PDA

View Full Version : New scope on the way! Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40

Droppin Deuces
09-21-2010, 2:22 PM
I just ordered a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x4(mil dot). Please tell me it will be worth it! I was at the range yesterday with a Millett DMS 1-4, and while it was hitting pretty reliably out to about 450 yards, I just couldn't zoom far enough to see the 600 yard targets well enough to hit them consistently(maybe 40-50%).

I chose the Leupold over the Nikon M-223, mostly because of the reticle. I saw nothing but rave reviews on both, but instinct told me Leupold was the way to go.

CoyoteHunter555
09-21-2010, 2:54 PM
Yea, great scope. Enjoy it :thumbsup:

Droppin Deuces
09-21-2010, 3:10 PM
Thank you, sir! I'm getting more excited. I just got the shipping confirmation. Can't wait till it gets here. Was shooting with two friends who have .308 rifles yesterday and was experiencing a little envy knowing that I should technically be able to hit stuff that far away...if I could only SEE it:mad:

tyler durden
10-10-2010, 5:40 PM
Did you get it yet? I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

Nessal
10-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I had this exact scope and it's a serious bang for the buck. The glass is really clear and the turrets are crisp. I traded it to another calgunner but I guess I can always get another down the road. One suggestion from me personally is that if I were to get another one, I wouldn't get the mildot version since it doesn't have matching turrets. Save yourself $50.

Call me crazy, but the glass seems to be as clear as my nightforce. I actually like the turrets on the Mark AR more than the nightforce because it has a audible click. The only thing that I can knock it for is that it doesn't have parallax adjustment. Definitely good scope for the price!

bjl333
10-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I had this exact scope and it's a serious bang for the buck. The glass is really clear and the turrets are crisp. I traded it to another calgunner but I guess I can always get another down the road. One suggestion from me personally is that if I were to get another one, I wouldn't get the mildot version since it doesn't have matching turrets. Save yourself $50.

Call me crazy, but the glass seems to be as clear as my nightforce. I actually like the turrets on the Mark AR more than the nightforce because it has a audible click. The only thing that I can knock it for is that it doesn't have parallax adjustment. Definitely good scope for the price!

I am looking for a scope and you guys might've help me made up my mind.

Droppin Deuces
10-12-2010, 6:19 AM
Did you get it yet? I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

I did and I LOVE it! I never knew what it was like to look through a true quality scope until I unwrapped this thing. Every other scope I've looked through is like...well...looking into a tube, whereas this is is like holding an ultra clear magnifying glass in front of your face. It has a very generous eye relief and can be viewed with both eyes open. When looking through it, I don't get the closed-in feeling I do with other scopes. All I see is a very thin black circle around the magnified view and reticle.

Millett DMS-1:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/Image0145.jpg

Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/doghair/Image0144.jpg

Can't say enough good things about it.

zman
10-14-2010, 3:42 PM
Did you get the matching covers? :)

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/640-640/opplanet-leupold-alumina-flipback-covers-2.jpg

Droppin Deuces
10-14-2010, 9:45 PM
Almost, but I just couldn't justify the cost. I ended-up going with the standard Butler Creek Flip-ups which I've had on every scope in the past. They aren't blingy, but they work.

mzimmers
10-20-2010, 7:52 AM
Excellent choice on the Leupold. Their products are great, and their customer service is otherworldly. It's the only scope I put on any of my guns.

Droppin Deuces
10-20-2010, 9:19 AM
Thanks. I'm already looking at a couple others for future builds. I'm a big fan of the 1-4 style scope, so I may have to pick one of theirs up as well. If it's anything like looking through the Mark AR, I almost have to!

tacticalcity
10-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Good for you, enjoy.