PDA

View Full Version : What if range day goes bad?

insin
05-18-2006, 9:34 AM
Quick Hypothetical question...

Say you are minding your business shooting your fixed mag AR at your local range and the range master notices it. Disregaurding the fact that some ranges are run by the local LE, this range is just your run of the mill private shooting ranges. The range master is ill-informed and decides that your rifle is an AW and does not like it. Again, previously you were just minding your own business and shooting responsibly.

What actions could the range take? Most likely would they just ask you to leave? Would they try some vigilante stuff and try to retain you untill LE arrives?

Again this is just a hypothetical, and not meant to encite un-intelligent resonses. Just a concern.

Thank you,
~Dj

tenpercentfirearms
05-18-2006, 9:50 AM
Would they try some vigilante stuff and try to retain you untill LE arrives?LOL. Then you wait for LE to arrive. When LE arrives, you show them your paperwork that clearly shows what you are doing is legal then you ask them to arrest the range owners for false imprisionment and kidnapping. You sue the heck out of the range and then you own a gun range. Once the range is in your possession, you make the decision to let people shoot their off list lowers there.

Or you can shoot the range master and battle your way to freedom! :rolleyes:

artherd
05-18-2006, 10:58 AM
That would rule, I've always wanted to own a range, I hope they do effect an improper citizen's AND arrest detain me.

MotoGuy
05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Personally, I just waited for all the other OLL guys to shoot their rifles at the local range for a couple months before I brought mine. The first few that I saw at the range sparked some intrest, but now no one seems to care.

If anything I don't think the gun enthusists at the gun range are a problem, I would just worry about a traffic stop by an uniformed LEO. Even if you have a legal rifle they might take if for further investigation.

Jicko
05-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I would just worry about a traffic stop by an uniformed LEO. Even if you have a legal rifle they might take if for further investigation.

That's why DOJ WANT you to think.... Polices & Sheriffs wouldn't want to try to enforce something so vague that DOJ couldn't even figure out what is legal and what is not... I think Police/Sheriff will not try to enforce "suspected AW" unless it is together with something else....

Unknownassailant
05-18-2006, 11:19 AM
What actions could the range take? Most likely would they just ask you to leave? Would they try some vigilante stuff and try to retain you untill LE arrives?

Call your abogados Fernando alvarez. He's the guy with that phone number 1800 222 2222 on the back of the MTA buses.

CWM4A1
05-18-2006, 11:33 AM
For all the time that I go to public range (work for one, by the way), I can tell you that most of the RO don't really give a who if your gun is legal or now. We are interested in enforcing the range policy and safety rule, not CA law, since we are not sworn LEO. I have taken my registered AW to many different ranges, and so far no RO come and ask me for the paperwork (I will tell them to show me the badge or get out of my face anyway). Of course when it comes to OLL then it's a different story.

Matt C
05-18-2006, 1:32 PM
effect an improper citizen's arrest detain me.

Yeah, that would be something:rolleyes:

Crazed_SS
05-18-2006, 3:01 PM
That's why DOJ WANT you to think.... Polices & Sheriffs wouldn't want to try to enforce something so vague that DOJ couldn't even figure out what is legal and what is not... I think Police/Sheriff will not try to enforce "suspected AW" unless it is together with something else....

Being an automotive enthusiast, I dont put as much faith in cops as you do.
Cops dont know every law.. if something looks illegal, they treat it that way until they are convinced otherwise.

Big hassle.

ohsmily
05-18-2006, 3:12 PM
For all the time that I go to public range (work for one, by the way), I can tell you that most of the RO don't really give a who if your gun is legal or now.

They don't give a WHO????? I think you mean they don't give a HOOT.

Funny guys.

VeryCoolCat
05-18-2006, 3:15 PM
Call your abogados Fernando alvarez. He's the guy with that phone number 1800 222 2222 on the back of the MTA buses.
FIRST off... thats a lawyer that specializes in auto claims.

SECOND off... most ranges will ask you to leave rather than hold you unless your doing something really illegal. Like shooting an FA or a short barrel shotgun. Most times they won't ask questions, its not their responsibility to enforce the law, just to keep the place safe. BTW its a private buisness, they have the right to refuse service to anyone. So follow their rules.

THIRD off... I would be more worried about others on the range. Like wannabe police officers who are security guards or mall ninjas. These people for some reason believe they need to do everything in their power to save the world to get that 15 minutes of fame. These are the ones that will pull a gun on you, and out of fear, shoot you for no apparent reason.

kantstudien
05-18-2006, 3:16 PM
They don't give a WHO????? I think you mean they don't give a HOOT.

If the RO is an owl, both could apply.

dwtt
05-18-2006, 5:47 PM
So I was at an outdoor range a week ago (which reminds me, I need to go there again tonight, do some more pistol practice). This is a public range, run by a county parks department. The ROs are uniformed park rangers (and also super-friendly and competent). The rule there is that you can shoot anything that's california legal, including AWs and 50BMGs.
Was this Metcalf in San Jose? I haven't been there but they allow .50cal on
the last sunday of each month and wanted to go.

gh429
05-18-2006, 6:29 PM
Honestly the majority of California ranges that I've been to don't give a damn as long as you are being safe. Several years ago I saw a few guys that were simply asked to leave when their AR-15's / M16's started discharging 3rd bursts. The RO's just went over, asked if they were law enforcement, and advised them that if they were not they needed to take their rifles immediately to someone to fix the problem. Then he asked them nicely to leave. Of course this was back before SB23...