PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell 42mm or 50mm objective? Target turrets or normal?

Martan
09-17-2010, 5:13 PM
I've decided on the scope, for now I'll get Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 (for $600 I think it's a good deal) , but , should I get tactical model with 42mm objective or normal model with 50mm ?
Tactical model also have a different turrets (target turrets).
I don't have any preference as of now, I'd like to get some ideas from people that shoot a lot and shoot both , target and hunting.
I kind of like the tactical model with the target turrets, but should I always go to a higher size objective for better light transmission? The price is about the same, so no problem there.

The scope will sit on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical.
Thank you ahead for the input.

UserM4
09-17-2010, 9:59 PM
What kind of reticle are you planning on getting? Is matching reticle and turret important to you? And how much internal elevation do require? Are you going to be shooting and hunting in low light? Is illumination important for you? Is weight a factor if you're going to be lugging this around?

You may want to look into the Elite 4200 3-12x44
FFP
illumination
mildot reticle
mil turrets

Martan
09-17-2010, 10:59 PM
What kind of reticle are you planning on getting? Is matching reticle and turret important to you? And how much internal elevation do require? Are you going to be shooting and hunting in low light? Is illumination important for you? Is weight a factor if you're going to be lugging this around?

You may want to look into the Elite 4200 3-12x44
FFP
illumination
mildot reticle
mil turrets

This is one interesting Bushnell I haven't looked at. I'm planning on getting Mil Dot and I see that matching reticle and turrets is a big plus. I don't think I'll need illumination but it wouldn't hurt either. The weight might be the factor, there is a difference about 200 grams between these two.
You got me thinking again...and I thought I was decided.

Martan
09-20-2010, 9:06 AM
Anybody else having an opinion of picking the objective? 42mm vs. 50mm on a tactical bolt action. Should one always go to a higher number if money allows?

BamBam-31
09-20-2010, 10:25 AM
I have the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Tactical, and it's a decent scope. Impressively bright, and more than enough to hit anything at ASR's 600 yd. range and beyond.

That said, from my understanding, the 50mm should gather more light, but more important is the glass itself. Good glass in a 42mm objective will be clearer and brighter than so-so glass in a 50mm. If you can get both for the same price, I'd get the 50mm.

As for turrets, I'd say get the ones that match the rifle's purpose. If it's primarily a range gun, where you're going to shoot from 100 yds. to 800 yds., then back to 300 yds., the tactical turrets will be easier to dial up/down on. If it's primarily a hunting rifle, get capped turrets. (Even then, the tactical turrets will probably do an admirable job. The Bushnell turrets are pretty firm, and it'd take some rigorous humping to knock them out of zero. Small matter to click it back to zero before taking a shot, too.)

I'm just a noob at LR shooting, however, so take it for what it's worth. :)

Martan
09-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Good glass in a 42mm objective will be clearer and brighter than so-so glass in a 50mm. If you can get both for the same price, I'd get the 50mm.

I already ordered it and I got 42mm a little cheaper than 50mm. (under $600) It's Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 Tactical with target turrets. I was really undecided on the objective until last minute and after reading more posts, I went with 42mm. I hope Bushnell's flag ship scopes will have enough bright and clear lenses so I won't have any problem with 42mm. The rifle will be a little less "bulky" this way. I hope I made a right choice.

Black Majik
09-20-2010, 11:36 AM
You did fine. The main advantages of a 50mm scope over the 42mm would be gaining a few minutes at the beginning and end of the day when it's lowlight outside. Bright, sunny Socal days you'd be hardpressed to find any difference in brightness between the two objective diameters.

Martan
09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
You did fine. The main advantages of a 50mm scope over the 42mm would be gaining a few minutes at the beginning and end of the day when it's lowlight outside. Bright, sunny Socal days you'd be hardpressed to find any difference in brightness between the two objective diameters.

Thanks, now I just hope somebody will not show me a better scope for under $600 :)