PDA

View Full Version : (SOLVED) AR Bolt Won't Close 100% (w/pic)

bden
09-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Turns out the hammer is the issue

What might be my problem here? Colt parts with non-Colt lower. Never fired. Sometimes it will close, but often it hangs in this position. Obviously none of the parts are worn. I put some Rem Oil on everything that looked like it needed it. The forward assist doesn't engage and isn't of any help when it is in this position either.

Ed_Hazard
09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Does it do it only when you hit the mag release or also when you pull the bolt latch and let it fly?

Does it do it during a string of fire? Empty mag? Full mag first round?

bden
09-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Does it do it only when you hit the mag release or also when you pull the bolt latch and let it fly? Both, and sometimes it works with either too.

Does it do it during a string of fire? Empty mag? Full mag first round? It's never been fired. I've just been function testing it with 2 snap caps.

orangeglo
09-12-2010, 12:43 AM
What do your feed ramps look like?

Could you get a picture of them?

Is your bolt carrier displaying any signs of irregular binding?

Have you tried another magazine?

Looks kinda dry in there.

dr_communist
09-12-2010, 12:45 AM
i have no idea what your problem is, but i must make a comment. is your bullet button home-made?

bden
09-12-2010, 12:50 AM
What do your feed ramps look like?

Could you get a picture of them?

Is your bolt carrier displaying any signs of irregular binding?

Have you tried another magazine?

Looks kinda dry in there.

Everything looks clean, unworn, and good to go. I've put everything away for tonight, but I'll try and get some more photos tomorrow as well as check with another mag. When the upper is removed everything seems to slide very well, but I'm new to ARs so I could be missing something that may otherwise be obvious to someone else. I'll also try and get a little more oil on it. I didn't want to overdo that.

orangeglo
09-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Everything looks clean, unworn, and good to go. I've put everything away for tonight, but I'll try and get some more photos tomorrow as well as check with another mag. When the upper is removed everything seems to slide very well, but I'm new to ARs so I could be missing something that may otherwise be obvious to someone else. I'll also try and get a little more oil on it. I didn't want to overdo that.

I keep the bolt and front half of the BCG visibly wet. Not dripping, but wet. The back part of the BCG that goes into the buffer tube I keep dry. But even dry, it shouldn't bind when its clean.

bden
i have no idea what your problem is, but i must make a comment. is your bullet button home-made?

Nope, it's a B-16
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=135888

voiceoftheright
So, does the bolt sit properly when it isn't mounted on the lower? What kind of lower do you have and have you used the lower on another AR before? If the bolt does in fact seat all the way in like normal when off the lower than it is most certainly something with your lower. Perhaps the hammer catching up on something? Just throwing out ideas, never seen this type of thing.

ArticleTheFourth
09-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Looks like a sticky gas tube from the photo.
Glad to see as classic A2 upper; not fancy but not much to go wrong with the sights!

bden
09-12-2010, 1:00 AM
So, does the bolt sit properly when it isn't mounted on the lower? What kind of lower do you have and have you used the lower on another AR before? If the bolt does in fact seat all the way in like normal when off the lower than it is most certainly something with your lower. Perhaps the hammer catching up on something? Just throwing out ideas, never seen this type of thing.

I believe the bolt sits properly when it's not on the lower. Can't be 100% certain because this is my first AR, but everything looks as it should to the best of my knowledge.

I have an American Tactical lower, and it is also brand new.

It seems like it is catching on something in the lower such as the hammer or bolt release, but I can't figure it out. Curiosity is getting the best of me so I just tried with another mag, same problem. It works properly more often if I remove the mag. Still not 100% of the time, but probably a 20% improvement up from a failure rate of about 70% I'd guess.

bden
09-12-2010, 1:03 AM
Looks like a sticky gas tube from the photo.
Glad to see as classic A2 upper; not fancy but not much to go wrong with the sights!

Little more oil there then?

Thanks! It is a gift from a very kind family member. He likes the classic style, and I can't argue with it.

voiceoftheright
09-12-2010, 1:05 AM
It sounds like it is definitely the lower. If you take your upper off and the bolt is all the way forward then it must be your lower. Check your bolt catch, do you have it installed properly i.e. the spring and detent are good and it responds well while depressing it? I would check that or the hammer, those are the things that can make things catch inside of that bad boy.

ArticleTheFourth
09-12-2010, 1:10 AM

Thanks! It is a gift from a very kind family member. He likes the classic style, and I can't argue with it.

The oil will help some, but you need to check and make sure the gas tube is smoothly inserting into the bolt carrier key. If the gas tube is bent then, the key will not engage properly. Gas tubes can be off if not installed correctly, or bent if the barrel nut is not tight and turned by the hand guard, especially with a VFG to provide more torque. Take the bold carrier out of the upper receiver and check the gas tube for alignment. If it's bent much, it will not engage into the key.

slomofo
09-12-2010, 1:13 AM

Little less oil perhaps?

ALL of my DPMS .308 rifles have had this problem. I just went out to the range, slammed the bolt closed, and fired one shot. Sometimes that would fix it, sometimes the bolt wouldn't be closed all the way and I'd have to slam the bolt shut a second time, then fire, but in the end, they were all fixed by shooting.

Before you go shooting it though.... take the BCG out and remove the upper receiver. Get the carrier only and slide it into the upper receiver. While pressing it slowly into the receiver, check to make sure it isn't hanging up on anything in there.

BOFH
09-12-2010, 1:32 AM
Looks like a gas tube out of alignment to me. I would pull the bolt and the charging handle out and make sure the carrier can drop over the gas tube with no hangup. If the carrier can drop onto the cas tube under its own weight without hanging I would add parts and see what makes it fail.

The Cable Guy
09-12-2010, 1:44 AM
Separate upper from lower and look at gas key and tube, does it look like theres damage or wear?

IsaacGlass
09-12-2010, 2:20 AM
Who built the lower? What brand upper?

orangeglo
09-12-2010, 2:24 AM
Looks like its stopping too far back to be the gas tube but it is certainly worth checking.

zenmastar
09-12-2010, 6:37 AM
Check the operation of the cam pin, and the cam rails in the upper.

mhho
09-12-2010, 6:38 AM
It could be your Buffer Retainer
#5 in the Lower Receiver Parts diagram of
http://www.longhunt.com/schematics/popup_ar15m16colt.html
hitting the rear cut of your AUTO Bolt Carrier.

Check the Buffer Retainer. Is it crooked, too high, or damaged?

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 6:51 AM
i had this problem if i would ride the bolt into battery on one of my builds. it was my cmmg hammer hanging up on the firing pin. i had to release it completely from the rearward position, and it would close. fwiw. maybe look into this if your bolt carrier isnt shrouded...

(edit for clarity and remembering the exact problem:D)

Mail Clerk
09-12-2010, 7:48 AM
Looks like a gas tube out of alignment to me. I would pull the bolt and the charging handle out and make sure the carrier can drop over the gas tube with no hangup. If the carrier can drop onto the cas tube under its own weight without hanging I would add parts and see what makes it fail.

I totally agree with BOFH...... It's that or perhaps the magazine lips are draging the bottom of the bolt. Check out BOFH's suggestion and them try another magazine.

Mail Clerk

metalliman545
09-12-2010, 7:54 AM
It could be your Buffer Retainer
#5 in the Lower Receiver Parts diagram of
http://www.longhunt.com/schematics/popup_ar15m16colt.html
hitting the rear cut of your AUTO Bolt Carrier.

Check the Buffer Retainer. Is it crooked, too high, or damaged?

i think that could be a good reason, it could be catching the end of the opening in the BC

don_W
09-12-2010, 7:57 AM
which hammer do you have? round of notched.
i had the same problem, with a notch hammer,
changed it to a round one no more problems.

Cool Hand Luke
09-12-2010, 8:26 AM
Maybe she's playing hard to get and wants you to put at least 200 rounds of effort into her before she starts to act nice.

kendog4570
09-12-2010, 8:45 AM
A notched hammer was designed to do this when M16 firing pin is used. Is the underside of your bolt carrier relieved at the head of the firing pin? It helps prevent the hammer from following if the sear and disconnector are not working correctly, or when some M16 fire control parts are used. This goes back to when the AR was first introduced for the civilian market by Colt. This is the first thing I would check.
How about some pictures of the underside of the bolt carrier and hammer?

metalliman545
09-12-2010, 8:49 AM
its more than likly the buffer pin pics will follow

IntoForever
09-12-2010, 9:33 AM
I bought an extra magazine for one of my rifles and had a similar problem. Cheap pos was rubbing the slide. Try it without the mag.

metalliman545
09-12-2010, 9:36 AM
pics were way to big imo for this, just click thoughhh
where the BCG is located roughly.
http://img826.imageshack.us/i/012tg.jpg/

how it looks when inserted
http://img408.imageshack.us/i/019aj.jpg/

showing where buffer pin is in relation to where it "could" engage the BCG. but it wont on mine because it has the cut out.

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/018rm.jpg/

soo even IF your BCG looks like this
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/020szh.jpg/

the buffer pin COULD be sticking out a little more than usual and either be held in place by pressure from the tube, so the widest part from the pin is pressed so hard against the hole it cant pop out but also interferes with the BCG.

btw, i have a colt too, its an M4 though ;D
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1739/021gl.jpg

bden
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
I still can't find anything that could be the matter. I'm sure it's gotta be something simple (I hope), but can't put my finger on it. Thanks for all the ideas, and I'd love to see them continue coming because I'm still at a loss. 2 different types of magazines cause the same issue, loaded with snap caps or not. It did seem to run a little smoother without any mag, but that could even be wishful thinking. Buffer pin looks good (I think). I can't find any suspicious wear marks. I'm baffled.

It doesn't feel 100% right posting pictures of her undersides like this, but here goes anyway...:o

bden
09-12-2010, 11:57 AM
1 more...

Max DVC
09-12-2010, 12:08 PM
I have seen similar results of the BCG sticking like that. It was caused by an out of spec receiver extension/buffer tube, or out of spec threads on the rear of the lower receiver.

When the BCG would get stuck, you could tweak the stock and it would slam closed.

Replacement of the tube solved the problem for one guy, replacing the lower fixed the other one.

Cokebottle
09-12-2010, 12:09 PM
First thing I'd do is remove the gas tube and see if it's still a problem.
As others have suggested, from the position of the bolt when it stops, it looks like it is the gas key hanging on the tube.

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
dude. its the hammer hanging up on the firing pin. you need a new hammer or a new bolt carrier. i can see where the firing pin is hitting the notch on the hammer.

!@#$
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
one thing is for sure. it's not the gas tube...the bolt would need to be much more forward for that to be it.

it sure is not a lube problem either.

many times the BHO can cause this. out of spec or just stacking.

does it bind up without a mag in the well?

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
if OP pulls the hammer out of the rifle, it will work fine. i had this exact same problem, and it gets stuck in the exact same spot. i would recommend a new bolt carrier, because even if you have a rounded hammer, the bolt can still bind if you ride it closed. it just hangs up on the firing pin.

!@#$
09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
dude. its the hammer hanging up on the firing pin. you need a new hammer or a new bolt carrier. i can see where the firing pin is hitting the notch on the hammer.

that could also be the problem.

FWIW all of my preban bushamsters has a notched hammer and an old style semi carrier and never bound up like that.

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
my dpms hung up in this exact same spot, due to the old bolt carrier. it tore the crap out of the firing pin retaining pin. its pretty annoying, but i bet even more so for the OP... at least mine would operate. :(

kendog4570
09-12-2010, 1:27 PM
Both your bolt and hammer are made like old style Colt AR 15 parts. Designed to hang up if hammer follows, and not fire out of battery. You might also have some tolerance stack up if your hammer is not following. Do the firing sequence, disconnect checks on the fire control group. Is the hammer staying back at full cock? Is the hammer being held back by the disconnector when the trigger is pulled to the rear and the hammer cocked? Then let go of the trigger. Does the hammer reset in the trigger/sear notch. Are there any M16 parts in the fire control group? No offense, but if you dont know what these parts and their functions are, then take it to someone qualified to troubleshoot it and not just throw parts at it.

wash
09-12-2010, 3:50 PM
I've heard of buffer tube issues being identified by loosening the castle nut.

If it's not the hammer issue (which I've never witnessed myself), that would be my guess.

I've heard of cheapo no-name buffer tubes causing problems and didn't see you mention what you've got on there.

It looks like it's too far forward to be the bolt hold open and too far back to be the gas tube. Since it can hang up with the magazine out, I doubt that's it.

Good luck finding the problem.

gemini1
09-12-2010, 4:23 PM
Okay, I just tried to simulate OPs problem. We can rule out the gas tube being bent. The distance where the bolt gets stuck is still about 1/4" from the tube.
As Sevensix suspected, it could be the hammer. If you try to separate your upper and lower, pull out the bcg and position it on your lower as how it would be if it was with the upper. Pull the bcg and let it go in the buffer tube, you will notice some tension/tighteness as the underside of the bolt starts to touch the hammer. Position the bolt to where it hangs then slowly release the bolt and watch how it slides forward, pay close attention to the hammer.
Now one thing I've notice on your bolt, why is your firing pin sticking out like that? If you did'nt notice this, then its possible that the hammer had caused the pin to get pulled out as it scrapes the hammers edge.

Process of elimination dictates that you start with the cheapest part. Remove the hammer and try it again. Do it several times and see if the bolt gets hung or not. Then get a new hammer and reassemble, If problem persist then its time to change your bolt.
I still would like to know why your firing pin sticks out like that?

dieselpower
09-12-2010, 4:24 PM
Just an FYI...
Your castle Nut holding your Stock on is backwards. The castle portion goes to the rear. The flat end with the notch goes against the plate.

Another thing just making sure here....are you pulling the Charging Handle all the way back and LETTING IT GO or are you riding the Charging handle forward?

never ride the CH, always pull it back all the way..and LET IT GO. If you feel the BCG grind in the tube, the tube is out of spec and needs to be replaced.

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 4:26 PM
Now one thing I've notice on your bolt, why is your firing pin sticking out like that? If you did'nt notice this, then its possible that the hammer had caused the pin to get pulled out as it scrapes the hammers edge.

OP's bcg does not employ a firing pin shroud, as new style bcg's do. thats why it looks like that. the shroud was developed to avoid this exact problem, iirc...

luckystrike
09-12-2010, 5:01 PM
I would say oil the bolt, let her slam home a few times from being locked back.
just to clarify your not easing/guiding it foward are you?
also try diff mags, and ensure thet its not something on the carrier getting hung up on your bolt release button.

slomofo
09-12-2010, 6:31 PM
Just an FYI...
Your castle Nut holding your Stock on is backwards. The castle portion goes to the rear. The flat end with the notch goes against the plate.

Duuuuuuuude.

I bought a Stag rifle and it had the castle nut on backwards, I then bought an Noveske blem lower assembled by someone else and the castle nut was backwards, then I started building my own and installing castle nuts backwards. I've got five ARs sitting here with backwards castle nuts and I never realized it until now. :banghead:

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 6:37 PM
i just popped like 16 rofl's.

(the bloodninja fans will be laughing right about now...)

orangeglo
09-12-2010, 6:57 PM
Based on the picture I am pretty sure it is that hammer.

See how low the hammer sits on this.

http://bandbarmory.com/bb_images/stock_photos/rra_complete_lower.jpg

Plus there appears to be a little circular wear on that top part of the hammer which it should not have.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8347/031edit.jpg

bden
09-12-2010, 9:14 PM
Just an FYI...

Another thing just making sure here....are you pulling the Charging Handle all the way back and LETTING IT GO or are you riding the Charging handle forward?

never ride the CH, always pull it back all the way..and LET IT GO. If you feel the BCG grind in the tube, the tube is out of spec and needs to be replaced.

Keen eye! The castle nut is on backwards because it was suggested to me that I install it that way by the guy who sold me the lower and the DPMS stock/buffer tube. He said there's no good reason to put it on the "right" way, and putting it on backwards means the sharp edges are no longer out in the open. I know it looks like a newb mistake, but there is a method to my madness on that one!

Admittedly, I've ridden the charging handle a few times because I hate to watch the bolt slam into everything and stop short. It just seems like it makes a hororific crash when it doesn't sit right, but doing it the right way vs. riding the handle doesn't seem to lessen the frequency of the issue.

I've essentially ruled out the gas tube because upon further inspection the bolt is stopping short of getting to that point. It doesn't feel like things are getting caught back all the way in the buffer, so I'm leaning towards a hammer issue. I'm going to take it into the shop tomorrow though to have them take a look at it rather than continuing to puzzle over it.

I really appreciate everyone's help, and will certainly post an update once I get another set of more qualified eyes on this. I'd continue to poke at it, but with so many possibilities and not too many spare parts laying around it's probably best at this point to call it a night and let the man with the know-how have a poke at it.

818gtiguy
09-12-2010, 9:16 PM
Replace the non-shrouded firing pin bolt carrier with a fully shrouded firing pin bolt carrier, or get a rounded(unnotched) hammer and your problem will be fixed.

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 9:24 PM
I'd continue to poke at it, but with so many possibilities and not too many spare parts laying around it's probably best at this point to call it a night and let the man with the know-how have a poke at it.

just pull the hammer out and put it back together. it wont hang up. and then you will have saved the money for the shop. (is it like a mechanic? ive never taken a weapon to a gunsmith before...)

i will paypal you 3 dollars if im wrong. no questions asked.

wash
09-12-2010, 9:41 PM
I agree that removing the hammer is a good way to isolate the problem.

If that doesn't eliminate the sticking issue, look at the buffer tube.

G-forceJunkie
09-12-2010, 9:56 PM
The hammer is hanging up on the bolt carrier or firing pin. That exact position (the two gas ports on the side of the carrier at the rear of the ejection port) is right where the ramp on the bottom of the carrier makes contact with a cocked hammer and pushed it down. I am guessing your hammer is too tall, either the sear notch was machined wrong or the nose of the trigger that engages the hammer is too short. Replace those with some know quality parts and see if that fixes it. It would also be pretty easy to rule out the buffer tube, just pop the rear pin out, tip the upper away and hold the upper straight up and down. Pull the charging handle back and let it drop, gravity alone should close it pretty easy.

bden
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
just pull the hammer out and put it back together. it wont hang up. and then you will have saved the money for the shop. (is it like a mechanic? ive never taken a weapon to a gunsmith before...)

i will paypal you 3 dollars if im wrong. no questions asked.

Alright Mr. Smartypants! You owe me $3, but I also owe you a beer for solving my problem so I guess that makes us even. :D

It absolutely is the hammer. I suppose that was easy enough to check, but I've been busy this weekend, and feared if that wasn't the issue then I'd spend hours chasing down the next likely culprit. Looks like I'll be picking up a new hammer tomorrow, and hope the local shop has one. Thanks all. Range report to follow soon...

kendog4570
09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
An AR 15 firing pin has a smaller flange than the M16 "mil-spec" one. It is the proper pin for your bolt carrier. That may fix your problem. For a hammer, Bushmaster makes good known-dimension and quality parts at a reasonable price. At least they are one of the three companies that has ever had a contract with Uncle Sam. I ordered several lower parts kits recently to compare, and theirs had the best overall quality. There is so much stuff available these days and not all of it is made properly.

bden
09-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Crap, so I do just need a new hammer right?

kendog4570
09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Alright Mr. Smartypants! You owe me $3, but I also owe you a beer for solving my problem so I guess that makes us even. :D

It absolutely is the hammer. I suppose that was easy enough to check, but I've been busy this weekend, and feared if that wasn't the issue then I'd spend hours chasing down the next likely culprit. Looks like I'll be picking up a new hammer tomorrow, and hope the local shop has one. Thanks all. Range report to follow soon...

All you guys that said gas tube or buffer... do pushups! ;)

orangeglo
09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Crap, so I do just need a new hammer right?

Or a bolt carrier with a shrouded firing pin. Which may also require a new firing pin.

To me it looks possible that a new hammer without the step may also catch. Not sure though.

G-forceJunkie
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Get a new hammer and trigger, you don't know which one is out of spec. Crap, so I do just need a new hammer right?

dieselpower
09-12-2010, 11:29 PM
they are not out of spec..its the way they were made. the best way is to get a new carrier. all the other parts will fit in it.

kendog4570
09-13-2010, 6:27 AM
If the hammer is catching on the bolt carrier/firing pin flange, something is out of whack. Thats why those features are there. You need to have the lower looked at. You might get lucky swapping out parts, and get it to work, but it still may not be right.

freonr22
09-13-2010, 6:35 AM
ill take the bcg if you dont want it

bden
09-13-2010, 3:56 PM
It's FIXED!!! The hammer was from an older Colt and required a larger pin. When I Swapped it over to the new lower the smaller pins fit just fine, but left too much play in the hammer. That allowed it to ride a bit to high and thereby catch the bolt. A new hammer appropriate for the non-colt oversized pin worked perfectly! Thanks again for everyone's help. I probably should have thought of this as being the issue sooner, but it wasn't until I noticed how much play was in the hammer that it donned on me. I even got it out shooting today, and it worked great!

wash
09-13-2010, 4:05 PM
Wow, I'm surprised the hammer pin was able to stay in place, but then I don't know how much bigger the colt pin is...

Next time remember that the AR is pretty simple. The problems you see don't have a bunch of different causes, just eliminate them one at a time and quickly you'll figure out what's going on.

kendog4570
09-13-2010, 4:43 PM
[QUOTE=kendog4570;4949261]If the hammer is catching on the bolt carrier/firing pin flange, something is out of whack...[QUOTE]

Large pin fire control parts. .020 or so makes a huge difference.
Glad you found it. It's always in the last place you look!?!? Check your trigger and disconnector too.
How does it shoot?

bden
09-13-2010, 5:19 PM
Large pin fire control parts. .020 or so makes a huge difference.
Glad you found it. It's always in the last place you look!?!? Check your trigger and disconnector too.
How does it shoot?

Shoots great thanks! In the excitement of taking it out the first time I forgot to brush up on how to properly zero the sights. I was able to fake it pretty well, but plan on doing it right next time. The trigger didn't reset properly a couple of times during the first two mags, but it smoothed out and worked well after that. Got 80 rounds total downrange. It did fail to feed about 5 times as well, but I'm not all that worried just yet. I'll give it all another good look and some TLC once I clean it tomorrow night. Shooting it is a whole new kind of fun that I really hope takes it easy on my wallet, but I know that's little more than a silly thought...

Messing around with building/troubleshooting, etc. these really isn't as hard as it seems. It can be intimidating because I'd really hate to screw something up, but for the most part it is much like any other gun. Regardless, the help especially while it's still rather new to me is greatly appreciated. :)

kendog4570
09-13-2010, 5:56 PM
Be sure and check the trigger and disconnector for large pin size. Mil-spec is .156 and Colt is .176. You want the smaller ones.
I see you are near Sac. If you get a chance, be sure and check out the NRA service rifle matches at Sac Valley Shooting Center, and shoot the crap out of that rifle. Do it once and you're hooked!
Enjoy.

Shoots great thanks! In the excitement of taking it out the first time I forgot to brush up on how to properly zero the sights. I was able to fake it pretty well, but plan on doing it right next time. The trigger didn't reset properly a couple of times during the first two mags, but it smoothed out and worked well after that. Got 80 rounds total downrange. It did fail to feed about 5 times as well, but I'm not all that worried just yet. I'll give it all another good look and some TLC once I clean it tomorrow night. Shooting it is a whole new kind of fun that I really hope takes it easy on my wallet, but I know that's little more than a silly thought...

Messing around with building/troubleshooting, etc. these really isn't as hard as it seems. It can be intimidating because I'd really hate to screw something up, but for the most part it is much like any other gun. Regardless, the help especially while it's still rather new to me is greatly appreciated. :)

bden
09-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Be sure and check the trigger and disconnector for large pin size. Mil-spec is .156 and Colt is .176. You want the smaller ones.
I see you are near Sac. If you get a chance, be sure and check out the NRA service rifle matches at Sac Valley Shooting Center, and shoot the crap out of that rifle. Do it once and you're hooked!
Enjoy.

Dang, you're absolutely right about the trigger and disconnector. I thought of that earlier this afternoon too. It seems to work well as is, but I'll double check it tomorrow and likely look into replacing that as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sac Valley matches. I'll definitely look into it, but probably want to get 2-3 more range trips in first. Sounds like a lot of fun, and as long as the wallet can keep up I'd love to try it out.

kendog4570
09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
The notches in the hammer and bolt carrier did what they were supposed to do. Your hammer was following (not staying cocked) from a misaligned sear notch, because of the oversize hole. It was behaving like the sear notch was worn or broken. Getting hung up on the notch kept it from possibly slam firing. The right combination of high primer, fat case, dirty chamber, sensitive primer, and other things could lead to an out-of-battery fire that could have been catastrophic. High pressure gas ain't fun when it's comming back at you.
Glad it worked out.

stitchnicklas
09-13-2010, 11:27 PM
i love happy endings....:smilielol5:

wash
09-14-2010, 8:21 AM
When you say the trigger didn't reset, I think that's the hammer folowing the bolt.

Pay very close attention to the disconnector and do a trigger function test.

I don't remember where I found the instructions but it checks for disconnector and safety function.

You don't want to have a slam-fire/full auto situation.

Be safe.