PDA

View Full Version : HTC Incredible as a WiFi hotspot?

tankerman
09-14-2010, 2:47 PM
Can you use an HTC Incredible as a WiFi hotspot?

If yes, how?

FreedomIsNotFree
09-14-2010, 3:41 PM
It's $20 for 2 gb's per month. This is in addition to the data plan you are already paying for of either $30 or $45. The service can be activated through the device and managed like a wireless router.

tankerman
09-14-2010, 3:41 PM
It's $20 for 2 gb's per month. This is in addition to the data plan you are already paying for of either $30 or $45. The service can be activated through the device and managed like a wireless router.
How long does 2 gb's last?

Mac Attack
09-14-2010, 3:49 PM
Yes but you have to pay. There are free apparently out there that let you tether your phone to a computer and use your normal data plan. I rooted my Droid using a program available in the marketplace called 'easy root' then i installed another app that let me use my phone as hotspots. Took me all of 10 minutes to do. As long as i have my phone i have a hotspots and dont have to pay verizon extra for using it.

If you have questions on rooting you phone send me a pm and i can point you in the right direction.

JDay
09-14-2010, 7:03 PM
If you root it you can just download the free wifi tether app from the market. Root your phone at unrevoked.com.

http://unrevoked.com/

FreedomIsNotFree
09-14-2010, 7:35 PM
If folks are going to suggest someone violate their contract they should at least give a heads up on how to stay under the radar.

JERK
09-14-2010, 7:49 PM
Here you go. Its is confirmed that it works under the radar of Verizon.

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/130092-3g-mobile-hotspot.html

FreedomIsNotFree
09-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Jerk,

I'm referring to the data transfer which may be flagged by using an unauthorized method to connect or using too much data.

JERK
09-15-2010, 5:37 AM
Jerk,

I'm referring to the data transfer which may be flagged by using an unauthorized method to connect or using too much data.

The members of androidforums are saying that Verizon can't tell the difference, if you change those settings. I have tried it and can confirm that it doesn't take you to the usually "sign up and pay us to use hotspot" website.

If you don't mind wired tethering you can always use pdanet, this works really well also.

FreedomIsNotFree
09-15-2010, 1:25 PM
They absolutely can tell if they look hard enough. Typically the additional scrutiny is raised by the end user using too much data which can occur when tethered or via the hot spot capability.

Croweman08
09-15-2010, 2:21 PM
pdanet on the marketplace. 20 bucks and it tethers with unlimited data.

tankerman
09-15-2010, 2:34 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to attempt the 'free' route in the next couple of days, let you know how it works out

JDay
09-15-2010, 3:56 PM
Jerk,

The data plan you get with the phone is unlimited, they're not going to notice. All the tethered plan exists for is so that they can extort you out of another recurring service charge so that you can use a data plan you already have with your other devices. It should be a crime for them to do this.

Fantasma
09-16-2010, 2:50 AM
Good info, Tankerman. This thread is all you need to put your incredible into EFFIN' awesome category...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=760651

Here is the ROM I use...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765447

FreedomIsNotFree
09-16-2010, 9:01 AM
The data plan you get with the phone is unlimited, they're not going to notice. All the tethered plan exists for is so that they can extort you out of another recurring service charge so that you can use a data plan you already have with your other devices. It should be a crime for them to do this.

Yes, data to the device is unlimited, but not if tethered or via hot spot. There is an "average" amount of data that is used for smartphones just as there is an "average" amount of data used for mobile broadband. If someone uses significantly more data than the "average" the account is flagged and reviewed.

If found using an unauthorized method to connect your contract can be canceled with the end user forced to pay the ETF. Now, what is the likelihood of this happening...not much if you stay under the radar.

The end user can check how much data they are using by calling "#DATA" from their handset. You will receive a free text message that indicates how much data you have transferred in the current billing cycle.

Bottom line...don't get ridiculous with it and you will never have a problem.

JDay
09-16-2010, 4:50 PM
Yes, data to the device is unlimited, but not if tethered or via hot spot. There is an "average" amount of data that is used for smartphones just as there is an "average" amount of data used for mobile broadband. If someone uses significantly more data than the "average" the account is flagged and reviewed.

If found using an unauthorized method to connect your contract can be canceled with the end user forced to pay the ETF. Now, what is the likelihood of this happening...not much if you stay under the radar.

The end user can check how much data they are using by calling "#DATA" from their handset. You will receive a free text message that indicates how much data you have transferred in the current billing cycle.

Bottom line...don't get ridiculous with it and you will never have a problem.

They pay no attention to this, people have been doing it since the Droid first came out and nobody has had their account canceled. The most I would expect Verizon to do if they noticed anything is try to force you into buying a tether plan, but they would be hard pressed to prove anything unless you admit to it in the first place. 2.2 Froyo also includes tethering in the firmware. You have to remember that many people stream tons of HD video with these phones, that alone eats up a bunch of bandwidth.

sfwdiy
09-17-2010, 12:12 AM
They pay no attention to this, people have been doing it since the Droid first came out and nobody has had their account canceled. The most I would expect Verizon to do if they noticed anything is try to force you into buying a tether plan, but they would be hard pressed to prove anything unless you admit to it in the first place. 2.2 Froyo also includes tethering in the firmware. You have to remember that many people stream tons of HD video with these phones, that alone eats up a bunch of bandwidth.

+1. You'll never get pinched for this.

I tried using the WiFi hotspot app for a while but I found it to be too unreliable. There are other apps I use regularly that interfere with it. I ended up just buying PDAnet because it's rock-solid reliable and works over USB. That means no battery drain when using it and it works the first time, every time.

--B

sfwdiy
09-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Good info, Tankerman. This thread is all you need to put your incredible into EFFIN' awesome category...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=760651

Here is the ROM I use...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765447

I've been running CyanogenMod 6. I can't stand the frickin' Sense dialer. In fact, I've decided that Sense in general pisses me off.

--B

FreedomIsNotFree
09-17-2010, 12:56 AM

Verizon absolutely pays attention to the amount of data that is transferred across their network. To think otherwise is naive. The nature of my business makes me aware of the situation, but clearly some won't take my word for it.

Verizon Droid Tethering Will Cost You (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181590/verizon_droid_tethering_will_cost_you.html)

And from the Customer Agreement

What Are Verizon Wireless' Rights to Limit or End Service or End this Agreement?

We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (1) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) resell your Service; (c) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (d) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission; (e) steal from or lie to us; or, if you're a Postpay customer, (f) pay late more than once in any 12 months; (g) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (h) provide credit information we can't verify; or (i) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; or (2) if you, any user of your device or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.

I could find more examples for you if you would like. My advice is simple, take it as you will, don't use over 5 GB's of data regularly and you shouldn't have a problem.

JERK
09-17-2010, 5:50 AM
\
I could find more examples for you if you would like. My advice is simple, take it as you will, don't use over 5 GB's of data regularly and you shouldn't have a problem.

I regularly use 5-6 B's a month and nothing has happened. It's not from tethering either, I stream Pandora or Slacker about 6 hours a day during the week. I'm 12 days into the billing cycle and have used about 2.2 GB's already.

JDay
09-19-2010, 6:55 PM
Verizon absolutely pays attention to the amount of data that is transferred across their network. To think otherwise is naive. The nature of my business makes me aware of the situation, but clearly some won't take my word for it.

Verizon Droid Tethering Will Cost You (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/181590/verizon_droid_tethering_will_cost_you.html)

And from the Customer Agreement

(d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications;

That is no longer legal for them to have in the customer agreement.

http://iphonejailbreak.us/4321/jailbreak-the-jailbreaking-exemption-has-its-limits.html

The U.S. Copyright Office on Monday granted an exemption to users who install unapproved applications or switch carriers on their smartphones. That act, when applied to theApple iPhone, is often referred to as “jailbreaking.”

Apple and others have argued that such activities violate provisions of 1998 revisions to federal copyright law known as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, specifically provisions that forbid the circumvention of security technologies a copyright holder uses to ensure that its software is not modified without permission.

The Copyright Office rejected those arguments, finding instead that modification of Apple’s firmware constituted a “fair use” under copyright law. Opponents of strong copyright and the DMCA’s anticircumvention provisions in particular have hailed that decision as a dramatic victory. But the extensive coverage of this decision has largely ignored important limits to the Copyright Office’s decision that are well worth exploring.

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM

I'm not so sure about that. Comcast has unlimited cable internet, but they watch very closely and throttle those who use excess bandwidth. That doesn't even mention the fact that cellular bandwidth is a bit more limited.

Verizon may not notice without further investigation, but I'm sure that if you are noted to be a bandwidth hog, Verizon will be able to discern exactly how your bandwidth was used.

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 11:10 AM
I regularly use 5-6 B's a month and nothing has happened. It's not from tethering either, I stream Pandora or Slacker about 6 hours a day during the week. I'm 12 days into the billing cycle and have used about 2.2 GB's already.

5 GB a month probably won't even get you noticed. I read a statement that the average iPhone user was using about 6GB a month, and that the new Droid users were averaging 11GB a month-probably due to the "new" factor and downloading more apps.

5GB isn't an excessive amount with others sucking down cellular bandwidth that meets/exceeds your's on a regular basis.

JDay
09-29-2010, 6:53 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Comcast has unlimited cable internet, but they watch very closely and throttle those who use excess bandwidth.

The FCC also investigated them over this and put an end to some of their practices, they have also told their customers what is considered excessive now. When something is sold to you as unlimited you should receive unlimited service. Anything else is false advertising and deceptive practice.