PDA

View Full Version : ROMY Ak kit questions..

Tre(y)13
09-11-2010, 7:21 PM
so im considering buying a kit and found this..

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/KIT-ROM-1975-NB.aspx

do i only need to find a barrel and a reciever to have a complete rifle?

straykiller
09-11-2010, 7:24 PM
yes i bought the same kit and built it already, it came in good shape also, so you'll need a receiver or reciever flat, and a barrel, also dont forget about your compliance parts

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 7:26 PM
so im considering buying a kit and found this..

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/KIT-ROM-1975-NB.aspx

do i only need to find a barrel and a reciever to have a complete rifle?

you also need rivets, 922r compliance parts if being made into a rifle, a retaining plate would be useful(instead of having to convert the shepards hook)

Tre(y)13
09-11-2010, 7:26 PM
how long did it take you to build? and which parts did you swap out?

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 7:30 PM

easiest for me is the fire control group(3), gas piston(1), muzzle device(1), and receiver(1)

Ernest

if you have the right tools, you can do it in a day or two

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 7:32 PM
also, you posted in the wrong section, it should be in the gunsmithing forum

Tre(y)13
09-11-2010, 7:34 PM
barrel counts too if its made in US correct? what tools does this require??..never done anything like this

straykiller
09-11-2010, 7:36 PM

a couple days becuse i was taking my time and had other things to do, you could build it in one day easy if you know what you doing, as for the us made parts,

receiver =1
barrel=1
Tapco G2 Fcg=3
pistol grip=1

thats should be all you need, you could replace the piston with a new us made one but the pistol grip is easier

Travis8128
09-11-2010, 7:38 PM
barrel counts too if its made in US correct? what tools does this require??..never done anything like this
yes it does.

I did:

Fire control group (3) barrel (1) flat(1) pistol grip (1)

I bought the same kit. This will work.

straykiller
09-11-2010, 7:43 PM

yes it counts, and tools depends on if you are going to start with a 100% receiver or build your own from a flat. you will definitely need a shop press for pressing in the barrel. a way to set the rivets either modified bolt cutters or a rivet jig from akbuilder. head space gauges to head space your barrel and what not. id recomend checking out the gunsmithing section there are a few build threads there you could read up on and get more familiar with what is going to be required to complete a build

Tre(y)13
09-11-2010, 7:50 PM
awesome..i think ill attend a build party :)

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 8:59 PM

if you've never done anything like this, it is highly recommended to start on a complete kit, if not, send the barrel and trunnion to be headspaced and set up by someone who knows how. otherwise, its gonna take a headspace gauge, 4mm and 3mm drill for the barrel assembly, a 7mm drill bit for the barrel pin, gas port drill bit, and know how to put it all together.

welchy
09-11-2010, 9:18 PM
Does anyone have kits with barrels intact anymore?
Aren't there people at build parties that can help headspace a new barrel?

I haven't seen kits with original barrels in a while. So if no one can help properly install a new barrel then no body new can realistically get into building AKs.

BLD
09-11-2010, 9:45 PM

I haven't seen kits with original barrels in a while. So if no one can help properly install a new barrel then no body new can realistically get into building AKs.

I bought my Romy G kit from these guys and it was in excellent shape. If it had been shot it was very little.
http://whatacountry.com/romanian-ak-47-parts-kit.aspx

There's also Apex. The last 5 parts kits on the page all have original barrels. Some of them are milled kits though.
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 9:46 PM

Really? How so?

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 10:13 PM

yes except maybe you haven't looked around, but i said to either send it in to someone who knows how(plenty of people here on the boards) or buy a complete parts kit. heres a tantal i've been looking at.

http://whatacountry.com/polish-tantal-ak-kit.aspx

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:09 PM
yes except maybe you haven't looked around, but i said to either send it in to someone who knows how(plenty of people here on the boards) or buy a complete parts kit. heres a tantal i've been looking at.

http://whatacountry.com/polish-tantal-ak-kit.aspx

#1 It is out of stock.
#2 I can convert a Saiga for less.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I bought my Romy G kit from these guys and it was in excellent shape. If it had been shot it was very little.
http://whatacountry.com/romanian-ak-47-parts-kit.aspx

There's also Apex. The last 5 parts kits on the page all have original barrels. Some of them are milled kits though.
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51

Same as last guy, it is cheaper to convert Saiga, so what is the point?

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:20 PM
SJgunguy24, my post is in reference to mydogsmonkey. He says to start with a complete kit or send the barrel out to be headspaced. Either of these options makes the price way too high when you consider converting a Saiga.

The point I was trying to make was that he was maing it sound like no one would be willing to help you do this yourself at a build party.

The point I was trying to make is that if noobs can't get the help of those that have done this numerous times. Why would anyone new get into building AKs when it would be chaeper and easier to convert Saigas?

SJgunguy24

Same as last guy, it is cheaer to convert Saiga, so what is the point?

Both of these replies tell me you don't have a whole lot of experience building guns.

welchy
Both of these replies tell me you don't have a whole lot of experience building guns.

That is exactly my point.

bigthaiboy
09-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Installing all the components on to a barrel, drilling the gas port hole, headspacing, and drilling the barrel pin hole is definitely the trickiest part of building an AK. It is suggested that you build from an original matching barrel parts kits before attempting to do a new barrel parts kit, just to learn the platform first. Most BPs will tell first-timers to only bring matching barrel kits, because there just isn't the volunteer man-power available to dedicate to one person on such a time consuming job at a busy BP.

Setting up a barrel requires some precision and patience, and some extra home-made "tools" for pressing the the rear SB, gas block and front SB onto the barrel with a 12T shop press.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Maybe I should have said at a reasonable price. Kits with barrels are no longer being imported. ( I know you all know that)

I also should have said willing to help, not able to help.

I realize that part of the appeal of building an AK is the fact that you built it, but the other, and more important reason to others (me included) is that fact that it is the least expensive route to owning an AK.

Somtimes we have to read between the lines. This is the internet after all.:D

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 11:28 PM
SJgunguy24, my post is in reference to mydogsmonkey. He says to start with a complete kit or send the barrel out to be headspaced. Either of these options makes the price way too high when you consider converting a Saiga.

The point I was trying to make was that he was maing it sound like no one would be willing to help you do this yourself at a build party.

The point I was trying to make is that if noobs can't get the help of those that have done this numerous times. Why would anyone new get into building AKs when it would be chaeper and easier to convert Saigas?

Nobody taught me anything about building guns. I learned by reading and doing with my own kits. I asked a few questions but 99% of how I learned was on my own.

If you have the capacity to use the internet, you can learn how to headspace a barrel, you need the tools and to learn how to humble yourself and know when to get help. Guns are not rocket science, they are tools, if you can work with tools you can build a gun.

I always tell people to go with a Saiga conversion first but that is for them to get familiar with the AK platform. That was also when the bending Jigs were 300$ and you had to cut and bend your own rails for flats.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Installing all the components on to a barrel, drilling the gas port hole, headspacing, and drilling the barrel pin hole is definitely the trickiest part of building an AK. It is suggested that you build from an original matching barrel parts kits before attempting to do a new barrel parts kit, just to learn the platform first. Most BPs will tell first-timers to only bring matching barrel kits, because there just isn't the volunteer man-power available to dedicate to one person on such a time consuming job at a busy BP.

Setting up a barrel requires some precision and patience, and some extra home-made "tools" for pressing the the rear SB, gas block and front SB onto the barrel with a 12T shop press.

That is what I was trying to say.

Why would I spend that kind of money to but a complet kit when I can get a Saiga for less?

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 11:30 PM

Why would I spend that kind of money to but a complet kit when I can get a Saiga for less?

Experience.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Nobody taught me anything about building guns. I learned by reading and doing with my own kits. I asked a few questions but 99% of how I learned was on my own.

If you have the capacity to use the internet, you can learn how to headspace a barrel, you need the tools and to learn how to humble yourself and know when to get help. Guns are not rocket science, they are tools, if you can work with tools you can build a gun.

I always tell people to go with a Saiga conversion first but that is for them to get familiar with the AK platform. That was also when the bending Jigs were 300$ and you had to cut and bend your own rails for flats.

I am at the point where I have worked up the guts to convert my Saiga. I am still nervous about adding a bullet guide. Head spacing a barrel is waaaaaaaayyyyy more complex. I am not sure I would ever attempt it without hands on guidance.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Experience.

I would love the experience, but having someone with said experience make sure we didn't F up would be nice.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I, unfortunately, do not have more money than brains.

As Inspector Callahan once said, "a man has got to know his limitations."

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I am at the point where I have worked up the guts to convert my Saiga. I am still nervous about adding a bullet guide. Head spacing a barrel is waaaaaaaayyyyy more complex. I am not sure I would ever attempt it without hands on guidance.

Well you know something dude.
You won't get that rush standing at the door, you gotta jump.
Nut up and do it man. I'll give you my number just in case you get in a bind.

DB2
09-11-2010, 11:39 PM

Head spacing is the easy part. It's mounting all the blocks and sights straight thats the hard part.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Well you know something dude.
You won't get that rush standing at the door, you gotta jump.
Nut up and do it man. I'll give you my number just in case you get in a bind.

I fell in love with the AK platform the day I shot a buddies MAK-90 back before the ban. I have great deal of respect for your knowledge on the subject. I would like to have as many varying types of AKs as possible. Thank you for your generous offer. I might just take you up on it.:D

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Head spacing is the easy part. It's mounting all the blocks and sights straight thats the hard part.

And figuring out where to start when pressing everything on, and what size to drill the gas port for the caliber and gas block style.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:46 PM

That is exactly what makes me nervous (scares me) about building AKs vs converting Saigas. Like SJgunguy24 and my son like to say, I need to "nut up."

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 11:47 PM

have you even actually checked how much money it actually costs? i got a friend who sent his barrel out to a member here and he's gonna have it done for $80. does it really skyrocket the price of biulding an AK? i dont think so

bigthaiboy
09-11-2010, 11:47 PM

And why would you buy a Saiga, when you can build a "Saiga" clone from an AK parts kit for under $225? Here's my half-price "Saiga": ;)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/bigthaiboy/AKSportster.jpg

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I fell in love with the AK platform the day I shot a buddies MAK-90 back before the ban. I have great deal of respect for your knowledge on the subject. I would like to have as many varying types of AKs as possible. Thank you for your generous offer. I might just take you up on it.:D

I don't know s**t, ask my 16 year old son, he seems to know everything.

It helps if you have a mechanical backround as a base skill set and can shove your pride in your pocket and ask for help if you get stuck.

straykiller
09-11-2010, 11:49 PM

huh really i just built my first kit ever on a kit without an original barrel, i installed and head-spaced a brand new barrel and it functioned flawlessly.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:49 PM
have you even actually checked how much money it actually costs? i got a friend who sent his barrel out to a member here and he's gonna have it done for $80. does it really skyrocket the price of biulding an AK? i dont think so

No, I haven't. I am one of those people that thinks it is rude to ask a bunch of questions with little or no intention of buying. Somtimes it bites me in the butt.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:50 PM
And why would you buy a Saiga, when you can build a "Saiga" clone from an AK parts kit for under $225? Here's my half-price "Saiga": ;)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/bigthaiboy/AKSportster.jpg

#1 I envy your knowledge and experience
#2 I still can't figure out why you did that.

Strike #2, it was because you could.

mydogsmonkey
09-11-2010, 11:51 PM
No, I haven't. I am one of those people that thinks it is rude to ask a bunch of questions with little or no intention of buying. Somtimes it bites me in the butt.

well now you know, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to learn on a ready to build ak kit, without having to do all the complicated barrel assembly stuff

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't know s**t, ask my 16 year old son, he seems to know everything.

It helps if you have a mechanical backround as a base skill set and can shove your pride in your pocket and ask for help if you get stuck.

I am sure my 19 yo would say the same about me. I do not have a mechanical background, but can definitely shove my pride when neccesary.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
huh really i just built my first kit ever on a kit without an original barrel, i installed and head-spaced a brand new barrel and it functioned flawlessly.

Apparently your balls are bigger than mine, or you don't have to explain to your wife how you threw several hundred dollars down the drain.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Have I said that I love this thread? This is why I love Calguns.

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I am sure my 19 yo would say the same about me. I do not have a mechanical background, but can definitely shove my pride when neccesary.

Good. Oh, the most important tool you'll need for building AK's............The AK fine adjustment tool, the 5 lb finish hammer.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/lalakersfan34/sledgehammer.jpg

When your done beating the hell out of something with the 5lb finish hammer, it's pretty much finished.

welchy
09-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Okay, that just made me actually laugh out loud.

That is the main reason I am in love with the AK.

Every time I think about getting an AR lower I think do I really want to be "that guy." The answer is always NO.

straykiller
09-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Apparently your balls are bigger than mine, or you don't have to explain to your wife how you threw several hundred dollars down the drain.

lol not down the drain its an investment for many home built aks to come, if you are ever in my area hit me up ill let u use my tools to build ur rifle, sound good, ill help you out as much as i can if you need it, as long as ur a cal gunner ur one of my brothers.

welchy
09-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Careful, I know where Kerman is.

straykiller
09-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Careful, I know where Kerman is.

lol as long as i have the day free man its cool i plan on building a new kit here soon, just kick down some beers or cigars lol, i have no problem helping fellow calgunners out i love this site and its members.i plan on hosting a small build party after i finish my second build...

welchy
09-12-2010, 12:10 AM
I guess I need to grow a pair. I read your post about build tools. I was very impressed. Kerman isn't that far from Modesto.

bigthaiboy
09-12-2010, 12:16 AM
#1 I envy your knowledge and experience
#2 I still can't figure out why you did that.

Strike #2, it was because you could.

Thank you. You're right because with all the Saiga conversions going on, people are literally discarding their removed Saiga parts, so why not build a featureless rifle that can accept hi-cap AK magazines?

I posted this build just to show you that building an AK doesn't have to be expensive. If you can pay a gunsmith to set up and headspace your barrel for $80, that's half the battle. Do the rest at a build party and you will come away with a ton of pride, especially when people asked you where you got your AK rifle from, and you tell them that you built it. The fun part is watching the surprised / confused expression on their faces as they do a double-take, because they didn't know you were allowed to build your own AKs. You can tell them how you did it, and before you know it, they will be asking you how they can build their own AKs, too.

Once you've built one, I guarantee, you'll want to build another.

AndrewMendez
09-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Welchy, get to one of the Ak Build Parties ASAP. SJGunGuy, Nico and Z Mefly are just a couple of the hard core guys who can help with thru what ever piece of crap Ak Kit you come across. I highly suggest that you get an Original Barrel and matching numbers kit. But if not, someone can help you with the head spacing! If your going to go with the centerfire kit, go with an Arms of America, Romanian style barrel, with a Romy G Kit!

welchy
09-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Once you've built one, I guarantee, you'll want to build another.

That is what I am afraid of.

bigthaiboy
09-12-2010, 12:25 AM

If you're going to develop an addiction, at least it's not with crack. :D

welchy
09-12-2010, 12:26 AM

I do love the crack.

welchy
09-12-2010, 12:26 AM

sorry, wrong crack.:D

straykiller
09-12-2010, 12:33 AM

dont be afraid embrace it because it is inevitable, and ur right it isnt that far away, trust me once you build any type of gun you cant stop. my first build was a 1919a4, right after i finished that i was searching online for a new kit i could build that was more difficult so i build a sten after that here i am building ak's its a disease lol, but a good one. im sure u know what its like to buy a new rifle and fire it for the first time, well multiply that feeling by at least a 100 and that the felling you get when you fire a rifle that you built yourself.

SJgunguy24
09-12-2010, 7:17 AM
One more thing, your not wasting anything until you have built at least 1 AK per family member. Even then you can still justify the builds, you gotta have spares.

welchy
09-12-2010, 9:22 AM
I'll try to convince my wife of that.:rolleyes: