PDA

View Full Version : HK USP Series....?

ap3572001
09-11-2010, 4:27 PM
How come I always hear talk about 1911's, XD's, Glock's, Sig's.M&P and MUCH , MUCH less about HK USP series ? Just wondering?

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 4:29 PM
they are great pistols, folks often dont like to shell out the cash for them, however. ill have my second one in a couple weeks. its just gotta get out of pawn, then i wait my ten days. :thumbsup:

SIGman Freud
09-11-2010, 4:29 PM
They're expensive. They're German. They're reliable, durable, etc. They're excellent battle tools. Uh, but yeah......they're expensive. :rolleyes:

FNH5-7
09-11-2010, 4:32 PM
HK makes me hate the roster even more.

CA Gun Laws Suck
09-11-2010, 4:37 PM
Lot of people hate on HK for the price, but I love all the ones I have.

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 4:44 PM
this comes from thehighroad-

An open letter to the gun community from HK’s marketing department: In a world of compromises, some people put the bullets in the magazine backwards…But it doesn’t matter, because our gun is on the cover of the Rainbow Six video games. Look how cool that SEAL coming out of the water looks… If you buy a $2,000 SOCOM, you will be that cool of an operator too. And chicks will dig you.

At HK, we stuck a piston on an AR15, just like a bunch of other companies have done, dating back to about 1969. However ours is better, because we refuse to sell it to civilians. Because you suck, and we hate you.

Our XM8 is the greatest rifle ever developed. It may melt, and it doesn’t fit any accessories known to man, but that is your fault. If you were a real operator, you would love it. Once again, look at Rainbow Six, that G36 sure is cool isn’t it? Yeah, you know you want one.And by the way, check out our new HK45. We decided that humans don’t need to release the magazine with their thumbs. If you were a really manly teutonic operator, you would be able to reach the controls. Plus we’ve fired 100,000,000 rounds through one with zero malfunctions, and that was while it was buried in a lake of molten lava, on the moon. If you don’t believe us, it is because you aren’t a real operator.

By the way, our cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns like the G3 and MP5 are the bestest things ever, and totally worth asinine scalpers prices, but note that cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns from other countries are commie garbage. Not that it matters, because you’re civilians, so we won’t sell them to you anyway. Because you suck, and we hate you, but we know you’ll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you’ll come back, you always do.

Buy our stuff.

Sincerely

HK Marketing Department
HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

i still love hk, no matter how much they hate me. :D

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 5:13 PM
My first handgun was a USP. 40 back in 1998 for $550 BNIB, it had a crappy trigger DA/SA, was bulky, heavy, a high bore axis (compared to a Glock). I'm sure the P30 and HK45 are an improvement but the USP is a mediocre handgun with a high price tag IMO.

glockwise2000
09-11-2010, 5:31 PM
Title says "HK UPS Series..."?

Well, they wouldn't really make a thread for that because it does not exist. You probably need to change the title to USP.

MrEd
09-11-2010, 5:47 PM
I love my HK's , I have the USP and the P2000 Compact , I would not want a HK UPS just because it must a a B to carry that big brown truck around :D

Greg-Dawg
09-11-2010, 5:53 PM
Calgunners are poor.

J-cat
09-11-2010, 5:57 PM
Title says "HK UPS Series..."?

Well, they wouldn't really make a thread for that because it does not exist. You probably need to change the title to USP.

No, no, no.

Obviously you haven't heard about the arming of UPS drivers.

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 6:00 PM
Calgunners are poor.

We can only afford Hi-Points :(

Cyc Wid It
09-11-2010, 6:41 PM
USP was my first gun.

nazgulnarsil
09-11-2010, 6:41 PM
i'd take two glocks over an HK and I don't like glocks.

plan-b
09-11-2010, 7:08 PM
I own four of these mediocre guns. :rolleyes:

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 7:10 PM
ok, thanks for the detailed input lol

nn3453
09-11-2010, 7:15 PM
High price, crappy trigger, crappy ergonomics compared to other modern pistols. Customer service is so so. Hard to get parts. At least that is the experience I have had. YMMV.

J-cat
09-11-2010, 7:20 PM
You don't need to get parts when you have a USP. The ergonomics are fine when compared to a Glock. Nobody's making you shoot that thing double action. You can carry it cocked and locked with a far better trigger pull than any other plastic gun on the market.

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 7:24 PM
yeah, its next to impossible to find a part for an hk.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-USP-9mm-40-S-W-Parts-c199.htm?pageStyle=h&ProdSort=19&page=1&idCategory=199

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 7:26 PM
You don't need to get parts when you have a USP. The ergonomics are fine when compared to a Glock. Nobody's making you shoot that thing double action. You can carry it cocked and locked with a far better trigger pull than any other plastic gun on the market.

You're the only person I've ever seen state this ever in my life :chris:

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 7:26 PM
High price, crappy trigger, crappy ergonomics compared to other modern pistols. Customer service is so so. Hard to get parts. At least that is the experience I have had. YMMV.

You sound like a Glunk fanboi :rolleyes:

J-cat
09-11-2010, 7:32 PM
You're the only person I've ever seen state this ever in my life :chris:

What plastic gun has a better pull than the s/a pull of a USP?

genesis121
09-11-2010, 7:32 PM
a HK USP is my first and only handgun. Yes it is expensive but good guns last and life time, then you pass it on to your kids.

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 7:34 PM
i do love the s/a pull on my usp.

but i havent shot every polymer pistol ever made, so i can neither confirm nor deny that statement. but it is pretty nice. the da pull is definitely heavy, but thats why god put twelve in the mag. you only feel it once, and the reset is super short. ;)

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 7:50 PM
What plastic gun has a better pull than the s/a pull of a USP?

I forgot you were only referring to the SA trigger being decent as I rarely shoot DA/SA guns anymore metal or plastic, but I would not feel comfortable carrying it cocked and locked as the safety is not optimal for me like a nice 1911 one. I just prefer smooth DAO type triggers with nice short resets.

Dhena81
09-11-2010, 8:15 PM
this comes from thehighroad-

i still love hk, no matter how much they hate me. :D

LMAO

Dhena81
09-11-2010, 8:24 PM
With a USP you can tell where your extra money went when comparing to a Glock or other plastic guns from the magazines actually dropping to the fire controls. When you get used to the magazine release its hard to go back I personally like Variant 3 since I like the simplicity of no safety and carry in double action.

MikeR
09-11-2010, 9:25 PM
I never liked the trigger on a USP. It might be time to give them another chance. Even if HK hates me and im not worthy. :D

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 9:27 PM
the single action on my usp compact is only very slightly heavier than my kimber pro carry ii... i mean i almost cant tell the difference.

nn3453
09-11-2010, 9:29 PM

Proud of it too. Was a 1911 guy for many years. Saw the light when I shot a Glock 34 in a competition. Haven't seen the need for another platform since.

I do like Sigs as well. HKs are fine. I'd buy em if they were in the $500-600 price range. What you are getting does not justify the price tag, IMHO.

Black Majik
09-11-2010, 9:30 PM

Whatever G34shooter! :D

hoss_hk
09-11-2010, 9:39 PM
Lot of people hate on HK for the price, but I love all the ones I have.

People do get hung up on HK price tags. Don't see much of the same hate for a $900+ Sig or a $1000+ 1911 (mid range for SA, Kimber etc).

You don't need to get parts when you have a USP..

Might be a bit of a stretch.... but after 7000+ rounds through my USP I have only needed a new recoil spring (sent free of charge from HK USA, albeit after two phone calls) and mag springs (Wolff took care of that easily). Nothing but reliable.

Dragon
09-11-2010, 9:45 PM

+10000000000000000

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Proud of it too. Was a 1911 guy for many years. Saw the light when I shot a Glock 34 in a competition. Haven't seen the need for another platform since.

I do like Sigs as well. HKs are fine. I'd buy em if they were in the $500-600 price range. What you are getting does not justify the price tag, IMHO.

That was pure sarcasm :D

Whatever G34shooter! :D

Busted! haha :TFH:

The Fugitive
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
HK makes me hate the roster even more.

And for HK collectors 1k times more!

freonr22
09-11-2010, 10:56 PM
no bashing, just never understood the plastic handgun thing :shrugs:

gorenut
09-11-2010, 11:34 PM

Well, I see USPs selling for $650 new from certain vendors now. I think with the P2000 and P30 being available, its really driving USP prices down.

I took my USP 40 to the range for the first time today... I shot it much better than my Sig which is the platform I'm used to. One thing I dislike about USPs are the mags.. they feel cheap for some reason.. but hey if they work, they work. The other thing I dislike is now its taking me a second to re-think the controls whenever I switch back to a Sig. It's similar enough with decocker, etc... but with everything in different positions - it gets more confusing. Maybe if I just get an LEM trigger job and ditch both the decocker and safety.. I won't have to worry about them at all. Other than that.. I'm liking my USP much better than any Sig I've owned.

As to the OP.. as answered by many others.. price is a big detouring factor. People think just because a gun is polymer framed, it needs to be priced under $500 or something. People have no problems paying high prices for metal Sigs and 1911s. I think the other thing thats diminishing talks of USPs is the fact that the P2000 and P30s are out and about. Unlike Sigs.. when H&K comes out with a new version, its pretty much same internals with improved ergos (for most) and options vs Sigs where they'll have a bunch of variants that don't necessarily just add improvements (the E2 P-series is an exception, but not on our roster). This is clearly the case when you see Sigs, they are pretty consistently priced despite there being newer models where H&K, the USPs have gone down in price because of the newer models. Just my observations.

ArticleTheFourth
09-12-2010, 12:02 AM
I forgot you were only referring to the SA trigger being decent as I rarely shoot DA/SA guns anymore metal or plastic, but I would not feel comfortable carrying it cocked and locked as the safety is not optimal for me like a nice 1911 one. I just prefer smooth DAO type triggers with nice short resets.

I'm just curious; what DAO type triggers have sort resets? :confused:

smt77
09-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I have an HK USP in .45 and I love it!

ArticleTheFourth
09-12-2010, 1:02 AM
Here's what I have, a USP 45 Elite! Not a 1911 but a good trigger and accurate!

http://www.hkpro.com/uspeliteleft.jpg

I'm thinking about adding a LEM trigger unit to the current match trigger. Any advice?

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
09-12-2010, 1:05 AM
I have a USP because when you get a good deal on a next to new used model, it's a great investment and holds in value, if not appreciates.

norcal77
09-12-2010, 1:34 AM
How come I always hear talk about 1911's, XD's, Glock's, Sig's.M&P and MUCH , MUCH less about HK USP series ? Just wondering?

Why?..because the people who bought the said pistols don't want to admit they wasted there money. The HK USP pistols will eat any ammo fed to them and are built very well compared to the rest of the competition.

IMO..it really is the best built pistol out there.

BlooDSMeaR
09-12-2010, 2:16 AM
USP is the one I want weather they hate me or not

Shenaniguns
09-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm just curious; what DAO type triggers have sort resets? :confused:

Glock and M&P with the Apex DCAEK

Verci0013
09-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm curious, is it possible to convert a USP .45 to a 9? what is needed for such a conversion? Just a slide (with internals) and magazine? (Forgive me if this is thread jack, but i figured it would be fitting in this thread)

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
the general consensus is, you need to buy another pistol.

Verci0013
09-12-2010, 12:48 PM
the general consensus is, you need to buy another pistol.

Ah ok, I always thought the frames were all the same oh well

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 12:50 PM
i think they pretty much are, but hk wont sell slides separate. you have to basically find and buy slide, barrel, recoil spring, magazines... at that point, you are spending more than you would for a used pistol.

Shenaniguns
09-12-2010, 12:59 PM
The 9mm/.40/.357 frame is smaller than the .45 frame, same as Glock, S&W M&P etc...

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 1:01 PM
thanks for clarifying. i was thinking in terms of .40-9mm, i had looked into that a while back.

the only one that is plausible, is .40-.357sig i believe. but i only read that on the internets...

drunktank
09-12-2010, 1:30 PM
A USP 9mm fullsize was my first and very favorite pistol. The only gun I've ever shot that didn't jam (technically had 1 FTF but the ammo was improperly reloaded and the brass was completely deformed/bulged).

If you search any thread on this, the biggest gripe is that they are "expensive". If you objectively compare the USP to and pistol in it's class, you'd see that they are top tier weapons.

If you prefer glocks and the like, you're in a better boat because you could practically buy 2 of them for the price of one new USP, however.

Shenaniguns
09-12-2010, 1:55 PM
I didn't mention the stovepipes and doublefeeds I experienced on mine 2000 rounds in since I never figured out if it was an ammo related problem (Fiocci) or the extractor since I traded it for a BNIB G23 after so I can't 100% blame the gun as it may have been an ammo related problem.

If the USP was a better handgun for me than everything I've owned after than I'd own one but if they were even $100 less than a Glock or M&P I still wouldn't buy one over the other two. Cost is not a huge factor to me YMMV

dfens
09-12-2010, 2:05 PM
I have a USP fullsize 9mm and it's my current go to gun. People love to ***** about the price when they don't even have one. I wonder why Sig gets a pass when they are even more expensive I guess all metal guns get a pass.

Oh and I got mine new for the price of a new Glock out the door so I can't complain their.

But yeah the quality can't be beat, when I field striped it for the first time I could see I got my monies worth and then some. Only gripe but since I don't hang stuff from it not a issue for me but others is the old style rail.

Oh and to clarify the 45 acp and 9mm are not interchangable. The slides and frames are different dimensions. If you wanted to go from 40 S&W to 9mm and vise versa you only need to swap the barrel and mags that's it. All the other parts are the exact same for both calibers other than the markings and serial number coding system.

Robidouxs
09-12-2010, 2:26 PM
A conversion from 40S&W to 9mm is really that simple (just barrel and magazine)? Please tell me I am wrong...

Anyone here that has done the conversion, please let me know. I am very interested to know your experiences.

Shenaniguns
09-12-2010, 2:31 PM
HK's are expensive for plastic but are cheap compared to a nice 1911.

nosuchagency
09-12-2010, 2:37 PM
price is probably a significant part of it... from my perspective, you're paying for the inherent quality expected from one of today's premiere manufacturers of firearms. they're not any better than a glock in the most important aspects, but they're delivering it in a more refined system. having the option of cocked & locked with a surprisingly crisp single action (considering the platform) is an added bonus. ymmv...

resident-shooter
09-12-2010, 2:48 PM
We all love HK but we all hate their prices :)

KillZone45
09-12-2010, 3:02 PM
Is it possible to go from a 9mm in a USPc to a 40?

PCC
09-12-2010, 5:41 PM
Yes, an entirely new top end and magazines are what you need. The frame is the same, as far as I can tell.

den888
09-12-2010, 6:15 PM
Great guns, but pricey, as everyone says...

Fobjoe
09-12-2010, 6:35 PM
I got my USP 9mm used from a crackhead...true story. He was arrested 9 days later for attempted murder so I'd like to think I "saved it" and maybe someone else from destruction. $400 bucks so value/price wasn't an issue for me. I disliked the blocky grip, high bore axis, and sloppy trigger. I like the way it looked and the ambi mag release. I sold it shortly afterwards.

vNaK
09-12-2010, 6:48 PM
A conversion from 40S&W to 9mm is really that simple (just barrel and magazine)? Please tell me I am wrong...

Anyone here that has done the conversion, please let me know. I am very interested to know your experiences.

It is not that simple. It will work for awhile but you will have a lot of problems. To do a conversion properly you will need a whole upper 9mm slide and mag. The only barrel conversion you can do is 40 S&W to .375 SIG barrel (mag is same) and vice versa.

sevensix2x51
09-12-2010, 6:53 PM
I got my USP 9mm used from a crackhead...true story. He was arrested 9 days later for attempted murder so I'd like to think I "saved it" and maybe someone else from destruction. $400 bucks so value/price wasn't an issue for me. I disliked the blocky grip, high bore axis, and sloppy trigger. I like the way it looked and the ambi mag release. I sold it shortly afterwards.

the bore axis is literally <2mm higher than my 1911, and the sa trigger is the one that all the other polymer pistols wish they had.....

zhyla
09-12-2010, 7:28 PM
I think we'd talk about them more if the "because you suck and we hate you" dorks would mind their own business. They're great guns, great ergonomics, and easy to shoot if the grip isn't too gigantic for you.

thomasanelson
09-12-2010, 7:31 PM
IMHO, HK USP's are/were the best commercial out of the box handguns for the money, but they are expensive. My USP 45 is my primary home defense gun.

Prospector
09-12-2010, 7:44 PM
Great guns. Looking for more for the right price and I love my p2000s.

vNaK
09-12-2010, 7:54 PM
Complaining about HK's high bore axis is like complaining about Glock's grip angle. I don't see it as an issue, it is just something you have to get used to overtime.

I love my USPc, but I can't seem to shoot well with it as well as my other pistol. I'm thinking the heavy LEM pull and/or LEM trigger itself is part of the cause. Hopefully when I convert it to light LEM it will help some.

Cato
09-12-2010, 8:44 PM
I own a USP 40 and a USP 45.

Everything about these guns are 1st class: the BMW of the gun world. However, the trigger on my USP 40 is terrible. It was as though it was connected with a rubber band! My accuracy really suffers because of that trigger. HK put out a DVD "How to master the USP trigger." All in all, I suppose it's accurate enough for a pistol. Pistols are close quarters weapons. My USP 45's trigger is much better. However, my G17 and all my Sigs have much better triggers. I hate the external safeties too. Still beautiful guns.

toopercentmlk
09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
They're good to the degree that there's no need for discussion...

Verci0013
09-12-2010, 11:25 PM
My first time shopping around for a gun the USP 9 was the first rental I have ever shot and I fell in love with it. But I never got around in buying one, I'm actually looking at a USP 45 but I can't find any to rent..I've heard the recoil felt with the USP45 are almost the same with a USP9 is this true?

UserM4
09-13-2010, 12:10 AM
A USP is an overbuilt tank of a gun. Take one apart and you'll see why they're so rugged and feed so reliably. HK isn't just a handgun company. They make some of the best automatic military weapons in the world and know what it takes to make things last a very long time. But I'm sure Glock has that kind of R&D too.

ap3572001
09-13-2010, 8:10 AM
Thank You ! I did get a USP 45 full size. Like new. Made in 1995. What is interesting that it is VERY, VERY accurate with +P 45 HST 230 grain loads. NO jams and very little recoil compare to a full size 1911 when using the same load.

I will give it a test run for a few weeks, send it back to HK LE Service to have it checked out and start using it off duty. Works great with Ted Blocker holster it came with.

Juice5610
09-13-2010, 8:59 AM
HK's are the epitome of the polymer pistol. Theres a test they did where the shot a squib load then shot agian with the squib still in the barrel!!!! the gun still operated fine but the grouping of the firearm opened up a bit. That is what you call a handgun!

Dhena81
09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
My first time shopping around for a gun the USP 9 was the first rental I have ever shot and I fell in love with it. But I never got around in buying one, I'm actually looking at a USP 45 but I can't find any to rent..I've heard the recoil felt with the USP45 are almost the same with a USP9 is this true?

Go to Insight indoor shooting range 17020 Alburtis Ave Artesia, CA 90701. They have the USP 45 along with like 50 other handguns for you to rent and shoot for 10 bucks if you buy there ammo which is right in line with buying reloads at Ammo brothers but I think Ammo Brothers reloads are of better quality. The 10 bucks is a flat fee you pay and can shoot all of there pistols. I go there to take friends and family shooting so they can find a pistol that they like because of the selection. I fell in love with the USP 45 there :-(

gorenut
09-13-2010, 10:24 AM
On a side note, any of you USP shooters try Hogue Handalls? I just got a pair cheap on ebay and awaiting them to get shipped.

thatsteveguy
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
On a side note, any of you USP shooters try Hogue Handalls? I just got a pair cheap on ebay and awaiting them to get shipped.

That was one of the first things I put on my Expert. Big difference in grasp and control for me!

gorenut
09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
That was one of the first things I put on my Expert. Big difference in grasp and control for me!

Good to know. Be very much looking forward to it. Thanks.

Jerry X
09-13-2010, 4:56 PM
HK USP = Cadillac of plastic pistols.

1jamie@ogas
09-23-2010, 6:39 PM
I purchased a full size USP .45 last year and love it. It had all the features that I required. SA/DA trigger, safety-decock, ambi control lever (im a lefty, handed that is), ability to handle +p rounds, best mag release IMO, and high capacity for a .45. The grip is quite large but I am 6'2 and have big hands so I find it confortable. I could not find another high quality pistol that matched my needs. Sig was the one I also considered but had right handed controls only (shot my freinds side by side and think that the are of equal quality also IMO). Over 1,500 round of varying quality along with +p loads and not a single issue.

LethalDog
09-23-2010, 7:29 PM
The only good alternative to a USP is the XD. But man that magazine release is a pain on USP. Its way low.

gorenut
09-23-2010, 8:28 PM
I think also another thing about the USP is that the stock trigger leaves a lot to be desired. Also, just handling one, there isn't much to talk about. When my friends tried a USP, they just thought it felt like any other polymer that had a high bore axis (which is another reason people might dislike it). I think you really start appreciating the over-engineering of the pistol when you maintain it. When you strip it down, the slide is just about the most solid as a semi gets.. and this is even comparing to P226 Stainlesses I've owned. Its the only polymer framed pistol that i've handled that I can say I can safely beat someone with if I run outta ammo. Everything is just tightly and well-machined.