PDA

View Full Version : About to drop coin on a Nightforce F1 3.5-15

Maestro Pistolero
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Any reason why I shouldn't? Does anybody have experience with this scope? Is there anything else I ought to consider in this 2k price range? Thanks.

LibertyOptics
09-16-2010, 11:54 AM
It's a nice scope. I think it is one of Nightforce's best.

Others, Vortex Razor 5-20x50, IOR 3.5-18x50. Both FFP illuminated

Good luck.

Scott

CoyoteHunter555
09-16-2010, 1:01 PM
Great scope. Get some nice NF rings or Leupold Mark 4's and maybe toss in the NF scope cleaning/maintaining kit for fun. Oh, and the wheeler scope mounting kit for another 100 bucks

Dhena81
09-16-2010, 1:41 PM
I believe the F1 already comes with their aluminum rings. That will be the scope I buy too from what I hear its the best scope for your money right now. Other choices are with S&B or USO if your down with spending 3000+ on your optics.

ExtremeX
09-16-2010, 4:15 PM
Ive been looking at the same NF scope on and off, just hard to stomach the cost.

I see the Vortex Viper PST FFP compared to that scope when budget questions arrise.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-rifle-scope.html

I have the Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 and love it, the optics were excellent when compared to other scops in that price range. The Viper PST series only gets better. I have not yet looked through the Viper PST yet, but if it is anything like I am hoping for I am gonig to buy it over the NF just to save some dollars.

Maestro Pistolero
09-16-2010, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the input. keep the comments coming.

killshot44
09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Buy it. Don't look back.

ExtremeX
09-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Buy it. Don't look back.

Hes going to have to when the credit card statement comes in the mail. :D

Being a camera guy im pretty picky about my glass... I do love the NF optics, but at times I feel you are paying for the name. Its like buying a Sony TV, others also make excellent TVs, but sometimes you are paying extra just to have the name on it.

Thats just my opinion...

I still think the OP should atleast make the effort to compare to a Vortex PST (or other brand) scope and go from there. If you can afford the NF scope, rock out with your glock out and go for it.

rksimple
09-17-2010, 9:11 AM
I still think the OP should atleast make the effort to compare to a Vortex PST

No comparison. And the PSTs won't be out again till probably the end of the year. I think retooling is taking place to change the design. First PSTs out were not very impressive.

The F1 is pretty good. The only thing it lacks is a properly executed FFP reticle. The Razors reticle is a bit better, but still not great. If you must have FFP, its one of the best in that price range.

problemchild
09-17-2010, 4:31 PM
What are you mounting it on?

Maestro Pistolero
09-17-2010, 4:33 PM
Well, I did it. I ordered a Nightforce F1 3.5-15 Mil/Mil with high-speed turrets and the MLR reticle. I expect to see it late next week or early the following week. I'll use the supplied rings for now, but if I get a chance to shoot at 1K yards, I will probably get the 20 MOA Nightforce mount that resembles the GG&G Accucam mount that I currently have on my DPMS 5.56 gun.

This ought to pimp-up my AR10T quite nicely:

NF F1 3.5-15 (http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50_F1/3_5-15x50_f1.html)

Thanks again for the input.

ExtremeX
09-17-2010, 5:05 PM
Grats on the scope. Very nice.

Maestro Pistolero
09-17-2010, 8:56 PM
Grats on the scope. Very nice.

Thanks, I feel very fortunate.

ExtremeX
09-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Just out of curiousity...

What was the reason or your thought process behind the magnification range you selected for the AR10? I was looking at the 3.5-15 for a SPR AR-15...

3.5-15 vs the 5.5-22 for example.

Black Majik
09-17-2010, 11:12 PM

What was the reason or your thought process behind the magnification range you selected for the AR10? I was looking at the 3.5-15 for a SPR AR-15...

I'm not the OP, but one reason to pick the 3.5-15x magnification is because the 5.5-22x in FFP isn't out yet.

CSTactical
09-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Got to Love Nightforce.

Mike @ CST

Maestro Pistolero
09-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Got to give it up for your service, Mike. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm the Vegas dude you took the order from earlier today.

Your generosity with your time was very helpful in making the decision. I never felt like you were jerking me in any direction even when considering scopes you don't happen to sell. My BS meter is pretty sensitive, and the needle didn't even budge.

Now I'm on the prowl for books, training vids, etc so I can get the most out of this gem. I have barely looked through a scope of this quality before, let alone owned one.

Maestro Pistolero
09-18-2010, 12:22 AM

The ranges that I am mostly going to use this AR10 at are well under 800 meters. And I will probably do most of my shooting at less than 500 meters. At those shorter distances especially, a 22X has very limited field of view, and finding the target can be difficult when looking at only 5 lateral meters of ground at a time. So the extreme magnification might not get used much.

This probably is the best way to answer. The 3 gas-rifles in my collection all serve different purposes:

The RRA M4-style AR has an Eotech with A2 co-witness mount for close work with 400-500 meters as a max range (with holdover or irons).

The 20" bull-barrel build got a fixed 4X IOR with a BDC for DMR-type work, reaching out just a bit further.

The 20" AR-10 is getting the greatest magnification because the 7.62 Nato round can actually keep up with the scope and vice versa. With the right mount and load, this rifle ought to be able to do 1K yards, although the owner-operator has some learnin' to do. :D

If I were putting this on an AR15, I might lean more toward a 2-10X range, or even a fixed 10X with a red dot sight for under 300 meters.

rksimple
09-18-2010, 6:36 AM
Now I'm on the prowl for books, training vids, etc so I can get the most out of this gem. I have barely looked through a scope of this quality before, let alone owned one.

If you want to get up to speed with it quickly, there's a precision rifle match monthly at desert sportsmans out by red rock. A lot of knowledgeable guys and very helpful. Also, spend some time reading on www.caprc.com and snipershide.com. There's a wealth of information out there.

Here's a little reading as well: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263710

Maestro Pistolero
09-20-2010, 3:44 PM
If you want to get up to speed with it quickly, there's a precision rifle match monthly at desert sportsmans out by red rock. A lot of knowledgeable guys and very helpful. Also, spend some time reading on www.caprc.com and snipershide.com. There's a wealth of information out there.

Here's a little reading as well: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263710

Thanks. I looked at the Desert Sportsman site, and I plan to track the schedule for one of the events. I am excited to learn some new skills with a great piece of equipment.

Solidsnake87
09-20-2010, 9:03 PM
Thats a great scope you won't regret getting. To bad you got it already, I would have recommended the 5.5-22x model (I think that's the magnification) for the $$$. FFP has its place but really only helps for tac rifle competition and maybe hunting. If it were for target shooting, I say go for power.

I do love the NF optics, but at times I feel you are paying for the name.

When you buy NF you are most certainly buying more than a name. You are buying a promise of performance--WHICH THEY DO DELIVER ON! I will never hesitate to buy another NF, their scopes freaking work. Its awesome to have the peace of mind of perfect tracking and sturdy construction.

Maestro Pistolero
09-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Thats a great scope you won't regret getting. To bad you got it already, I would have recommended the 5.5-22x model (I think that's the magnification) for the $$$. FFP has its place but really only helps for tac rifle competition and maybe hunting. If it were for target shooting, I say go for power.

When you buy NF you are most certainly buying more than a name. You are buying a promise of performance--WHICH THEY DO DELIVER ON! I will never hesitate to buy another NF, their scopes freaking work. Its awesome to have the peace of mind of perfect tracking and sturdy construction.

Thanks for the Kudos. Although I haven't received it yet, I am comfortable with the decision. For what I am likely to use it for (which could include tac-rifle comp in the future) I wanted the capability of the wider field of view available at 3.5X. I feel like if some folks can shoot 1K yards with a 10X, then a 15X ought to get me there, especially considering how rarely I am likely to shoot that far.