PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season

jmlivingston
05-22-2006, 7:29 AM
Don't forget guys, the deadline is June 2nd for deer tag applications. Who's headed out for mule deer this year, and what zones are you applying for? I drew X9a last year, humped all over the buttermilks and saw nothing but does. Looking to go for X9c this year, no way am I going to get drawn for X9a two years in a row. Don't know what I'll choose for my 2nd and 3rd choice areas.

John

edwardm
05-22-2006, 3:57 PM
I'm new to CA, but I've been looking into B zone areas. Do you have to apply for the drawing to get B zone tags, or are they cash n' carry like A zone? The regs are a little confusing on the matter (when I can find them on DFG's web site, that is).

metalhead357
05-22-2006, 10:24 PM
B zones have NEVER sold out to the best of my knowlege. C zones on the other hand:cool: B are pretty much close to cash & carry.................... methinks though they doent/wont release either one or both until after the last drawing................

Metalhead

NRAhighpowershooter
05-22-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm going into D6 with one of my HP shooters towards the end of September.

wolfsong
05-24-2006, 1:44 AM
I always get d-6 and d-7 tags, on the off chance that we'll get early, heavy storms like two seasons ago. The Yosemite herd is famous for it's monster bucks, and with 6 & 7 tags you pretty much have the north and south migration routes out of the park covered. Took a very nice three by four just east of 5 corners on Crocker Ridge and a respectable forkie near Iron Lakes in the Fresno Dome area that year. Chowchilla Mountain is great if there's weather, but your rig better be part mountain goat, part mud bogger, part snow mobile when it's wet on the mountain. Good luck to ya'll no matter where ya go. Wolfsong.

chris
05-24-2006, 6:49 AM
good luck to you all this deer season. i will miss this years hunt. but i'm hunting thugs here, so that makes up for it. but A zone never sells out. i have hunted in many areas and quite successfull to. good luck guys.

Pappy91W
05-25-2006, 8:09 PM
D14 (again), I've only ever shot one deer here and that was about 15 years ago. All I ever see are doe. Friggen thick with doe, so, there's gotta be a buck here somewhere, dag nammit.

D14 is a great place to get "excersize", not all that great deer hunting, but for those that venture into the backside of bigbear, sugarloaf, they've pulled some good bucks from it, although getting in and out requires 10 men and a midget.

Greg Beck
06-11-2006, 7:40 AM
I do alot of hiking and prospecting in the Chuckwalla mtns in Riverside Co. I have seen some monster sized mule deer while prospecting. Camp at the Corn Springs camp ground or dry camp anywhere. Rough and beautiful mtns that are the largest mineralized area in the USA.