.. well, a dot.

Mail Clerk
09-25-2010, 7:32 AM
Unlimited.
I think he means that he's too close to the projected dot, thus distorting it. As opposed to giving it a little distance and giving it a chance to just look like.. well, a dot.

sleepercar,

My reasons exactly. Personally I don't want mine too close but not too far either cux for quick shots you need to keep both eyes open thus shoving the red dot scope towards the front. Some people like to close one eye and use it more like a scope and that's where the fuzzy dot situation may come in.

I've had this same incident happen to me also and I've found that your aiming eye may be just too tired. My solution is to take your eye off the scope and look at something else to help the eye relax a bit. Based on this I believe it has no bearing on the quality of any red dot in question.

Primary Arms makes a throughly well made red dot and wether it's produced in China or not it doesn't matter to me. It's priced in most peoples budget and it works just as well as those fancy other brands that cost allot more. Does/will it last???? Maybe not if your being deployed to fight in a war BUT for the average civilian warrior it's good enough.

Mail Clerk

ExtremeX
09-26-2010, 5:02 PM
Primary Arms makes a throughly well made red dot and wether it's produced in China or not it doesn't matter to me. It's priced in most peoples budget and it works just as well as those fancy other brands that cost allot more. Does/will it last???? Maybe not if your being deployed to fight in a war BUT for the average civilian warrior it's good enough.

Mail Clerk

+1

After trying 2-3 of those eBay red dots or stuff from dealextreme.com, you soon realize that you wasted your money.
Primary Arms stuff while made in china is made to a much higher standard, and supported by an American company who is confident about their product. Their customer service is top notch and I have experienced this first hand. I have a microdot from them and the difference is well worth the small increase in price from the generic junk you see on eBay.

Iíve installed/removed mine every time I do the rangeÖ It holds zero, feels good, and just works.

My only gripe about the sight is the optics/glass, and thatís the main difference. Depending on the lighting conditions I get some funky internal reflections. At 1/5th the cost of an Aimpoint, itís something I can live with.

Mail Clerk
09-26-2010, 7:35 PM
ExtremeX,

What I've noticed allot is that civlians like myself want to be just like our boys in Iraq and Afghanstan and buy high leven optics to shoot in their carbines that cost well above $500 bills.... OK it's their money but they just don't seem to realize that the were not in a war so the rational to buy such high priced optics is a waste in my opinion. On allot of my AR's I use "Tru-Glo"
and recently bought a "Primary Arms" look a like red dot that is just as good as the higher brands. I'd rather save my money on good quality ammo or but another AR lower or upper.

Regardless there's allot of anti-Chinese/China bashing going on here and I say because it's priced lower than the American counterparts doesn't mean cheap china crap. Just as good or better overall. allot of the electronics inside that make up the red dot comes from where???? Need I say more?

Mail Clerk

stphnman20
09-26-2010, 7:44 PM
I have one on my 870.. Works like a charm..

And yes, mine is slanted too.