PDA

View Full Version : Your second gun....What made you choose?

Porscheguy
09-11-2010, 2:50 PM
I was reading a thread and more than one actually about picking your first gun. I'm somewhat nuts when I get into a new hobby and already am thinking about the next one. Luckily, I'm better at this these days and will hold back.

Anyway, as far as non-leo's etc and those who mainly use handguns for target practice, maybe other reasons, what made you choose your second handgun? Was it the different round size, bigger/smaller gun etc? Random? Wanting a revolver/semi for a change etc. etc.

Just trying to learn more from a newb about the thinking of a gun enthusiast.

I have a shotgun and a G 19, I think if I was to get another, it may be a .22 rifle before I get another pistol although there are several that already appeal to me but I wonder if it's worth the money as opposed to traveling, spending elsewhere blah blah..

Black Majik
09-11-2010, 2:52 PM
My first was a 1911 in .45 ACP.

My second was a 9mm due to lower recoil and ammo cost. It didn't make a difference because I ended up spending more money each range session instead of costing less. Lesson learned.

sevensix2x51
09-11-2010, 2:56 PM
well ive had a .22 rifle since i was about 10 years old, so ive never really had to fill that slot. but the slot i would fill, if i were you, is a good reliable centerfire rifle. not because it's cheap to shoot or practical for home defense, but because america was founded on rifles, and every man (and able bodied woman, to be politically correct) should have one, god forbid the need arises to actually have to use it to protect our families and neighbors. :thumbsup:

as far as my second (technically third) handgun goes- went with the glock 21, and had a lot of fun. mostly because i didnt know any better. ;) then i got the springfield GI, and hated it. finally, got enough money for an HK USP compact in .40s&w, and all was right with the world. if i could do it all over again, i wouldnt have wasted the $1200 on the g21 and the GI. i own neither pistol. the glock was a good pistol, it just didnt feel perfect. and the GI was unreliable and bit the hell out of my hand every time i fired it.

Rhythm of Life
09-11-2010, 2:59 PM
A .22lr conversion for said gun.

ZX-10R
09-11-2010, 3:00 PM
First gun was a Remington Apache .22...Second gun was a PSL and WASR / AK pattern just a week later.

noob_tube
09-11-2010, 3:02 PM
First gun was a Glock 22. My second is a Walther P22 with 5" barrel. I went with this one because it felt good in my hands, shoots great, and its a .22 so I can shoot all day for $6 :)

Dubels
09-11-2010, 3:32 PM
First G17 RTF w/ AA kit, second P229 9mm.

norcal.xd
09-11-2010, 3:34 PM
i bought my first 9mm in may of last year. 3 months later my second buy was a xd9

vintagedude88
09-11-2010, 3:36 PM
Just like you I started out with a shotgun and then a pistol. What came next? A rifle. That is something you should seriously consider. However, I had a .22lr in the form of a GSG5 plinker. Problem with that is that shooting it felt no different that shooting an airsoft gun. Although it was very accurate, it didn't seem fun enough to be worth the 10 itty bitty rounds I had to feed the mag. Also, I had quite a few ftf and fte and was told that this was typical of .22lr ammo.

Right now, I am having the most fun with my .223 rifle. It shoots quite accurately and the ammo is relatively cheap especially if you can get the Walmart 100 packs. Depending on which rifle you get there can be an endless amount of accessories to choose from especially with the optics involved.

chesterthehero
09-11-2010, 4:00 PM
second was a marlin 60 (.22 semi auto rifle)

Legasat
09-11-2010, 4:16 PM
First, think about what you need this gun to do. You bought the first gun for the reason. Are there other reasons/scenarios for which another firearm might be better suited?

My first was a revolver for home protection. It is still filling that role. Others are for hunting, precision shooting, carrying, zombie attack, etc.

GŁnter
09-11-2010, 4:31 PM
My 2nd handgun was a .22 caliber Ruger target pistol. The full-size 9mm service pistol is great but not economic on ammo with my current budget. I recommend every handgunner to own at least one .22

ZX-10R
09-11-2010, 4:53 PM
Oh my bad I forgot my reason behind my PSL...My wife is Romanian and I have been there twice myself. I loved the way it looked and it was the same action as an AK which is great. Ammo is cheap and bountiful and it is a fairly accurate shooter...I still think I have the best PSL around. In addition, the price is right and once I was done fixing it up, staining the wood, upgrading the scope, and putting a bipod, I now have a rifle that everyone mistakes for an SVD.

It would take a $5k offer for me to part with it.

09-11-2010, 5:12 PM
Anyway, as far as non-leo's etc and those who mainly use handguns for target practice, maybe other reasons, what made you choose your second handgun? Was it the different round size, bigger/smaller gun etc? Random? Wanting a revolver/semi for a change etc. etc.

My second firearm/pistol purchase was a Glock 27. I bought it for its sub-compact size as well as its chambering and capacity.

I have a shotgun and a G 19, I think if I was to get another, it may be a .22 rifle before I get another pistol although there are several that already appeal to me but I wonder if it's worth the money as opposed to traveling, spending elsewhere blah blah..

A 22 rimfire is an excellent choice for your next firearm. I recently picked up a Ruger single six convertable revolver and a Marlin Golden 39A rifle.

hoss_hk
09-11-2010, 6:25 PM
Second was Springfield 1911. Always wanted a 1911 and price/features/slimmer grip were right. "Had" to choose the HK Match over it as a first gun in 1999 which seems like a good decision, because I couldn't have done it the other way around now.

GunDog
09-11-2010, 7:03 PM
Second handgun bought was a Smith Model 15 Combat Masterpiece with a 4" bbl. Reason: Price was right; $75.00 as I recall and it was in mint condition. Bought it used from a Utah mail carrier many years ago.

Blackhawk556
09-11-2010, 7:09 PM
First handgun was xd. My second handgun was a g17. The reason I picked that one was because of all the stuff I kept reading about glocks. Every where I read, everyone and their granny swore by the glock brand. I kept reading that 9mm is an excellent choice In the glock platform.

I've shot about 300 rounds and everything as been running fine.
They are fugly guns but reliability is important.

9mm is cheap to shoot so that was important also

I just picked up a m&p9c, make sure to keep those (m&p) on your list. :)

1forall
09-11-2010, 7:11 PM
First was a S&W Sigma40, i wanted a bigger caliber so second was a XD45. Plus, the wife started going to the range with me and I don't like to share:D

SpringfieldEMP
09-11-2010, 7:44 PM
1st Bersa 380,
2nd Kimber 1911 .45,
3rd Springfield EMP 9mm
4th I'm thinking revolver or rifle...

Got the kimber for something more powerful then the 380...

XDRoX
09-11-2010, 7:54 PM
A shotgun and a G19 are the perfect beginning to a well rounded collection. IMO you now need a 22, either a rifle or a pistol.

Fishslayer
09-11-2010, 9:00 PM

Anyway, as far as non-leo's etc and those who mainly use handguns for target practice, maybe other reasons, what made you choose your second handgun?

My first handgun was a Ruger KP90.

My second handgun is a Taurus 669 .357 wheelgun I bought because the bottom feeder had to go to Prescott for FTF issues.

I still have the Taurus and like it a lot, but now a S&W M28 sleeps next to the Ruger on zombie duty...

vNaK
09-11-2010, 9:02 PM
First gun was a USPc 40S&W LEM. I purchased for SD and carry.

Second gun had to be 9mm, able to convert to .22lr, and possibly used for future matches. My choices were G19, 92FS, and M&P. Almost pulled the trigger on the 92FS (wanted a DA/SA), but the grip was too big for me. Then I found CZ 75 series guns and checked out a CZ PCR and it was everything I wanted in a gun. Great ergos, accurate, reliable, low recoil, and it is purrrtty. :D

Trapper
09-11-2010, 9:16 PM
Second long gun was a 12ga Winchester 120 Ranger, ordered from Sears in 1986. Before that I was hunting with a Ithica single shot 20ga that was barrowed from a friend and needed to get a shotgun of my own. My second handgun was a 6" Smith & Wesson Model 19 purchased in 1989 for $275.
With a shotgun and a Glock 19 in your collection I would add a .22 rifle, a .357 revolver, or a .223 bolt gun.

Bill Carson
09-11-2010, 9:18 PM
I had to go bigger caliber and I HAD to go GLOCK

Fishslayer
09-11-2010, 9:27 PM
... and I HAD to go GLOCK

No you didn't...:cool:

robcoe
09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
My second was a Ruger 22/45. Simply for ammo cost.

shellyzsweet
09-11-2010, 10:10 PM
First gun was a 12 gauge mossberg mariner (18.5 inch barrel)....not a whole lot that will get less recoil than that....unless you get into the 50's and such....

but I did find something a lil more painful to shoot....and thats my Mosin M44 which was my second gun. However it was spur the moment and not well thought out and on a good sale....so I got it.

After that I got my Sig p239 cause I wanted a semi-auto pistol. Its compact....but not a whole lot....so its good for my CCW outside CA and good for camping and stuff, and big enough for HD at the time. I chose .40 cause .357 sig was too expensive for me and it was that or 9mm....I took a gamble and it turned out okay.

smittty
09-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I was reading a thread and more than one actually about picking your first gun. I'm somewhat nuts when I get into a new hobby and already am thinking about the next one. Luckily, I'm better at this these days and will hold back.

Just trying to learn more from a newb about the thinking of a gun enthusiast.

You're right about the 22 LR and you should get one. For a rifle I'd look at the S&W 15-22. 22 handguns are not as simple of a choice but I'm going to suggest something that I know everyone would love, the Kimber 1911 rimfire, http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/rimfire/

Smitty

JanG
09-11-2010, 11:30 PM
first gun was a taurus pt99, then an ria tactical, bersa 380, ruger single six, sa gi 1911, kimber warrior.

only the last 2 remain in my possession. and i'm probably going to get another 1911 pattern pistol before the year ends. should have stopped with the taurus.... :D

Fantasma
09-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I bought a taurus 24/7 Pro .40 because I just wanted a cheap cool looking gun I had no idea about accuracy, reliability, a general idea of which brands to go by, I just wanted a gun lol...

So yeah I got it, shot it about 1000 times and decided it wasn't for me.

I wanted something metal, forget polymer, I wanted to shoot accurate up to 35-50 yards, hitting them constantly over and over is inspiring you gotta love angeles range.... I wanted single action only, and I wanted my gun to fit like a glove... and of course 9mm because whoever tells you 9mm is not enough is smoking something...

So that led me to the CZ75B Single action... in 9mm, as my second handgun. Great choice as their is no better option out there IMHO for the price point and what you get..

The 24/7 made me hate the caliber .40 and I don't think I'll ever own that caliber again. Target shooting with a 9 is where its at... Hitting those small metal plates at ASR 35-50 years out is very good practice with instant gratification when you hit them CLINK! lol

johnthomas
09-12-2010, 12:41 AM
I got my C&R license at a time when C&R handguns were still able to be shipped directly to the license holder. I decided to buy a CZ52 because of the price, 149.00, but if I bought three, they were 139.00 each. My 1st, 2nd and 3rd were all CZ52's. My fourth was a CZ82, fifth and 6th were Nagant revolvers. My seventh was a colt 1911 combat commander 70 series and my 8th that came with the commander, both for 5 hundred was a HR 22 revolver. Price was the main factor for buying the guns I bought.
My main shooter is the 1911 because that is my HD gun. After that the CZ52's, cheap ammo and the CZ82. The HR 22 is in need of timing. I chambered one of the Nagant pistols in 32 acp. I am not a revolver fan. I switch to long guns when I go to the range once in a while.

scarville
09-12-2010, 1:07 AM
My first handgun was a 1911 because all the experts told me that was the gun to own. One day a fellow at the range took pity on me and let me try his S&W K frame. I don't remember the model but I discovered I could actually hit something with a handgun. I couldn't afford a S&W back then so I spent part of my next paycheck on a Ruger Security Six.

RollingCode3
09-12-2010, 4:49 AM
First gun was a Glock 17. Second gun was a Gock 26.

bandook
09-12-2010, 8:17 AM
My recommendation - pick out a centerfire rifle (e.g. Savage .223 for cheap ammo). Then, piggyback a Marlin .22 on the same DROS. This way, you can get a .22 for about $100. (Marlin has a $25 mail in rebate for a blued model 795 through the end of the year...)

Porscheguy
09-12-2010, 11:47 PM
First handgun was xd. My second handgun was a g17. The reason I picked that one was because of all the stuff I kept reading about glocks. Every where I read, everyone and their granny swore by the glock brand. I kept reading that 9mm is an excellent choice In the glock platform.

I've shot about 300 rounds and everything as been running fine.
They are fugly guns but reliability is important.

9mm is cheap to shoot so that was important also

I just picked up a m&p9c, make sure to keep those (m&p) on your list. :)

Love the difference in opinions here. I chose the glock also because of recommendations etc, but I think they're the best looking guns out there practically. everyone's different. lol.

BMWguy206
09-13-2010, 12:06 AM
First handgun was a Glock 35. I got into Glocks because a friend of mine is in LEO and decided to do research on that company.

2nd gun was a Glock 17 9mm in the RTF frame but sold it to a friend of mine since he wanted a 9mm.

My new 2nd gun is a Kimber 1911 TLE/RL II.

rubber duckie
09-13-2010, 12:14 AM
first gun saiga 7.62 , second sig 1911 gsr , third ar, forth colt .380, next bolt gun, then 9mm ( sig/xd/px4 storm/ or baby desert eagle) , and .22 ar pistol.

i just like having something different to shoot, but at the end of the day my AR and 1911 gets all my love.

KillZone45
09-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Seeing as I had an expensive to feed XD in 45 I knew I wanted a 9mm for cheaper shooting. I was originally looking at getting an M&P in 9mm but the guy sold it so I was looking at a G19, well then I found an HK USPc in 9mm and it had the right price for being used. I havent shot it yet due to being low on funds but I replaced the worn out stock NS with new Mepro's and am waiting to take her to the range. If I like her I might add a LEM trigger, if I dont like the SA/DA Ill sell it for either an M&P in 9mm or maybe some sort of Glock. I have had my eye on a G20 for awhile now, I also like the G19 and the G34 is def growing on me. But I want this to be my CCW when the time comes so the G34 will have to wait.

rubber duckie
09-13-2010, 1:40 AM
Seeing as I had an expensive to feed XD in 45 I knew I wanted a 9mm for cheaper shooting. I was originally looking at getting an M&P in 9mm but the guy sold it so I was looking at a G19, well then I found an HK USPc in 9mm and it had the right price for being used. I havent shot it yet due to being low on funds but I replaced the worn out stock NS with new Mepro's and am waiting to take her to the range. If I like her I might add a LEM trigger, if I dont like the SA/DA Ill sell it for either an M&P in 9mm or maybe some sort of Glock. I have had my eye on a G20 for awhile now, I also like the G19 and the G34 is def growing on me. But I want this to be my CCW when the time comes so the G34 will have to wait.

mind giving me first crack at that usp if u want to sell?

evidens83
09-13-2010, 6:42 AM
My very first gun was a XD9. Second gun was a XD45. Only reason I got it to tell you the truth is that my coworker was hurting for cash so she let it go BNIB for $300. How can I resist :D

Andy Taylor
09-13-2010, 7:17 AM
Well I got my second gun years and years ago. i would say it was Clint Eastwood who chose my second gun. A 6.5" S&W M29-2 .44 Magnum.
My first gun was a 3.5" S&W M27-2 357 Magnum.
Both were purchased on my 21st birthday. I had been saving my nickels and dimes for a while in preperation.

650IS350
09-13-2010, 7:59 AM
2nd gun is a PSL with a 8x scope.

Wanted a cheap gun that is real fun to shoot and wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg for ammo. So I went with the 7.62x54R route.

1st gun is a AR15

shoupdawg
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
My second firearm was a Sig P6...because everyone needs a 9mm. My second pistol was a West German Sig 220...because everyone needs a 45.

mcsoupman
09-13-2010, 2:11 PM
1st Taurus PT 99

2nd S&W M&P9 - Picked it because everyone should own at least 2 9mm. Reason was so wife and I could should together and I only have to worry about 1 caliber of ammo and it is cheaper than the rest.

3rd M&P9c - because everyone should have 3 9mm. It was compact for my future CCW.

armandolo
09-13-2010, 2:20 PM
Russian Dragunov. Was reading an article in Guns and Ammo back in 1993 about 7.62x54R because of my Mosin Nagant. Last paragraph said something like "...And the exotic Dragunov runs for about $xxxx". I've seen Dragunov in a book i had about Russian arms and loved the looks of it. After the article it was like "Damn you can buy those things? I got to go get me one". So I did.

KillZone45
09-13-2010, 2:31 PM
Only reason I got it to tell you the truth is that my coworker was hurting for cash so she let it go BNIB for $300. How can I resist :D

Better not say stuff like that, other CalGunner's high on their horse might talk bad about you for getting such a great deal:rolleyes:

bombadillo
09-13-2010, 2:44 PM
First gun was a .22 rifle. 2nd gun, 1st pistol was a Ruger P345 which is still my bedside gun. It just kept going downhill from there.

Too Slow
09-13-2010, 2:55 PM
First I bought and m&p in 9mm. 31 days later I bought a hi point in 9mm. I wanted a cheap gun to keep at my office. 31 days later I bought a .22 beretta neos revolver. 31 days later I bought a springfield 1911. If I continued, this could become a long post....

Bullwinkle
09-13-2010, 3:00 PM
I'm not sure of the exact order... I'm pretty sure my second gun was a Mossberg 500 Persuader, picked up at Walmart for under $200 (back when Walmart had the 'nads to sell firearms in So Cal). No particular reason, other than it was cheap and available (an impulse buy as I was passing by).

However, my second handgun (since this is, after all, the 'California Handguns' subforum) was a Beretta 96 Inox. My first gun (of any kind) was a Beretta 92 Inox, and I wanted the stronger caliber for my SD gun. Love those pistols!

tacticalcity
09-13-2010, 3:06 PM
My first personally owned firearm that was not issued by Uncle Sam was a Beretta 96FS. My second was a Glock 23. After completing a 4 Day Defensive Handgun Course I quickly realized what a nightmare a Beretta is to use compared to a Glock due to the DA/SA action and heavy 8lbs+ trigger pull of the Beretta. Glock's safe-action trigger system is drastically faster and easier to master. Future firearms training courses proved this was a great decision.

Super Spy
09-13-2010, 3:10 PM
First gun was a Glock, 2nd was an AR.....

arc
09-13-2010, 3:12 PM
1st - Ruger p90 because I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy shooting but still wanted something reliable and powerful enough for home defense.

2nd - Sig p226 in .40S&W rented one at a range and shot very well with it, it just felt right. Got one with a rail so I can attach a light to it. This is now my home defense weapon.

3rd - Sig p239 in .40S&W in preparation for that wonderful magical day when an average citizen will be able to CCW. Same feel, controls, and caliber as the p226 but smaller and single stack and just as accurate.

Next year I may try and sell off the Ruger and pick up a 1911 of some kind, just for the anniversary.

-James

DaveFJ80
09-13-2010, 3:28 PM
1. Got a Benelli SNT Tactical
2. Got a Glock 19
3. Sold the Benelli, got a Mossberg Maverick 88 shotgun
4. Sold the Mav 88, got a RIA 1911 Tactical .45
5. Sold the RIA, got a Kimber TLE/RL II .45

All that in the past 6-7 months.

The shotgun was fun to shoot and nice to have, but the main reason why I got rid of it was because I never got to shoot it that much. The ranges nearby me (within 5 min of driving) only allow handguns and select rifles. I like to shoot my guns, so I picked up another handgun to use at the range. I almost picked up another 9mm (RIA 1911 9mm Tactical, via intrafamily) but I figured I'd rather have a .45 instead. I already had a Glock so I didn't want the G21SF. I wanted the 1911 so I picked that up.

Next gun... probably another shotgun.

Psypher
09-13-2010, 7:54 PM
My first handgun was my HK P2000 because I loved the way it felt and shot and my wife felt the same way. My second purchase, my Les Baer, was simply because my buddy was selling it for 600.00 less then what I was seeing them go for. Had to jump on that. :D

Caliyanks
09-14-2010, 9:03 AM
Was real excited when I got my first gun, a Taures PT 24/7 Tactical 40cal. Then quickly relized was not good for concealed carry. Second gun is a S&W M&P 40c. Got this one because it fit nice in my hand and I wanted to keep the caliber the same so I wouldn't have to many ammo variations. Wife has the MP 9c and a S&W J frame. The 9mm was to big for her so she carry's the revolver mostly.

dagerk
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
My handgun purchases and desires so far have been based upon the stories and movies I grew up with. Mystique, legend, and emotion.

After that I try to fit in ergonomics and economics :)

First handgun - 1911. A 1911 is what pops into my head when people say "handgun". Found a deal on a Springfield.
Second handgun - 6" GP100 because everyone needs a big Dirty Harry type revolver and a 357 Magnum. I couldn't afford a Python.
Third handgun - probably be a Colt SAA or Dragoon because of all of the cowboy books and movies....

Long guns are a different story.....

Jim

ace21
09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
My first gun was a beretta 92fs
and my second was a HK USP .40 and a Glock 20 and Glock 21. It was before the One pistol per month rule.

Johnnykck
09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
My first gun is a 1911 in .45 ACP, my second is M1A loaded in 7.62x51. Love both of them for reliability and accuracy and looks. Neither has let me down or disappointed me in any way. Ammo is expensive but you get what you pay for.

ilikeguns
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Outdoor needs. Started with a G17 and purchased a 357 as my second. Both are keepers.

Although at one time I had two 9mm's at once due to a good deal here on calguns.

My first was a Glock 22 but traded for G17 due to ammo cost and recoil.