PDA

View Full Version : Cannot decide on optics!

d4v0s
09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Ok, so follow me on this one, I have an eotech, and have wanted a little more magnification for punching paper, and possibly some hunting with my 20" rra upper.

I am leaning towards a nikon m-223 2X8, no batteries, 4 inch of eye relief at all powers!, BDC reticle.

I have looked at millet dms, acog, aimpoint, magnifiers, standard 3x9 scopes, They all have a huge drawback, in one form or another.

i want the cool factor of the acog, but it truely is for killing humans, COM shots out to 800 meters, not so much for tagging squirrel at 175 yards (or am i completely wrong here?) I want the acog badly, but i have it in my head that its for body mass shots and not for tight groups.

i figure with the eotech, and m-223 i cover all of my bases. all i need is a larue i switcmount so i know its back to zero everytime.

I guess my round about question is, do i really need a CQB optic, and a hunting optic, or is there something out there i havent seen.

I realistically want to shoot 1.5 inch groups consistantly at 100 yards, and still make 8" groups out to 300 yards.

Talk me into the acog, anyone have pics of groups they have shot with the acog 4x?

Black Majik
09-13-2010, 11:53 PM
Instead of fixed power scopes, how about 1-4x scopes? You can have fast sight acquisition at 1x (unfortunately without unlimited eye relief like eotechs and aimpoints), and bump up the magnification for longer distances. There are many 1-4x scopes you can check out that'll fit the 1.5" at 100 yards and hit 8" at 300 yards.

d4v0s
09-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I have looked at them, i played with an accupoint 1-4x but was not in love with the reticle (wasnt really a triangle, more like a blob), make an accupoint with the chevron and i would buy it!

AlliedArmory
09-14-2010, 11:48 PM
It seems for your wants/needs a 1-4x sounds right. Instead of Trijicon, try the Leupold, Millett etc etc. There are many different makers for that type of scope.

Also with changing scopes from rifle to rifle. They do lose zero. Maybe not a lot, but they do. If it stays within 1MOA that is good. but you should always rezero after taking off any scope

killshot44
09-17-2010, 12:49 AM
The Nikon you're looking at is fine. Nikon glass is very bright and clear. I prefer more magnification but the 8X will allow you some distance.
(If you handload, don't bother with a BDC reticle. You'll be using different weight bullets that won't correspond to the reticle. The Nikoplex is a decent reticle)

Gregchico
09-17-2010, 9:32 PM
Don't forget about the Burris XTR 14.

Capita159
09-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Weaver has a nice 1.5-6X24mm scope that will fit perfect for your application. It is a Euro reticle 4 as well as a red dot and it's first focal. Price is right, not made in China, and built like a tank.

problemchild
09-22-2010, 8:46 AM
What about the trijicon 1-4x?

Ammo bros has them in stock so you can handle them.

Cobra Tactical
09-23-2010, 5:50 PM
get an elcan!

http://www.cobratactical.com/ELCAN-SpecterDR-Dual-Role-1X-and-4X-Combat-Sight_p_630.html

Cuda440
09-24-2010, 5:53 PM
I recently got my ACOG TA01, it is extremely clear, you should be able to see a prairie dog clearly to about 400 yards. I bought it a week ago, I will be trying it at 100, 200, and hopefully 300 yards tomorrow, and I will post up results. Here's a reference pic of the reticle, the horizontal lines represent 19" (body width) at their respective range.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/wyotech_cuda440/TA01.jpg

frank.pena
09-25-2010, 5:58 AM
acog is the way to go i have four of them .. I'm actually selling two of them

d4v0s
10-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I wish i could afford the Elcan, a friend of mine in the sandbox says they are pretty nice, and solve the cqb, and long range dilema.

I am leaning towards the acog, probably the 4x, with red chevron. I hope i can find one used and save a little coin! im looking at TA31F and TA31F-G. im told the eye picks up green the best, although red is the typical acog color, so i may go with that for the tacticool factor. ha ha ha at least im honest

bombadillo
10-20-2010, 7:55 AM
Another vote for the Nikon. Great glass, killer price, and everything for what your said needs are.

Droppin Deuces
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
If you're considering the Nikon, then also take a look at the Leupold Mark AR series. I know the Nikons are nice, but I've learned that if there's a Leupold option at any pricepoint, it must be thrown into the loop(Leup)! I've had one for a few weeks now and it is GLORIOUS.

I see you mentioned the Millett DMS-1 as well. This is a good pick as a high quality entry level 1-4 variant. I like mine a lot as it hits consistently out past 350 yards for me on this little steel pig at the local range(no idea how big it is).
The biggest drawbacks of the Millett are its size and weight. It is noticeably heavier on the gun than the Leupold and even the cheap Barska 1-4 I have on my .22 upper.
Eye relief is also not nearly as forgiving as the Leupold. I find that when switching back and forth from the Millett to the Leupold, it takes some getting used to.

Here are pics of the Millett vs. the Leupold:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5112000&postcount=7

I like the Millett a lot, because it does have some advantages, but I LOVE the Leupold.

rero360
10-20-2010, 2:29 PM
Take a look at the USO SN-4, it is a true 1 to 4 power scope, and you have a choice of 4 reticles, and if you call them you can choose the click values for your turrets, and if you want, determine if you want MOA or Mil, you can also pick what color you want the scope. Has illumination too.

All for about the same price as an ACOG. I have an ACOG, 4x 31A RCO M4 and I love it, but I'll be picking up one of the USOs here in the not too distant future.