PDA

View Full Version : PPT walkthrough, and etiqette?

89 Vision
09-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm planning to do a PPT (hangun) with someone, but am new to PPT's and have a couple questions. I am the buyer, so all I will need is I.D., Proof of Residency, HSC, and cash right? Do most people expect cash when doing a PPT, or should I bother to get a money order? I know the gun is held by the FFL for 10 days, but is the money held too? Or does the seller take control immediately? Is there any other things I should remember when meeting to buy the gun? Thank you in advance.

nick
09-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Cash is fine. You give the money to the seller, the FFL does the transfer and holds onto the gun for 10 days or more, you get the gun (handgun, I presume, since you need HSC and proof of residency) after 10 days.

jtmkinsd
09-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm planning to do a PPT (hangun) with someone, but am new to PPT's and have a couple questions. I am the buyer, so all I will need is I.D., Proof of Residency, HSC, and cash right? Do most people expect cash when doing a PPT, or should I bother to get a money order? I know the gun is held by the FFL for 10 days, but is the money held too? Or does the seller take control immediately? Is there any other things I should remember when meeting to buy the gun? Thank you in advance.

Make sure the gun is what you want, and in the condition you want before handing over the cash. A lot of people I deal with have already met and done the cash transaction before they even come to my counter, I can only remember one time where the buyer actually started counting out bills in front of me to buy the gun.

If the gun does not have a lock with it, bring a CA approved one with the gun when you come to do paperwork. This will prevent you from having to buy one to get your gun out of 10-day jail.

Only other thing I can think of is make sure the address on your license matches what's on your proof of residency and is current. I can't tell you how many times people hand me expired ID/DL, or addresses don't match. If the address on your license isn't where you live, you need proof of residency from a government agency. Something like DMV registration, voter registration card, property tax bill

qtrxist
09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
for PPT on off-roster frame-only (STI, like nothing inside, sear, hammer, nothing), am i required to buy lock?

jtmkinsd
09-22-2010, 10:43 AM
for PPT on off-roster frame-only (STI, like nothing inside, sear, hammer, nothing), am i required to buy lock?

YUP! stupid huh....anything with a serial number has to go with a lock...but like I said...if a lock is presented along with the frame when given to the FFL, you should be good to go. Make sure the lock is CA approved.

macey109
09-24-2010, 3:36 PM
if you have safe ask them if a safe affidavit would work. My understanding is that an affidavit works for ATF but DOJ wants a lock.

I have experienced FFLs who are ok with affidavits, some who make you bring a lock, and yet others who have required the lock to have been bought within the last 10 days (of the initial dros)

UGH!

macey109
09-24-2010, 3:37 PM
oh yeah- do not exchange money in the store. It's their business, not a place for you to do yours. They are making nothing.

ke6guj
09-24-2010, 3:41 PM
if you have safe ask them if a safe affidavit would work. My understanding is that an affidavit works for ATF but DOJ wants a lock.

I have experienced FFLs who are ok with affidavits, some who make you bring a lock, and yet others who have required the lock to have been bought within the last 10 days (of the initial dros)

UGH!its the other way around. CA law allows for a safe affidavit to be used when transfering a handgun or a long gun. Federal law requires a lock be provided when receiving a handgun (no federal law with regards to long guns). CA safe affidavit not acceptable for the fed hangun lock law.

G-forceJunkie
09-24-2010, 6:22 PM
Right. No reason to meet at the gun store to do the inspection and transfer of money. Then go to the gun store to do the paperwork. An yes, unless the seller has agreed to something else, bring CASH! oh yeah- do not exchange money in the store. It's their business, not a place for you to do yours. They are making nothing.

360PA
10-02-2010, 7:12 AM
(C) Commencing January 1, 2003, no handgun may be delivered unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents documentation indicating that he or she is a California resident. Satisfactory documentation shall include a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed, or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice. The firearms dealer shall retain a photocopy of the documentation as proof of compliance with this requirement.

Does anyone have information that pertains to longarms? I searched the CA website and I only found this section. Sounds like most of the CA legislation pertains to handguns. Like the HSC, which none is required for longguns. So does that mean no residency requirements are needed for longguns?

ke6guj
10-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Does anyone have information that pertains to longarms? I searched the CA website and I only found this section. Sounds like most of the CA legislation pertains to handguns. Like the HSC, which none is required for longguns. So does that mean no residency requirements are needed for longguns?correct, CA does not requiire you prove residency to buy a long gun, just that you have a CA ID/DL. However, if you ID/DL does not match the current address you list on the the 4473, federal law requires you to prove residency with a goverment-issued document that has your current address on it.