PDA

View Full Version : Negative experience at Reed's

ruchik
09-11-2010, 12:45 PM
So I met up with fellow Calgunner JDR to PPT a handgun today at Reed's. Here's what happened:

We met, shook hands, and JDR placed the gun on the counter, in its case. He opened it up, I asked "May I?", and immediately proceeded to clear and safe the gun. The elderly man behind the counter was standing there right in front of us, and did not say anything until I picked up the gun. Mind you, he could have interjected right when I reached for the gun, but instead he waited until after I had picked up and cleared it. He then tells us that for PPT's, a store employee needs to check the gun first to see if it's unloaded before a prospective buyer and seller handle the weapon. "If you wanted to, you would have shot me by now", he says. Fair enough, good point. Properly chastised, I offered him the gun to check, but he said "It's too late now". He walked off, and shortly thereafter another employee came over and asked us if someone had already checked the gun. We said no, we just found out from the other employee that it was a necessary process, and were told again to be sure next time we ask an employee to check the gun first. Got it.

After I was satisfied with the gun, we asked the elderly man if we could proceed with the paperwork. He says no. I looked at him uncertainly, unsure if he was joking or not. JDR asks why not, and the man says "Because you pissed me off. Not letting us check the gun first is bad etiquette."

Note, he didn't say "I can't process the paperwork for you because you broke store policy", or not even "I feel you are an unsafe individual", but "Because you pissed me off". As a new shooter buying his first handgun, I was aware of all the safety rules such as pointing the gun in a safe direction and whatnot, but I was not aware that checking to see if a gun was unloaded before store staff checked first during a PPT was bad etiquette. There were no signs or warnings in the store making customers aware of this policy. Maybe this was something I should have known already (kind of like it's expected to dress in a suit and tie for an interview), and I'll be the first to admit that it's a sensible idea and will definitely remember for future transactions. However, I feel that the elderly employee's response was even poorer form. "Because you pissed me off"? I asked him if we should come back some other day, and he says "Maybe". So now I can't buy a gun through Reed's unless he felt like it? Note, JDR and I were being polite and civil this entire time, but the employee was treating us like we were somehow beneath him.

We ended up PPTing the gun at Target Masters in Milpitas. I was favorably impressed with the attitudes of the employees, the atmosphere of the shop, and the selection of firearms and accessories. The employees there seem like they actually want your business, and are open to any questions. I asked about their range rules, no nonsense about having to take a class through them first (and paying them for it) in order to go on the range like Reed's (see earlier post by me on the subject). Bring a friend if you're renting, fill out a waiver, and you're set. After my experience at Reed's, and this is the second time I've had issues there, I will be taking my future business to Target Masters, and I recommend any other young and/or new shooters to do so as well. Heck, any shooter for that matter.

thmpr
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
This is the normal customer service one should expect from Reed's. I personally refuse to buy anything from there!

Brian2217
09-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Sounds about right for REED's. Stop going to them years ago.

psango
09-11-2010, 1:14 PM
This is the normal customer service one should expect from Reed's. I personally refuse to buy anything from there!

Your are correct. It is very difficult to do business with Reed's. I don't know why but their store has a very unfriendly atmosphere. I think their range is better than Target Master's but I still go to Milpitas. Mind you they have some problems too, but it's just easier and shoot and shop there. I think T.M. can be a little high priced, but they do have a good selection and a friendly staff.

I shop my local guns store first (try to give the local guy the business), Livermore has a good gun shop with friendly people(J&R), if not then I go over to Target Masters or online.

thevic
09-11-2010, 1:15 PM
Why did you piss of the elderly man?

:D

Colt-45
09-11-2010, 1:19 PM
This sounds crazy, some shops have made ME check them infront of them. Stuff like this varies from shop to shop.

You were impressed with Target Masters? I wasn't. I disliked the EXTRA TEST they make you take when you purchase a handgun. That test is in addition to your regular HSC card. Regardless if you have it or not you have to take that extra test. A ppt at Target Masters took 2 hours! and they have about 4 other forms you have to fill out in addition to the DROS.

ruchik
09-11-2010, 1:22 PM
Why did you piss of the elderly man?

:D

Well, it was me checking to see if the gun was unloaded before he got to it first that apparently pissed him off. Not intentional, didn't even know I was supposed to, but I guess it was enough to make him not like me.

This sounds crazy, some shops have made ME check them infront of them. Stuff like this varies from shop to shop.

You were impressed with Target Masters? I wasn't. I disliked the EXTRA TEST they make you take when you purchase a handgun. That test is in addition to your regular HSC card. Regardless if you have it or not you have to take that extra test. A ppt at Target Masters took 2 hours! and they have about 4 other forms you have to fill out in addition to the DROS.

I was impressed with what I personally saw. I already had my HSC, and this was the first time I ever bought and DROS'ed a gun, so I dont have anything else to compare it against (in the interest of full disclosure). But I thought it went pretty smoothly, no hassles, just a lot of signing stuff.

psango
09-11-2010, 1:28 PM

I like target masters, yes, but it does take more time to buy a gun or do a PPT there than to buy a car most places. They have a lot of house rules.

RMB Enterprises or Roger's Relics are very easy places to do a PPT or out of state transfers. J&R and BullsEye are PPT friendly but remember none of them are making any money on a PPT. So try and give them some real business from time to time.