PDA

View Full Version : OLL lunacy and it's impact on the M1A

calAWBsux
05-18-2006, 4:31 PM
Well, considering that future law may become even more ridiculous in it's scope is it possible that the sacred M1A will be banned?

leelaw
05-18-2006, 4:33 PM
It's always been possible that the M1A will be banned. This changed nothing.

bwiese
05-18-2006, 4:46 PM
Nothing's changed.

The legislature could find the M1A so bad it writes a special ban and adds them to Roberti Roos list. Hell, the BM59 was banned that way, as well as the SKS w/detachable magazine - both topologically similar to the M1A (aside from any flash hider issues etc).

Even before all this off-list stuff occurred, there were ruminations about further legislative attacks on semiautos.

artherd
05-18-2006, 4:54 PM
Yawn, nothing, anything, etc. Now back to your regularily scheguled programming.

50 Freak
05-18-2006, 5:10 PM
Before I start, a M1A is what Springfield calls their M-14 style guns. Everyone else calls it by it's real name: the M-14.

As for M-14's getting banned. Don't think it will ever happen.

The M-14s has been used in National shooting matches for decades now, it was the firearm many old timers carried in their days with the military. It has a huge following. It's as honored as much as the M1 Garand and sacred as Gramps ole duck shotgun.

The Anti's are actually on the run now, no way they are going after something this beloved.

artherd
05-18-2006, 5:13 PM
Anyone who has an M1a should just do this and get it out of their system, it's the only way to be sure: http://www.eastpointpolice.org/SelfArrestForm.htm

shopkeep
05-18-2006, 5:13 PM
Basically they're screwed and we've got them on the run. They no longer have the option of banning anything additionally such as SKS rifles and M-1As because that will just be conveniently lumped into prop H and the "I told you so" mentality will errupt. In short, banning M-14 pattern rifles will cause SERIOUS controversy.

xenophobe
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
The M1A was on the original RR89 bill before it was approved, but enough people complained about it being a legitimate high power competition rifle that it was removed. The BM59 was also revered to be a rifle used in competition at that time, however it was not removed from the list...

The anti's have long wanted the M1A banned as well, and so far we've been lucky... One day we will not be so fortunate.

adamsreeftank
05-19-2006, 1:23 AM
It is my understanding that the M14/M1A is hardly used in high power competitions anymore. Now it's almost all AR15s.

That could go both ways:

Likely= M14 no longer needed for competition, OK to ban.

Unlikely= AR15 now needed for competition, remove the ban.

I love my M1As, and I'd like to get another before any future ban, but I don't think there will be enough opposition to banning them this time around. There're not as relevant to competition and there are less old-timers than there used to be.:(

klmmicro
05-19-2006, 5:33 AM
It is my understanding that the M14/M1A is hardly used in high power competitions anymore. Now it's almost all AR15s.

That could go both ways:

Likely= M14 no longer needed for competition, OK to ban.

Unlikely= AR15 now needed for competition, remove the ban.

I love my M1As, and I'd like to get another before any future ban, but I don't think there will be enough opposition to banning them this time around. There're not as relevant to competition and there are less old-timers than there used to be.:(

I just cannot see them removing the ban on AR type rifles. I can see them doing their jobs and adding some to the list and allowing for the proper registration of them first. It is unlikely that there will be any mass removal of banning to please the comp crowd.

While the M14 may not be overly popular in some states, it still has a large following here as it IS used for competition shooting. Regulations here keep it going as what other choice is there. It does not look like it will be banned any time soon.

Another thought is what premis do you base an M14 rifle ban on. As long as it does not have a grenade launcher or flash hider, it stays outside of the def needed to ban. So also goes the Mini-14 and Mini-30's. They are little more than miniturized versions anyway.

Banning the M1 action would be a move that would carry the issue to a much larger crowd. Easier to just leave things the way they are and maintain status quo.

vonsmith
05-19-2006, 6:47 AM
It's a never ending battle between gun nuts like us and bleeding heart liberals like them. It's move vs countermove. As gun owners, 2nd Amendment advocates, and voters we need to stay vigilant forever.

My DROS paperwork is processed, my 2 M1A's arrived at UPS yesterday, I'm seeing my FFL on Saturday morning. Life is good! :D :D :D

=vonsmith=

m1aowner
05-19-2006, 8:44 AM
Somebody sells these stickers on ar15.com.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/cherrioes02/Vote-Rooftops-2-.gif