PDA

View Full Version : Remington 11 Firing Pin Spring

htman3141
09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a Remington 11 12 ga that does not have a firing pin spring. I ordered one from Numerich and it is way to long. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find out the proper lenth? It is a square back firing pin.

Thanks

swifty
09-13-2010, 6:05 PM
The square back firing pin does NOT use a long spring. What serial # range is this shotgun?

aippi
09-13-2010, 6:13 PM
Well, Numerich is the place most would refer you to so I am lost. I will watch this post to see what else is out there for older parts. It would be good to know.

I don't really know much about that model as far as parts. Shot them as a kid but I am a current LE armorer Certified on the 11-87P, and well I am old but not older then the Model 11. Is it possible that a 1100 fireing pin retractor spring would fit? Checking out the schematic on the remington web site would give you and idea. they only cost $3.20 and it may be worth a try. The part number is F93505 and is the same for the 11-87. Or take that spring and cut some off. that springs only purpose is to pull the firing pin back into the bolt where the hammer can hit it. The one you have could very well work cut down. Just cut a few links, try it and if more is needed cut a few more and so on.

Also, please don't take offence as this is a very basic statement but these springs are very long and have to be compacted over the fireing pin when being installed in the breech bolt. Maybe it is not to long. Again, don't know the model but I do know the 1100 and 11-87 have a lot of the same design. Have you tried it?

This is not advise from someone who has ever worked on this model. Just thinking of a way to make it work.

swifty
09-13-2010, 6:24 PM
Again, don't know the model...

This is not advise from someone who has ever worked on this model.

I do and I have. The square back firing pin does not use a long firing pin retractor spring.

I do suggest checking for cracked breech block, cracked locking block, and check to see if the fiber cushion is in the back of reciever.

aippi
09-13-2010, 6:30 PM
Cool beans. gotta love this site when the right info gets to you from guys that know. I am now curios how Numerich sent you a part that did not exsit. I hear they have hard to find parts and wrongly assumed that if you saw a firing pin retractor spring listed and bought it then that was a part that model had. What did you order Swifty?

swifty
09-13-2010, 6:51 PM
Cool beans. gotta love this site when the right info gets to you from guys that know. I am now curios how Numerich sent you a part that did not exsit. I hear they have hard to find parts and wrongly assumed that if you saw a firing pin retractor spring listed and bought it then that was a part that model had. What did you order Swifty?

I have not placed an order. The Rem M11 is a licensed copy of the Browning A5, old, old design. The locking block itself retracts the FP. Remington manufactured a FP conversion that consisted of a square "housing" that used a round FP with a long retractor spring. I guessing the conversion retractor spring was sent.

I just wanted the OP not to get the impression you were advocating installing parts when they didn't belong there in the first place.

aippi
09-13-2010, 6:59 PM
No I ment what part did the OP order. I put your name by mistake.

That is why I stated that I have shot this model but never worked on one. I did not know the answer to his question and wrongly assumed since he order from Numerich he was ordering a part that that model used. So I asked him what he ordered. Good thing you piped in with the correct info.

freonr22
09-13-2010, 7:00 PM
call Jack First co. http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

swifty
09-13-2010, 7:12 PM
No problem aippi.

htman3141, schematics for the Browning A5 are considerably easier to find than Rem M11 ones. The part numbers are different, but the images are there. Don't use the Browning info as gospel, because there have been many many changes to the model over the last 100 years.

htman3141
09-15-2010, 8:57 AM
I got looking into this because I had two slam fires, and when I broke it down to clean it and check it out there was no firing pin spring. Both Numerich and Jack First Inc. gives information for two different firing pin springs. Numerich shows a spring in it's diagram but lists two seperate part numbers and one part number specifically states for use with a round firing pin. Jack First shows and list's two different springs to go with the two different firing pins.

I compressed the spring onto the firing pin and had about 1/2" extra spring, so it is definetely to long. I have no problem cutting the spring, but I don't want to cut it to short, or keeping it to long and having to disassemble it a bunch of times to finally get it right.

Thanks for everyones information. Hopefully I can get this information and get back to shooting.

aippi
09-15-2010, 1:08 PM
I want to learn about this. I would not work on one of these as I only work on the weapons I am certified by Remington to work on. I still love any Shotgun and want to learn as much as I can. So, is there or is there not a firing pin retention spring in this model? I am confused now, but that is my normall state of being so I am used to it.

swifty
09-15-2010, 2:54 PM
The Remington M11, as well as models from FN and Savage were built on the Browning Patent. As such, the parts from the different "brands" could and would interchange. It was, and is, fairly common for a gunsmith to repair a shotgun with parts from a different brand. But during this time the individual manufacturers were making improvements on this basic model. During this "improvement" period, some parts would no longer interchange with the different brands. Owners of older guns need to decide what version and what changes may have been performed.

The FP that is square at the back, and has flat sides, does not use a spring.
The FP that is square at the back, has flat sides and is round at the forward portion uses a short spring.
The FP that has a bushing at the back, and has a round firing pin uses a long spring.
The FP that is round, and does not use a bushing, uses a long spring.

If you are getting slam fires, check for a cracked or broken breech block or locking block. Also check that the safety sear, plunger and spring are functioning correctly.

htman3141
09-15-2010, 3:03 PM
Swifty, the firing pin I have is the second one you listed, square back - flat sides - and rounded towards the end. Do you have any idea where I can find out what the length of that spring should be?

Thanks.

aippi
09-15-2010, 3:04 PM
Htman - you should post a picture of your firing pin so Swifty can tell you the right one to get if it even needs one. Chaseing parts is a pain and this guy can save you some headaches. that is what I would if I was in this bind. However, I am to stupid to figure out how to post pictures and would be his e-mail and send a pic that way as my daughter showed me how to do that.

aippi
09-15-2010, 3:06 PM
Htman - we were posting at the same time. Sounds like you described well enough for him to tell. so ignor my last.

swifty
09-15-2010, 3:37 PM
I've been checking my books and I have no data on the short spring. Lots on the long one.

The spring does not need to be overly strong. If the spring you have has a closed loop, put it at the rear. Make the spring about 1/8"-3/16" longer than the available space. It's easier to shorten the spring several times than to make it longer. Be sure to check for free movement and proper protrusion when finished.

htman3141
09-16-2010, 7:54 AM
Thanks for all the info. Ya'll have been very helpful.