PDA

View Full Version : 20 MOA mount base, 1 or 2 piece ?

Martan
09-20-2010, 3:16 PM
The last thing I need to purchase for my new rifle is the mount and rings. Since I'll want to experiment with longer range shots as well, I'll probably need base with the angle. I'm thinking either 20 MOA Leupold base or Night Force.
It will sit on Remington 700 Tactical bolt action. Is there any preference one or the other way? Personally I think on bolt action rifles it looks better in 2 pieces without the bridge over the action.
Is one piece base any better or stronger? Should I consider one piece?
Any input appreciated.

Is there perhaps other less expensive option than Leupold and NF ?

Black Majik
09-20-2010, 3:33 PM
Go 1-piece.

EGW is your answer.

Martan
09-20-2010, 3:38 PM
Go 1-piece.

EGW is your answer.

What's the reason you recommend 1 piece? Alignment issues? Something else? What's your thinking behind it? If you don't mind.
I checked some reviews on EGW, some people had problem with holes being miss-aligned.

rumblebee
09-22-2010, 3:32 PM
EGW is good product (2 bases, no issues)...my preference is one piece.....Why: I prefer less "pieces" when scope mounting. Dednutz even makes a one piece base\scope ring mount(pre aligned)....don't know if they make a 20MOA though :confused:

Martan
09-22-2010, 3:45 PM
EGW is good product (2 bases, no issues)...my preference is one piece.....Why: I prefer less "pieces" when scope mounting. Dednutz even makes a one piece base\scope ring mount(pre aligned)....don't know if they make a 20MOA though :confused:

Actually now when you mention it, I was looking at Nightforce one piece base with rings, 30mm, it actually costs less than buying it separate, by not much, but it's cheaper. It's also 20 MOA, just what I need, I wonder anyone around here is using similar setup.

norbs007
09-22-2010, 3:53 PM
Badger Ordnance base and rings... nuf said.

rumblebee
09-22-2010, 3:54 PM
You can't go wrong with the NF set up! :)

RobG
09-22-2010, 4:14 PM
One piece. Rigidity, alignment, mounting options increased forward and back. EGW makes decent stuff that is inexpensive. Badger, NF, Seekins, offers great stuff albeit more expensive. I like Seekins due to a great product, good prices, and Glen Seekins actively participates in forums to get feedback for his products from actual shooters.

FLIGHT762
09-22-2010, 4:32 PM
Go 1-piece.

EGW is your answer.
If you go with EGW,you'll use low rings for for OBJ size up to 50MM. The EGW 20 MOA base sits high on the receiver.

Martan
09-22-2010, 4:47 PM
If you go with EGW,you'll use low rings for for OBJ size up to 50MM. The EGW 20 MOA base sits high on the receiver.

So you think with 42mm objective (that's what I have) I should be ok with low rings? I thought for 50mm you would need at least medium, but since it's 20 MOA, I guess it's already up there.
Now , the brand shouldn't matter right? Whether it's a Leupold, NF, EGW... the height of the 20 MOA base is the same right? Or not?

Jon Se
09-22-2010, 5:12 PM
So you think with 42mm objective (that's what I have) I should be ok with low rings? I thought for 50mm you would need at least medium, but since it's 20 MOA, I guess it's already up there.
Now , the brand shouldn't matter right? Whether it's a Leupold, NF, EGW... the height of the 20 MOA base is the same right? Or not?

The height of the base itself is not the same from every manufacturer. EGW itself has two 20 MOA bases for sale, a standard and a low version. I'm sure the relative height of the front and the rear is the same between each brand (as they have to achieve the 20 moa mark). To be sure that the one you're purchasing fits the rings you're planning on using, look up the specs. Most manufacturers have them listed somewhere.

I personally use an EGW Low 0 MOA with TPS TSR (Tactical Precision Systems) Medium 1" rings to clear a 50mm obj scope with flip-cap installed. The setup is relatively inexpensive yet holds tight after hundreds of rounds of 308.

Seekins Precision makes the best set of rings I've ever owned or seen but its a bit more pricey than the TPS ones. Both of them work great, its just a matter of aesthetic taste imo.

rumblebee
09-22-2010, 5:26 PM
if you can swing it...get a set of low and med rings, return the set that does not work :cool:

FLIGHT762
09-22-2010, 6:29 PM

Yes, If you use the regular 20 MOA single piece base. I just went through this. I put a 20 MOA one piece on my L/H Rem. VSF and bought the medium EGW aluminum rings. I was using a Leupold Mark 4 -4.5 X 14 X 50. I still have 1/4"-3/8" clearance with the Butler Creek covers. If in doubt, call EGW and ask them. They will know what will fit. I made a mistake of listening to C/S of a major optics supplier who gave me incorrect information.

The grumpy guy at EGW knew what he was talking about. If you PM me with an e mail address, I can send you a photo if you want.

Martan
09-22-2010, 7:14 PM
if you can swing it...get a set of low and med rings, return the set that does not work :cool:

not a bad idea, it's just what I might do....:shifty:

Martan
09-22-2010, 7:18 PM
The grumpy guy at EGW knew what he was talking about. If you PM me with an e mail address, I can send you a photo if you want.

PM sent, thank you

shadowofnight
09-23-2010, 6:13 AM
I went with the new F class HD ( 7075 aircraft aluminum ) mount from EGW , it sits .100" lower than their other 20 moa mounts.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_142&products_id=482

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=67529&d=1283589238

Capita159
09-23-2010, 1:55 PM
I went with the new F class HD ( 7075 aircraft aluminum ) mount from EGW , it sits .100" lower than their other 20 moa mounts.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_142&products_id=482

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=67529&d=1283589238

Sorry about being a little off topic, but is that an HSPrecision DM box on a B&C metalist stock? If so, HSPrecision lied to me when they said their DM system only works with HSPrecision stock!!! :confused:

Anyways, I think two piece bases are good for shell ejection and top loading. They have more room for clearance. I use a one piece Leupold Mark4 with the shell ejection cut out. It works fine with no complains. I had the two piece Mark4 base before and there wasn't any issues with them either. The one piece base just looks better in my two cent.

Martan
09-23-2010, 3:48 PM
[QUOTE=shadowofnight;5004707]I went with the new F class HD ( 7075 aircraft aluminum ) mount from EGW , it sits .100" lower than their other 20 moa mounts.

That's a nice looking rifle there, thank you for the pic. It almost seems to me that this EGW base is a little too long and if you needed to push your scope to the back a little, you would hit the base.
Are those rings low or medium?

rumblebee
09-23-2010, 4:15 PM
the 3" extension is there for a reason-

There is a 3" forward extension to this 1 pc base to tie the top of the action together and improve accuracy by reducing flex

You should be able to get away with low rings, if you your objective is touching your barrel (in any way) you will need med rings. Those look like Burris XTR's rings on shadows rig (low)...same ones I am running on my Rem 700Tac Long Range (w\EGW base)

shadowofnight
09-23-2010, 4:38 PM
Sorry about being a little off topic, but is that an HSPrecision DM box on a B&C metalist stock? If so, HSPrecision lied to me when they said their DM system only works with HSPrecision stock!!! :confused:

Yes, H-S , it fit and functions perfectly....it only required very minor inletting.

It almost seems to me that this EGW base is a little too long and if you needed to push your scope to the back a little, you would hit the base.
Are those rings low or medium?

Same exact mount just standard length
http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_142&products_id=475 ....But my particular scope is as far back as it will ever need to be. I might go farther forward if shooting prone...nice to have those extra slots forward :)

Those look like Burris XTR's rings on shadows rig (low)...same ones I am running on my Rem 700Tac Long Range (w\EGW base)

They are , good eye from that angle :)

rumblebee
09-23-2010, 4:40 PM
I can spot a Burris XTR ring a mile away...that's all I run on my rifle's :D

Switchbarrel
09-29-2010, 3:05 AM
I've got tapered bases from a number of different makers. Price being a consideration, I'd look at Ken Farrell's stuff too. Not necessarily the cheapest from Ken though, shop around. No science here, but I always figured the one piece might add a little rigidity to an action (esp. if it's a repeater). I agree with you though, functionally, I like the two piece base for a little extra clearance when inserting and removing ammo.

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

-Rick

The last thing I need to purchase for my new rifle is the mount and rings. Since I'll want to experiment with longer range shots as well, I'll probably need base with the angle. I'm thinking either 20 MOA Leupold base or Night Force.
It will sit on Remington 700 Tactical bolt action. Is there any preference one or the other way? Personally I think on bolt action rifles it looks better in 2 pieces without the bridge over the action.
Is one piece base any better or stronger? Should I consider one piece?
Any input appreciated.

Is there perhaps other less expensive option than Leupold and NF ?