PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Stripped Lowers & Receiver Parts Kit

NeoGeo630
09-12-2010, 1:53 PM
I'm looking to build my first CA legal AR. There seems to be quite a few affordable "budget" stripped lowers available. Which one would be the best to use in everyone's opinion?

Mega Forged Stripped Lower Receiver - $99
JD Machine AR15 Stripped Lower Receiver - $99
Spike's Tactical SL-15 Stripped Lower Receiver with Color Fill - $99
Stag Arms STAG-15 stripped lower receiver - $129

Also, I'm looking to use the RRA lower receiver parts kit with 2 stage trigger. The lowest price I have found it online is $130. Is this kit worth the money? There seems to be quite a few kits with single stage triggers available for under $100.

U5512
09-12-2010, 1:58 PM
Just buy one of the 3 (JD, Mega, or Spikes) for $99 from Rifle Gear. Forged lowers are all the same in quality so just pick the one with the graphic you like most. I have 4 Spike lowers since I like their hard anodize coating and their roll marks are deep and precise in comparison to others. It's a personal preference. Why pay more for Stag unless you like the deer on the lower.

chesterthehero
09-12-2010, 2:06 PM
all are good lowers.. ive never had to file away extra finish on a stag but had to do it on each of my JD and mega lowers (no spikes as of yet)..
ive had great luck with both stag and RRA lower parts kits.. every DPMS kit ive installed has needed some tweeking (ive only used 2 DPMS kits but both needed work)

GunDog
09-12-2010, 2:24 PM
Since you're in the SoCal area, I'd strongly recommend Rifle Gear in Costa Mesa for all of your AR style rifle needs. Great people, great quality products, and great service.

http://www.riflegear.com/

In case you're wondering, I'm not connected in any way with Rifle Gear other than just being a completely satisfied customer

tomd1584
09-12-2010, 3:09 PM
I prefer the JD Machine out of all the ones you mentioned. Made in CA, by Californians.

I dont get the whole colorfill thing.

NeoGeo630
09-12-2010, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys. From the sounds of it, I should be leaning towards any of the $99 ones.

Would I use the same lower to build a 5.56/.223 vs a 7.62/.308? If not, what would be the differences between the two?

I do know about Rifle Gear. In fact, the prices I quoted in my original post are from their website. I met some of their guys at the last Costa Mesa gun show. They were very nice and answered all of my questions. I was even thinking of picking up the Remington 700 Tactical they had at the show. In the end, I decided to build the AR first.

rubber duckie
09-12-2010, 3:22 PM
you really cant go wrong with any of those you have listed. i have spikes, when i bought it i had a shop tell me the fit wont be good, but they were completely wrong. you will hear about people saying they have play between their receivers, i have zero play and everything fits perfect.

i went with rock river LPK, i wouldnt recommend anything else.

rubber duckie
09-12-2010, 3:28 PM
Thanks for the input guys. From the sounds of it, I should be leaning towards any of the $99 ones.

Would I use the same lower to build a 5.56/.223 vs a 7.62/.308? If not, what would be the differences between the two?

I do know about Rifle Gear. In fact, the prices I quoted in my original post are from their website. I met some of their guys at the last Costa Mesa gun show. They were very nice and answered all of my questions. I was even thinking of picking up the Remington 700 Tactical they had at the show. In the end, I decided to build the AR first.

ar 15 lowers work with .22lr, 5.7x28, 9mm, .40 s&w, .45 acp, .223, 7.62x39, 6.8 spc, 6.5 grendel, .50 beuwolf, and .458 socom.

ar10 lowers let you shoot .308 and a couple of other big calibers.

Gatekeeper
09-12-2010, 3:41 PM
Mega Has a very black finish with a Teflon coating, Very Nice. If you go with the Mega lower, get the Mega upper, it will match and fit perfectly. I have three Mega upper/ lower matching sets - They are sweat.

I like Stag LPKs

r3plica
09-12-2010, 3:47 PM
I like my Spike's, but a Mega at $99 is a no brainer, pretty lowers.

wash
09-12-2010, 5:02 PM
I have a Mega that I like.

I also have a Vulcan that's just fine (proof that anyone can make an OK lower).

I've used mostly DPMS LPK's. The hammer, trigger and disconnector are the only critical parts and so far DPMS has been fine. Every other LPK part should work fine as long as they fit. If you're OK with a military type trigger on your military type rifle, there is no need for an upgraded trigger. It's not as nice as a Garand trigger but it's lots better than most AKs.

The best part about DPMS LPKs is that they are cheap, I think Brownells has them for $52.

If you want a bit nicer trigger but not $80 worth, some smiths can tune the stock trigger a lot cheaper (around $35).

wsmc27
09-12-2010, 5:08 PM
I prefer the JD Machine out of all the ones you mentioned. Made in CA, by Californians.

:iagree:

We've assembled two AR's with the locally made (San Diego, CA) JD lowers...no probs and well-made imho.

Good stuff.

OP, have FUN whatever you choose. :)

mlaines
09-12-2010, 5:36 PM

We've assembled two AR's with the locally made (San Diego, CA) JD lowers...no probs and well-made imho.

Good stuff.

OP, have FUN whatever you choose. :)

these

NeoGeo630
09-12-2010, 5:38 PM
All great info guys! Any opinions on the lower parts kits?

daerror12
09-12-2010, 5:50 PM
If you can get the Rock River 2 stage with the lower parts kit for 120 that is a good deal. you will pay 100 just for the triger from most online shops. I use this triger on 2 of my rifles. I prefer them over the single stage triger.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-12-2010, 7:30 PM
Any of the $99 ones will work just fine. The lower is just a parts holder. Pick one that looks pretty to you, and go for it. As for lower parts kits, they all get their parts from a few manufacturers. So the odds are that which ever one you get, it will have most of the same parts as any of the others. I usually go with the cheapest. The only kit that I found that was noticably better than the others were the ones that came from the now-defunct Anvil Arms. The roll pins from those were always a breeze to put in. In terms of function, I have never seen any difference. I have built almost 2 dozen lowers for myself and others the past 2 years. DPMS has never given me any particular problems. I have even used no-name kits, or ones that I pieced together myself during the height of the Obama scare. If the parts are in spec, it won't make a difference.