PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Berdan Primed cases

zfields
09-14-2010, 9:19 PM
any good info on this? Or best off just scooping up surplus ammo and save the brass untill it dries up.

XDRoX
09-15-2010, 5:36 AM
It's a PITA to reload. You can google the process. I wouldn't bother.

bucktooth7
09-15-2010, 8:47 PM
Those cases break the primer poker on my Lee decapping dies! That collet adjustment dosn't work real well. If it's too tite it breaks, if too loose it slips! Throw those cases away.

zfields
09-15-2010, 8:59 PM
well...i would expect it to break the lee dies pin, since the flashhole isnt the same...

mnguyen84
09-15-2010, 9:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQNDgjcgofY

this guy talks too much but his method is effective.

metalliman545
09-15-2010, 9:45 PM
save the brass, once you get a few hundred pounds, recycling plant! woo!

zfields
09-16-2010, 8:01 AM
Hah all I have is steel cased atm, I want to see how bad my saiga mauls the cases before I invest in dies for it.

Cowboy T
09-16-2010, 1:00 PM
Steel cased is reloadable, and folks have done it. There is such a thing as Boxer-primed steel-cased ammo, and it is sold today (check Cheaper Than Dirt, I think they have it). However, for reloading purposes, better to wait until someone has Boxer/brass ammo on sale (e. g. MFS). Assuming five reloads per case, you'll be making out ahead over buying the Berdan milsurp.

Now, if you happen across some brass Berdan cases, those can be easily adapted to use shotgun primers. If you don't use Mega-Monster loads, you should be fine. A nice reduced load with 2400 or H322 oughta do the trick

diginit
09-16-2010, 6:05 PM
Berdan have 2 flash holes off center as opposed to boxer which has only one in the center. Anyone that knows jack about surplus ammo knows this. It can be seen by looking into the case mouth.
The trick to reloading berdan primed is removing the primer. An ice pick from the OUTSIDE will work. But there are proper tools available. It screws into the primer from the outside. Then just load as usual. There are berdan primers available also. Do a search for your caliber berdan primers.

CSACANNONEER
09-16-2010, 6:12 PM
It's generally not worth reloading berdan primed cases unless you are loading something unusual. But, if you find any berdan primers for sale, please let me know who's selling them.

Chief-7700
09-16-2010, 6:50 PM
It's generally not worth reloading berdan primed cases unless you are loading something unusual. But, if you find any berdan primers for sale, please let me know who's selling them.

http://www.grafs.com/

Chief-7700
09-16-2010, 6:52 PM
Steel cased is reloadable, and folks have done it. There is such a thing as Boxer-primed steel-cased ammo, and it is sold today (check Cheaper Than Dirt, I think they have it). However, for reloading purposes, better to wait until someone has Boxer/brass ammo on sale (e. g. MFS). Assuming five reloads per case, you'll be making out ahead over buying the Berdan milsurp.

Now, if you happen across some brass Berdan cases, those can be easily adapted to use shotgun primers. If you don't use Mega-Monster loads, you should be fine. A nice reduced load with 2400 or H322 oughta do the trick

Way to much work when Brass is everywhere.

zfields
09-16-2010, 7:46 PM
If I can get reloadin 762 under 15c a round id consider it. Ill have to price it out.

Yugo milsurp is running about 18-19 per round, walmart has steel case for 4.67 per 20. Just gotta figure out what my time is worth

Thanks for the info guys