PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of any arrests?

MonsterMan
05-17-2006, 9:57 AM
I keep hearing that people are being arrested for having these off-list lowers (from DOJ and some dealers). I know they are trying to scare us but has anyone actually heard or know of any dealers or citizens actually being arrested for having or selling a fixed mag off-list rifle? You would think we would have heard something if it was happening. I know not everyone comes to Calguns.net.

Just curious.

MonsterMan

thmpr
05-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I keep hearing that people are being arrested for having these off-list lowers (from DOJ and some dealers). I know they are trying to scare us but has anyone actually heard or know of any dealers or citizens actually being arrested for having or selling a fixed mag off-list rifle? You would think we would have heard something if it was happening. I know not everyone comes to Calguns.net.

Just curious.

MonsterMan

Not that I have heard of. There is a rumor that a person in LA had his AR confiscated. Never heard about it again.

tenpercentfirearms
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
You would think with some 30,000+ lowers in the state, surely someone would have been busted for not having a permanent magazine by now. Yet we have heard of zero. Supposedly a guy had his AR taken, lets assume that is true. We have one arrest of 30,000+ cases. There are many people on this web board that have displayed pictures of off list lowers without permanent magazines and worst yet they brag about how they won't change it. They have yet to be arrested.

I am seriously discouraged with how powerless the DOJ is making themselves look. As a FFL I am supposed to value their opinion and rely on their guidance in issues pertaining to firearms and the law. Instead, their handling of this entire off list lower situation has shown me that they are seriously lacking any authority whatsoever. I am disappointed that instead of just accepting the situation and doing what was within their power, they instead chose to fabricate, lie, and coerce law abiding citizens. This is petty and shows a complete lack of any real authority.

I would have respected the DOJ had they just done their jobs. Instead, now I don't know if anything they tell me is the truth, ever. This is not a good thing when they are a regulatory agency in charge of monitoring my compliance with the law.

And if anyone from the DOJ reads this, take it as constructive critism. You guys are making yourselves look horrible. Someone up there convince your bosses that if the next memo doesn't include some sort of concrete, legitimate action, you will lose all credibility with the citizens of this state and your days of being an effective law enforcement agency will be over. Someone up there needs to take charge and do the right thing. It appears the leadership up there is severely lacking, otherwise they wouldn't be relying on the field agents to try and stall people that clearly know what they are doing with lies and/or ignorance. I actually feel for the field agents. They are being left hanging by a string because of the political whims of their bosses. :(

bwiese
05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
There will be arrests. These will be for the idiots that have a detachable mag and pistol grip, or for people that were "too busy" to read the FAQ.

So far, everything seems OK. The San Leandro range arrests were for some gangy types that had guns that "burrrrrppped" a bit at the range.

yiha
05-17-2006, 11:36 AM
that would be... oh whats the words im looking for..
LIES and PROPAGANDA..

FreedomIsNotFree
05-17-2006, 1:38 PM
There will be arrests. These will be for the idiots that have a detachable mag and pistol grip, or for people that were "too busy" to read the FAQ.

So far, everything seems OK. The San Leandro range arrests were for some gangy types that had guns that "burrrrrppped" a bit at the range.

Yep....but from what I heard....it was not just burping.....it was fully auto.....and just a couple lanes over from a LEO.

I'm glad they got busted....I dont want any gang banger types with guns let alone anything fully auto.

Chaingun
05-17-2006, 2:11 PM
Yep....but from what I heard....it was not just burping.....it was fully auto.....and just a couple lanes over from a LEO.

I'm glad they got busted....I dont want any gang banger types with guns let alone anything fully auto.

Wonder what was racing thought their minds showing up at a range with FA.

Jicko
05-17-2006, 2:22 PM

Where's the link to the news to that arrest?

If some gangy types having a full-auto weapon... I'm not sure how would that one LEO will approach and attempt to arrest those gangy types....

markymark
05-17-2006, 2:33 PM
Where's the link to the news to that arrest?

If some gangy types having a full-auto weapon... I'm not sure how would that one LEO will approach and attempt to arrest those gangy types....
Easy. Wait until they need to reload.

ajwells
05-17-2006, 2:36 PM
Easy. Wait until they need to reload.

You stole my words. Give em back...

thmpr
05-17-2006, 3:24 PM
You would think with some 30,000+ lowers in the state, surely someone would have been busted for not having a permanent magazine by now. Yet we have heard of zero. Supposedly a guy had his AR taken, lets assume that is true. We have one arrest of 30,000+ cases. There are many people on this web board that have displayed pictures of off list lowers without permanent magazines and worst yet they brag about how they won't change it. They have yet to be arrested.

I am seriously discouraged with how powerless the DOJ is making themselves look. As a FFL I am supposed to value their opinion and rely on their guidance in issues pertaining to firearms and the law. Instead, their handling of this entire off list lower situation has shown me that they are seriously lacking any authority whatsoever. I am disappointed that instead of just accepting the situation and doing what was within their power, they instead chose to fabricate, lie, and coerce law abiding citizens. This is petty and shows a complete lack of any real authority.

I would have respected the DOJ had they just done their jobs. Instead, now I don't know if anything they tell me is the truth, ever. This is not a good thing when they are a regulatory agency in charge of monitoring my compliance with the law.

And if anyone from the DOJ reads this, take it as constructive critism. You guys are making yourselves look horrible. Someone up there convince your bosses that if the next memo doesn't include some sort of concrete, legitimate action, you will lose all credibility with the citizens of this state and your days of being an effective law enforcement agency will be over. Someone up there needs to take charge and do the right thing. It appears the leadership up there is severely lacking, otherwise they wouldn't be relying on the field agents to try and stall people that clearly know what they are doing with lies and/or ignorance. I actually feel for the field agents. They are being left hanging by a string because of the political whims of their bosses. :(

Wes,
Well stated. Before the OLL craze, I was a bit intimated when dealing with the DOJ. But once I read the FAQs (Thanks Bill!) and understood where I stand on the law and how the DOJ twisted the laws by lies, scare tactics, and mixed messages by their field reps, I than understood that the DOJ is nothing but a big bully who has fully lost it's credibility in my eyes.

adamsreeftank
05-17-2006, 11:47 PM
It's not hard to accidentally leave out the sear or sear spring and and have an uncontrolled run-away full auto burst the first time you assemble an ar. I think that is probably what happened in the incident. I find it VERY unlikely that someone would go to the trouble of aquiring actual full auto parts and knowingly build it, and then take it to a public range.

And when it comes to the DOJ, I think they should close the firearms branch and defer to the ATF. That way, they could spend there time going after polluters and price-gouging oil companies and things like that.

saki302
05-18-2006, 12:16 AM
A few years back, my disconnector spring failed on my AR right at the Angeles range. It was shootign fine, then it doubled. Then shot fine for 3 more shots, then. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

I stopped shooting it that day until I replaced the whole trigger unit (NM trigger). The spring got so weak the disconnector could rock back and forth- just enough to hold the hammer until the bolt slapped home, I bet. Scary!

My uncle's registered M16 doesn't have a rate of fire that high...

-Dave

vonsmith
05-18-2006, 6:53 AM
You stole my words. Give em back...

Even better... Go over and ask them if you can try out their kewl rifle and then use it to arrest them. ;)

Thank the heavens above that so many criminals are just plain dumb.

=vonsmith=

Satex
05-18-2006, 7:06 AM
Wes,
30,000 lowers, but we know from the polls and the memebers here that most purchased several, some many. I would bet to say that of there are maybe 10,000 owners (I think that is high). Of those 10,000 many haven't even built those. In reality, I think there are only several hundred active shooters. Of those, we know that the most likely way to get noticed is on a traffic violation - most gun charges are made as a result of a traffic violation.
So, my point is that we are looking at tens of people that may get pulled over every week, and that doesn't strengthen our case that "no one got arrested"

You would think with some 30,000+ lowers in the state, surely someone would have been busted for not having a permanent magazine by now. Yet we have heard of zero.

tenpercentfirearms
05-18-2006, 9:10 AM
If you think of 30,000 lowers or more that only a hundred people built them up and use them, I guess it is all speculation. I have had over 400 lowers go through my little neck of the woods and the large majority of my purchasers didn't buy them to leave them laying about. They built them up and they are shooting them. Then again I am in Kern County where no one gives a damn.

You would think with this illegal configuration the DOJ would have raided San Jose Gun Exchange by now. They were openly selling complete rifles with the fixed mag kits. You would think law enforcement would be nailing people left and right as they travel around with them. They haven't been. No one cares about off list lowers but those who bought them and a few people that work for Bill Lockyer. The public and law enforcement would rather see rapists and murderers get put in jail.