PDA

View Full Version : PPT Question

BigJim_610
09-15-2010, 8:11 AM
My friend and I are trading guns.

I am trading him a .45 he is trading his M1 Garand to me.

We want to be 100% legal and have an appointment at an FFL.

I realize he will have to wait 10 days for the 45, but will I have to wait ten days for me to take posesion of a 50 YO C&R long gun?

Thanks,

BJ

rromeo
09-15-2010, 8:33 AM
If you go through the ffl, the Garand must be DROSed and 10 day wait applies. Otherwise he can just hand over the rifle and you only bring the pistol to the FFL.

jtmkinsd
09-15-2010, 9:44 AM
My friend and I are trading guns.

I am trading him a .45 he is trading his M1 Garand to me.

We want to be 100% legal and have an appointment at an FFL.

I realize he will have to wait 10 days for the 45, but will I have to wait ten days for me to take posesion of a 50 YO C&R long gun?

Thanks,

BJ

As long as the Garand is in it's original configuration, and is 50 years old or older (serial number search) it is cash and carry, no FFL needed. you can put the garand in your trunk and go with him to the FFL to do the PPT on the .45. Be sure to bring a lock with the .45 so you don't end up having to buy one. :D

BigJim_610
09-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks,

BJ

ragenmoan
09-15-2010, 1:15 PM
don't forget to bring the receipt to prove that the lock was purchased within 30 days of bringing the handgun home....

jtmkinsd
09-15-2010, 2:17 PM
don't forget to bring the receipt to prove that the lock was purchased within 30 days of bringing the handgun home....

If the lock is presented to the FFL when the gun is brought in for transfer, no receipt is required.

BigJim_610
09-15-2010, 2:27 PM
Can't I just bring a trigger lock from home? One that I have ownerd for years?
...And I am trading the .45 not receiving it.

If the lock is presented to the FFL when the gun is brought in for transfer, no receipt is required.

dachan
09-15-2010, 3:21 PM
Can't I just bring a trigger lock from home? One that I have ownerd for years?
...And I am trading the .45 not receiving it.

Bottomline, bring in a CA approved lock with the .45 when you walk into the store and the lock will be considered part of the gun purchase. I.e., if the buyer supplies the lock, buyers hands the lock to the seller outside the store so that the lock is with the gun when the gun enters the store.

todd2968
09-15-2010, 3:50 PM
Bottomline, bring in a CA approved lock with the .45 when you walk into the store and the lock will be considered part of the gun purchase. I.e., if the buyer supplies the lock, buyers hands the lock to the seller outside the store so that the lock is with the gun when the gun enters the store.

Unless your FFL is completely ignorant of the law like Iron Sights in OceanSide, CA

jtmkinsd
09-15-2010, 5:37 PM
Yeah...I don't care where or who the lock came from...as long as one is with the gun when it's put on the counter you're good 2 go.

tenpercentfirearms
09-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah the lock varies from FFL to FFL. I think most of the FFLs here would be fine if a gun came with a lock just like brand new factory guns usually come with a lock. Some dealers really make good money on lock sales though and will not allow you to do this to protect their bottom line.