PDA

View Full Version : Another AR

Dragunov
09-12-2010, 9:55 PM
Getting ready to buy my second AR. Can't decide if I want another MP15 or try something else. I do know I want a 20" upper with a 1/8 twist and a decent trigger. Wouldn't mind a good quality "retro" build with a better twist rate.

zeus45c
09-13-2010, 9:41 AM
M16A4 Clone. 20" of awesome. You know you want to....

http://www.vseleznev.com/m16a4.jpg

17+1
09-13-2010, 11:34 AM

http://www.vseleznev.com/m16a4.jpg

Very nice!

C_1
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
If you already have a 16" carbine AR, then a 20" with nice trigger, will compliment it well.

I noticed you said "buy." If thats the case, why wont you build/assemble this 2nd one? It'll give you a lil better understanding of the AR, and you can customize it to the way you want/like.

Or if you dont have one already, instead of another AR, maybe an AK? Variety is good..

Dreaded Claymore
09-13-2010, 11:59 AM

I know I sure as hell want to. That looks badass. When I finally build one, it'll be my first rifle.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
There is a 20" FN M16A2 upper on GB for $300 right now, with a 1/7 twist. If A2 is retro enough for you, you might look at that. If not, watch for A1 uppers to come up. It is usually cheaper to buy the whole used upper all at once than to try to piece one together. Ask me how I know this.

Dragunov
09-13-2010, 2:45 PM
Wow! That's a sweet bangstick! What does something like that run w/out the optics or verticle foregrip and rails?

I would like a 20" upper, doesn't HAVE to be "retro", but that would be cool. I'm also looking to mount a Ziess scope on it (I like glass :)). I have considered building my own, What stops me is cost. Yes, I know "roll-your-owns" are generally cheaper, but not by the time I get done with the cotton-pickin' thing! That's why I went with the MP15 with the first one. Cost me around $1200 OTD. Would've cost twice that if I built one. I can't resist the "Match-grade" stuff. :p

Dragunov
09-13-2010, 2:47 PM

http://www.vseleznev.com/m16a4.jpg And yes,YESSSS! Want...... WAnt! :D

wash
09-13-2010, 2:53 PM
You know, AR's are ~modular.

You could buy a 20" upper and pop it on your existing lower.

That saves a few bucks to let you get all the bells and whistles you want.

If you want precision, you'll find it in the barrel. Make sure you know what you're getting.

And if you want to scope it, I would suggest sticking with an A3 style flat top instead of a carry handle upper and probably get a low profile gas block instead of a front sight.

Dragunov
09-13-2010, 8:52 PM
You know, AR's are ~modular.

You could buy a 20" upper and pop it on your existing lower.

That saves a few bucks to let you get all the bells and whistles you want.

If you want precision, you'll find it in the barrel. Make sure you know what you're getting.

And if you want to scope it, I would suggest sticking with an A3 style flat top instead of a carry handle upper and probably get a low profile gas block instead of a front sight.The Idea is that I have two separate rifles. The only bells and whistles I want on the second rifle is a scope. Yes, of course it has to be a flat top. I would like to have a match grade 20" upper as this is to be a longer range 5.56 varmint type rifle.

zeus45c
09-14-2010, 9:06 AM
Wow! That's a sweet bangstick! What does something like that run w/out the optics or verticle foregrip and rails?

The cost really isn't any different from your 14.5" or 16" inch carbines. It's when you decide on upgrading for match grade parts such as barrel or two stage trigger does the price start to climb.

Bravo Company 20" complete flat top upper is 520.00 right now. Slap it on a lower receiver that should run around 250.00 and you are set.

Dragunov
09-14-2010, 12:15 PM
The cost really isn't any different from your 14.5" or 16" inch carbines. It's when you decide on upgrading for match grade parts such as barrel or two stage trigger does the price start to climb.

Bravo Company 20" complete flat top upper is 520.00 right now. Slap it on a lower receiver that should run around 250.00 and you are set.Cool! Thanx! :D