PDA

View Full Version : WHERE TO OPTIMALLY POSITION YOUR BIPOD ON YOUR RIFLE

RaymondMillbrae
09-12-2010, 3:30 PM
Hey folks,

I have a question for yall.

Me and a buddy have beeen discusing this very topic for a day or two now, and I wanted an "outside" opinion.

I have long guns which I use with Harris bipods. Some of my rifles have a long barrel, and some have shorter barrels

But here's the catch...some of my weapons have TWO sling-mount attachment positions near the forend of the stock - at the end of the action, under the barrel.

So the question is: What is the best place to mount the bipod - furthest forward, or at the rearmost attachment?

For me, it's a balance thing. If I mount the bipods further back (going towards the butt stock), the rifle will be heavier towards the barrel. And since there is more weight forward, there will be a bit less flip and felt recoil. But on the other hand, if the bipod is mounted in the furthest forward position (going towards the barrel opening), you will be better able to stabalize the weapon and "hold it still".

Now add in the factor of short and longer barrels, and hence, the discussion started.

What do you guys think?

Please share your reasoning/thoughts on this matter to support your opinios. I don't want "unthought" responses, as it just shows ineptitude, and wastes the readers time.

Thanks, shooters!

In Christ: Raymond

Pthfndr
09-12-2010, 4:10 PM
If you have 2 studs you mount the bipod to the front most, the sling goes closer to the trigger.

It has nothing to do with balance. The more rearward you mount it the more any movement of the barrel (vertically) is exaggerated.

mlaines
09-12-2010, 4:30 PM
If you have 2 studs you mount the bipod to the front most, the sling goes closer to the trigger.

It has nothing to do with balance. The more rearward you mount it the more any movement of the barrel (vertically) is exaggerated.

this

RaymondMillbrae
09-12-2010, 4:54 PM
Gotcha!

That is exactly what I was thinking.

But my pardner started throwing-out all this "weighted forward" logic, and it was also making sense to me.

Thanks, shooters!!

Dead*Reckoned
09-12-2010, 4:57 PM
On the bottom! :p

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-12-2010, 6:33 PM
on the bottom towards the muzzle as you can get.

bombadillo
09-12-2010, 6:37 PM
I like my bipod as far forward as I can go typically so I can make finer and finer adjustments to my rifle with my rear support hand. I'd bet the match shooters for 1k yard competition would have some good things to say on this subject.

RaymondMillbrae
09-12-2010, 6:44 PM
I like my bipod as far forward as I can go typically so I can make finer and finer adjustments to my rifle with my rear support hand. I'd bet the match shooters for 1k yard competition would have some good things to say on this subject.

Hey brother,

Pthfndr (Rob Thomas) "is" one of the top dawgs at the long range clinic.

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 6:46 PM
the remington 700's have this feature- 2 sling mounts. i use the forward one for a bipod, and the rearward one for the sling. the reason for this (for me) is simple. do it the other way, and try to effectively sling the rifle or deploy the bipod. it doesnt happen, the shizz just gets all tangled up in the other....

pyromensch
09-12-2010, 7:52 PM
one other opinion, is that, the steadiest and most accurate, is the point at the closest to the muzzle, but if you are out hunting coyote, or some other wary creature, further back, allows less of your lateral body movement, for adjustments, that might be detected, by the "wary" creature.

ZX-10R
09-12-2010, 7:56 PM
Toward the end near the muzzle. Putting it in the middle does not make it very stable...It would make it more like a hinge.

RaymondMillbrae
09-13-2010, 2:01 AM
Thanks again, guys.

And FYI, I do not have a sling on my rifle.

Twinsen
09-13-2010, 4:01 AM
You should put a sling on your rifle.

Juice5610
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
You should put a sling on your rifle.

Agreed

ar15barrels
09-13-2010, 1:37 PM
And FYI, I do not have a sling on my rifle.

This is a problem that needs fixing.

bombadillo
09-13-2010, 1:44 PM
http://www.redi-mag.com/

For all your sling needs.

ar15barrels
09-13-2010, 1:56 PM
The Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff is the sling of choice for many precision rifle competitors.

www.tacticalintervention.com/

cqbdude
09-13-2010, 2:06 PM
The Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff is the sling of choice for many precision rifle competitors.

www.tacticalintervention.com/

I have one and I still don't know how to properly use it..:D