PDA

View Full Version : Barnes TSX 180-gr too much penetration for mule deer?

jccam
09-12-2010, 4:45 PM
Any opinions on the Federal 180-gr Vital Shock .30-06 cartridge for California mule deer? It has the Barnes TSX bullet.

Will this over-penetrate on our Sierra mule deer?

I shot some at the range and it's accurate in my rifle. This will be my first hunt with a 30-06, so I don't have much experience with the various loads. Also, I need to stick with lead-free ammo for this hunt.

Thanks!

SOcal
09-12-2010, 5:12 PM
I shoot handloaded 180gr TTSX bullets out of my .308 win at slightly higher velocities than the factory Federal vital shocks and would not consider it "too much" for cali mule deer. Those bullets are extremely accurate in my rifle as well, I would not hesitate to take a 500 yard shot if conditions permitted. I think you have selected a great cartridge! Good luck!

supermario
09-12-2010, 6:20 PM
Any opinions on the Federal 180-gr Vital Shock .30-06 cartridge for California mule deer? It has the Barnes TSX bullet.

Will this over-penetrate on our Sierra mule deer?

I shot some at the range and it's accurate in my rifle. This will be my first hunt with a 30-06, so I don't have much experience with the various loads. Also, I need to stick with lead-free ammo for this hunt.

Thanks!

You will be fine, if it shoots well out of your rifle, then you will be accurate for good shot placement. Alot of people say, California mule deer are small but my neighbors have taken some 200+ desert mulies. By the way, they shoot 300win mag, so a 180grn 30-06 is perfect.

Fjold
09-12-2010, 7:01 PM
What's over penetration? I want to two holes in every game animal that I shoot.

d_c_mar
09-12-2010, 9:31 PM
Barnes TSX bullets open up very quickly (inches), but keep in mind that even after they do, they keep moving. A 30 cal Barnes bullet of that weight will go front to back on an Elk. That doesn't mean it over-penetrates. If it shoots accurately, and opens up reliably (Barnes pretty much always does), it will do the job. You just have to hit the right place.

That being said, I've had very good results (sub-MOA from a factory triggered Rem 700 SPS hunting weight rifle) with the 165 grain TSX over 58-59 grains of Alliant Reloader 19 loaded to the suggested OAL of 3.220 ish. I've had lousy results with the supposed "Match Quality" 168 grain TSX, as they have 1 less groove and build up more pressure in the bore (far less velocity than the 165 grain).

John Browning
09-12-2010, 9:33 PM
Sounds about perfect to me.

Red Devil
09-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Sounds about perfect to me.

Yep...

And if they give you small groups, ...it'll put those little button-buck black-tails in the freezer just as well.

Beware the man with one rifle, ...or one load. (mine's the .277/150 gr.)

Good Huntin'...

kakinuma-kun
09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I am a proponent of the 30-06 as the best all-around cartridge available up to large, dangerous game, and 180 grain .30 caliber bullet is a great all-around bullet.

Should be a good round for blacktail or Sierra mule deer.

Would not worry too much about excessive damage.

S

jccam
09-13-2010, 7:31 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice!