PDA

View Full Version : Out of State purchase, FFL installs BB?

scorp965
09-21-2010, 1:27 PM
I am interested in purchasing an M17S from OOS, is the BB something which can be installed by my FFL once it arrives in California?

From searching on calguns, it seems the M17S uses a regular AR BB, is there anything else I should be concerned about? The M17S I am interested in has the non-threaded barrel, and does not include any magazines.

ke6guj
09-21-2010, 1:32 PM
I'd suggest that you confirm that it is at least 30" OAL. all the specs I saw online put it right at 30", and one metric measurement was listed as 760mm, which is just under 30". And those were for rifles with flash hiders on them. with a non-threaded barrel, it might even be shorter than 30".

kemasa
09-21-2010, 1:53 PM
If it is considered an a-salt weapon without the BB, then you would need to have it shipped to an a-salt weapons dealer. A FFL can not legally install the BB since it is not legal for the firearm to be shipped to them if it is an a-salt weapon.

scorp965
09-21-2010, 2:11 PM
Seller has confirmed the OAL is just over 30"

It has a PG, so a BB is required for CA compliance; I need an AW-authorized FFL to handle this installation?

ke6guj
09-21-2010, 2:18 PM
Seller has confirmed the OAL is just over 30"good.

It has a PG, so a BB is required for CA compliance; I need an AW-authorized FFL to handle this installation?if it comes into CA in an AW config, then yes, it will need ot go to an AW-dealer. but if it is californicated before it comes into CA, then any CA FFL can receive it and DROS it to you. Just have the seller install a maglock like the BB. Or, have the seller send it to a middleman FFL out-of-state who will californicate it for you and then reship it to your FFL. It isn't worth trying to find a AW dealer in CA and then paying them to receive an AW for you. IIRC, the cost of the AW permit goes up for each AW they receive so it costs the AW dealer money to recieve the AW, so that cost has to be passed on.

scorp965
09-21-2010, 2:22 PM
good.

if it comes into CA in an AW config, then yes, it will need ot go to an AW-dealer. but if it is californicated before it comes into CA, then any CA FFL can receive it and DROS it to you. Just have the seller install a maglock like the BB. Or, have the seller send it to a middleman FFL out-of-state who will californicate it for you and then reship it to your FFL. It isn't worth trying to find a AW dealer in CA and then paying them to receive an AW for you. IIRC, the cost of the AW permit goes up for each AW they receive so it costs the AW dealer money to recieve the AW, so that cost has to be passed on.

Thanks for the info (to both members), I see a few "middle men" shops posted on the FFL locator map, it seems this situation is what they're intended for.

I am going to send out some feeler emails to gauge cost, and determine logistics / viability.

Mike's Custom
09-21-2010, 5:43 PM
If the firearm is a AW it can only be shipped to a AW FFL. Send the selling FFL a BB and have them install it or have them remove the upper and ship it in 2 pieces. A complete lower is not considered a firearm and the receiving FFL can install the BB before you pirchase it. If I was the receiving FFL I would not even put it back to gether for you but let you take the upper and just hold onto the lower for the waiting period.

scorp965
12-17-2010, 1:05 PM
The seller was very helpful, and installed the bullet button kit, and 10 round magazine, for me; once this was done I had him ship it straight to my usual FFL. One hiccup, the M17S has a secondary mag release, which was made inoperable using epoxy.

Picked it up a few weeks ago:

http://www.defensepackage.com/misc/L1040715.jpg