PDA

View Full Version : 20yr old wanting to purchase a AR 15

Fcjohnny
09-16-2010, 7:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out if I am able to purchase a complete ar15. I understand that I cannot purchase a stripped lower receiver. So just trying to find out if I could purchase a complete ar15. Just wanting to purchase an ar15 from another member that's selling a complete ar15.

Thanks a bunch and I appreciate everyone's help.

Here's the link to the ar that I would like to purchase.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=333074

Mssr. Eleganté
09-16-2010, 8:01 PM
Yes, you are old enough to purchase that complete rifle. You only need to be 18 for an FFL to transfer you rifles and shotguns. You have to be at least 21 for an FFL to transfer you any firearm that is not a rifle or shotgun.

franklinarmory
09-17-2010, 6:33 AM
....and you probably already know, but it is worth repeating... Buyers need to be 21 or older to purchase AR frames because ATF does not know if the frame will be used as a rifle or a pistol.

professorhard
09-17-2010, 6:45 AM
Good price on that AR. Nice starter rifle.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-17-2010, 8:39 PM
...Buyers need to be 21 or older to purchase AR frames because ATF does not know if the frame will be used as a rifle or a pistol.

That's not correct. The reason you need to be 21 or older to purchase a frame is because a frame is not a rifle or shotgun. It's the same with a Mossberg Cruiser 12 gauge. ATF knows for sure that you're not going to make a handgun out of it, but you still have to be at least 21 to acquire one from an FFL. That's because the Cruiser is made without a buttstock, so it doesn't meet the legal definition of "shotgun". It would also be the same for a Browning M2 .50 BMG semi-auto. No way to make a handgun out of it, but you still have to be at least 21 because it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

You need to be at least 21 to acquire any firearm from an FFL, unless the firearm is a "rifle" or "shotgun".