PDA

View Full Version : Is 24X to much?

r3captain
09-11-2010, 2:48 PM
I'm in the process of receiving an FN SPR in the next week or so. It will be my first rifle of its type and I plan on just doing informal target shooting out to 100-250 yards. Do you think that the 24X Leupold scope I have already will serve me okay, or should I look for an adjustable type like 4-16 etc.? I have the Luepold listed for trade on calguns now.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=340791

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2010, 2:58 PM
It really depends on you and what type of informal shooting you are talking about. Personally, I'd put the 24x on a BR type gun or a smallbore silloutte rifle and get a variable power scope for plinking. If you do not understand the advantages of seeing mirage, you will not like the 24x at all.

ZX-10R
09-11-2010, 3:01 PM
Nope...If it is adjustable to that mag then you have at least 18 other magnifications to use as needed.

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2010, 3:11 PM
Nope...If it is adjustable to that mag then you have at least 18 other magnifications to use as needed.

It's a fixed power. If it wasn't, it would have infinately more magnifications. Like 12x, 12.001x, 12.01x, 12.05234x, etc.:p

X-NewYawker
09-11-2010, 3:40 PM
Too much scope for your distance.
Try the 6.5-20X Leupold -- beyond 20x, unless you're a dedicated bench rest shooter you will see too much mirage and even your heart beat with that much scope -- you're going to find that you'll be pulling back to 15X at the max for most shooting.

TKM
09-11-2010, 4:17 PM
It will maximize your time at the range.

You burp or the wind blows and you will have to find the target again. Hours of entertainment/frustration.

That sounds stupid but it's not.

ZX-10R
09-11-2010, 4:47 PM
It's a fixed power. If it wasn't, it would have infinately more magnifications. Like 12x, 12.001x, 12.01x, 12.05234x, etc.:p

Bah you caught me on decimals. :D

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2010, 4:57 PM
It will maximize your time at the range.

You burp or the wind blows and you will have to find the target again. Hours of entertainment/frustration.

That sounds stupid but it's not.

Not if you know what you're doing. I knew a girl who shot a fixed 36X scope offhand! She was either a AAA or Master smallbore sillhouette shooter.

Solidsnake87
09-11-2010, 5:22 PM
The FN SPR is a VERY accurate rifle. Honestly, get yourself a $300 super sniper scope from SWFA. This scope will allow you to shoot out to 1K for about $300 of scope. Use the money you save to start saving up for a Nightforce sir. :)

emcon5
09-11-2010, 6:20 PM
You already own it, give it a try.

The biggest PITA about a high magnification fixed power is field of view. It can be difficult to locate the target in the scope.

If your "informal target shooting out to 100-250 yards" is going to be primarily from the bench (or prone), it will work just fine.

By the way, I have the 36X version of that scope, and have varmint hunted with it, which I admit was challenging. But punching paper from the bench is no problem at all, once you learn to live with and benefit from the mirage.

X-NewYawker
09-11-2010, 7:21 PM
You already own it, give it a try.

The biggest PITA about a high magnification fixed power is field of view. It can be difficult to locate the target in the scope.

If your "informal target shooting out to 100-250 yards" is going to be primarily from the bench (or prone), it will work just fine.

By the way, I have the 36X version of that scope, and have varmint hunted with it, which I admit was challenging. But punching paper from the bench is no problem at all, once you learn to live with and benefit from the mirage.

HAd the Leupold fixed 24 and 36 powers -- the REAL fun is finding out your best group of the day was shot on your buddy's target.

killshot44
09-11-2010, 7:41 PM
A 20X SWFA S.S. works for me from 100 to 1,000. Gotta deal with pulse input at short range but no big deal, makes you learn to control your breathing. But if you KNOW you're not going past 250, the 24X might not be the best choice.

Don't know why some people have such a hard time with target acquisition with high-mag scopes. Guess I'm just lucky.

SLYoteBoy
09-11-2010, 7:45 PM
Never had just a fixed power scope let alone with that much magnification I think it would really bother me , regardless of the distance.

QuarterBoreGunner
09-11-2010, 8:06 PM
I had a Leupy fixed 36 once upon a time; thought I'd try out benchrest shooting... and damn, I sucked at it. My heartbeat would make the cross hairs jump around. Just never got used to it and ended up selling it.

ar15barrels
09-11-2010, 9:05 PM
I had a Leupy fixed 36 once upon a time; thought I'd try out benchrest shooting... and damn, I sucked at it. My heartbeat would make the cross hairs jump around. Just never got used to it and ended up selling it.

Keep working on bench technique until the crosshairs are not bouncing around anymore.
THEN start firing rounds. ;)

QuarterBoreGunner
09-11-2010, 9:11 PM
Thanks Randall... easier to say than to do. I *like* my morning coffee... not willing to give it up.

ar15barrels
09-11-2010, 9:18 PM
Thanks Randall... easier to say than to do.

Indeed.
It takes a while to figure it out, but the right kind of bags and front rests are key.
Benchrest guns are typically shot free recoil in such a way that no part of your body besides your index fingertip and thumb tip actually touch the gun.

emcon5
09-11-2010, 9:19 PM
Don't know why some people have such a hard time with target acquisition with high-mag scopes. Guess I'm just lucky.FOV at 100 yards for the 24X is about 4 feet, for the 36X is about 3 feet.

I never had a problem at the range, but finding a P-dog or ground squirrel usually took some effort.

Then again, it could just be a matter of practice, my buddy has the same glass on his .220 Swift, and was always on target a lot faster than me.

The other PITA about the 36X at least is the eye relief was very critical. If your eyeball isn't in exactly the right spot, you can't see a damn thing, and even a relatively light recoiling .243 was enough to lose the target, so you couldn't watch the impact.

Kelvrick
09-11-2010, 9:46 PM
Sorry, I got bored reading replies after like 2 minutes so I'll just write my own.

I think if you're just hitting paper/steel at 100-400, 24x will be fine. On my 308 10fp, I often have my own scope at 25x anywhere from 100-600, just turning down when mirage gets too bad. I understand it helping you read the wind, but by 1k, I'm back down to around 14x because I can't even make out the target.

You already have the scope, see if it doesn't work for you before spending more money. Also, its nice being able to spot your own holes at closer distances.

r3captain
09-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Wow, looks like I have a lot to think about. My plan, subject to change of course, is to benchrest and my local range only goes to 200 or so yards. The SPR will come with the nice 30mm FN rings and the Luepold has a 1" tube which is why I was looking to trade. Maybe I'll get an additional set of rings and at least give the 24X a try. Once I really get into it I'm sure I'll just have to spend more $ and drive further! Thanks for all the good info..

mrkurtz
09-12-2010, 5:07 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is mirage and how do you use it?

ar15barrels
09-12-2010, 5:25 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is mirage and how do you use it?

Mirage is a disturbance in what you can see caused by heat rising from the ground.
In the picture below, the mirage looks like water running across the road.

http://lendmeurear.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/water-mirage-in-the-street.jpg

Mirage is highly susceptible to the wind.
Even the slightest breeze will cause it to rise at an angle instead of straight up.
You "use" the mirage by observing it.
When you learn how to read it, you can have an idea how much wind there is.
If you know how much wind there is, you can better correct for the bullet's drift that will be caused by the wind.

More importantly though, you can see the CHANGE in the mirage from shot to shot and know if the wind has changed.