PDA

View Full Version : VIRIDIAN GREEN LASER

viet4lifeOC
09-21-2010, 8:21 AM
Been in this gun hobby for about 6 months. Go to the range 2-3 a week. Thinking about getting the Viridian Green laser. I've read good things about the Viridian Universal Laser/light combo, but I am leaning towards the Universal compact green laser (no lights). Problem is..I think it's a relatively new product so I can't find many reviews on it.

Anyone have one or seen one..your opinion of quality of the light, quality of construction (X5 problem was that screws would come loose after firing, etc).

Also--do you get a green BEAM or just a green dot when the laser hits an object. On the video put out by Viridian..it looks like a beam. But I see a red dot on the target without a visible beam when I am at the range and some shooter next to me is using a red laser.

thanks

sytfu_RR
09-21-2010, 9:07 AM
Green Lasers do show the beam more than red ones do. However Don't expect to see the green beam everytime you turn it on. I had one ( by a different mfg ) sometimes depending on the dust levels you could see the entire beam, sometimes not. But maybe mine was not as strong.

Juice5610
09-21-2010, 10:05 AM
The viridian is very bright run a search for it on youtube If i wear you I'd go with the x5l or xl5 viridian laser/light combo, That being said lasers arent for me all I need is my surefire x300 :)

FFShooter23
09-21-2010, 7:23 PM
I have the X5L and I'm very happy with it. When there's slight dust in the area, you could actually see the beam. Also the laser on the Viridian, in comparison with the red, is actually brighter. The laser could even light up a darkened room. The attached light is also very bright but just uses batteries quickly. The only thing I don't really like are the buttons. It's small and feel like they could come off the system. Regarding the mount screw, no problems with becoming loose with mine. Recently brought it out in full sun and you could still see the dot at approx. 7-10 yards.:D

thevic
09-21-2010, 7:48 PM
My cousin has one for his glock and it works okay in the day, but at night thats one evil pointin beam you see. point And shoot away!

Green is a lot brighter to your eyes than red on the color spectrum. that is why it is so bright..
The laser puts out 5mW which the FDA says is the legal limit to have a laser without a key lock. Most red lasers put out the same amount of mW power if not less, but you do not see the beam because it is not as bright to your eyes. Most $5 laser pointers are 1mW

Lasers over 5mW start actually doing damage to your eyes and burn matches and dark objects like black tape and shopping bags more easily. Usually the 20mW+ is desired to do that stuff, but federal law requires ANY laser in the USA over 5mW to have a key safey so you do not leave it on by accident and burn your house (or a helicopter) down.

Some mfg claim their lasers are 20mW, 40, 60, 100, 200...most of the time it is not true and it really is only 5mW-20mW. You usually look for reviews and peopl will tell you the actual mW on them.

You will not see a green laser more powerful that the veridian for a firearm that is sold in the USA. Theres a few companies in china that makes crazy powerful ones for about $100-$200, but who knows how well they hold zero.

There are some 80mW tactical lasers that can be bought by military or law enforcement only. They areused to point out buildings easily on the battlefield

For about a month I wanted a really powerful laser and did a lot of research and learned this crap which for Once is useful on calguns :D. Here is a tiny bit of info on the milliwatts.

The output power of a laser pointer is usually measured in milliwatts (mW). In the US, lasers are classified by the American National Standards Institute[1] and by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Visible laser pointers (400–700*nm) operating at less than 1*mW power are Class 2 or II and visible laser pointers operating with 1–5*mW power are Class 3A or IIIa. Class 3B/IIIb lasers (operating between 5–500*mW) and Class 4/IV lasers (operating above 500*mW) cannot be legally promoted as laser pointers.[2]

ExtremeX
09-21-2010, 9:32 PM
I have one, the X5L on a 9mm XD Service model.

Ive done the ebay/chinese laser thing way too many times, and decided its time to pony up the bucks for the real deal as its my home defense gun.

Main reason for buying it was the light, but I wanted a laser too and wanted it all in one unit with easy to use switches.

Its a good quality unit, over 1300 rounds thought it and hasn’t skipped a beat. Holds zero, the light is good enough for a home defense light, and the laser does what its supposed to do.

My only gripe is battery life if you like to use the flashlight a lot.

I wear glasses, and if I need to use it, and didn’t have glasses, this thing could be the difference between a hit or miss for me in a SHTF moment. With that said, I rarely use the laser at the range, I prefer to practice with irons, but for me, its "cheap" insurance.

On top of all that, green lasers are cool.

weckod
09-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a the new C5L and its the best thing ever. Its so compact and powerful. The only thing is that no holster is available at this moment and you have to make a custom holster. I recommend the laser.

slowxturtle
09-22-2010, 1:38 PM
I have the C5L on my G19 and it fits and works very well. You can see the line of the laser when there's particles in the air. It does go through batteries pretty quick. I would say run time is about 30 minutes with lights and lasers on. Just an estimate though. The unit needs a full 3v to turn on. If the battery dips below that, it won't turn on at all.

BayAreaShooter
09-22-2010, 1:58 PM
While the Viridians are very good products I just do not use mine as much as I thought I would. Actually I never use it. I might end up selling it. If you feel you will get some use out of it I say go for it. As stated above a holster will not be easy to find.

ExtremeX
09-23-2010, 2:08 PM
I have the C5L on my G19 and it fits and works very well. You can see the line of the laser when there's particles in the air. It does go through batteries pretty quick. I would say run time is about 30 minutes with lights and lasers on. Just an estimate though. The unit needs a full 3v to turn on. If the battery dips below that, it won't turn on at all.

+1 on the voltage thing, it’s happened to me. Thought I broke it, but new batt. took care of the problem.

X5L fits a G19 very well too. IMO the X5L is a better fit for a G19 and XD9 since it’s pretty much flush with the barrel.

The only reason I didn’t get the C5L, is because the laser isn’t parallel with the bore axis. While minor, I think its better to for the laser to be on the same axis as if you dial in for 10 yards, and you are taking longer shots, you have to compensate both vertical and horizontal for correction.

With the X5L, I only have to deal with vertical shift.