PDA

View Full Version : Central / NorCal camping recommendation?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-18-2006, 9:47 PM
We go camping every year, sometimes a couple times. Often our groups number in the dozens, and they're at established campgrounds. We're still doing that, but a couple of us want to do some "real" camping. We want to steer clear of the established campgrounds, hike through forest for miles and pitch tents. We want to be able to carry and shoot guns. I don't think we'll be hunting, as I don't think any of us have the licenses. So being around game isn't necessary. Basically we want off the beaten path, no paved campsites with pamphlets and bathrooms and showers. We're thinking National Forest land, I like how Mendocino NF is looking, but one of the guys thinks out there we'll run into illegal pot farms or something and have people shooting at us or something. I donno how realistic that is, but does anybody have some suggestions for what we're looking to do?

big jon
05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
mananchie jeep trail passed kenedy medows its at the end of the road and a river runs thru it for fishing ive hunted up there a couple times i think its ok to shoot anytime, have you looked at death valley? i went up there every week end for a couple years always had a good time?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-23-2006, 4:53 PM
I tried figuring out those directions using Google Earth. I can find Kennedy Meadows, but after that, kinda nothing.

Anybody else have suggestions?

Pthfndr
05-23-2006, 7:18 PM
There's all kinds of places where you could go and do that in the El Dorado and Stanislaus NFs. The ranger stations for those places will have USFS maps that show the NFS roads (dirt) that will get you out to the boonies.

Below 8000 feet the snow is pretty much all gone, and temps are moderate during the day.

zombieflanders
05-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Try the Bishop/Lone pine area. All kinds of places to hike, camp, & shoot. Some damn fine fishing, too. I usually backpack up in Mammoth, some awsome country, and easy to avoid crowds, but not sure on being allowed to shoot.