PDA

View Full Version : What's The Most AMMO I Can Have In My House?

oaklander
05-18-2006, 10:05 PM
I have a LOT of ammo. I buy in bulk for each of my guns, and they all take different ammo.

I'm always reading those news stories where the reporters breathlessly report that so and so was arrested and they found (gasp!) over ONE THOUSAND ROUNDS OF AMMO.

I get nervous if I start to run that low!

:rolleyes:

Is there some rule about having more than a certain amount (in Cali)?

I think there's a limit on the amount of loose black powder you can have around - but I'm not sure about "modern" ammo.

k

bbq_ribs
05-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I have a LOT of ammo. I buy in bulk for each of my guns, and they all take different ammo.

I'm always reading those news stories where the reporters breathlessly report that so and so was arrested and they found (gasp!) over ONE THOUSAND ROUNDS OF AMMO.

Reporters are such trolls. "One thousand rounds of ammo" = $20 in .22 - and they know that. :-|

I don't think that there's any limit to the amount of ammo that you can stockpile. There better not be. That would be a really asinine thing to have legislated.

jdberger
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
One BILLION rounds of ammo.......!

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/rbotoole/2005/09/25/dr_evil_pinky.jpg

ohsmily
05-18-2006, 10:23 PM

I think there's a limit on the amount of loose black powder you can have around - but I'm not sure about "modern" ammo.

k

I guarantee there are people with WAY more (someone always has more) and as long as it is all CA compliant ammunition, there is no concern.

I mean, when you count all different types of ammunition (including .22's), myself and many others have 10's of thousands of rounds of ammunition and some people probably have hundreds of thousands of rounds (though that takes up ALOT of space).

oaklander
05-18-2006, 10:31 PM
I mean, when you count all different types of ammunition (including .22's), myself and many others have 10's of thousands of rounds of ammunition and some people probably have hundreds of thousands of rounds (though that takes up ALOT of space).

That makes me feel better. I thought I was being a little excessive.

I've developed a real affection for my surplus Mauser, and I really like the "hot" (hot loaded that is, not stolen) Turkish WWII ammo that I have for it. It's so cheap right now that I feel compelled to buy large quantities of it.

NeoWeird
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, when I first got into rimfires (which I love by the way) I had like 5,000 rounds and only two rifles, and all of that fit in one ammo can.

I've yet to buy centerfire ammo in bulk, and I usually only buy what I need before I go to the range, so I only ever have 500-1,000 rounds of centerfire ammo on hand at any given time. I remember talking to someone and the topic of ammo at home came up (I think it was me replying out to loud to such a news report) and they asked the question "Oh, and how much ammo do you have at your house; 100 rounds?" All I could do was smirk and not laugh in their face. :rolleyes:

accordingtoome
05-18-2006, 11:04 PM
No, One MILLION rounds of ammo.......!

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/rbotoole/2005/09/25/dr_evil_pinky.jpg

hahahaa great pic

oaklander
05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes, after I build my OLL, I might have to get myself a rimfire - maybe an old C&R training gun, since I got the C&R license.

Centerfire ammo gets expensive - the ammo for my PPK costs about 16 cents per round when I buy it in bulk, and I can go through 300 rounds in one trip to the range.

Ironically, the ammo for my Mauser costs less than 10 cents per round, or maybe a little more when I factor shipping. Of course, if I shot 300 rounds of that stuff in one afternoon, I'd have to start seeing a chiropracter. I weigh about 250 pounds, and even shooting that stuff through a 10 pound rifle, it still throws a big flame and kicks like the Dickens.

five.five-six
05-19-2006, 12:15 AM

k

ok....just how many rounds do you have???

adamsreeftank
05-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Centerfire ammo gets expensive - the ammo for my PPK costs about 16 cents per round when I buy it in bulk, and I can go through 300 rounds in one trip to the range.

The 50 bmg ammo I buy is between $3-$5 per round. Luckily, I can only shoot so much of it before my shoulder is starting to change color.

To the question of "what's the most ammo I can have in my house?" I would reply, how big is your house?

oaklander
05-19-2006, 12:51 AM
ok....just how many rounds do you have???

I'm not sure, I tend to buy it online when it's on sale. The local gun shop is WAY expensive, plus they don't carry a wide assortment of ammo.

That's why the idea of forcing gun owners to only buy ammo from gun stores bothers me. I collect curios & relics. I shudder at the thought of trying to get ammo for something like a K31 or a Mosin or a Swiss Mauser if I had to order it from my local gun shop.

Where I live in Norcal, the closest gun shop likes to charge crazy prices for most everything. They are trying to sell crappy used SKSs for $249, when I can get unissued ones for $140. The other day I had to get some soft point 30 carbine so I could shoot my M1 Carbine at a certain range. It was over $30 for one box of 50 rounds.

I like to patronize my local gun shop as a way of supporting them, so I go there from time to time and buy things like cleaning supplies and targets, but for ammo and guns, I order wholesale from vendors in Shotgun News.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I guess the reason that I have a lot of ammo is that the only way I can afford it is to save up and buy it in bulk wholesale. :D

Rumpled
05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
To the question of "what's the most ammo I can have in my house?" I would reply, how big is your house?

Beat me to it.

Or, how much can you hide from the wife?

five.five-six
05-19-2006, 1:11 AM
I'm not sure, I tend to buy it online when it's on sale. The local gun shop is WAY expensive, plus they don't carry a wide assortment of ammo.

That's why the idea of forcing gun owners to only buy ammo from gun stores bothers me. I collect curios & relics. I shudder at the thought of trying to get ammo for something like a K31 or a Mosin or a Swiss Mauser if I had to order it from my local gun shop.

Where I live in Norcal, the closest gun shop likes to charge crazy prices for most everything. They are trying to sell crappy used SKSs for $249, when I can get unissued ones for $140. The other day I had to get some soft point 30 carbine so I could shoot my M1 Carbine at a certain range. It was over $30 for one box of 50 rounds.

I like to patronize my local gun shop as a way of supporting them, so I go there from time to time and buy things like cleaning supplies and targets, but for ammo and guns, I order wholesale from vendors in Shotgun News.

Not sure if that answers your question, but I guess the reason that I have a lot of ammo is that the only way I can afford it is to save up and buy it in bulk wholesale. :D

just wonering I am not sure either, I probably have 3-4k not counting .22

NeoWeird
05-19-2006, 1:30 AM
[QUOTE=five.five-six]just wonering I am not sure either, I probably have 3-4k not counting .22[/QUOTE

That's totally fine. A LOT more than I have, but still WAY within reason. I remember someone posting some images on arf (it may have been Paul, the Hometown moderator for California) with pictures of their SHTF supplies. Amoung them were several pictures of their firearms and ammo. They basically had seperate safes and cabinets per caliber, and had a wall a couple cases thick and about 4-5 feet high of bulk surplus ammo in the garage. Needless to say, he didn't need to worry about ammo for quite a while.

I would say a healthy ammo supply would be one that is rotated once a year for any ammo not in long term storage. What I mean is, you should not have any ammo in your current usage that has been sitting on your shelf/in your gun for over a year. Not because of quality, but just as good practice. I wouldn't trust ammo that has been sitting in my handgun for too long as a defensive firearm. Sure the ammo will be more than fine, but I don't like the idea of it. I guess if you don't shoot it you won't know if it's a good/bad lot of ammo, or if it cycles well in your gun, etc. I also don't like the idea of my home defense handgun being left loaded for too long (I try to unload the mag and reload it every other week or so, just to prevent any binds, etc). Anyways, now that I have gone way off topic, what I was trying to get at is I like to go to the range and use the ammo I had in my handguns for defense right away. After that I shoot whever else I brought with me, and leave just enough to load the mags for when I get home. That way whatever ammo I bring home with me is the freshest ammo available and I know it works. Just something I like to do, probably more nuerotic than logical, but whatever, it helps me sleep at night.

50BMGBOB
05-19-2006, 1:37 AM
It is the fire code that you have to check. I know that there are limits to how much powder you can store at home. I also know that it is differant for blackpowder as aposed to smokeless. But I don't know the limits off the top of my head.
Myself, I'm getting low on ammo, just in the 10,000 range (22LR to 50BMG) and only about 12lbs of powder. And that is less than one year supply.

EOD Guy
05-19-2006, 5:28 AM
It is the fire code that you have to check. I know that there are limits to how much powder you can store at home. I also know that it is differant for blackpowder as aposed to smokeless. But I don't know the limits off the top of my head.
Myself, I'm getting low on ammo, just in the 10,000 range (22LR to 50BMG) and only about 12lbs of powder. And that is less than one year supply.

The limits for black powder and smokeless powder are in the California Health and Safety Code. The limit for black powder without a permit is one pound. The limit for smokeless powder without a permit is 20 pounds.

Here is the applicable section of the code:

CALIFORNIA CODES
HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE

(f) For the purposes of this part, "explosives" does not include
any destructive device, as defined in Section 12301 of the Penal
Code, nor does it include ammunition or small arms primers
manufactured for use in shotguns, rifles, and pistols.

12101. (a) No person shall do any one of the following without
first having made application for and received a permit in accordance
with this section:
(1) Manufacture explosives.
(2) Sell, furnish, or give away explosives.
(3) Receive, store, or possess explosives.
(4) Transport explosives.
(5) Use explosives.

12102. This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20
pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black
sporting powder, provided that:
(a) Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of small
arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.
(b) Black sporting powder is intended for loading of small arms or
small arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.
(c) All such powder is for private use and not for resale, and, in
the case of black sporting powder, there shall be no gift, delivery,
or other disposition to another person.
(d) The storage, use and handling of such smokeless and black
powder conforms to rules, regulations, or ordinances of authorities
having jurisdiction for fire prevention and suppression in the area
of such storage, use, and handling of such explosives.

There is also a limit on the number of primers you may have without a permit. I believe it is around 20,000 but I'm not positive. I believe that limit is in the Fire Codes.

bwiese
05-19-2006, 6:40 AM
I get nervous when I have less than 5000 rds of ammo.

I get nervous when less than 2000 rounds are under my bed.

Rumpled
05-19-2006, 7:21 AM
Wow, only 1 lb of black powder?
That's like; well, nothing.

What are guys with cannons supposed to do?
I know, get a permit. Get an approved fire cabinet, pay fees, consent to searches yadda yadda yadda.

dwtt
05-19-2006, 8:13 AM
The limits for black powder and smokeless powder are in the California Health and Safety Code. The limit for smokeless powder without a permit is 20 pounds.
Uh oh, 20 pounds? I better start reloading all those empty 30-06 and .223 cases I've collected this year.

Benellishooter
05-19-2006, 11:45 AM
I get nervous when I have less than 5000 for any given weapons system (Garand, Mini-14, SKS, ect..)

snobordr
05-19-2006, 3:12 PM
They're upset and associating Armageddon w/only 21 guns and 10K rounds of ammo???

Geez, they have really low standards ;)

Bill W.

My new sig :D

ETA: This quote is from a thread over at arfcom, I felt it pretty much sums up the feeling that most of us have when we see one of these news reports.

Bling Bling 2.0
05-19-2006, 3:13 PM

I think that would make me nervous of there being a fire.

Bling Bling 2.0
05-19-2006, 3:18 PM
[QUOTE=five.five-six]just wonering I am not sure either, I probably have 3-4k not counting .22[/QUOTE

That's totally fine. A LOT more than I have, but still WAY within reason. I remember someone posting some images on arf (it may have been Paul, the Hometown moderator for California) with pictures of their SHTF supplies. Amoung them were several pictures of their firearms and ammo. They basically had seperate safes and cabinets per caliber, and had a wall a couple cases thick and about 4-5 feet high of bulk surplus ammo in the garage. Needless to say, he didn't need to worry about ammo for quite a while.

I would say a healthy ammo supply would be one that is rotated once a year for any ammo not in long term storage. What I mean is, you should not have any ammo in your current usage that has been sitting on your shelf/in your gun for over a year. Not because of quality, but just as good practice. I wouldn't trust ammo that has been sitting in my handgun for too long as a defensive firearm. Sure the ammo will be more than fine, but I don't like the idea of it. I guess if you don't shoot it you won't know if it's a good/bad lot of ammo, or if it cycles well in your gun, etc. I also don't like the idea of my home defense handgun being left loaded for too long (I try to unload the mag and reload it every other week or so, just to prevent any binds, etc). Anyways, now that I have gone way off topic, what I was trying to get at is I like to go to the range and use the ammo I had in my handguns for defense right away. After that I shoot whever else I brought with me, and leave just enough to load the mags for when I get home. That way whatever ammo I bring home with me is the freshest ammo available and I know it works. Just something I like to do, probably more nuerotic than logical, but whatever, it helps me sleep at night.

I'll take any of your old or not so fresh ammuntion! hehe I have some surplus ammo at home for my Mauser that was made in 1932. Pretty interesting if you think that these were bullets that were made before the biggest war of all time and were NOT used.

adamsreeftank
05-19-2006, 3:28 PM

I hope you don't smoke in bed.

Dont Tread on Me
05-19-2006, 4:01 PM
Or, how much can you hide from the wife?

This is my problem. I feel like I'm in one of those WWII POW escape movies where I'm hidding ammo rather than dirt around the place:)

Is it true that on-line vendors have to infom the city when sending ammo to San Francisco?

icormba
05-19-2006, 4:10 PM
Ammo stored at home? that's silly! I buy ammo at my local Sporting Goods store with my photo id each and everytime I go to the range! ;)

cnyankee
05-19-2006, 5:40 PM
not counting 22s i have 6 guns (1 that shoots 2 different rounds and 1 that shoots 3 different rounds). i always have at least 2000 rounds of each which is at least 18000 rounds. of the 22s i have 10000 rounds. i think that is very reasonable and i shoot a lot.

MadMex
05-19-2006, 6:13 PM
Glad to see that someone mentioned fire codes. Also check with an insurance agent (obviously not your own) on what the underwriter will cover in the event that “larger than expected” amounts of ammo or powder exacerbate a fire or some other destructive situation. Be very explicit in your questions. Fortunately, the majority of my ammo stash is locked up in an outbuilding with an alarm.

Dont Tread on Me
05-19-2006, 6:24 PM
I did a google on "ammunition" and "fire code" for my city at got the following. Looks like it is the response to questions from residents of a trailer park. I think 750,000 rounds of ammo is a pretty resonable limit!

"The California Administrative Code and the California Fire Code prohibits the storage of more than 750,000 rounds of small arms ammunition in any one building and states no more than 100,000 rounds may be stored in any one pile."

http://www.ci.mtnview.ca.us/citydepts/cd/pdf/Mobile_Home_Park_Community_Meeting_Report_090403.p df

dawson8r
05-19-2006, 7:05 PM
Since I'm a software developer I decided to merge my hobby with my other skills and created a program and database for my firearms, ammo, and shooting related activities (cleaning, IDPA, IPSC, plinking). Right now I'm running about 4600 rounds. What can I say, I'm a geek with guns!

accordingtoome
05-19-2006, 8:43 PM
wow im really low right now as i have been crunched with cash im down to about 1000 or so rounds of 223, 308, 45gap, 9mm, 40, eek i have to go shopping soon. :(

GTKrockeTT
05-19-2006, 8:51 PM
i'd tally mine up...but, the wife might walk in. :eek:

Mssr. Eleganté
05-19-2006, 10:39 PM
"The California Administrative Code and the California Fire Code prohibits the storage of more than 750,000 rounds of small arms ammunition in any one building and states no more than 100,000 rounds may be stored in any one pile."

Yikes!

Excuse me for a moment while I go move some of my ammo into a second pile. Is there a definition of "pile" in the law? Do you think moving half of the ammo to the other side of the dining room would qualify as a different pile?

wutzu
05-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Lemme see, my house is about 2200 sq ft with high ceilings, but I'd want room for a bed and a kegerator, so i'm gonna say...23 million rounds

BillCA
05-20-2006, 7:47 AM
Buying ammo in bulk is usually cheaper in the long run but I've also brought home 1000 rounds of 45 only to discover I still had an unopened box of 500 that I'd forgotten about. Anyone else have a walk-in closet that doubles as an ammo bunker? ;)

An amusing story about reporters - Not long after the infamous Sacramento shooting involving an SKS a friend of mine and I went to a gun shop to pick up his Auto-Ordinance semi-auto Thompson. A local reporter was there from the "BS" affiliate asking about the power of the SKS rifle such as "was it true that you can fire it straight through an armored car with one?"

The dealer brought out the Thompson and I thought she was going to wet herself. "Is that a machine gun?" :eek: After patiently explaining it was a semi-auto version she said "I thought automatics were illegal." *sigh* After fifteen minutes she still could not grasp the difference between semi and full auto weaponry. "But what do you need it for?" Was the last straw for me. I picked up the gun, attached the empty drum magazine, racked the bolt and held it at port-arms. I asked "Seeing this, would YOU want to break into my house?" She shook her head. "Neither would a career criminal or rapist. THAT's what it's good for." I'm sure she was convinced we were a couple of nut cases.

Has anyone here used Load-X for buying ammo since it changed hands? Paul & Margie used to hit the gun show circuit and their stuff was decent. I don't have any feedback on their products since Margie sold the business when Paul passed away.

Turbinator
05-20-2006, 8:55 AM
Has anyone here used Load-X for buying ammo since it changed hands? Paul & Margie used to hit the gun show circuit and their stuff was decent. I don't have any feedback on their products since Margie sold the business when Paul passed away.

I stopped using Load-X long ago when I had a squib round that jammed a bullet into the barrel of one of my guns. The range was Target Masters in Milpitas. I brought some friends to the range so that they could try target shooting, and I had them buy Load-X reloads (cheaper than factory) from the range. During a string of firing, one of the guests had trouble with one of my guns, which was rather unusual since that gun was normally very reliable in operation. I took a look and I noticed that it would not chamber a round completely. Upon further inspection, there was a bullet lodged in the barrel not too far outside the chamber. I took apart the gun and went to the counter to ask if they had a wooden stick or something I could use to punch out the stuck bullet. The guy had a metal rod, so we carefully placed that in the muzzle end of the barrel and hammered out the bullet. It only took a few strikes on the rod to do this.

I was convinced that the round had either low powder, or no powder, and the shooter being inexperienced, did not realize that the last round fired was not normal in sound or recoil. They tried to chamber another round, which promptly got stuck. I'm just glad that the round couldn't chamber completely, else who knows what would have happened if it could? Boom?

To this day I stopped trusting other people's reloads and only shoot my own. I've not yet had this sort of problem with my own loads, the key is to be paranoid and take lots of time and care in loading. I double check all settings and weigh powders before, during, and after a loading session.

Just my feedback on the topic.

Turby

Hunter
05-20-2006, 9:21 AM
............."The California Administrative Code and the California Fire Code prohibits the storage of more than 750,000 rounds of small arms ammunition in any one building and states no more than 100,000 rounds may be stored in any one pile."

Actually this seems to have been misread by the person responding to the original question.

First, the 750,000 qty applies to the storage of primers and not ammunition and the 100,000 qty per pile is for a 15ft pile separation. Secondly, this rule applies to commerical operations.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/5374.html

For residential firecodes, most local gov./fire departments have adopted the 2000 Uniform Fire Code (UFC) as their basis for regulations concerning these matters. However, the word of the the local Fire Marshall is the ultimate authority and they will routinly put in place more stringent regulations. But with that said, there is no fixed amount of small arms ammunitions specified in the UFC. It covers the storage of black powder, smokeless powder, primers, and other such material, but is exempts small arms ammunition (less than .75 cal) per section 7701.1. So the bottom line is that any regulation controlling the qty allowed in one location is up to your local Fire Marshall to impose or not.

xenophobe
05-20-2006, 12:53 PM
I did a google on "ammunition" and "fire code" for my city at got the following. Looks like it is the response to questions from residents of a trailer park. I think 750,000 rounds of ammo is a pretty resonable limit!

http://www.ci.mtnview.ca.us/citydepts/cd/pdf/Mobile_Home_Park_Community_Meeting_Report_090403.p df

Ah, that's nice to know! I live in Mtn View too! :D

SemiAutoSam
05-20-2006, 12:58 PM
If you can get through your front door.

You dont have enough ammo!!!

snobordr
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM

What if it is a preban pile or pile without "features"?

NRAhighpowershooter
05-21-2006, 2:04 PM
My inventory stands at about 40K right now........