View Full Version : External Backup Drive issues--No Room at the Inn

09-14-2010, 5:33 PM
My dad gave me a 500gb Maxtor back up external drive, he had no problems with it but decided to go Carbonite.

My BIL, who is a computer saavy individual, set up my system to run a backup every night at 4 a.m. I believe it worked correctly at least once.

Now, however, there is a tray icon, and when I click on it, it says last backup was unsuccessful, because the drive is full. I think it suggest making room, but I don't want to delete the backup, or do I?

I thought it would either make a first backup, then only add the new stuff to the old backup, or make a new backup each time, overwirting last time's backuip. I am not sure why it is saying full, because I do not understand computers.

Anyone have any ideas, and can we pretend like I don't know anything about computers except that I need to back my stuff up.

If it makes a difference, there's nothing really critical except every photo that we have taken in about 4 years, and I will no longer be posting anywhere on this planet if the family photos are suddenly gone.

Exile Machine
09-14-2010, 5:38 PM
You said your destination drive is 500GB... What is the size of your source hard drive?

09-16-2010, 8:19 PM
My "My computer" shows the following info:

C drive 187GB free of 289, roughly 100gb

D (recovery) 730 mb free of 8.92 GB

E 291GB free of 298

MAXTOR (the backup) 4.49 MB free of 298GB

09-16-2010, 9:32 PM
There are a couple of approaches backup software can take but the bottom line is the backup drive probably has not only every file that's ever been on the C drive, but every version. I'd get the BIL to start a fresh backup and maybe see if there are some settings to control just how many old versions of things to keep around.

09-29-2010, 11:29 AM
I typically just make sure to backup files that wouldn't be easily replaced rather than an entire backup.

Typically by the time that Ihave a failure, the OS needed a fresh install anyway. Just make sure to keep up to date on backing up imprtant files and folders.

09-29-2010, 5:31 PM
You need backup software that does an incremental backup. When you make full backups you want to keep the last two and you can delete any older ones.