PDA

View Full Version : recommend a bay area shop to build my lower

JonnyIndy
09-12-2010, 9:15 PM
I'm looking to have a lower built up, and unfortunately I neither have the skills nor the tools to do it(not easy to admit), so I'm looking for a recommendation of a shop in the Bay Area to build one up for me with my selection of parts.

Anyone have a good one for me?

thanks,
Jonny

wash
09-12-2010, 9:33 PM
Do you have the lower?

Do you have the lower parts kit?

If so, come on by the Calguns.net booth at the Cow Palace gun show next weekend, ask for wash and I'll help you put it together.

If you don't have the lower yet, find one and buy it, then once the 10 day wait is over, bring it to the GRPC the weekend after that, find me and I'll help you put it together.

Many other people could help and I know Irvington Arms will assemble a lower for a price, I'll just do it for the practice.

thevic
09-12-2010, 9:35 PM
Buy me a six pack and come to san mateo

joedogboy
09-12-2010, 9:59 PM
I have heard of some shops charging $50 to $100 to install a lower parts kit (and sometimes extra for the stock).

That is outrageous!

Find someone who you are confident can do it (take a look at at least one lower that they've assembled), and work something out - whether it is at a CG event, a build party, in exchange for some beer (or ammo, or lunch, or some other friendly thing), or even a couple of bucks.

tomd1584
09-12-2010, 10:06 PM
do you have a towel, kitchen table, pair of pliers and some electrical tape? If so, you have everything you need to install a LPK.

Seriously, its so easy a caveman can do it. I put my first lower together in about 45 minutes, and I didnt know anything about it before trying.

I watched Brownells instructional videos as i went along and it was Cake.

-Tom

bjl333
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Do it yourself !!! Here's how ....

http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

Its actually pretty fun, be careful with the little parts and springs. They like to fly ... :D

aslowdodge
09-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I am new to guns and I built my first lower a few months ago. It wasn't hard at all. I went really slow and everything is fine. I have assembled 2 more since then. Just do it yourself and you will also gain knowledge of how it works.

Don29palms
09-12-2010, 10:52 PM
You can put it together yourself. It really is simple. My first one took about half an hour and that is because I was going slow and following the instructions carefully. Like he said all you need is a pair of vice grips, electrical tape to wrap the jaws on the vice grips, a razor blade, a small punch, a screwdriver or allen wrench for the grip, a small hammer and a good set of printed instructions.

disfoolritehere
09-12-2010, 11:44 PM
If you put it together yourself, do it in a big plastic bag. it helps when springs start to fly.

Henry47
09-13-2010, 3:24 AM
Buy me a six pack and come to san mateo

where in san mateo are you?

i'm near CSM

rromeo
09-13-2010, 4:42 AM
Norse Armory assembled my first lower. I think they charged $1 when I bought the stripped lower and LPK from them. I assembled my second one myself, with the first as a guide.

nagorb
09-13-2010, 4:59 AM
Don't take it to a shop. If you don't feel like your up to it I'll give you a hand for free, send me a pm.

JonnyIndy
09-13-2010, 7:22 AM
Wow, thanks for all the offers and support guys. I'm still in my 10 day waiting period, but when I get the lower i'll try to give it a go.

THANKS!

SJgunguy24
09-13-2010, 7:39 AM
However you get the parts installed do not pull the trigger without your thumb on the hammer, so you can ease it down. If you do pull the trigger and just let the hammer fall, it can crack the lower and render it useless.

evolixsurf
09-13-2010, 8:19 AM
However you get the parts installed do not pull the trigger without your thumb on the hammer, so you can ease it down. If you do pull the trigger and just let the hammer fall, it can crack the lower and render it useless.

Good tip there. Make sure this does not happen. There should be some youtube videos you can watch to assemble the lower! Thats probably your best bet. Definitely do it yourself!

slappomatt
09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

While I agree with you on your point about the hammer I doubt a crack in that spot would render the lower useless. all it has to do it hold the mag in place.

joedogboy
09-13-2010, 4:02 PM
Norse Armory assembled my first lower. I think they charged $1 when I bought the stripped lower and LPK from them. I assembled my second one myself, with the first as a guide.

That sounds like a good policy - they made their profit on the sale.

berto
09-13-2010, 4:06 PM
You can do it. Watch the videos and read the directions before and during and go slow. The bag trick for the springs is a good idea, I launched a couple at my face.

plan-b
09-13-2010, 4:08 PM
The lower is super easy to assemble. I was kinda intimidated myself when I had to do it. It's a great learning experience and helps get you familiar with the function of the lower. If you really want a shop to help out, check out this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=332543

They're my new favorite FFL in the Bay Area.

gemini1
09-13-2010, 4:40 PM
I see a lot of help's already been offered. Let me get in the list. I'm in Daly City and I can help you on weekends.

vta
09-13-2010, 5:04 PM
it might seem intimidating but once you commit to trying it, you will find out that it is basically LEGOs for adults. get a punch set, rubber mallet needle nose pliers and go to town.

Gryff
09-13-2010, 5:33 PM
I'm looking to have a lower built up, and unfortunately I neither have the skills nor the tools to do it(not easy to admit), so I'm looking for a recommendation of a shop in the Bay Area to build one up for me with my selection of parts.

Anyone have a good one for me?

thanks,
Jonny

Lowers are really easy to do it yourself. All you need are some very basic tools. It's the uppers that are harder to build without one or two special tools.

Crowesnest
09-13-2010, 6:43 PM
I was nervous the first time I built an AR. It's really easy and fun, but you need to take your time and be patient. Be really careful with all those little parts. They can definitely go flying every which way. Also pay attention to the way your detents and springs go in, as they can affect performance. In the end, it's a sense of accomplishment. Once you have everything pieced together, it's nothing more than pure satisfaction. :thumbsup: