PDA

View Full Version : CCW training in the OC

gmcem50
05-19-2006, 3:25 PM
Well, I finally received approval of my CCW application, and I have to select a training facility. I have a choice of four;

Self Defense Firearms Training
Firearms Training Associates
Safety Man
Full FOrce Firearms Training

Anyone out there used any of these guys and what was your opinion of them?

Matt C
05-19-2006, 3:34 PM
Just curious, what did you use as your reason for applying?

choochboost
05-19-2006, 4:42 PM
gmcem50, by any chance do you know which one Greg Block is associated with?

For the record I have heard good things about FTA.

The SoCal Gunner
05-19-2006, 5:00 PM
Just curious, what did you use as your reason for applying?

+1 and if you wouldn't mind me asking, what is your age? You can PM me if you like. I just want to see what my chances are of getting a CCW in OC since I am only 22 and will use the avid shooter reason for good cause.

Red Flag
05-19-2006, 5:39 PM
I used Safety Man...

Good guy and knows his stuff!

Chris

gmcem50
05-19-2006, 7:24 PM
gmcem50, by any chance do you know which one Greg Block is associated with?

For the record I have heard good things about FTA.

Greg Block is with Self Defense Firearms Training.

gmcem50
05-19-2006, 7:37 PM
Blackwater OPS & lilwboi, no I do not mind you asking. I'm an open book; I'll tell you anything you want to know. You see, I have a philosophy regarding CCWs. I believe that society at large is better served when MORE, not less, law abiding citizens are armed and to that end, I will gladly provide any assistance I can to help you guys get your CCW.

lilxboi, I am 43.

As for using the 'avid shooter' reason, I was told by the interviewer that it is a valid reason and is used quite often. The only caviat to that is that if you intend to use that reason alone, you need to have ironclad documentation that you are in fact an avid shooter. A letter from the range (of which you are a member) is a must, as well as being able to show evidence that you do in fact regularly shoot. Another poster on the CaliforniaCCW forum posted that he actually gave dates (which he was able to substantiate with recipts) that he went to the range to shoot and it was accepted.

In my case, avid shooter was only a tertiary reason, behind my business and my physical condition, and as such, my avid shooter documentation was not as extensive as it otherwise would have had to be.

I hope this helps. If I had known how (dare I say) 'simple' the process was going to be, I would have applied years ago. I wasted too much time wringing my hands and scratching my head trying to work up the nerve to just do it.

Rumpled
05-20-2006, 1:27 AM
I was always under the impression that OC only had 1 approved course.
Please keep us up to date on your experience.

I live in OCSD territory and want to apply, but have some reservations about the current process and my meeting them.

Apeman88
05-20-2006, 2:23 AM
In my case, avid shooter was only a tertiary reason, behind my business and my physical condition, and as such, my avid shooter documentation was not as extensive as it otherwise would have had to be.

Gmcem50,

I'm in OC as well and have filled out my CCW application... but still hesitant to turn it in. I am also a business owner... may I ask in more detail, your reason on the application as a business owner? Is it transportation of cash or valuables? If so... how much cash or valuables is considered suficent for CCW?

Also, can you elaberate on your "physical condition" reason.

I understand what I'm asking above maybe a bit personal. You can PM me if you like. I would also understand if you simply decided not to reply at all.

Thanks!

Ken

Red Flag
05-20-2006, 6:14 AM
Hey guys,
Just picked up my CCW on Thursday. Take a look at my CCW experiance post for what happened...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=297917#post297917

Chris

gmcem50
05-20-2006, 11:45 PM
... may I ask in more detail, your reason on the application as a business owner? Is it transportation of cash or valuables? If so... how much cash or valuables is considered suficent for CCW?

Also, can you elaberate on your "physical condition" reason.

I understand what I'm asking above maybe a bit personal. You can PM me if you like. I would also understand if you simply decided not to reply at all.

Thanks!

Ken

No problem...

My business reason is just what you stated; transportation of valuables, specifically rare coins. I was required to submit documentation that showed the value of what I was carrying. I gave them a copy of my latest price list.

My physical condition is that I have a prosthetic hip joint (the result of an off-roading accident) and am prohibited from lifting anything more than 20 lbs., but more importantly I can not run. It's not like I'm in a wheel chair or walking with a cain, I just can't lift or run. This prohibition puts me in greater danger than the average person as I cannot be expected to 'flee' from danger.

The above reasons coupled with the avid shooter reason were apparently enough to satisfy the requirements of the OCSD.

The following is my opinion only: I believe that the amount of cash one carries in their business secondary in importance to the regularity with which they carry it. That is the impression I got from some of the questions I was asked in the interview.

I hope this helps you guys who are sitting on the fence trying to decide whether or not to go for it.

Apeman88
05-21-2006, 12:10 AM
The following is my opinion only: I believe that the amount of cash one carries in their business secondary in importance to the regularity with which they carry it. That is the impression I got from some of the questions I was asked in the interview.

Thanks for your reply... if I may ask one more question... how often do you think one need to carry cash or valuables? The reason I ask is that I'm responsible for bank deposits 2-3 times a week. Each deposit average around $20K with approx. 80% checks and 20% cash. Also, while I try to set up will-calls or use UPS for delivery... I find myself making deliveries once or twice a month to local businesses. I am in the business of selling electronic components and some of the chips, ounce to ounce, are worth more than gold.

I wonder if my "reasons" are sufficent... although I understand applying is the only way to find out... I like your opinion since you've jumped through all the hoops already. Thanks!

Ken

Red Flag
05-21-2006, 9:24 AM
I was at an event yesterday that the Sheriff was at. I got a chance to talk to him about CCW's. He basically said, if you apply, you will get your CCW. He also said he wished Cali was a shall issues state and he know we are way off of that. So he would do his part in his county!

At my safety class, I had a guy that owned a motorcycle shop, a flower shop and a sitting judge. I have read your reasons and I dont think you will have any problems! The only issue for Gmcem50 may be the safety class, they had us shoot from a few positions... kneeling was one of them.

gmcem50
05-22-2006, 1:39 AM
...how often do you think one need to carry cash or valuables? The reason I ask is that I'm responsible for bank deposits 2-3 times a week.
Ken

We didn't get into (during the interview) specific numbers of times that I was in posession of valuables, just that it was a regular thing. They were more interested in the what my business/product was and it's value, than how many times I carried it. I would say that if you have thousands of dollars in your posession on a regular basis, then you probably qualify. One thing though, if you are an employee, and your reason for applying is work related, you will need a letter form your employer stating your need for a CCW.

Henry47
05-22-2006, 1:59 AM
how long do you need to be a resident of the county to apply? I'm planning on moving to Orange County this summer for at least a year.

Benellishooter
05-22-2006, 5:41 AM
Look at the CCW course as just another tax (money and time) you have to pay to get your license. I have taken FTA and Greg Block. Both were a complete joke. It was like traffic school with guns. Most of it was story telling.

At Greg Block, I was covered at least 10 times by various people with their guns. At both courses, 90% of the people were so incredibly incompetent with their guns that they should have been taken away and issued airsoft pistols. I had to request to be moved away from this idiot lady at FTA. I didn't want to get shot with her poor gun handling. One course posted the answer to the written test on the wall.

I learned nothing of real value regarding methods of carry, laws, weapon choice. Much of the information I learned (legal) was wrong at FTA. You have to do this on your own research. It is just another tax.

Ten Rounder
05-22-2006, 8:11 AM
I really feel for you guys on your CCW quest. Last year when I applied up here in norcal I was shocked on how easy it is to get a permit. first pick a county you want to live in and appoach the local sherrif. In my case I married a gal that was already a resident. Reguradless what the PDO map says, their almost all green. My sherrif knows that I work in the bay during the week too.

When I saw the local sheriff for my CCW, "Ten_Rounder, why do want or need a permit?" I replied "because my wife wants me to have one." Nothing more was said about it.

On the page where you write your reason I was told to leave it blank until my interview. Nothing is written on that page of my app. During the interview the sherrif was signing some papers and if fact he was signing my app during the interview. My weekly comute now costs over $80, its worth it.

gmcem50
05-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Look at the CCW course as just another tax (money and time) you have to pay to get your license. I have taken FTA and Greg Block. Both were a complete joke. It was like traffic school with guns. Most of it was story telling.

At Greg Block, I was covered at least 10 times by various people with their guns. At both courses, 90% of the people were so incredibly incompetent with their guns that they should have been taken away and issued airsoft pistols. I had to request to be moved away from this idiot lady at FTA. I didn't want to get shot with her poor gun handling. One course posted the answer to the written test on the wall.

I learned nothing of real value regarding methods of carry, laws, weapon choice. Much of the information I learned (legal) was wrong at FTA. You have to do this on your own research. It is just another tax.

This reminds me of my Nevada class; a complete waste of time. It was a day of silly little anecdotes and instructors talking about themselves and so on. I knew more than both of the buffoons who taught the class combined.

Benellishooter is right; its just a tax.

Benellishooter
05-22-2006, 12:44 PM
I had to take a "shooting" test with each gun I listed at the Greg Block course. He had an assistant administer the test. They placed a man-sized head and torso on a piece of paper 5' away from me. They told me I had to put 70% of my shots in the very large X zone. I started laughing and asked if they were kidding. They weren't. I proceeded to make a "happy face" on my target with my bullets. I did all head shots and didn't miss once.

Are you ready for the sad part? When I finished, I looked at everyone else's targets. THEY WERE ALL OVER THE MAP!!! One guy didn't qualify! I seriously could have done better with a seeing eye dog.

(Greg was a nice guy. I just did not get anything out of his class. I did not get anything out of FTA. But, Bill Murphy did not teach the class. He had a substitute)

The SoCal Gunner
05-22-2006, 5:59 PM
Hey guys who have a ccw, I've got a question.

In OC I'm required to include two reference letters from people who know that I want to get a CCW.

When do I need to provide them with these letters? When I turn in the application or after when I have been approved to continue to the next steps?

CWM4A1
05-22-2006, 6:06 PM

In OC I'm required to include two reference letters from people who know that I want to get a CCW.

When do I need to provide them with these letters? When I turn in the application or after when I have been approved to continue to the next steps?

It was required when I submit my application for the first time. Ask someone that you know for a while (3+ years would be best), the letter should said that he/she knows you are applying for CCW, known you for how long and can testify that you have good character.

You will also need to provide proof of residency (utility bill).

choochboost
05-22-2006, 8:44 PM
OC is a reference to Orange County. To find more info about CCW in the bay area specifically check out www.californiaccw.org and look up your county.

gmcem50
05-22-2006, 11:52 PM

Your character letters are an important part of the first submittal of documents. Without them you will be denied. The higher the social standing of the letter writers, the better. LEOs are the best. I was lucky enough to have two LEOs write letters for me, but other prominent persons will do (executives, doctors, lawyers, pastors, etc...) and they have to know the purpose of the letter and state it so therin. They need to say how long they have known you (longer is better), that your are of high moral character, and specifically why they feel you are a good candidate for a CCW.

Note; this is only pertinant to the OC (sorry, Orange County). I have no idea what other counties require in this regard.

gmcem50
05-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Does having a CCW in another state make me a Shoe in to get one here in the PRC ?

No. It helps, but it does not make you a shoe in by any measure, but every county is different.

The SoCal Gunner
05-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Your character letters are an important part of the first submittal of documents. Without them you will be denied. The higher the social standing of the letter writers, the better. LEOs are the best. I was lucky enough to have two LEOs write letters for me, but other prominent persons will do (executives, doctors, lawyers, pastors, etc...) and they have to know the purpose of the letter and state it so therin. They need to say how long they have known you (longer is better), that your are of high moral character, and specifically why they feel you are a good candidate for a CCW.

Note; this is only pertinant to the OC (sorry, Orange County). I have no idea what other counties require in this regard.

Do you know if the letter writers need to reside in Orange County? I plan on asking my boss to write me a letter and my other superior at my office. Been working with them for 3-4 years now.

Also what do the letters require? what kind of contact information and hand written or typed? Relation to me?

five.five-six
05-23-2006, 2:43 AM
do you know what the total cost will be with training and all the fees together?

Benellishooter
05-23-2006, 9:38 AM
It has been a while. But, I seem to remember about $400-$500 bucks total with all the fees and training ect.

- I consider it a second ammendment tax if you are "lucky" enough to be one of the chosen.

Henry47
05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
how long do you need to be a resident of the county to apply? I'm planning on moving to Orange County this summer for at least a year.

can someone help answer this question?

Red Flag
05-23-2006, 1:38 PM
do you know what the total cost will be with training and all the fees together?

100.00 when you drop off your app...

200-250 for training

100.00 when you pick up your CCW...

choochboost
05-23-2006, 2:31 PM
No duration is specified. All the policy states is that the applicant must prove that that he/she is a resident of the county.

five.five-six
05-23-2006, 2:37 PM

200-250 for training

WOW THAT'S A BUNCH AND you have to renew every 2 years... well it is cheper than the alternative

gmcem50
05-23-2006, 2:45 PM
Do you know if the letter writers need to reside in Orange County? I plan on asking my boss to write me a letter and my other superior at my office. Been working with them for 3-4 years now.

Also what do the letters require? what kind of contact information and hand written or typed? Relation to me?

The letter writer's county of residence is 'probably' not an issue, but I would say that being O.C. residents couldn't hurt. I say probably because I don't know for a fact; one of my letter writers was a former CA resident but now resides in NV.

CWM4A1
05-23-2006, 4:16 PM

200-250 for training

Not quiet... you don't have to pay $100 when you drop off your application (face to face interview); you do that when you are doing the live-scan (which means you are being approved for further process.) Overall figure sound about right though.

The good news (or relatively good news) is when you renew your CCW, don't have to pay as much both on training and state fee. about half of what you initially paid for.

Red Flag
05-23-2006, 5:25 PM
Not quiet... you don't have to pay $100 when you drop off your application (face to face interview); you do that when you are doing the live-scan (which means you are being approved for further process.) Overall figure sound about right though.

The good news (or relatively good news) is when you renew your CCW, don't have to pay as much both on training and state fee. about half of what you initially paid for.

Correct, I should have stated Live scan charges...