PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation on Auto Shotgun.

cornholio1
05-18-2006, 8:54 PM
I know Mossberg has a rep for being a value buy. But do they also make value autoshotguns? I haven;t had a chance to check prices, as I don't know jack about shotguns and don't want to be taken to the cleaners at the local gun shop. Any insight on value prices shotguns is appreciated. SHould I go with a pump or auto? My friend has a pump, but he really wants an auto. Thanks. What price range will I be looking at? Thanks

jdberger
05-18-2006, 9:18 PM
Benelli

You'll never regret it.

xenophobe
05-19-2006, 9:16 AM
What are you going to use it for? That's going to make a whole world of difference in any recommendation...

glen avon
05-19-2006, 9:31 AM
to answer your question, yes Mossy autos are good. but to give good advice, Xeno is correct in that we need to know the $$ and use.

jdberger
05-20-2006, 12:52 AM
to answer your question, yes Mossy autos are good. but to give good advice, Xeno is correct in that we need to know the $$ and use.
Not really...Benelli is great for everything.

If you need an HD gun or want to be tacticool, the M series is great.
Waterfowl. . . . The SBE series
Upland . . . Montefeltro (also works pretty great for skeet)

With the different barrel lengths and choke tubes, there isn't anything an autoloader can do that a Benelli can't do as well or better.

Yes, I have an 1100, but I LOVE my Benelli's.

cornholio1
05-20-2006, 6:16 AM

If you need an HD gun or want to be tacticool, the M series is great.
Waterfowl. . . . The SBE series
Upland . . . Montefeltro (also works pretty great for skeet)

With the different barrel lengths and choke tubes, there isn't anything an autoloader can do that a Benelli can't do as well or better.

Yes, I have an 1100, but I LOVE my Benelli's.

Well. I want to be able to use it for home defense and some type of target shooting (non clays). It would be a plus to shoot clays also. But mostly for plinking. I want to spend less than $400. Kinda want to spend 200-300, but 400 is tops.

jdberger
05-20-2006, 9:07 AM
I want to spend less than $400. Kinda want to spend 200-300, but 400 is tops.Well, guess that Benelli is out, then.

Try a Rem 1100. You can get different length barrels for it. You'll have to do a lot of shopping to find one that cheap.

cornholio1
05-20-2006, 3:41 PM
Well, guess that Benelli is out, then.

Try a Rem 1100. You can get different length barrels for it. You'll have to do a lot of shopping to find one that cheap.

I found a Rem pump for 299 and a benelli for 359. are they good buys?

glen avon
05-20-2006, 3:55 PM
get the mossberg combo when it goes on sale at Big 5 for less than $300. unbeatable deal.

bunghole.

uh huh huh huh uh huh huh. uh huh huh uh huh huh huh huh uh huh huh.

6172crew
05-20-2006, 4:43 PM
I have a Benelli M1, its pretty cool but you have to use high loads and whips your azz if you empty the tube as fast as you can.

It wont cycle light loads like the Remmy 1100 or 1187 which is what your 3 gun guys use.

My 870 wingmaster with a Police barrel works great for home use.

The M1 would work better if I was dealing with rabid dogs or a gang of folks at my door.

Get a used 1187 IMHO

xenophobe
05-20-2006, 5:23 PM

Not really. Try ordering parts. :p

I'd take a Beretta Extrema over a Super Black Eagle any day. And for tactical, a 1201FP3 or 11-87 over a M1 Super90 without a second thought. I do love the M1 Tactical, but I'd rather have a tricked out 11-87.

Well. I want to be able to use it for home defense and some type of target shooting (non clays). It would be a plus to shoot clays also. But mostly for plinking. I want to spend less than $400. Kinda want to spend 200-300, but 400 is tops.

If you're looking for an auto, you might find a used 1100 for under $400. Fixed choke most likely... That's quite a small budget for a semi. For under $400 you can get a nice Mossberg combo with a 28" and 18.5" barrel set, so you can have both a target and home defense combo.

dhl
05-20-2006, 5:58 PM
Hi,

I've only shot: Mossbergs, Winchesters, Remingtons, Ithicas, High-Standards and maybe some others. I've never shot a Benelli. What make's the Benellis' so good?

Thank you!

Joe

SC_00_05
05-21-2006, 6:22 PM
Beretta 1201 FP if you want a "tactical" type semi. I got mine with a 6 +1 magazine, 18 inch barrel, PG full stock and night sites for $500 used but I've seen them cheaper and approach $400. It's just a cheaper (only dollar wise) version of the Benelli and many parts are apparently interchangable. It doesn't like very light weight loads however, and definitely has some kick with full loads.

glen avon
05-22-2006, 7:00 AM
What makes the Benellis so good?

the inertial operating system, which never gets dirty and never needs cleaning and is the most reliable semi-auto shotgun we have today.

but it also the reason some dislike the Benelli, b/c it is not too tolerant of varying loads etc., and it has a sharper recoil (still less than a pump, though).

jessegpresley
05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Glen, I've been reading that the Benelli's used in Iraq were all getting gummed up because of all the sand.

Despite this, the Benelli is still the most reliable?

glen avon
05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
any gun will get dirty in Iraq from what I understand. Benelli's advantage is that there is no gas system to also get dirty.

jdberger
05-22-2006, 5:21 PM
Not really. Try ordering parts. :p

I'd take a Beretta Extrema over a Super Black Eagle any day. And for tactical, a 1201FP3 or 11-87 over a M1 Super90 without a second thought. I do love the M1 Tactical, but I'd rather have a tricked out 11-87.

If you're looking for an auto, you might find a used 1100 for under $400. Fixed choke most likely... That's quite a small budget for a semi. For under $400 you can get a nice Mossberg combo with a 28" and 18.5" barrel set, so you can have both a target and home defense combo.
Never had a problem with parts. I just don't order them from Benelli. :p
Also, I was thinking about a stock gun. A little sumthin sumthin from Vang or even Scattergun is wonderful, but will toss you well over the $1k mark.

The Berettas make my left hand filthy with all that redirected gas. They were never too fond of my homebrew loads either. Benelli took them all and asked for more (really did! Mine talks to me!). :D

JaeFern
05-22-2006, 6:37 PM
Haha I wish mine talked to me. I bought a Mossberg 500 combo from Big 5 for 220. I've had no problems so far. Plan on getting a Beretta though since I'm giving my dad my mossberg.

sargenv
05-22-2006, 11:26 PM
I read the posts and saw that no one here reccomended the Browning Gold. I shoot one for hunting and 3-gun (Hunter 3" model) and I find that it is one of the better choices I've ever made. Sure you have to clean it (less often with target loads). But every gun out there has it's own quirks. I dislike most of the other auto-loaders due to having to put one in the side and hit a button before loading into the tube. The Gold is the only one (besides the old humpback Browning Auto-5) that you can feed one into the mag (on an open bolt) and it will load itself. It's a nifty feature and one that is faster than having to drop one in the side and either activate via side button or bottom button (ie 1100). I have both The Mossberg combo and a couple 870's and I shoot the Gold more than the others because the Gold will handle everything from those 7/8 ounce wal-mart loads up to 3" magnum turkey loads with ease. They also don't hurt you quite as much as if you'd shot them in a pump or inertia system (Benelli).

I'd say take a look at one. They are pricey, but not really much more pricey than the Beretta's, Black eagle's, or any comparably priced semi-auto.

Vince

-hanko
05-23-2006, 6:06 AM
I read the posts and saw that no one here reccomended the Browning Gold. I shoot one for hunting and 3-gun (Hunter 3" model) and I find that it is one of the better choices I've ever made.

Vince
Or the Win X2 for less money.

-hanko

magmaster
05-23-2006, 7:41 AM
Now I thought the Beretta shot guns were made by Benelli also? They look the same and they have the same actions for the most part

Benellis are really nice and they have some cheaper company versions as well. Go to their website and check them out, I think they are called Stoger?
Just remeber you get what you pay for. Also try Turners on line gun rack and see if they have anything on consignment.

I personally have a Nova pump by Benelli and i love it. I have had Mossbergs in the past and used 870's and they are both great. But I like the feel of my Nova over the Rem. and Moss. but thats just me. And it got a good workout over the weekend and it performed flawlessly in the sand and wind. I was hunting rabbits in the desert and shooting some skeet as well. 20-30mph winds all day and getting sand blasted. Never failed once, sure it needed to be cleaned but it functioned all day.

jessegpresley
05-23-2006, 1:28 PM
Or the Win X2 for less money.

-hanko

There's an FN SLP on Gunbroker for $650. It has the same action as the X2 or Browning Gold. Although I think the Browning Gold has the elevator function which does not come with the X2 or FN. But the FN for $650 is a hell of a deal for an auto loading shotgun.

any gun will get dirty in Iraq from what I understand. Benelli's advantage is that there is no gas system to also get dirty.

Glen, it was my understanding that the ones issued in Iraq are M4's which are gas operated. Am I incorrect? The M1 and M2 are not.

sargenv
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
The Reason the X2 is less money is because they didn't put that feature of speed loading into it. I'd happily pay the extra money for that feature. Watching people fumble for that button while I just load up normally, is a reason why I'll take the Gold (or even an auto-5) over any other shotgun made save a Saiga with it's ability to take magazines.

Vince

homerm14
05-24-2006, 11:15 AM
There's an FN SLP on Gunbroker for $650. It has the same action as the X2 or Browning Gold. Although I think the Browning Gold has the elevator function which does not come with the X2 or FN. But the FN for $650 is a hell of a deal for an auto loading shotgun.

Glen, it was my understanding that the ones issued in Iraq are M4's which are gas operated. Am I incorrect? The M1 and M2 are not.

The Benelli M4 is gas operated via two seperate systems for redundency. I say go with the Benelli M3. I love mine and if the loads are to light for semi auto just switch it to pump. As far as the Beretta goes it is similar to the Benelli and accurate when it works. My department issues them in each patrol vehicle. We have had some serious jaming problems with them. On the range at least one out of five will jam so bad its out of commision. Thats after very few rounds.

jessegpresley
05-24-2006, 1:01 PM
Thank you for verifying what I surmised, Homer. I was pretty sure the M4 was gas, so when Glen Avon said Benelli's are more reliable because they aren't gas operated it had me confused.

Brass Balls
05-24-2006, 1:17 PM
I like this one a whole bunch. It came as shown, less light, for about $700. It's called a Remington Competition Master and its capacity is 8+1.

http://home.comcast.net/~1911brass/HD_Shotgun.jpg

Mesa Tactical
05-24-2006, 1:19 PM

The US Army and USMC are using the Benelli M1014, the military variant of the gas operated Benelli M4. This platform was selected after the inertial system M1 failed in trials. Probably someone was using low recoil rounds.

On the other hand, the M4/M1014 platform seems to have a relatively light recoil, which might also have made it attractive to the military.

We have heard of a lot of failures of the M104 in Iraq. It might be due to the weapon needing a lot of lubrication, a condition that is incompatible with dusty environments. Personally, my M4 failed repeatedly during combat training unless I kept it literally wet with lubricant, but that can only be considered purely anecdotal information.

Such is what we hear through the grapevine. The men we have spoken to personally who have used the M1014 in Iraq, generally reservists who are LEOs during their day jobs (and thus usually more acquainted with the proper application of a shotgun than your usual active duty soldier or Marine), have given the platform good marks.

We like our M4. It's a sexy platform for bling:

http://www.mesatactical.com/images/mesa_tactical_fcam_benelli_april_06_rail.jpg
http://www.mesatactical.com/images/mesa_tactical_fcam_benelli_april_06_grip.jpg

http://www.mesatactical.com/images/fcam_0605_progress.jpg

ivanimal
05-25-2006, 7:16 AM
+1 for the Browning gold hunter. Mine is a 3 1/2. You cant go wrong with the super X 2 either they are made side by side at the same factory and the Winchester is 200 bucks less with a little faster action. They claim to be the fastest action in a semi auto shotgun.

glen avon
05-25-2006, 7:28 AM
Thank you for verifying what I surmised, Homer. I was pretty sure the M4 was gas, so when Glen Avon said Benelli's are more reliable because they aren't gas operated it had me confused.

apparently I was the one who was confused... D'oh!