PDA

View Full Version : If not NRA, then who?

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-16-2006, 5:48 PM
Admins: Do what you want if you think this is in the wrong forum or gets out of hand.

I've seen a lot of *****ing about the NRA not doing its job and our RKBA keeps eroding away. I do agree that in a lot of areas we're not currently regaining groud we've lost. If the NRA sux so bad, then what group is out there that's more effective? If the NRA is the biggest force out there, we need to be a part of it and make things happen. If they're not, we need to join up with whoever is and do the same.

Also, it really bugs me to see half the gun owners in the county come out of the woodworks to a NRA member's council meeting when there's some critical piece of legislation that already made it out of the legislature and the governator is considering signing it, THEN they all get upset and write letters and make phone calls. But where were these same people when the bill was in comittee or just coming up to the senate or assembly? They certainly could have made a lot more effect if they had shown up earlier. Sometimes I think that if the NRA in CA is weak, it's because the conviction of its membership is weak. What is the NRA without its members calling their representatives and writing letters? The NRA isn't thousands of members mailing in checks for $35 every year so that Wayne LaPierre can tell us things we agree with. WE are the NRA.

PS: One thing that really does annoy me is the survey the NRA mails out all the time with questions like "Do you think the NRA should try to protect our 2nd Amendment freedoms?" "Are you opposed to the government confiscating your private property?"

shopkeep
05-16-2006, 5:56 PM
the answer is right under your nose: calguns.net

Calguns.net brought legal AR-15 and AK-47 recievers back to California. Various forum members such as Bill, Ben, Wes, and others have done more for RKBA in this state than the NRA has in decades.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-16-2006, 6:12 PM
the answer is right under your nose: calguns.net

Calguns.net brought legal AR-15 and AK-47 recievers back to California. Various forum members such as Bill, Ben, Wes, and others have done more for RKBA in this state than the NRA has in decades.
Good point. Then let's also talk about how groups like the NRA members councils can work together with calguns.net. Surely multiple groups can make each other more effective.

Santa Cruz Armory
05-17-2006, 2:54 PM
Admins: Do what you want if you think this is in the wrong forum or gets out of hand.

I've seen a lot of *****ing about the NRA not doing its job and our RKBA keeps eroding away. I do agree that in a lot of areas we're not currently regaining ground we've lost. If the NRA sux so bad, then what group is out there that's more effective? If the NRA is the biggest force out there, we need to be a part of it and make things happen. If they're not, we need to join up with whoever is and do the same.

Also, it really bugs me to see half the gun owners in the county come out of the woodworks to a NRA member's council meeting when there's some critical piece of legislation that already made it out of the legislature and the governator is considering signing it, THEN they all get upset and write letters and make phone calls. But where were these same people when the bill was in committee or just coming up to the senate or assembly? They certainly could have made a lot more effect if they had shown up earlier. Sometimes I think that if the NRA in CA is weak, it's because the conviction of its membership is weak. What is the NRA without its members calling their representatives and writing letters? The NRA isn't thousands of members mailing in checks for $35 every year so that Wayne La Pierre can tell us things we agree with. WE are the NRA.

PS: One thing that really does annoy me is the survey the NRA mails out all the time with questions like "Do you think the NRA should try to protect our 2nd Amendment freedoms?" "Are you opposed to the government confiscating your private property?"

In simple terms: What has the NRA or any other "big" pro gun organization done about the OLL situation?

I haven't seen or heard of any of the "big" organizations taking on this fight! you know why? because it's gonna be a big one and they don't want to take a chance at losing and hurting their reputation and chance losing members and DOLLARS! bottom line.

That's what really is disappointing about this state and this country...nobody wants to take a stand anymore; it might hurt thier rep. or their political party's rep.

I want to see all the pro gun organizations step up and fight this head on. If this situation was handled properly here in CA, and a positive outcome was reached it would open numerous doors for pro gun legislation in CA and in the rest of the country.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
05-17-2006, 5:21 PM
In simple terms: What has the NRA or any other "big" pro gun organization done about the OLL situation?

I haven't seen or heard of any of the "big" organizations taking on this fight! you know why? because it's gonna be a big one and they don't want to take a chance at losing and hurting their reputation and chance losing members and DOLLARS! bottom line.

That's what really is disappointing about this state and this country...nobody wants to take a stand anymore; it might hurt thier rep. or their political party's rep.

I want to see all the pro gun organizations step up and fight this head on. If this situation was handled properly here in CA, and a positive outcome was reached it would open numerous doors for pro gun legislation in CA and in the rest of the country.
What should the NRA do for OLLs? I cannot in a million years imagine them supporting the idea of registration for 30-40,000 rifles and inability to buy more in the future. They've always been against registration and purchasing restriction. It would, however, make sense for the NRA to try to use this as an illustration of how our AW laws are broken and never did anything in the first place, and try to get them repealed (that bill is already out there). That's a step that makes sense for everybody. How easy it will be to do is another question tho.