PDA

View Full Version : Forged vs Billet

Driveshaft
09-14-2010, 6:49 PM
So I've searched around in the forums and online, but i can't get a good handle on this. Some tell me forged is the only way to go, some tell me billet is better.
I would really just like the facts...what is the difference between the two and will it cause issues when fitting new parts into a stripped lower?

This is my first post so please be kind.

rubber duckie
09-14-2010, 7:03 PM
forged is lighter
billet is suppose to be stronger
it all comes down to what you want.

if you buy them from good companies there should be very little issue about fitment.

i myself like the billet look, then again i like long barrels with a scope so weight is not an issue with me.

foxtrotuniformlima
09-14-2010, 7:14 PM
IMHO, it is all about looks. The billet stuff gets a little creative with trigger guards and such. All the important dims are identical so all the parts fit the same. If you like the look, get one.

halon101
09-14-2010, 7:16 PM
billet on an upper i think is a big deal. a heave barrel can put stress and billet is going to be stronger. on the lower, its looks. the lower should match he upper right? you have to accesorize her properly.

Driveshaft
09-14-2010, 8:08 PM
thanks guys, yeah, i love the look of the mega lower for my first 308 build. been trying to figure whether or not to get it, but if weight is really the only difference, then it won't be an issue.