PDA

View Full Version : My Registered AW at a Public Range

joel1316
05-18-2006, 7:04 AM
Just ranting :mad:

I've got a registered "AW" black rifle with all the DOJ paperworks. I also have a load of 20 rounders that I aquired legally before the ban. Now, when I go to the range, everyone looks at me like I'm some criminal noob that doesn't know I should be pinning my mags in a with a 10 rounder! Even the RO has got that don't ask, don't tell look on his face. I'm about ready to yell out and flash my paperworks to everyone that gives me that look of "you idiot, your going to be so busted by not pinning that mag in!". I'm ready to put on an SB23 sticker on my A2 Stock...... OK, rant over, just wanted to vent :)

Thanks!

Shane916
05-18-2006, 7:12 AM
lol make a t-shirt with your paperwork image pressed on it ! :) then you can just point and say read! although that might be unusual to have like 10 guys gathered around you trying to read your shirt.. then if you got pulled over you could have the officer read it as well.. ok all bad ideas.. n/m that :D

WokMaster1
05-18-2006, 7:41 AM
Which range did you go to? Maybe you should wear a neon lime green vest with a DOJ Registered AR Owner across the back.:D

phish
05-18-2006, 9:01 AM
most likely San Leandro, there's a lot of rubber-necking depending on what day you go

I think people should just mind their own damn business. There was life before OLL mania. :rolleyes:

VeryCoolCat
05-18-2006, 9:15 AM
Just wear an FBI hat, nobody will ask questions.

50ae
05-18-2006, 9:26 AM
I am so glad I moved out of CA and am back with my Sporter Match H-Bar. I just kick myself every day for selling my AR-15.

magmaster
05-18-2006, 9:32 AM
I never have got that when I go to the range. Maybe its because they recognize me? Most of the time I get people bugging me to look at it and asking questions so I hardly get time to shoot. That sucks I feel your pain...

icormba
05-18-2006, 9:56 AM
I'm with you joel1316,
I get that all the time! So much so that I don't really take my Bushmaster out much anymore :mad: . I had one guy so mad... he was about to pick up his cell phone and call someone? who? I have no idea. I chalk it up to jealousy I guess? Fellow gun owners are sometimes our own worse enemy.

My registration papers are my own business though... I won't show them those, no way! I'll show them to the Range officer if they want, but they never seem to care. I'll show them to a LEO too if they request. But I won't show them to anyone else... it's just not any of their business.

I usually only have these issues at the Metcalf 50-100 yard range, 200 yard range is a-ok! I never have those issues at the Sunnyvale range and only on a rare occasion at the Los Altos range... more curious people there than anything, meaning no one complaining.

artherd
05-18-2006, 10:03 AM
You don't look like a "Gang banger type" to these guys do you? (read: you're under 30, of any particuliar race including 'whitie' and wear jeans & a t-shirt.)

We really are our own worst enemy.

50 Freak
05-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I get the same looks, but I just contribute it to jealousy, whenever I bring my registered AW's to the range.

I do however sometime get a few spectators watching. And if they are young kids or a hottie, I'll definitely invite them over to have a few shot using the AR, AK, FAL Para or 50 bmg (with parental permission of course).

This way, I make sure the kids will get interested in firearms.

If you're in the Bay Area, I usually go to Sunnyvale Rod and Gun club or Metcalf. Both good ranges and they don't care if you have an AW.

joel1316
05-18-2006, 10:30 AM
- I'm 34 years old, old enough to buy guns before the ban.
- I've got the usual range attire going on (nothing flashy, gang bangerish), I've even got on my Super Sniper cap on, LOL.

There were other guys there with there OLL's and they just kept looking over at my rifle with that "oh he's gonna get busted looked".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/AR1.jpg
Eagle Arms Registered SB23....
No biggie, just wanted to vent. I was just sighting it in after mounting the Super Sniper 16X42 and debating on taking it on a Squirrel shoot next week.

bwiese
05-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I do however sometime get a few spectators watching. And if they are young kids or a hottie, I'll definitely invite them over to have a few shot using the AR, AK, FAL Para or 50 bmg (with parental permission of course).

NO NO NO NO!!

It's illegal to 'lend' an AW or 50BMG to a minor - even with parent's permission and his/your close over-the-shoulder supervision. This is a 12280(a) violation, a felony:

12280. (a)(1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.
(2) In addition and consecutive to the punishment imposed under paragraph (1), any person who transfers, lends, sells, or gives any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle to a minor in violation of paragraph (1) shall receive an enhancement of one year.
(k) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to:
(1) A person who lawfully possesses and has registered an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to this chapter who lends that assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle to another if all the following apply:
(A) The person to whom the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(B) The person to whom the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifleis lent remains in the presence of the registered possessor of the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle.
(C) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is possessed at any of the following locations:.......

Over 18? Sure, perfectly legal for them to shoot in your immediate presence.
But don't let Junior shoot it unless you're in NV.

We can get really didactic and argue over the term "lend". Since there's no codified definition that's something you'd have to fight after being busted.

bwiese
05-18-2006, 11:24 AM
When I go to Los Altos, Sunnyvale or even Coyote Pt I usu get far more attention from attendees than rangemasters - prob because I usu have at least 2 ARs and one other rifle (AR10 or FAL) out at once.

50 Freak
05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
I know of that rule Bill, so cool down a second.

If the gun is in my posession and I let a kid use it to take a shot or two while I'm around. I think it would be a hard sell for any DA to say I "lent" him my AW as I never really let it out off my posession.

I spoke about this to an LE friend of mine when we were at the range and I let a kid try my AR. The LE said it was a "gray" area but since I was with the kid at all times, he didn't see it as "lending" my gun to anyone.

I'll take my chances thanks.

icormba
05-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I just posted this in the off-list legal forum; the range I'm referring to is Metcalf:

Given what I saw last week, it is hard to understand that people there (either ROs or guests) would give anyone a hard time about a registered AW. But maybe you just got really unlucky, more than once. Strange.

Trust me... it happens to me at Metcalf all the time! But yes, the range officers are GREAT! They never take a 2nd glance. It's the guests who don't believe my AW's are registered because they don't believe I'm old enough I guess? or maybe it's that my AW's look brandnew?

Let's put it this way... I'm only about 5'4" and I still get carded when I buy beer and I even get carded once in a while when I buy spray paint at OSH!!
I'm 35 years old.

My demeanor at the range... I usually keep to myself, follow all the rules, and take my shooting seriously. When I'm with others... we usually all do the same. It's when I'm with the others I don't get hassled... probably because the complainers think my guns belong to the "others"?? hmmm ;)

phish
05-18-2006, 1:10 PM
I saw the "others" pimping M14s guarding another hatch last night on tv. ;)

It is hard to tell these days: cleaner living causes people to look younger than they really are. I myself, still get carded for beer, as long as that continues, I'll feel good about myself. :p

There's probably a "loss of sync issue" because of this OLL stuff. Sometimes people forget about pre-89 and 2k rifles. It's not like after 2000, AWs disappeared off the face of the earth, contrary to what the politicians want people to believe. :cool:

TMC
05-18-2006, 1:34 PM
Maybe your just sensative or paranoid. Personally I don't pay attention to how people look at me at the range. Its been my experience that most people at public ranges are not very well informed about guns in general or gun laws. If they ask, politely tell them the situation. Otherwise have fun, that's why your there and your not breaking any laws.

VeryCoolCat
05-18-2006, 2:06 PM
Hell, i bet people get looks at the range for having .22 AR/AKS with detachable magazines.

Then they realize its just a cool looking pea shooter.

Bling Bling 2.0
05-18-2006, 2:23 PM
It's not fun until the guy comes that starts screaming "You're going to jail for having that rifle!" Those are my favorite! Honestly, just take the position that they are trying to protect you. If they didn't care, then they wouldn't say anything and they honestly think that your rifle is illegal. If they ask, calmly tell them that these are registered "assault weapons". I wouldn't worry about the dirty looks, they can dirty look all they want and it won't bother me one bit. I'm not the one reloading after every 5 shots and don't have to spend a whole day at the range.

I had a range master tell me that I was going to go to jail for my registered M-11 one time. His boss came over and told him to shut up because the rifle was perfectly legal as long as it was registered. It was humorous.

Metcalf is pretty cool, the range masters know their stuff. Just remember to tell people to keep the drool off of your AW's.

Bling Bling 2.0
05-18-2006, 2:25 PM
I get the same looks, but I just contribute it to jealousy, whenever I bring my registered AW's to the range.

This way, I make sure the kids will get interested in firearms.

If you're in the Bay Area, I usually go to Sunnyvale Rod and Gun club or Metcalf. Both good ranges and they don't care if you have an AW.

Of course the hottie is older than 18 right? And those people you thought were kids are actually midgets.

xenophobe
05-18-2006, 2:50 PM
I usually bring enough reg'd AWs that I never get questioned... probably 3-5 at a time... and my ARs hardly get a look. It's all the other fun stuff that my group brings that people seem to be interested in. A lot of people do like to look and ask questions, but I don't let that stop me from shooting. It's obvious when I've got a loaded mag in my hand, am sitting down at my bench that it's time for them to leave or spectate. lol

JS-M1A
05-18-2006, 6:53 PM
I`ve only been to one range after 2000 with my registered "assault weapons"
More than once.Never been asked by RO or any LEO for my papers.
I`ve been shooting at this particular range for over 20 years.
I do get asked what agency I`m with most of the time.Guess I got
the cop look :) One aw I have not took out to shoot since before
2000 is my mak90.I am paranoid about taking it out here.Never
know some over zealous/jealous barney fife type might give me
some grief over it.
http://static.flickr.com/4/7844821_5473577d4d.jpg

Ratters
05-18-2006, 8:07 PM
I've shot my registered AW at Chabot many many times and never was questioned other than curiosity over my M17. After the 2000 ban I went to the range and probably half the people shooting were using military style rifles.

But it doesn't really matter. F-em, you are legal.

Pthfndr
05-18-2006, 9:29 PM
At the Sac Valley range no ever says anything about EBRs. The range staff certainly doesn't care.

I've been taking my ARs there for years and the only time people ask anything is about what kind of uppers I have.

ligamentum flavum
05-18-2006, 9:48 PM
NO NO NO NO!!

It's illegal to 'lend' an AW or 50BMG to a minor - even with parent's permission and his/your close over-the-shoulder supervision. This is a 12280(a) violation, a felony:

12280. (a)(1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.
(2) In addition and consecutive to the punishment imposed under paragraph (1), any person who transfers, lends, sells, or gives any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle to a minor in violation of paragraph (1) shall receive an enhancement of one year.
(k) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to:
(1) A person who lawfully possesses and has registered an assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle pursuant to this chapter who lends that assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle to another if all the following apply:
(A) The person to whom the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(B) The person to whom the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is lent remains in the presence of the registered possessor of the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle.
(C) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is possessed at any of the following locations:.......

Over 18? Sure, perfectly legal for them to shoot in your immediate presence.
But don't let Junior shoot it unless you're in NV.

We can get really didactic and argue over the term "lend". Since there's no codified definition that's something you'd have to fight after being busted.

So doesn't that mean it's okay to lend the rifle as long as the registered owner is present?

whatever
05-21-2006, 3:32 PM
Maybe your just sensative or paranoid. Personally I don't pay attention to how people look at me at the range. Its been my experience that most people at public ranges are not very well informed about guns in general or gun laws. If they ask, politely tell them the situation. Otherwise have fun, that's why your there and your not breaking any laws.

I agree! This sounds like a perception problem. You are perceiving that these people are thinking something just because of the way they might look at you. Just don't worry about it and have more confidence in yourself.

You know you are legal. Don't let other's ignorance or your own inner demons destroy your enjoyment at the range.

Jason_R
05-21-2006, 3:53 PM
The range I usually go to could give a ***** less what you bring. They don't care if it's not legal either..their mentality is it's your risk, if you get caught then it's your own damn fault. Noone bats an eye at an AR or hi-cap mags.

I've talked to quite a few of the range masters, and they're really cool. Luckily...I have my own property to shoot on...

I CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE OUT OF FU**IN CALI!

sohijiro
05-22-2006, 2:33 PM
i was giving a guy with a ar at chabot looks because of his ar, but it was because i was jealous, and i liked his rifle

bwiese
05-22-2006, 3:42 PM
One aw I have not took out to shoot since before
2000 is my mak90.I am paranoid about taking it out here.Never
know some over zealous/jealous barney fife type might give me
some grief over it.
http://static.flickr.com/4/7844821_5473577d4d.jpg

If it's registered and legal, why would they give you any grief over a MAK90 than a Bushmaster?

A reg'd AW is a reg'd AW is a reg'd AW is a reg'd AW.

There are no legal differences btwn ARs and AKs, or other AWs for that matter, if they're reg'd already.

JS-M1A
05-22-2006, 7:35 PM
If it's registered and legal, why would they give you any grief over a MAK90 than a Bushmaster?

A reg'd AW is a reg'd AW is a reg'd AW is a reg'd AW.

There are no legal differences btwn ARs and AKs, or other AWs for that matter, if they're reg'd already.
Call me paranoid.

ohsmily
05-22-2006, 7:52 PM
Call me paranoid.

Ok, you are paranoid. But more importantly, your paranoia makes no sense; your registered Mak-90 is the same class as your registered ARs, no more or less "evil"...
What a waste for it to be sitting unfired for 6 years. Oh well, to each his own.

50 Freak
05-22-2006, 8:52 PM
I really don't take out my Mak90 either....It's all the way in the back of the safe and I have to remove a bunch of guns to get to it....:D