PDA

View Full Version : To XBOX 360 or Not?

novabrian
09-16-2010, 2:06 PM
I hear a lot about this "Red Ring Of Death" Is this a problem in a lot of units?What should I be leery of in a used one? Hard drive or no hard drive?

Ricky-Ray
09-16-2010, 2:07 PM
I had the ring of death on mine. Sent it back to Microsoft and it's been good ever since. Been almost a year now since then.

cpt_majestic
09-16-2010, 2:18 PM
ps3 slim

winnre
09-16-2010, 2:19 PM
HALO REACH clinched it for me. Getting one this weekend.

Ricky-Ray
09-16-2010, 2:27 PM
I hardly touch my xbox 360 anymore ever since I got the ps3. Let me know if your interested in getting a used one cheap. :)

Juice5610
09-16-2010, 2:31 PM
Xbox 360 all the way theres a reason you have to pay $60 for xboxlive vs psn being free.....

winnre
09-16-2010, 2:33 PM
I hardly touch my xbox 360 anymore ever since I got the ps3. Let me know if your interested in getting a used one cheap. :)

Does it have a hard drive?

Iknownot
09-16-2010, 2:36 PM
The issue has gone away with the latest hardware revisions.

Two pieces of advice if you are going to pull the trigger and buy one:

1) Get the new slim model. It is whisper quiet and has the latest hardware. You should not experience any RROD (I haven't heard any issues at all with the Slim).

But just in case

2) Buy your console from Costco. You will be able to return it for any reason, at any time.

Dealing with Costco is much less annoying than dealing with MS customer service (although to be fair their customer service is fine).

I personally would not buy a used x360. There are a lot of consoles out there that were traded in because they were about to go on the fritz, or consoles out there that have the older hardware revisions, that are IMO, ticking time bombs. Why buy a phone call to MS customer service. BTW, in case you are considering used, the MS warranty for RROD coverage is 3 years from the date of sale. Keep that in mind if you are considering much older x360's.

You should be pretty safe if you go with the slim at costco though. That is the way I would go. The slim is quite nice. I have one now and it is so much quieter than the older x360 models, I'd buy it over and older model, for that reason alone.

DTS
09-16-2010, 2:41 PM
PS3 all the waaaaaaaay!

radioburning
09-16-2010, 2:45 PM
I just fixed two 360's with the RRD last month, in about an hour. All it cost me to repair each 360 was a small tube of heat sink silicone paste, and 8 pennies wrapped in electrical tape. I've been playing like crazy since then with no RRD. I'm no computer wizard either, I just did a youtube search, and followed the Xbox "8 pennies" video. Easy peasy.

Iknownot
09-16-2010, 2:51 PM
/\/\/\ Not to say that your fix won't last, but most of the fixes I've seen my friends try are temporary at best.

The last mobo revision for the older style x360 (whether through warranty or retail) and the new slim hardware seem to be working fine, based on what I can see in the internet and from my and my friend's experiences with RROD. Anything else, IMO, is on borrowed time.

SnWnMe
09-16-2010, 3:05 PM
The death rate of Xboxes is almost 50%. Google it and see. The new Slim model is too new to have any data about it's longevity but it is essentially the same hardware. Xbox live is nice because it has a cool front end and presents a complete community feel by itself. PS3 has no such thing but really I use my PS3 to play online games and watch Blu Ray movies and nothing else. My laptop provides me that sense of community (such as CGN).

Milsurp Collector
09-16-2010, 3:07 PM
I hear a lot about this "Red Ring Of Death" Is this a problem in a lot of units?What should I be leery of in a used one? Hard drive or no hard drive?

1) Get the new slim model. It is whisper quiet and has the latest hardware. You should not experience any RROD (I haven't heard any issues at all with the Slim).

The new Xbox 360 will never give you a RRoD because.....

they removed the red LEDs from the ring on new Xbox 360s. It might still die but no more RRoD, the power indicator turns red instead. http://kotaku.com/5566600/the-new-xbox-360-wont-red-ring

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/061410_slim_new_xbox_360_3.jpg

Get one with a hard drive that is more than 4GB. If your hard drive is 4GB or less you can't play online co-op on Halo: Reach. http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1120888p1.html

If you have a Netflix membership and Xbox Live membership you can stream Netflix instant view movies to your Xbox 360 and watch them on your big screen.

novabrian
09-16-2010, 3:09 PM
I already own a PS3. Looking to get an Xbox to go along with my new flat screen.

Iknownot
09-16-2010, 3:13 PM
The death rate of Xboxes is almost 50%. Google it and see. The new Slim model is too new to have any data about it's longevity but it is essentially the same hardware. Xbox live is nice because it has a cool front end and presents a complete community feel by itself.

The slim does not essentially have the same hardware. It has a completely different motherboard and a different set up for cooling compared to the past x360's.

From Wikipedia:
Xbox 360 S consoles feature redesigned internal architecture with the Valhalla motherboard, which allows for around 30% more space than previous motherboards,[30] and the XCGPU, an integrated CPU/GPU/eDRAM chip using a 45 nm fabrication process.[31] This allows them to be both smaller and quieter than the previous versions of the Xbox 360. They also feature 5 standard USB 2.0 ports (2 more than previous models) and an additional custom USB port for use with peripherals such as the Kinect sensor.[31] Unlike older models, 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi[32] and a TOSLINK S/PDIF optical audio connector are also built-in, allowing for digital audio and wireless networking without the need for external adapters.[31]

I agree with you that it is too soon to really say anything about longevity for the slim, but that's what Costco is for. Although, there not have been too many postings of people having problems with slims, which was certainly not the case for the launch x360s and even those after wards. So that is probably a good sign.

Ricky-Ray
09-16-2010, 3:14 PM
Does it have a hard drive?

I believe so. I have to go home and check.

StephenhDMRS
09-16-2010, 3:25 PM
Get the new slim. It's 199 if you want the arcade. Buy a cheap up to 16 gig flash drive for your hard drive. 16 gigs will be plenty for most people if you only want to game with it. I had a ps3. When it died I could either get a new ps3 or a xbox 360. I got a new xbox 360 and with the new graphics card it looks almost as good as the ps3. xbox live works a lot better with friends to. They put a lot of work into it. Also... you can buy the 12 months for about 30 bucks if you look around online. Amazon is usually really cheap.

Side notes- ps3 use to be REALLY nice. All shiny and with touch buttons. Now it's dull black with actual push buttons.
New Xbox 360 has touch buttons and is shiny. Just cosmetic things.

I love my new xbox 360 and will never look back to the ps3. I don't feel i've missed out on any games that ps3 has exclusively either. xbox 360 has it's exclusive games which are just as good.

C.W.M.V.
09-16-2010, 3:29 PM
I dont get it. People talk about the RROD but I'm still playing happily on my Halo 3 release XBOX 360. Never had any issues with it at all.

JDay
09-16-2010, 3:39 PM
Xbox 360 all the way theres a reason you have to pay $60 for xboxlive vs psn being free.....

This hasn't been true for a year or so. PSN has come a long way since the PS3 launch.

JDay
09-16-2010, 3:40 PM
The issue has gone away with the latest hardware revisions.

Two pieces of advice if you are going to pull the trigger and buy one:

That's because they removed the red LEDs from the new 360.

JDay
09-16-2010, 3:42 PM
I dont get it. People talk about the RROD but I'm still playing happily on my Halo 3 release XBOX 360. Never had any issues with it at all.

You lucked out and got one that used the proper solder, most of the RROD issues are caused by the solder joints melting under heat and coming apart.

6172crew
09-16-2010, 3:53 PM
You lucked out and got one that used the proper solder, most of the RROD issues are caused by the solder joints melting under heat and coming apart.

My Halo version had to be sent back...still haven't got the face plate back.:43:

I like to use my xbox more than I do the PS3.

hitman13
09-16-2010, 4:19 PM
I JUST GOT A XBOX360 SLIM.

STREAMING NETFLIX = WIN
ONLINE MW2 = WIN
ONLINE REACH = WIN

CAN'T WAIT FOR MOH TIER 1 TO COME OUT.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6lKPY1gAM

radioburning
09-16-2010, 4:35 PM

I've been playing the hell outta mine since the first week they were released. It'll happen to yours eventually. Microsoft used 4 heat sinks that were basically like little squares of gummy two sided tape. Eventually they get old and stop conducting heat. 2 pennies, wrapped square in electrical tape are the same size as the heat sink squares. Just peel the little squares off, and replace them with the 2 pennies/electrical tape square, and a little silicon heat sink grease...voila, new heat sinks and no more red ring of death. Did it to mine last month and I've been playing like crazy for the last month with no problems, sometimes 10 hours a day(I've had a lot of days off-this is always a slow time of year for my work).

radioburning
09-16-2010, 4:40 PM
Anybody know if the slim 360 is modifiable like the regular version?

ZX-10R
09-16-2010, 4:41 PM
Xbox 360...Do it.

ElectronWrangler
09-16-2010, 4:43 PM
Had my xbox 360 from 3 months after launch finally fail on me a little over a year ago. Sent it back to MS and had it back in about a month. In the meantime I'd bought an elite so I gave the fixed one to my buddy. Still running fine after being turned on pretty much non stop for over a year.

In my opinion get all 3 consoles that way you don't miss out on anything.
EW

Nick1236
09-16-2010, 5:14 PM
I;ve had my xbox360 for almost 2 years now and Not once have I had a problem. I stream netflix and play MWF2 all the time. Lately I've been playing Red Dead Redemption. Love this game!

tacticalcity
09-16-2010, 5:57 PM
Not. Mine keeps getting the RED RING OF DEATH. Its been fixed twice now and still is not working.

shoupdawg
09-16-2010, 6:01 PM
HALO REACH clinched it for me. Getting one this weekend.

Halo Reach is pretty darn awesome.

novabrian
09-16-2010, 9:03 PM
Had my xbox 360 from 3 months after launch finally fail on me a little over a year ago. Sent it back to MS and had it back in about a month. In the meantime I'd bought an elite so I gave the fixed one to my buddy. Still running fine after being turned on pretty much non stop for over a year.

In my opinion get all 3 consoles that way you don't miss out on anything.
EW

I have a Wii,PS3 and want to get 360.

Iknownot
09-20-2010, 8:37 AM
Halo Reach is pretty darn awesome.

I'd have to agree.

It's easily the best Halo game since Halo 1.

fallfornoone
09-20-2010, 9:27 AM
This hasn't been true for a year or so. PSN has come a long way since the PS3 launch.

i just got on the PSN to play COD with my buddies and it sucks in comparision to xboxlive. IMHO $60 a year is totally worth it for the online playing and way way way faster and better than PSN.

smird
09-20-2010, 9:28 AM
Any of you guys use one of those keyboard/mouse adaptors with you 360. I suck so bad with the controller, I've thought about selling my 360.

With a Keyboard and mouse I'm fine. but I'd hate to shell out more money and still not play it.

Brad

mousberg15
09-20-2010, 9:54 AM
The "RROD" has been long gone, it was on the 1st and 2nd generation consoles I believe. I have owned one of those and got it replaced by microsoft and its still running for 2 years. Now i own a xbox elite and love it. HALO and GEARS of WAR are two of the best games I've ever played & pS3 doesnt have em!

Iknownot
09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
IMHO $60 a year is totally worth it for the online playing and way way way faster and better than PSN.

I haven't paid more than $40-45 for a 12 month subscription since LIVE first launched.

12 month cards go on sale for $39-45 all the time at a variety of places both on the web and brick and mortar.(amazon, costco, Target, bestbuy, etc.)

Heck, MS itself is running a promotion right now that offers a discounted 12 month subscription with an avatar prop.

Drexel669
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Got the red ring of death several times. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty thru Best Buy. Walked in and got a new one every time. Get the one with largest HD, its worth it.

Bhobbs
09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
I just sold my PS3 and got an XBOX 360. Online play is much better on Live than PSN.

TannerBoyl
09-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I would be wary about buying an Xbox360 used if you did not know the seller well. While it may work now, it may not work for long. The earlier Xbox360s were prone to the Red Ring of Death. The biggest issue for me was that it didn't initially come with HDMI outputs.

I've owned an Xbox360 since 2006 (console was manufactured in June of '06). My first Xbox360 console lasted about three years before finally succumbing to the Red Ring of Death. I shipped it back to Xbox and they sent me a refurbished one of the same vintage.

Since I had some extra cash, I just decided to upgrade to an Xbox360 Elite because of the120gb Hard drive and HDMI output (which is now standard). I ended up giving my refurbished Xbox360 to a buddy. He has gotten a lot of good use out of that Xbox.

I would also recommend that you get one with a hard drive (or at least get some decent USB style storage). For me, it was just easier to have the factory hard drive stuck to the machine than worry about a thumb drive sticking out.

My only complaint is that the DVD-ROM is a little loud on my new Xbox360. Other than that, it has been awesome!

Good luck with your decision!

Masterdebater
09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
used to love ps3 way better than xbox but it cant hang with xbox live which i use everyday. if ur a gaming nut get the 360, if ur not and want the best bluray player on the market, get the ps3. ive been on mine for 4 years now and no rrod. and i play the ish out of mine.btw halo reach is outstanding get it and add me so i can teach u fellas a thing or two >:)

Bhobbs
09-20-2010, 12:50 PM
used to love ps3 way better than xbox but it cant hang with xbox live which i use everyday. if ur a gaming nut get the 360, if ur not and want the best bluray player on the market, get the ps3. ive been on mine for 4 years now and no rrod. and i play the ish out of mine.btw halo reach is outstanding get it and add me so i can teach u fellas a thing or two >:)

What's your tag? Mine is failedcreation9.

tacticalcity
09-20-2010, 1:44 PM

Oh trust me it exists and it is a nightmare!!!

radioed22
09-20-2010, 1:57 PM
I did research on this topic too. What I came up with is PS3 loads way faster and I enjoy playing it more when there is now one else to play with. But xbox live wins in the online play factor all the way. Im not a complete fan of either, so you might end up getting both. But playing online is what you want to do, then xbox360 and definitely get the one with the smallest HD at the least. There is some good downloadable games on there and thats where they get put.

Iknownot
09-20-2010, 1:59 PM
I did research on this topic too. What I came up with is PS3 loads way faster and I enjoy playing it more when there is now one else to play with..

Yeah, just hope your PS3 game doesn't have to update.

JDay
09-20-2010, 2:05 PM
Yeah, just hope your PS3 game doesn't have to update.

Those updates fix bugs and sometimes add free content. They're also a non-issue if you have a decent internet connection.

shark92651
09-24-2010, 6:48 PM
I remember back when MS came out with a new version of Windows and advertised "no more GPF's! (General Protection Fault). The truth was they renamed the error to "Access Violation". I guess the RROD has been eliminated by the use of green LEDs, LOL!

Sabot
09-24-2010, 7:38 PM
I bought a 1st generation xbox360 and got the RROD. Sent it back and they sent me a 2nd generation unit that played well until the optical drive failed when I tried to play Halo Reach. I bought a brand new model and will take the old one out to the range.

spddrcr
09-24-2010, 9:59 PM
Those updates fix bugs and sometimes add free content. They're also a non-issue if you have a decent internet connection.

actually they are becoming quite the issue, with 3.50 that released on the 21st of this month sony cut 75% of the non licensed USB peripherals. basically they are trying to prevent any more Ps3 jailbreaking from happening due to it being a security flaw accessed through the usb port that enabled the jailbreak. sony is claiming they did it due to counterfeit controllers. you might think not a big deal but when you think about it companies like madcatz only has 1 or 2 licensed items through sony yet they make most of the aftermarket 3rd party stuff. racing wheels, headsets, controllers and even some flash memory and hard drives are not working.

sony also has started PSN+ which is basically a scaled down version of xbox live. it has yet to live up to any of the advertising promises sony used to sell the service and there are quite a few pissed off sony customers (myself included) that are wondering why we paid for a service that has offered very few of the advertised items we expected to get out of it. don't even get me started on the false claims of the new ability to play in 3d, you have to invest in a 3d television and the special glasses which are over 100 bucks each and then you don't even get hd sound out of it.

I have 2 young sons so we have collected all the consoles over the years and the xbox gets played the most, for awhile it was on just about every night. I have had 1 RROD on an elite but i sent it away and got it back within 2 weeks.
something else no one mentioned is that if you do buy used make sure you see it operate online before you buy. over a million xboxes were banned due to modifications and other violations against the TOS and these xboxes will never be able to be logged online again.
the new xbox now comes with built in wireless N and the system was completely redesigned. they have a ESPN service coming soon as well as Hulu+ and a tv service consisting of all the popular channels. If i was going to start over i would start with an xbox 360 again as i did the first time.

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 10:26 AM
The ring of death problem was fixed during the first year of the Xbox 360's release.

I have had mine since the Halo 3 launch, and the only issue I've had was a power transformer that needed replacement. MS sells them for $29 with free shipping, so not big deal. Not really surprising either, considering that my oldest son is a gearhead and has put thousands of hours on the unit with driving games.

I avoid Sony. They are even more anti-consumer than Apple. I don't like to reward companies that treat the consumer like a thief. I'm not as concerned with the company (MS) that abuses their competitors, but not their customers.

Go for the 360. You'll be happy that you did.

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 10:37 AM

The real RROD problems were solved before this console launched. I know because I researched it before purchasing mine. That isn't to say that it never had failures after that, but your's was more reliable.

joodaman
09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
xbox is great, if you actually play. i didn't and thats why i'm now selling mine.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=342501

pm me and we can work something out.

hefedehefe
09-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Get one

Cali-Shooter
09-29-2010, 11:09 AM
IMO, console systems and their games are fail compared to PC versions. You don't have as much customization options for console games vs. PC ones. Just look at XBOX's version of Team Fortress 2 vs. the PC Team Fortress 2.

If I were to buy a console system, I would much rather spend the money on a gaming rig PC instead.

spddrcr
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
you cant compare the cost of a gaming pc vs a console. I cant afford to build a new gaming rig every year or two due to outdated hardware, consoles lifespan lasts longer then a gaming pc and most my friends can afford a console over a gaming pc.
both have their perks but graphics are not everything.