PDA

View Full Version : ak,s @big 5 sunday 9 12 10

sea96
09-12-2010, 4:19 PM
just left big 5 in hemet they have a 7.62x39 'casar' ak 47,the mag release looks intact, it has a pistol grip modifier for cal comlpiance, furniture is all plastic, good to see these on the shelf in california,in a main line store,sale price too $499.99, what next ar15's???

thevic
09-12-2010, 4:28 PM
Yeah about 2 months back they started selling them. The manager says that IO is the only distributer willing to send them CA compliant to big 5.

Big 5 still doesnt understand maglocks and pistol grips though soooo....

bigthaiboy
09-12-2010, 7:00 PM
just left big 5 in hemet they have a 7.62x39 'casar' ak 47,the mag release looks intact, it has a pistol grip modifier for cal comlpiance, furniture is all plastic, good to see these on the shelf in california,in a main line store,sale price too $499.99, what next ar15's???

Actually, that is likely to happen sooner than you think, now that Century are introducing a CA-compliant AR-15. Big 5 get practical every milsurp-type rifle from Century Arms, so it wouldn't surprise me to see B5 bringing these in. It's just a shame that it's going to be a break-open style AR rifle, though: http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1619CA-X

CAI are also introducing a CA-compliant WASR and VZ-2008 (VZ-58).

reidnez
09-12-2010, 7:57 PM
Actually, that is likely to happen sooner than you think, now that Century are introducing a CA-compliant AR-15. Big 5 get practical every milsurp-type rifle from Century Arms, so it wouldn't surprise me to see B5 bringing these in. It's just a shame that it's going to be a break-open style AR rifle, though: http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI1619CA-X

CAI are also introducing a CA-compliant WASR and VZ-2008 (VZ-58).

Wow, they're just a little late to the game eh? Who buys break-open AR's nowadays?

ZX-10R
09-12-2010, 8:01 PM
It is good to see.

sea96
09-12-2010, 8:08 PM
does the czech 7.62x39 vz 58 take the same stripper clip as a sks?I think they have a different bolt/bolt carrier design like the 7.62x54r russian dragunov so they can be stripper loaded through the top

bigthaiboy
09-12-2010, 8:15 PM
does the czech 7.62x39 vz 58 take the same stripper clip as a sks?I think they have a different bolt/bolt carrier design like the 7.62x54r russian dragunov so they can be stripper loaded through the top

Yes, the VZ-58 can be loaded just like an SKS with the same stripper clips.

Rob454
09-12-2010, 9:10 PM
, what next ar15's???

There is one in their ad this weekend. granted its a .22 but its a AR

Ksmash01
09-12-2010, 9:25 PM
Yeah about 2 months back they started selling them. The manager says that IO is the only distributer willing to send them CA compliant to big 5.

Big 5 still doesnt understand maglocks and pistol grips though soooo....

Yes we do....The problem is being able to buy enough rifles that are Californicated from the manufacturer. We don't just buy a few rifles at a time to sell, we have to be able to acquire enough to sell in about 400 stores, and at the same time be able to sell them at a good price point.....We won't just start carrying Daniel Defense AR's, but if we did, they'd probably be DSA's or M1S.

IDK about the only distributer remark, but we are a large company. Smaller FFL's can deal with middlemen FFL's without too much hassle. Since we are a larger company, we procure our product either directly from the manufacturer, or a distributor. I don't see too many manufacturers putting bullet buttons on OLL's from the factory, in large enough numbers that Big 5 can procure.

So in short, that comment came from the same place farts and feces do....if we didn't understand maglocks and PG's, we wouldn't even have the CASAR, nor would we have Mini 14's or Rimfire AR/AK/MP5's. We just haven't jumped into that market share.

I will say, though, A LOT of our managers don't know much when it comes to Firearms and the regulations that govern them, but none of those guys make decisions on what we carry. All of those decisions are handled by our corporate office. I'm sure that if we could get BB AR's in the numbers we would need, we would probably sell them, just like we sell the CASAR.

If you need further clarification, let me know....

-hanko
09-13-2010, 7:32 AM
If the AR's are of the same "quality" :rolleyes: as the AK's from IO, I'd pass.

-hanko

Ksmash01
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
If the AR's are of the same "quality" :rolleyes: as the AK's from IO, I'd pass.

-hanko

Like I said, if we did carry AR's......expect DSA or something of the same value.....but like I said, I don't see us getting them at all......

Then again, I didn't expect the CASARs either.......

And I haven't had anyone dis-satisfied with their IO AK's either.

Shady
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
had a close look at a casar this weekend
they are turds
I could build a better ak in my sleep

Mail Clerk
09-22-2010, 7:31 PM
I woiuld take a chance and try one but not at that price!! If they go on sale again towards the X-Mas season then perhaps I can take my CC with me.

Mail Clerk

JRent54
09-22-2010, 7:36 PM
I handled one...they're chessy, cheap looking, and for 500 bucks, not for me

Donny1
09-22-2010, 9:38 PM
Yes we do....The problem is being able to buy enough rifles that are Californicated from the manufacturer. We don't just buy a few rifles at a time to sell, we have to be able to acquire enough to sell in about 400 stores, and at the same time be able to sell them at a good price point.

Good for who? Big 5 sale prices are Turners regular prices. It's rare to find a real deal.

I will say, though, A LOT of our managers don't know much when it comes to Firearms and the regulations that govern them, but none of those guys make decisions on what we carry.

A LOT, are you kidding? I never been at ONE Big 5 where they didn't spew FUD and act like they really don't want to sell you a gun. Just asking a question about ammo is painful.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but every time I decide to give them another chance for a sale they never seem to disappoint.

negolien
09-22-2010, 9:56 PM
Just guns here in Sacramento has a nice selection of Black Guns and a couple of AK type weapons. Not sure what kind of Californication has been perpetrated on em but lol They LOOK good. The more I go in there the more I like it. I saw some very nice collector guns there too.

TNP'R
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
yeah they have the crappy ak at my local big5 too.

cruddymutt
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
You can get a Saiga for less.

ghost
09-23-2010, 7:09 AM
theyre not worth the money imo.the only thing i would buy from big5 would be a ruger 10/22 when theyre on sale.

Mail Clerk
09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
cruddymutt,

Yeah I am looking at the Saiga's too. My issue is the sporter stock! I want to put on a BB and get a more nicer looking stock for it.

Mail Clerk

stix213
09-23-2010, 1:56 PM
cruddymutt,

Yeah I am looking at the Saiga's too. My issue is the sporter stock! I want to put on a BB and get a more nicer looking stock for it.

Mail Clerk

Its somewhat easy to do a pistol grip conversion with a little effort on a Saiga. Top one in my avatar pic is my Saiga 7.62x39 after conversion. There are good instructions on youtube

guitar-nut
09-23-2010, 2:10 PM
had a close look at a casar this weekend
they are turds
I could build a better ak in my sleep
I agree. I took a look at one at Big 5. It looked and felt like garbage. I had toy guns as a kid that had higher quality components.

Masterdebater
09-23-2010, 5:59 PM
big 5 is waaaaay overpriced on their ammo...but their guns seem just fine, the casar is worth a shot it is a little shambly but maybe could be tightened up at home

Shady
09-23-2010, 6:45 PM
big 5 is waaaaay overpriced on their ammo...but their guns seem just fine, the casar is worth a shot it is a little shambly but maybe could be tightened up at home

you can get a saiga for less that is one of the most up to date highest quality aks in the world

and its a REAL russian ak

no amount of "tightening up " will fix a casar

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2010, 6:53 PM
After tax and DROS, you're into it for almost $600! AFAIC, that's way too much because, you will probably need to rebuild it. So, figure that you're getting a $300 parts kit, receiver, US made FCG and US made furniture. Or, about $450 worth of parts at most.

Oh, the "ARs" in the add that are just .22lrs are NOT ARs at all. They look somewhat like an AR but, they are not ARs. You can buy real ARs in .22lr but not from Big5.

hefedehefe
09-23-2010, 6:57 PM
If only they have the ammo in stock

Mail Clerk
09-23-2010, 7:49 PM
Hi guys,

I have plenty of time to look into this possible purchase and am NOT in a rush to plop down good hard earned money until the price is much more manageable. It may be a shabby looking rifle but I want another to bang around instead of my pre-ban Poly Tech for years ago in my closet.I've heard many people that had good luck from their newly bought version AND allot of people that had junk and nothing but trouble. Currently it appears to be about a 50/50% either way. Again the Saiga is a good possible alternative and again both rifles can wait until I see a price that much better.

Mail Clerk

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2010, 7:54 PM
As far as price goes, you can build an AK for

$100 parts kit
$100 US made barrel
$40 flat, center support and rivets
$20-$30 a US made FCG
$20 US made magazine
$1-$40 for a mag lock, grip wrap, MM grip, etc.
and any build party fees which may be apropriate.

cruddymutt
09-24-2010, 10:44 PM
cruddymutt,

Mail Clerk

I have the saiga in .223 and .308. Both converted. Pricewise, the 223 and 7.62x39 are pretty much the same. Heres the breakdown.
Rifle-$400
FCG (dinzag)-$45
PG-$20
Stock-$50

Less than the Big 5 copy and 100% better. I love both of my Saigas. I use the 223 for coyote hunting and target shooting. deadly out to 400 yards easy.
I havent had the 308 that long. The conversion took me a while to find all the parts, I went for a PSL clone. It still isnt 100% done but its awesome out to 600 yards, havent taken it further than that. Its my deer rifle.

Mail Clerk
09-25-2010, 6:59 AM
cruddymutt,

Thanks for the info !!! I'm not in any rush cuz I can get the rifle and like you mentioned ammo is costly these days. besides that any ammo that's afforable like Wolf and etc are not allowed at Angeles anyway. Still the rifle does intriqe me somewhat. I know everyone say this brand is poor but I've had imported 45 pistols that look real cheesey and it actually turned out well. Looks can be deceiving. Too bad I.O. Inc. can't do a "You Tube" video to clear all this up.

MailClerk

Domingo
09-29-2010, 6:38 PM
I have a converted saiga 762 and a IO casar the saiga is a better quality but the casar for the price is my beater gun (straight sights and any AK is made to shot) And full waranty cant beat that for 550 out the door

Mail Clerk
09-29-2010, 7:37 PM
I have a converted saiga 762 and a IO casar the saiga is a better quality but the casar for the price is my beater gun (straight sights and any AK is made to shot) And full waranty cant beat that for 550 out the door

Domingo,

Which Big 5 you go to get one for that out the door price of $550???? That might not be a bad price for me if I can get the same price as you did for one.

Let me know,

Mail Clerk

Shady
09-29-2010, 9:11 PM
Domingo,

Which Big 5 you go to get one for that out the door price of $550???? That might not be a bad price for me if I can get the same price as you did for one.

Let me know,

Mail Clerk

why even post a thread here
if your not going to take anyones advice

destro360
09-29-2010, 9:17 PM
cruddymutt,

Thanks for the info !!! I'm not in any rush cuz I can get the rifle and like you mentioned ammo is costly these days. besides that any ammo that's afforable like Wolf and etc are not allowed at Angeles anyway. Still the rifle does intriqe me somewhat. I know everyone say this brand is poor but I've had imported 45 pistols that look real cheesey and it actually turned out well. Looks can be deceiving. Too bad I.O. Inc. can't do a "You Tube" video to clear all this up.

MailClerk

as far as i know nobody here is talking about "looks" most of them know quite a bit about what actually matters inside and out. not just cosmetics.....

Domingo
09-29-2010, 9:25 PM
I got mine at Big 5 in tracy. you can also try Tracy Rifle and pistol they have one wasa left thats only 50 bucks more not bad