PDA

View Full Version : transfer fee $125 buck?

caldivers
09-11-2010, 6:15 PM
I found a great deal on Spike's Lowers on Brownells.com for $89.bucks and went to Second Amendment Sports in Bakersfield to see what they would charge me for a transfer. The youg'in at the counter was quick to say" oh your looking at $125. not including DROS or tax just for the transfer. :eek: Is this the going rate for transfers dealer to dealer? If someone knows of an FFL in Bakersfield that is cheaper let me know please. I even considered looking at the lowers that they had there to escape this outragous fee but did not see anything that they had in stock that would be to my liking.

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2010, 6:17 PM
Every shop is different.

Shady
09-11-2010, 6:18 PM
ive seen them from $35 to $300

Mssr. Eleganté
09-11-2010, 6:35 PM
...If someone knows of an FFL in Bakersfield that is cheaper let me know please. I even considered looking at the lowers that they had there to escape this outragous fee but did not see anything that they had in stock that would be to my liking.

Have you tried Get-A-Gun in Bakersfield?

CHS
09-11-2010, 6:39 PM
It's almost never worth it, even with cheap transfer fees, to transfer in lower receivers unless it's some kind of very unique lower that you just HAVE to have.

When it comes to lowers, just buy a quality brand locally.

markslyon
09-11-2010, 6:42 PM
Isn't the transfer fee state mandated and not supposed to exceed a certain amount. That price is rape and I wouldn't do any business with that store. I have a guy locally that charges only $35

zfields
09-11-2010, 6:43 PM
check out the kitchen table FFLs, they are usually MUCH cheaper.

I know the one I delt with was, plus he would match almost any online price after transfers and such. Im sticking local for now on just so The dealer, and his family can use the money much more then some big online retailer.

Cyc Wid It
09-11-2010, 6:44 PM
Isn't the transfer fee state mandated and not supposed to exceed a certain amount. That price is rape and I wouldn't do any business with that store. I have a guy locally that charges only $35

No, that is for PPT. For a transfer, it can be whatever the dealer feels like. Basically by pricing transfers very high, they are trying to coerce you into buying from them instead.

rrr70
09-11-2010, 6:45 PM
Isn't the transfer fee state mandated and not supposed to exceed a certain amount.

Only for PPTs.

Fjold
09-11-2010, 6:45 PM

$50 includes DROS

Cool Hand Luke
09-11-2010, 6:53 PM
Damn you got me all excited about the price on the Spike's lower but I just found out my c&r discount only brings down the price down on the complete lowers, not the stripped. :(

Milsurps
09-11-2010, 6:54 PM
And I thought $75-90 was high here. :eek:

markslyon
09-11-2010, 6:59 PM
For a PPT at TDS Guns in Rocklin they chage $75....so that's no legit?

caldivers
09-11-2010, 6:59 PM
$50 includes DROS

I didnt know about Get a Gun. worth a looking at Thank you

RugerNo1
09-11-2010, 7:03 PM
I've heard good things about Get a Gun, but have never tried them. I do know however that $50 is the cheapest I have heard of around here.

09-11-2010, 7:03 PM
RAPED...

nazgulnarsil
09-11-2010, 7:05 PM
gun prices are so ridiculous here that buying online with a $120 transfer + dros fee was $145 cheaper than buying the same gun from the store. that makes their total markup over $200.

ke6guj
09-11-2010, 7:05 PM
For a PPT at TDS Guns in Rocklin they chage $75....so that's no legit?

for a PPT, charging $75 would be illegal. But it is only a PPT when both the seller and buyer are CA-residents who both go to the buyer's FFL in person to do the transfer. IF the seller is not a CA-resident, or the seller ships the firearm to the FFL, it is not a PPT, and the dealer may charge whatever he wishes to do the transfer.

SLYoteBoy
09-11-2010, 7:39 PM
every ffl near paso robles/atascadero that I know of , charges $75 to receive a OLL for you. Used to be $35 a few years ago , before OLL craze.

markslyon
09-11-2010, 7:53 PM
for a PPT, charging $75 would be illegal. But it is only a PPT when both the seller and buyer are CA-residents who both go to the buyer's FFL in person to do the transfer. IF the seller is not a CA-resident, or the seller ships the firearm to the FFL, it is not a PPT, and the dealer may charge whatever he wishes to do the transfer.

K, then they are officially raping people for PPT in violation of the code.

jamesob
09-11-2010, 8:00 PM
go see wes at 10% in taft. he has spikes in stock and im sure he can give you a fair deal.

Oceanbob
09-11-2010, 8:05 PM
assume the position.

stitchnicklas
09-11-2010, 8:52 PM
go back to the shop with the young'in and hand the shrub a banana,tell him transfer this hahaha...

MGM Tactical
09-11-2010, 9:25 PM
PM sent. We are Bako based and only charge $50 including DROS. Be glad to help you out if needed. Thanks

tenpercentfirearms
09-11-2010, 9:28 PM
go see wes at 10% in taft. he has spikes in stock and im sure he can give you a fair deal.

Calguns special, I will cut your transfer fee in half to match Rafael at Get a Gun (if you don't want to drive to Taft, Get a Gun is good to go!) and more importantly, I have a ton of everything in stock to turn that stripped lower into a complete rifle. e-mail me if you are interested. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

Also, I do have Brownell's on file so they will ship to me no hassle.

QQQ
09-11-2010, 9:29 PM
Holy moly! When I was in DC there was only one guy who did FFL transfers and he charged $125... I can't see how shops in CA get away with it, given that they actually have competition.

metalliman545
09-11-2010, 9:55 PM
Holy moly! When I was in DC there was only one guy who did FFL transfers and he charged $125... I can't see how shops in CA get away with it, given that they actually have competition.

morons keep going in thinking its a good deal because the guy behind the counter told them or that its a "standard" fee.

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 9:55 PM
It's almost never worth it, even with cheap transfer fees, to transfer in lower receivers unless it's some kind of very unique lower that you just HAVE to have.

I have to agree with this.

Calguns special, I will cut your transfer fee in half to match Rafael at Get a Gun (if you don't want to drive to Taft, Get a Gun is good to go!) and more importantly, I have a ton of everything in stock to turn that stripped lower into a complete rifle. e-mail me if you are interested. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

Also, I do have Brownell's on file so they will ship to me no hassle.

Well there you go. Also Wes is one of the good guys.......as long as he stays OFF the scooter.

If you don't want to pay the high transfer prices, try to find what you need locally. Having a shop in California is not cheap and we gotta support them as best we can.

TKM
09-11-2010, 9:59 PM
It's just a way of saying "Thank You, please don't come again."

I've found that it works.

Then you tell a couple of hundred friends and they tell a couple of hundred friends and every time somebody googles that store you get to tell them again. It's cool the way that the internet works.

Second Amendment Sports in Bakersfield, noted.

jdparker8563
09-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Try Ole Boy Outdoors in Bakersfield.Allen Rd. and Rosedale

olhunter
09-11-2010, 10:07 PM

+1 for GetaGun. Nice guy. I'm glad he's not closer or I'd be buying another safe.

Anyone is Santa Clarita or nearby with a $50 total transfer? Maybe I don't really want to know....lol.

b00gym4n
09-11-2010, 11:18 PM
$125 is a rip off. I'd pay and always do pay in the $50 range OUT THE DOOR. I know in other states they charge about $20.

straykiller
09-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I found a great deal on Spike's Lowers on Brownells.com for $89.bucks and went to Second Amendment Sports in Bakersfield to see what they would charge me for a transfer. The youg'in at the counter was quick to say" oh your looking at $125. not including DROS or tax just for the transfer. :eek: Is this the going rate for transfers dealer to dealer? If someone knows of an FFL in Bakersfield that is cheaper let me know please. I even considered looking at the lowers that they had there to escape this outragous fee but did not see anything that they had in stock that would be to my liking.

rapppeeeee!!!!! thats the most ive ever seen

dr_communist
09-12-2010, 12:48 AM

+1 the transfer fee at karls hardware here were i live is extremely high $175. so instead of having them order a spikes i bought one of their c3 defense lowers

PhantomII
09-12-2010, 3:07 AM
+1 the transfer fee at karls hardware here were i live is extremely high $175. so instead of having them order a spikes i bought one of their c3 defense lowers

But at least Karls is honest about it. I asked them why their fee was so high and they told me it's because they didn't want to be bothered with doing online transfers so they set a high fee to discourage it.

guitar-nut
09-12-2010, 3:58 AM
I'm also in Bakersfield and both second amendment and Valley Gun will charge me about $125 to have my AK shipped from atlantic firearms. Is anyone else here on file with Atlantic?

X-NewYawker
09-12-2010, 8:15 AM
How dare those BASTARDS in the gun stores want to make MONEY off us! I say we stop buying from stores and only buy on the internet and drive those local guns stores out... of... uh...

Hey. Wait a minute. Who will do my transfers if I run the stores out of business? I mean, I know they have to pay rent and state fees and taxes and employees salaries --
but I need my OLL so why can't they do a transfer as cheap as my buddy who has an FFL for him and his friends?

The truth is, unless your local gun store owner is a dick (re: Greta's guns) or the item you want is extremely rare, it makes sense to buy at the most reasonably priced local gun store.
The mark up on guns is not as great as it is on TVs and other things you spend big bucks on. I have also found that going to the store and saying,
"I found this in teh SHOTGUN news but can you come close to this plrice I'd rather buy it from you." yeilds results.
Turners now wants over $100 to transfer a gun
Why?
They rather you buy one in the store. If you don't, then they are going to try to make money off it.,
Also, the stores are being pushed by the bankrupt CA state to collect a "use tax" (10%) on guns you transfer, so it's only going to get worse.

All around cheaper to buy directly from a store if they can get what you want.

rromeo
09-12-2010, 8:48 AM
The cheapest around here is $20 + $2 for the background check.

caldivers
09-12-2010, 8:52 AM
How dare those BASTARDS in the gun stores want to make MONEY off us! I say we stop buying from stores and only buy on the internet and drive those local guns stores out... of... uh...

Hey. Wait a minute. Who will do my transfers if I run the stores out of business? I mean, I know they have to pay rent and state fees and taxes and employees salaries --
but I need my OLL so why can't they do a transfer as cheap as my buddy who has an FFL for him and his friends?

The truth is, unless your local gun store owner is a dick (re: Greta's guns) or the item you want is extremely rare, it makes sense to buy at the most reasonably priced local gun store.
The mark up on guns is not as great as it is on TVs and other things you spend big bucks on. I have also found that going to the store and saying,
"I found this in teh SHOTGUN news but can you come close to this plrice I'd rather buy it from you." yeilds results.
Why?
They rather you buy one in the store. If you don't, then they are going to try to make money off it.,
Also, the stores are being pushed by the bankrupt CA state to collect a "use tax" (10%) on guns you transfer, so it's only going to get worse.

Yes , i agree somewhat, but at least have something I want to buy at the store, Second Amendment had only two lowers to chose from and both in my mind where crap. but anyway, thats another subject. Thank you all for all your input. A lot of people stood up and gave me the info I needed. I have gotten items from Wess at Ten Percent before and I love dealing with him and his Family. I never had to deal with a dealer to dealer transfer before and this was an eye opener for me. So, with that in mind i have a few choices now.. once again Thank you.

650IS350
09-12-2010, 9:33 AM
LOL mine was 70 for everything. $125 WTF? you should come back there and ask the kid if he wants your arms and legs while he's at it...

themailman
09-12-2010, 9:48 AM
Geez, back in Colorado its usually $20-35 out the door. Ive been wanting to order a spikes lower but Im in Oceanside and Im guessing no one will be cheap enough to do the ffl through to make it worth it. Guess Ill be buying a lower on vacation in CO.

themailman
09-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Just called Faith Armory in Temecula, looks like they are charging 70 out the door for ffl transfers. I'll be going there...

dr_communist
09-12-2010, 3:21 PM
Originally Posted by dr_communist
But at least Karls is honest about it. I asked them why their fee was so high and they told me it's because they didn't want to be bothered with doing online transfers so they set a high fee to discourage it.

That's true. Karls is my fav gun store around here. They do have great customer service.

spaghettithrower
09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
A little off topic, but you may want to talk to Brownells, last I checked they would not ship any recievers to California unless they have changed their policy in the last 9 months or so, they did not want to bother with the CFLC program.

tenpercentfirearms
09-13-2010, 5:45 AM
A little off topic, but you may want to talk to Brownells, last I checked they would not ship any recievers to California unless they have changed their policy in the last 9 months or so, they did not want to bother with the CFLC program.

That didn't stop them from shipping my a Calvary Arms complete lower along with a CFLC number about a year ago.

Bogart
09-13-2010, 6:56 AM
Also, here is a lower priced lower you might want to consider transfering in:
http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91_1_134_168&products_id=391

Bogart
09-13-2010, 6:57 AM
Or this lower:
http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91_1_134_135&products_id=312

13204u
09-13-2010, 7:16 AM
To be fair it has been that way there for about the last eight years that I knew of. Typically people didn't do alot of dealer to dealer transfers in the past. If you don't like it just find someone else. :cool2:

JockItch
09-13-2010, 7:24 AM
I don't like it but I have had to pay the fees myself. I did one at a shop in nor cal and it was explained like this to me. A small shop likes to have a stock on hand in order to serve the customers. They cant get the great prices on what they stock because the cant buy in in bulk. But the little guns shop when they run the Dros. In order to do the paper work. Has to have there sales person stop selling gun and helping there other paying customers and do the paper work for free. Now that paper work is done that shop now has to be responsible for the the gun or receiver for the next 10 days. Should there be a problem with the paper work that shop has to deal with the DOJ not the shop that sold the gun. Thats not even including what that shop had to do when the gun was shipped in. Logging it in and sending all there FFL info info order to get the gun shipped in. All that work for free. Because you bought a Glock 17 online for $35 bucks cheaper then they had it in stock for. Do I think what some shops charge is out of line? YES! Should all these shops do all this work for free because your such a nice guy. How about you not be such a cheap bastrad and support you local Gun shop. Not the big Walmart sellers. Im sure your all going to come back and say that you wanted a special lower or the Glock with the special colleen holster package. Did you try to that shop and see if the could special order it for you? Did Ya?? Or were you up late one night. Sleep deprived after your 20 hour call to duty marathon. Feeling all pumped up and smacking around some 12 year old on line and impulse bought that Glock and are now upset for having to pay get your gun registered. Now that I have flexed my keyboard mussels all is good.

themailman
09-13-2010, 4:02 PM
I don't like it but I have had to pay the fees myself. I did one at a shop in nor cal and it was explained like this to me. A small shop likes to have a stock on hand in order to serve the customers. They cant get the great prices on what they stock because the cant buy in in bulk. But the little guns shop when they run the Dros. In order to do the paper work. Has to have there sales person stop selling gun and helping there other paying customers and do the paper work for free. Now that paper work is done that shop now has to be responsible for the the gun or receiver for the next 10 days. Should there be a problem with the paper work that shop has to deal with the DOJ not the shop that sold the gun. Thats not even including what that shop had to do when the gun was shipped in. Logging it in and sending all there FFL info info order to get the gun shipped in. All that work for free. Because you bought a Glock 17 online for $35 bucks cheaper then they had it in stock for. Do I think what some shops charge is out of line? YES! Should all these shops do all this work for free because your such a nice guy. How about you not be such a cheap bastrad and support you local Gun shop. Not the big Walmart sellers. Im sure your all going to come back and say that you wanted a special lower or the Glock with the special colleen holster package. Did you try to that shop and see if the could special order it for you? Did Ya?? Or were you up late one night. Sleep deprived after your 20 hour call to duty marathon. Feeling all pumped up and smacking around some 12 year old on line and impulse bought that Glock and are now upset for having to pay get your gun registered. Now that I have flexed my keyboard mussels all is good.

Huh?

tenpercentfirearms
09-13-2010, 4:19 PM

Woah, use some fast actin Tinactin and cool down.

We know we should support our local dealers. We also know that sometimes the online sources blow things out. In all honesty, I would make the same amount on a $25 transfer as I would selling you a Kaiser for $150. I bought a bunch of lowers at the peak. If I charged you the whole $50, then I would make more on your transfer than I would a single lower (the only bad thing is I charge $50 to transfer as many lowers as you want).

So use whoever. If I transfer in a cheap lower for you, odds are I will sell you the LPK, the buttstock, the upper, and all the goodies because I install all of that for no extra charge.

I don't try and low ball my inventory with the online competition. I am not an online vendor. I am a brick and mortar shop with superior customer service and a great on hand selection for you to touch, hold, grope, lick, and smell. Just be sure to wipe it down before you start since you don't know who else has been licking the merchandise.

AlliedArmory
09-13-2010, 4:22 PM
Buy the lower Local. Support your local shops.

RugerNo1
09-13-2010, 4:50 PM
Just be sure to wipe it down before you start since you don't know who else has been licking the merchandise.

:rofl:

I'm going to be sure to bring a handy wipe next time I visit now...:p

Crowesnest
09-13-2010, 6:48 PM

:iagree:

crankstar
09-13-2010, 8:43 PM
i went to 2nd amendment sports aswell they wanted 550 plus fees for a saiga 7.62x39 and when i asked if they had 5.45 they looked at me like i was insane

MGM Tactical
09-14-2010, 5:49 AM
Crankstar, give us a ring, we will take good care of you!!

salazar44
09-14-2010, 6:51 AM
PM sent. We are Bako based and only charge $50 including DROS. Be glad to help you out if needed. Thanks

use this guy. he is not trying to rape you, thats for sure. that is the cheapest around you. out here in l.a. i use straightline tactical in anaheim. the price is the same. most shops have a different price depending on their opinion of you.

norcal.xd
09-14-2010, 9:57 AM
a shop i went to in san jose last year it was $75 straight...

cgseanp1
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Why?

Charging a ton for a transfer is pointless because, if the person is halfway smart, they are just going to walk out and find a different place that charges less. In this case, more than 2x less. Now, how does that benefit the first place? They are now making ZERO dollars, as opposed to the $25 or so (maybe even a little more) that they could be making off the online transfer. Maybe they are a big shop and don't need the money so they just charge a lot to scare people off, which is ok. But if they do need money, and they have rent and employees to pay, then it doesn't make sense to do this because, like I said above, they are now making zip.