PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a gun on a motorycle?

atoyf
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Hello,

I'd like to know how to legally transport a handgun on a motorcycle? no bags, no trunk big enough to fit a gun.

Is there law considerations for bike riders?

MotoGuy
05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
I usually put my handguns in locked containers either in my magnetic tank bag or in my backpack.

SouthbySouthwest
05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Hello,

I'd like to know how to legally transport a handgun on a motorcycle? no bags, no trunk big enough to fit a gun.

Is there law considerations for bike riders?

Unload and strap it on your hip in plain sight:D

OK, OK while this is legal, it may just draw more attention to you than you would like!

On the more serious side, you can just put it in a locked case and strap it to your seat, rack ,ect... or even place the locked case in a backpack. The key here is that it must be in a locked case if it is concealed in anyway.

atoyf
05-17-2006, 11:26 AM
can i use the case that the gun came with/in?

zombieflanders
05-17-2006, 12:06 PM
My freinds & I have ridden our motorcycles out to Burro Canyon range several times. It's a really senic, fun & windy ride. I just put my pistolas in a locking case & pop it in my backpack, & away I go! As far as the case your gun came with, as long as you're able to lock it up, I think you should be alright. I don't know the legality of a pistol that's by itself, not in a case, but with a cable lock through the action/grip.

FreedomIsNotFree
05-17-2006, 2:31 PM
My freinds & I have ridden our motorcycles out to Burro Canyon range several times. It's a really senic, fun & windy ride. I just put my pistolas in a locking case & pop it in my backpack, & away I go! As far as the case your gun came with, as long as you're able to lock it up, I think you should be alright. I don't know the legality of a pistol that's by itself, not in a case, but with a cable lock through the action/grip.

It must be a locked container.....a trigger lock will not do for transportation.

Unknownassailant
05-17-2006, 2:33 PM
So are you saying Arnold violated CA firearm transportation laws in T2???

GTKrockeTT
05-17-2006, 2:53 PM
we should ask wes how he did it on his scooter. ;)

Jicko
05-17-2006, 3:17 PM
can i use the case that the gun came with/in?

Lock the case, then you are OK. Locking the firearm is not good enough.

My Glock case have a lock on it, and that's what I use.

Also, wrt transporting on a motorcycle.... I'll put the firearm in a locked container(gun case), and put it in my backpack... and ammo in the backpack is ok too. I do just this on my SV650S.

xLusi0n
05-17-2006, 5:52 PM
I asked this question a long time ago and got no SOLID answer as the law is unclear and doesn't address the motorcyclist.

I was going to ride to Burro Canyon, but realized the roads are so crappy as you get in there that I didn't want to mess up the bike :)

Unknownassailant
05-17-2006, 5:56 PM
I once saw a picture in some chopper magazine of a guy who mounted a Reminton 870 with pistolgrip onto the handlebars of his bike. It looked really cool and had custom mounting brackets on the bars. Not sure about how legal it was but it looked tight.

artherd
05-17-2006, 6:25 PM
Bull****e there's no solid answer. The answer is very solid for handguns: Unloaded and in a Locked Container (hard or soft-shell case, but it should be fully-enclosing of the gun. Could be as simple as a padlock through the zippers of your JaniSport backpack) and you're good to go.

Rifles: anything goes, you can strap it to your back, so long as it is unloaded..

dwtt
05-17-2006, 8:49 PM
Here's how I used to do it while riding between Lake Chabot and San Francisco, across the bay bridge. Pistol, unloaded with a lock on it, in my back pack. Ammo in a tank bag. For a rifle, it's in a locked soft case, unloaded, with the case slung over my shoulder like those now-so-stylish courier bags. Never had any problems with CHP or SFPD.

PLINK
05-17-2006, 9:04 PM
Good thread. Time to take the XD to the range on my SV.

REDHORSE
05-17-2006, 9:19 PM
Unloaded pistol in a locked case.

Locked case, mags, ammo, ears & eyes..then go into backpack or tank bag.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I was actually wondering about this exact topic not long ago, when thinking about getting back on my bike for the gas mileage, and also when I saw the pictures of Wes with his moped...

Friend of a friend is a big black guy who holstered a couple unloaded pistols and got on his bike. Perfectly legal. Apparently, all of a sudden, the other drivers on the road were extremely courteous to him, being very accommodating about letting him in to change lanes, etc. It only lasted a couple minutes until he got pulled over. Apparently they got a bunch of really fearful 911 cell phone calls. The cop knew and acknowledged that it was not unlawful, but asked him to carry them in the space under the seat, which, I believe, actualy IS illegal! Guess the cop was less concerned with minor details of the law and more with people not freaking out.

xenophobe
05-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I used to throw my Colt AR-15A2 on my back, have loaded mags in my range back on the back and mags in my cargo pockets and ride up to Los Altos Rod & Gun when I worked there... So this would happen a couple times a week for nearly a year... This was before Roberti Roos, and cops wouldn't even give me a second look.

I wish it were still like that. :(

artherd
05-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Legally speaking, replace COLT AR-15A2 with "Kel-Tec SU-16" and it's still like that ;D

supdawg
05-18-2006, 9:07 AM
Put a shift knob at the end of the barrel of your rifle and tell the cops it's a jockey shift set up.

GUNS4WORK
05-18-2006, 11:40 AM
IT LOOKS LIKE WE NEED TO HAVE A SO-CAL CALGUNS RIDE AND SHOOT DAY. LET ME KNOW, I'M THERE. YZF600R, HK91. CHRIS :cool:

DougH9
05-18-2006, 12:49 PM
My dualsport is my primary means to go shooting. I strap long guns on the side is a soft case, and have been putting handguns in a solid case in a back pack (a real pain).

I have been wondering if a locked soft case is legal for hand guns...thank you Ben for that info.

Do you think that a locked soft case is legal for a registred AW???

MotoGuy
05-18-2006, 3:35 PM
Legally speaking, replace COLT AR-15A2 with "Kel-Tec SU-16" and it's still like that ;D

Would a folded Kel-Tec Su-16 fit reasonable in a backpack with the barrel sticking out.

I did ride home from the SJGE with at 20" upper, A2 stock, misc parts, and 3 lowers in my backpack. Covered the the barrel with a T-Shirt so I didn't get pulled over.