PDA

View Full Version : My Benelli Supernova...Just the way I want it.

sante55
09-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Here's my Benelli Supernova...enjoy

Benelli Supernova Tactical 18" Barrel
Nordic Components +2 Mag extension
Nordic Components Barrel Clamp w/ Picatiinny Rail Attached
Nordic Components Follower (on order should be here next week)
Surefire X300

Twinsen
09-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Where did you find that stock? Mind saying how much you paid? I've been looking for one forever.

Are you worried about 922r conviction?

Good thing your post doesn't have legs, because I'd be humping one.

Oh and do you mind me having those images on my computer to drool over and not reproduce?

sante55
09-15-2010, 1:10 AM
I guess I'm puttin' the comfortech back on...didn't know about the 922r

Twinsen
09-15-2010, 1:16 AM
Ok bud, I'll uh... delete images. That may have existed.

I gotta get a Supernova worksheet going for 922r compliance. I think the extended mag tube fails 922r as well. But it is 3 American parts (if Nordic is American) towards it. A surefire forend would be a great part to have for the thing, wouldn't it?

sante55
09-15-2010, 1:18 AM
oh well good while it lasted

sante55
09-15-2010, 1:21 AM
thanks for the heads up btw...always good to get educated.

Twinsen
09-15-2010, 1:23 AM
No prob. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the law is that it's illegal to put a gun into 922r non-compliance, not illegal to have one in non-compliance. But yeah, try proving you weren't the one. Whatever. We'll figure this out. I bet that stock cost some dime.

sante55
09-15-2010, 1:35 AM
and Nordic Components is a U.S. company...so, I'm good with that one... :)

Twinsen
09-15-2010, 1:43 AM
Well, that's 3 parts right there. Body, spring, follower. Well, it PROBABLY is. Who knows, ynow?

sante55
09-15-2010, 1:48 AM
yup...well...i guess i'm going to order the follower from nordic as well...i just used the stock one...and it would be nice if they made more parts for the supernova...that surefire forend would be nice...thanks again

socal-ar15
09-15-2010, 10:54 AM
The supernova is a pump action so it does not fall under 922r. From what i was told that only applies to semi auto shotguns!

mmrx2
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Put the pics back up

noob_tube
09-15-2010, 3:57 PM
:useless:

kemper
09-15-2010, 6:59 PM
i would love to see your shotgun dude!!!

Twinsen
09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
922r states semi auto rifles and all shotguns.

socal-ar15
09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
I was told my super nova is legal so ill have to double check.

Twinsen
09-22-2010, 3:40 AM
"any rifle or shotgun with a folding stock or folding bayonet, and shotguns having a fixed magazine with a capacity of more than 5 cartridges and certain military style semiautomatic rifles and shotguns"

AtOne
09-25-2010, 9:48 AM
That looks killer SoCal nicely done !
What brand of tactical barrel breecher is that ?
I didn't realize that the SNT could accept chokes.
I've been weighing out picking up the collapsible stock for mine also, How do you like it ?

socal-ar15
09-28-2010, 9:30 PM
Its a briley breacher, and no I had to machine the barrel to accept a choke. I love the collapsible stock. I put the 26 inch barrel on it for Dove opener and knocked down my limit early!

bacon_lover
09-29-2010, 12:09 AM
I finally got a response back from the BATF about whether 922(r) applies to all shotguns or just semi-autos. Their response was: "Section 922R applies to both pump and semiautomatic shotguns."

Twinsen
09-29-2010, 1:19 AM
Thanks Bacon Lover.

Scary stuff! Pumps being unrestricted by 922r is reverse FUD.

Time for somebody to start producing an American made collapsing stock for these Supernovas. And time for somebody to come up with a 922r worksheet for the Supernova too.

Mercureality
10-19-2010, 3:58 AM
Wait, so a pistol grip supernova with a +2 nordic on it is in violation of 922r how? Are we 100% on this? There have been a lot of discussions about the +2 ext. on supernovas, and this is the first one where I've seen this brought up.

This is particularly interesting to me, given that the 870 tactical, which include a pistol grip, and a magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds, are sold over the counter in CA. While obviously not imported, this configuration is clearly legal in CA on non-imported firearms.

Twinsen
10-20-2010, 3:32 AM
It is illegal to build a gun that is identical to a gun that is illegal to import. A shotgun with 5+ mag capacity is illegal to import. So any of them that are imported cannot go over 5 round mags without having to comply with 922r and therefore have enough parts to not even be considered imported, but now a "non-sporting firearm" assembled in this country. You can assemble an 870 with over 5 rounds, as it isn't identical to a shotgun that is illegal to import. It is identical to a shotgun that is made domestically.

Of course it makes no sense! That's the whole point of it, to disarm anyone they can. To discourage firearm ownership. To put a gun owner in jail that doesn't know these laws that nobody has heard of.

Also, I believe it is illegal to configure a gun breaking 922r, not own one. Although they might get you on it saying you have taken the magazine off every time you cleaned it and then re-"assembled" it in the illegal configuration. Who knows. I don't know of anybody ever getting binged on 922r, but for some evil reason they have the power to do so. Because somehow there are agencies within the United States Federal Government that have non-elected employees that write laws. Congress doesn't have that power, the President doesn't have that power, Judges don't have that power. But some random Federal cops do.

socal-ar15
10-26-2010, 2:06 PM
I check with my class 3 ffl dealer and he said that collapsible stock benelli super nova's are legal. Benelli just choses not to export the because the SN is not that popular. Or so I have been told.

ROCKETW19
10-26-2010, 2:42 PM
I check with my class 3 ffl dealer and he said that collapsible stock benelli super nova's are legal. Benelli just choses not to export the because the SN is not that popular. Or so I have been told.

SNs with a Cstock are wanted very badly and sell for more. I think you dealer is not telling the truth. check GB when one pops up look at the price they go for. Or post on the benelli fourm that you have one for sale see how many PMs you get.

Twinsen
10-27-2010, 6:53 AM
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. People will pay quite a premium for that stuff.

You think people don't want a full length magazine tube? Because that's rare?! Methinks your FFL just doesn't want to scare you. I doubt anybody would go after you for 922r, but all I can say is, "Good luck."

Iggy
11-03-2010, 2:56 PM
My local FFL has a Supernover like that with pistol grip. I think they go for $500ish...

PM, if anyone wants the name and location.

iLOVEurGUNs!
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM
i have a Benelli supernova with a pistol grip that came from factory. if i put an extension tube to fit more then 5 rounds in the shotgun its considered illegal?

Twinsen
11-19-2010, 5:21 AM
i have a Benelli supernova with a pistol grip that came from factory. if i put an extension tube to fit more then 5 rounds in the shotgun its considered illegal?

That's how the law is written, yes. Illegal by federal law. Unless you put the plug in it that comes with your gun. The funny thing? You take those Aguila minishells and you can fit what, 10 of them in the stock magazine? So Supernovas are imported illegally.

Or since the Supernova has a 3.5" chamber do we consider an extended magazine only a 4 or 5 round magazine? You know, that'd make sense. Actually, that makes a lot of sense. How many 3.5" shells can fit into the Supernova magazine? That's the intended cartridge for these shotguns! I can fit 50 rounds of .22LR into a 10 round .223 magazine. But it's a 10 round magazine, not a 50 round magazine. It holds 10 of the intended round. Oh man... yes! A way around an illegally created law! Kick ***! This 870 really freaking sucks in comparison to the plastic Italian stick.

desertmedic
12-30-2010, 9:47 PM
According to a post on this site regarding PC 922R and shotguns...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-281288.html

"For the California guys:
Current California Assault Weapons Guide lines-

Shotguns:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has BOTH of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder."

Twinsen
01-30-2011, 10:21 AM
According to a post on this site regarding PC 922R and shotguns...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-281288.html

"For the California guys:
Current California Assault Weapons Guide lines-

Shotguns:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has BOTH of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder."

That is the California AWB law, which has nothing to do with the Federal law we are talking about. We're talking about federal importation restrictions which disallow post-importation configurations that do not use enough USA produced parts.

ALSO, good news!

ATF just decided that the "5 round magazine" rule only applies to full autos and semi autos. Cool.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device that delivers a round into the chamber of the firearm during automatic or semiautomatic firing.37 A magazine is either integral (tube magazine) to the firearm or is removable (box magazine). A drum magazine is a large circular magazine that is generally detachable and is designed to hold a large amount of ammunition.

So manually fed shotguns do not even have a "magazine".

However, they also banned the importation of shotguns with a bayonet lug and now consider the addition of a bayonet lug as creation of a "non-sporting firearm" which now needs to comply to 922r parts count. So if you wanted one of those model 1897 trench guns, you can no longer get a newly imported one. And if you have one, it was imported illegally. However, building or importing a 922r non-compliant gun is what is illegal. Possession of an illegally configured gun isn't illegal. But if they have any proof you ever field stripped the gun... then you at one point assembled a non-compliant gun.

Yes, wrap your brain around all of this pure logic. No stupidity involved in this lawmaking process. Your tax dollars at work, saving the world.