PDA

View Full Version : Quick release pistol grip?

icormba
05-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey all,
sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was just thinking and something came to me...
Remember, I'm just throwing ideas out there! I don't mean for anyone to try this and think it's legal just because they saw it on a forum!

Let's say your at the range and all of a sudden you run into a mag related problem? You are done for the day with that rifle until you can pack it up, take it home, and fix the problem... but even then your not sure if you really fixed the problem until you can get back to the range!

What about a "quick release" grip on your pinned mag rifles? You get a jam, so you use the quick release on the grip and remove said grip. Then you can remove your mag with a separate tool, right? Does the simple possession of a separate (un-attached) pistol grip still mean you could get into trouble?

Anyway... I know a quick release pistol grip could be made on both the FAL and AK type pinned mag rifles pretty easily. what do you all think? Has someone mentioned this before? if so... SORRY! and please ignore post.

(Quick release, something kinda like on bicycle wheels)

Jicko
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
How many times does this have to come up?

- You can ONLY detach your pistol grip and remove your magaine IF "the pistol grip" is your ONLY "evil feature"..... ie. you can't have telescoping stock AND flash-hider AND no-vertical-front-pistol-grip

- If this is ONLY for THAT extreme situation... you can remove your pistol grip with a tool -> A SCREWDRIVER!!! (that is quick enough... for all practical purpose.... )

- For CA-AR, I'm also toying with the idea of using a Armalite 10 round mag, or Stag new 10 round mag, which have removable basepate.... fit that with a Magpul Ranger plate... IF you have that "mag related problem", then you can remove your Ranger plate, drop the spring, follower, and remaining stuck rounds....(in an attempt to fix your jam)

- For CA-AR, You can ALWAYS punch out BOTH your "pivot pin" and "take down pin" to clear your "mag related problem" as what they did back in the vietnam days....

- Possession will not likely to get you into trouble.

bwiese
05-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Thank you, Jicko. You beat me to it.

The moment you've used tools to detach a fixed mag from a pistol-gripped off-list AR rifle, you've illegally constructed an AW.

(The moment you fit a pistol grip to an off-list AR-type rifle that's legally configured w/o a pistol grip, you've constructed an AW also.)

The problem is that many fixed-mag configurations also have flash hiders and telestocks so even if the PG were removed you still have a couple of other evil features still attached, so removal of PG is still moot.

If you had an off-list rifle that had ONLY a PG and had a fixed mag, and the fixed mag jammed, you could in theory remove PG and then work on the fixed mag. I dunno if I wanna be sitting at a range with a removed mag and a readily reattachable/removable pistol grip.

There's simply no "pass" in the law for "temporary" 12280(a) violations, even if they're only for a millisecond.

If it can have a pistol grip at all, it can have a pistol grip permanently.

icormba
05-18-2006, 11:09 AM
DOH!! what'a know! search actually worked on this one!
credit too DigglerD!

Granted... it wasn't titled "quick release pistol grip", it was over a month old and there are a billion threads with related titled "Quick loading CA-AR", I haven't even attempted to read them all... I have to get some work done ;)

How many times does this have to come up?

Hey all,
sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was just thinking and something came to me...
Remember, I'm just throwing ideas out there! I don't mean for anyone to try this and think it's legal just because they saw it on a forum!

Let's say your at the range and all of a sudden you run into a mag related problem? You are done for the day with that rifle until you can pack it up, take it home, and fix the problem... but even then your not sure if you really fixed the problem until you can get back to the range!

What about a "quick release" grip on your pinned mag rifles? You get a jam, so you use the quick release on the grip and remove said grip. Then you can remove your mag with a separate tool, right? Does the simple possession of a separate (un-attached) pistol grip still mean you could get into trouble?

Anyway... I know a quick release pistol grip could be made on both the FAL and AK type pinned mag rifles pretty easily. what do you all think? Has someone mentioned this before? if so... SORRY! and please ignore this post.

(Quick release, something kinda like on bicycle wheels)

icormba
05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Thank you, Jicko. You beat me to it.

The moment you've used tools to detach a fixed mag from a pistol-gripped off-list AR rifle, you've illegally constructed an AW.

(The moment you fit a pistol grip to an off-list AR-type rifle that's legally configured w/o a pistol grip, you've constructed an AW also.)

The problem is that many fixed-mag configurations also have flash hiders and telestocks so even if the PG were removed you still have a couple of other evil features still attached, so removal of PG is still moot.

If you had an off-list rifle that had ONLY a PG and had a fixed mag, and the fixed mag jammed, you could in theory remove PG and then work on the fixed mag. I dunno if I wanna be sitting at a range with a removed mag and a readily reattachable/removable pistol grip.

There's simply no "pass" in the law for "temporary" 12280(a) violations, even if they're only for a millisecond.

If it can have a pistol grip at all, it can have a pistol grip permanently.

Hey Bill, I've been on these boards almost as long as you... I am well aware of all the other items that make a rifle a AW.

A simple answer to the question... (which I deciphered from both your guys replies ;) )
"Does the simple possession of a separate (un-attached) pistol grip still mean you could get into trouble?"
Not if you don't have the other features that make it a AW

The standard AK DOES NOT have a flash hider and MOST FALs for California do not have a Flashhider (Most FAL flash hiders are also a combo GL, these are usually removed).

Either way... I found a different thread, so this thead can be deleted if the mods wish. sorry for wasting anyone's time.