PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD series doubt??

SIGman Freud
09-11-2010, 8:57 AM
Hi all,

Anyone understand why there is doubt coming from people, incl. gun shop employees, regarding the reliability and durability of the XD pistols? I have noticed the lower prices for the XD9 and 45. Was there an overabundance of these pistols made? I also see more of them in the used guns sections, online and in gun stores. Lastly, I've heard 3 different gun store employees express FUD regarding these pistols QC specifically because they're made in Croatia.

So, folks, what are your impressions, experiences, etc. with the XD 9, 40, & 45?

thomasanelson
09-11-2010, 9:08 AM
I had the service size in 9, 40 & 45. I sold the 9 and 40, not because I had any issues, but because I like Glock more than XD's. There was a bit of a learning curve at Springfield with the initial XD and the "rusting" issue. They have since changed the slide coating and I have not heard about any issues with the new versions. For me they were very reliable and accurate. I even liked the smaller grip size in comparison to the Glock. What I did not like was the requirement to buy parts from SA directly and very few options of aftermarket products. If funds were not an issue, I certainly would have kept my 9 & 40.

themailman
09-11-2010, 9:12 AM
I originally owned an XD9, it was a good pistol but nothing about it really stood out to me. It never burped in the 500rds i put through it. The trigger pull was heavy, rackig the slide was a PITA, and trying to drop a loaded mag was also quite difficult. But, it shot well. I no have a Glock 19 as my 9mm pistol and I like it alot more, but its grip is strange to me.

winnre
09-11-2010, 9:55 AM
They do not make the 45 in subcompact so I got the 40 instead. It has the kick of a 9mm and the SUB of subcompact makes this a desirable gun for me.

As far as being made in Croatia, I'd trust a gun from any country who has recently been in a war. The French and Swiss are not known for their guns. :>

ZombieTactics
09-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Mine (XD40) is solid as a rock. It's rumored to be the favorite pistol of Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch. Frontsight gives away jillions of them ... not a problem.

PatriotnMore
09-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Personally, I think it is fueled by the many Glock owners who want to believe that the Glock was the most successful poly handgun, has many aftermarket products made for it, you can buy factory parts, and they want to believe it is better than the XD.

I own the XD and never have had a problem, and most XD owners past and present didn't have problems either.

map
09-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I own an XD40 and have not had any problems during the first 350 rounds. I used to have a Glock 22 and I noticed that even if I aim at center mass, there would always be one bullet that never hit the target. My XD is way more reliable and accurate than my G22 was.

HCz
09-11-2010, 11:18 AM
The story of XD troubles are somewhat exaggerated, but not outright false.

XD had their share of troubles when they came out. Finish problem, locking block chipping, and sometimes slide locking up when something broke inside and have to be sent to Springfield Armory for repair.

For average users they seem to work fine and an average user probably will not see more than a few thousand rounds per year at most. However, when it comes to trials, they see far more than that and that seems to be the limit XD pistols reach. What I've heard from some inductry pros is that under more tough standards, XDs tend to fall short compared to others.

So it does mean that the XD is not as good as others, but at the same time should that mean an average shooter should ditch XD? My answer for now is no, as it seems to work well for average users. But if your life depends on your gun there are other choices to consider.

cineski
09-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I was at a gun shop recently and the owner told me Glocks last 3,000 rounds and they fail. He wanted to sell 1911's because they cost more and that's all he shoots. Unfortunately there's a huge percentage of the population that doesn't research and just show up and listen to these f'ing idiots who work at guns stores. Go to the range, test fire, get what works for YOU! Personally, I love the XD45 series. I just happen to like Glocks better. The XD9's left me shaking my head as I loved the XD45 so much. The 9's shoot like complete crap compared to any Glock I've picked up.

ZombieTactics
09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Ain't no nuthin wrong w/ Glocks, XDs, M&Ps ... awesome stuff. I own Glocks, XDs and SR9/SR9c ... I likes my Rugers best, I does, I does.

I've been shooting for a few decades, and I like living in a world with so many good quality handguns to choose from.

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Try searching the subject and you'll see large debates on it, many well known Firearm Instructors and Industry Professionals like Larry Vickers, DocGKR, Magpul Industries, Todd Green etc openly voice concern about their durability and reliability during both high volume training and agency testing.

And before someone calls me a Glock fanboy with an agenda, 3rd generation .40 cal Glocks has had their share of problems and I'd never own one again.

Legasat
09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm an M&P fan, but the XD's made my top 3 when I was choosing. I have no doubt that they are fine, reliable pistols. I have shot them and I liked them.

08duramax
09-11-2010, 11:46 AM
My first handgun was a service xd 45. I love the gun. I have had zero issues with it. It has ate just about everything I have fed it, and has never had a FTF or FTE. I loved it so much I bought the tactical xd 45 last year. Again, zero issues. I am now looking to get a xd 9 when funds are available.

The fud is being spread by glock lovers who claim nothing plastic can be as good as their glock. Glocks are good gun but do not fit my hands well. That is the reason I chose the xd. It is all personal preference. You will rarely find some whoactually owns a xd complain about it. There are some but I can show you just as many glock complaints. It is all personal preference. Good luck.

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 11:58 AM
My first handgun was a service xd 45. I love the gun. I have had zero issues with it. It has ate just about everything I have fed it, and has never had a FTF or FTE. I loved it so much I bought the tactical xd 45 last year. Again, zero issues. I am now looking to get a xd 9 when funds are available.

The fud is being spread by glock lovers who claim nothing plastic can be as good as their glock. Glocks are good gun but do not fit my hands well. That is the reason I chose the xd. It is all personal preference. You will rarely find some whoactually owns a xd complain about it. There are some but I can show you just as many glock complaints. It is all personal preference. Good luck.

What an emotional post with no facts behind it :eek:
Do I own a Glock? Yes What's my favorite handgun that I own right now? My M&P 9mm

Let's look at who I listed:
Larry Vickers who is one of the top 1911 smiths in the world and helped design the HK45 but does like 9mm Glocks.

DocGKR who loves the M&P platform with Apex parts and does like 9mm Glocks

Magpul's Chris and Travis went from 9mm Glocks and 1911's to M&P's and 1911's

Todd Green has not been a fan of 3rd gen Glocks but does theink the 4th Gen are ok (He did some of the consulting for the ATF on the $40 Million Glock and M&P deal btw) and prefers the HK P30, HK45 and M&P 9mm over Glocks.

ChrisToad
09-11-2010, 12:15 PM
I have an XD Subcompact in .40

It's never had one malfunction ever... which I CAN'T say for my Glock.

mif_slim
09-11-2010, 12:35 PM
xd doesn't have any issues. it's always fud. the cutter ones at least. it works, functions and shoots just like my glock so there's no complaint.
I also have more rounds thru my xd then my ar's combine.

mif_slim
09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
cutter = later.

auto correct is dumb sometimes.

Dubious_Beans
09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
My XD9 (service) has over 2000 rounds through it so far.
I've pushed at least 7 different brands and types of factory ammo through it, including FMJ and an assortment of JHP types.

About half of those 2000 rounds has been hand loads. Lots of 115, 124, and 147 JHP, and a lot of 125 grain Bear Creek "Coated Lead" bullets.

The XD has swallowed everything I've fed it with NO failures of any kind.

I also have an XD9sc. It only has about 400 rounds through it so far.
Same deal as the service model.... NO failures of any kind so far.

I wish the trigger on the XD's was a little nicer. It's not bad, but it could be better. I may have a trigger job done on one of them to see how I like it.

I like everything else about the XD's.

I certainly can't complain about the reliability yet. :D

sirgiles
09-11-2010, 1:12 PM
Larry Vickers who is one of the top 1911 smiths in the world and helped design the HK45 but does like 9mm Glocks.

this are his other viewpoints:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/71927-world-according-larry-vickers.html

back to topic, i have a xds' and xdms'. i've had no issues since i bought them. as for the cheaper price due to rumours, i'm not complaining.:)

as for the rust issue, please read this review as well.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462537&highlight=larry+vickers+glock

Blk04SR
09-11-2010, 1:21 PM
Its pretty much pick your poison. There are many different polymer pistols out there and all in different price ranges. Ive heard great things about the M&P's. HK is awsome, Glocks are good too. SAI XD's are good too, a lot of pistol for the money if you ask me. As mentioned in the other posts I have seen it first hand the rust problem, but if you take care of them it will be alright. Then I have seen a few XD-40's jam up real bad and break. They had to be sent back to SAI to get fixed. Remember Glocks to have had problems with their .40cal and reloads doing some Kabooms! Its all relative everyone will have different experiences with each different pistol. Over all its good band for the buck IMO.

Just my .02 cents

SIGman Freud
09-11-2010, 4:40 PM
Some good points, gentlemen.

I may wait on getting the XD just a bit longer (or buy a "like new" used in the future). I am now debating in my mind about saving up to get an FN 40 or HK USP 40. Ah, so many options......

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 5:19 PM
this are his other viewpoints:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/71927-world-according-larry-vickers.html

back to topic, i have a xds' and xdms'. i've had no issues since i bought them. as for the cheaper price due to rumours, i'm not complaining.:)

as for the rust issue, please read this review as well.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462537&highlight=larry+vickers+glock

I've read those long ago, I'm not the uninformed one in this thread lol

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 5:23 PM
Some good points, gentlemen.

I may wait on getting the XD just a bit longer (or buy a "like new" used in the future). I am now debating in my mind about saving up to get an FN 40 or HK USP 40. Ah, so many options......

Get an M&P and add some Apex work to it and you'll love it. BTW, why .40? It's 25% more expensive than 9mm with more recoil and similar balistics.

Maestro Pistolero
09-11-2010, 5:23 PM
If there is one thing that XDs are known for it's reliability. My XD45C has about 3K rounds with the only hiccup being wadcutter related, a known incompatibility. Except for that, it shoots like it's making popcorn.

KillZone45
09-11-2010, 5:24 PM
Lastly, I've heard 3 different gun store employees express FUD regarding these pistols QC specifically because they're made in Croatia.

Those gun store employees are idiots.

SIGman Freud
09-11-2010, 5:32 PM
Those gun store employees are idiots.

THank you! :D There are a lot of idiots in this world. :(

SIGman Freud
09-11-2010, 5:35 PM
Get an M&P and add some Apex work to it and you'll love it. BTW, why .40? It's 25% more expensive than 9mm with more recoil and similar balistics.

I have also considered the M&P pistols, but they're relatively new and expensive compared to their immediate competition (ie Glocks, Springfields, FN's, and until recently CZs).

Believe it or not, I actually don't mind the .40. I've gotten used to the snappiness. It's what makes shooting fun for me! :p True, a box of 50 costs some extra bread, though. :/

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 5:39 PM
I have also considered the M&P pistols, but they're relatively new and expensive compared to their immediate competition (ie Glocks, Springfields, FN's, and until recently CZs).

Believe it or not, I actually don't mind the .40. I've gotten used to the snappiness. It's what makes shooting fun for me! :p True, a box of 50 costs some extra bread, though. :/

They've been out long enough to get most teething problems out and are nearly on par with Glock 9mm's in durability and reliability. Like i said before, .40 is fine if it's issued to you and you're not buying the ammo. Try taking a 600 round a day class sometime and you'll wish you were paying for 9mm lol

zoglog
09-11-2010, 6:09 PM
got an xd9 last month. been great. good grip and easy to clean. not 1 ftf or fte out of 500 rnds

xxINKxx
09-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Im a happy XD9 owner. Ive had it for a few years so far. I shoot the piss out of it when I go to the desert. I try to rapid fire it as fast as I can all the time. Not a single malfunction yet. My Fiance loves shooting it too since it fits her nicely.

Only thing I can think of is since its a sub compact, its a tad bit small and my thumb hits the slide release when the mag empties and the slide closes. Thats my problem and not springfields.

I love the gun. Let the haters hate, they are missing out on a great gun thats priced good. I never see threads about any issues with them. The only negative things I ever read about the XD are from the die hard Glock fans posting about the stuff they dislike and that they are junk (if they are junk why doesnt anyone ever post problems they have with them) which is irrevelent and means nothing since its just an opinion and words from a guy whos biased torwards his brand of choice

mif_slim
09-12-2010, 6:13 AM
haha, there's nothing wrong with .40. I shoot it in 3 day classes and I use mines for ipsc/idpa. i roll my own so I don't worry about cost. those classes which doesn't allow home roll ammo, I don't take.

rusting xd comes from the HS2000. one of my xd40 were the 2nd year release batch and I've had no rust issues with it.

Oceanbob
09-12-2010, 6:45 AM
There is nothing better than a Glock 23 for all around personal protection.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=536849

cineski
09-12-2010, 7:30 AM
Blame all 1911 owners for this. Glock took over the world and 1911 owners got bitter, so they started treating Glock owners poorly, so Glock owners got bitter and are taking it out on the XDers :D

ZombieTactics
09-12-2010, 7:55 AM
Try searching the subject and you'll see large debates on it, many well known Firearm Instructors and Industry Professionals like Larry Vickers, DocGKR, Magpul Industries, Todd Green etc openly voice concern about their durability and reliability during both high volume training and agency testing.
It should be noted that other well-known instructors like Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch like the XD just fine. In Clint's case, it's his favorite handgun, although he uses Glocks as well.
M6xIR8Y5hu4

Frontsight has issued thousands of them as membership premiums with nary a prob to speak of. It's not as though they couldn't have chosen some other pistol, y'know? They have a rental fleet of XD9 and XD40 ... used in classes where hundreds/thousands of rounds are shot per week. That's a larger rental fleet and higher volume of use than any other school in existence.

Glocks are awesome too. I know of more than one person doing his own "I'm not going to clean it ... and I'll see how long it takes before it fails" test.

Everything I hear about M&P says they are great.

My Ruger SR9 and SR9c are the best kept secrets in the industry, as far as I am concerned (and I own Glock and XD as well)

luciferkang
09-12-2010, 9:14 PM
i have a springfield xd40, it was my first pistol. i rented an xd9 tactical at a range and fell in love. it was accurate as hell, even for a first time shooter (at the time). but i could not afford it so i just went with the xd40. i assumed it would handle as well as the 9 and i was right. i have had my way with glocks too, honestly IMHO, xd is way better. more accurate and less kick. i have noticed that xd prices are really low. but this is how i see it, while everybody is buying up glocks and sigs. they are leaving plenty of xds for me haha. im going to get a sig as my next pistol though, it blows away the glock and xd.

high_lander
09-12-2010, 9:31 PM
After 4000+ rounds through my XD40, and not ONE FTE or FTF...would I trust my life to it? Absolutely. One of my EDC's here in TX.

08duramax
09-13-2010, 3:47 AM
There was no emotion behind that post. I could care less what others say about a gun I own. And yes those individuals are very well respected, but I don't need other people telling me what guns are "good" and which are not. I have over 15,000 rounds through my xd45 service and have taken numerous multi day classes with it and have had zero issues. And I meant most of the fud being spread in the gun stores is by glock lovers. Again I could care less. I had an instructor in one of my classes tell me my xd was crap. I then continued to out shoot him for the rest of the day. Then I got to laugh when he struggled through 3 separate malfunctions with his glock. I just smiled. What an emotional post with no facts behind it :eek:
Do I own a Glock? Yes What's my favorite handgun that I own right now? My M&P 9mm

Let's look at who I listed:

DocGKR who loves the M&P platform with Apex parts and does like 9mm Glocks

Magpul's Chris and Travis went from 9mm Glocks and 1911's to M&P's and 1911's

Todd Green has not been a fan of 3rd gen Glocks but does theink the 4th Gen are ok (He did some of the consulting for the ATF on the $40 Million Glock and M&P deal btw) and prefers the HK P30, HK45 and M&P 9mm over Glocks.

evidens83
09-13-2010, 7:37 AM
I've owned 3 XDs and must admit they are excellent pistols. I just liked other pistols more though..

viet4lifeOC
09-13-2010, 9:49 AM
Personally, up to this point..I HATE my XD9 tactical. I got it new 3 months ago..put some TFOs by a gunsmith..AND I simply hate the 6 O'clock sight.

Last night--I dremeled the grip SOME MORE :) to get a small grip and to be able to hit the mag release without adjusting my grip and hand..and two small (2mm or less) spots shows thru the magwell. I plan to use acrylic to cover the holes up and stipple the grip again.
It's not going to affect function will it?

XD9JEN
09-13-2010, 9:51 AM
I have had no issues with mine and quite enjoy shooting it:)

cineski
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd really hate to see what your gun looks like.

Personally, up to this point..I HATE my XD9 tactical. I got it new 3 months ago..put some TFOs by a gunsmith..AND I simply hate the 6 O'clock sight.

Last night--I dremeled the grip SOME MORE :) to get a small grip and to be able to hit the mag release without adjusting my grip and hand..and two small (2mm or less) spots shows thru the magwell. I plan to use acrylic to cover the holes up and stipple the grip again.

viet4lifeOC
09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
I'd really hate to see what your gun looks like.

:)..actually it looks pretty good with the customized stippling. I had a couple of guys ask if they could shoot my gun.

EdCo
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
It's almost a year since I bought my xd9 and put 2500 rounds through it with no problems:thumbsup:

wsmc27
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I like the XD40 and XD9 we've rented.

So much so I am gonna go pick up our new 4" XD9 right now. :D

Hope our 30+ year old 1911's will be okay with their new friend in the safe...

;)

fwiw, several friends I've spoke with have had various XD's and shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru them, and say..."no probs" and they really like their pistols.

XD Doubt? :eek:

Not here. :)

luciferkang
09-13-2010, 9:11 PM

put it back into stock mode then maybe i'll give it a nice home haha.

MrBrent
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I have an XD 9 and it is a fine pistol. Shoots any ammo I feed it and I trust it.

zfields
09-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Solid Pistol.

As long as you take care of it once in a while, keep the crap out of the striker channel (like any striker fire gun) will hold up fine.

smittty
09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
XD's are awesome guns and I really like the 5" tactical models. I have shot many of them and I have nothing but good experiences with them.

Smitty

Ultimate
09-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I shot the XD 40 tactical at the range the other day. Filthy..... shot great. Good trigger, very comfortable for my smaller hands. Considering I haven't shot in a long time I did great with it, hitting quite a few bulls eyes.

Then I went on to shoot my Sig p229 .40 and I didn't do anywhere near as well. That is a good sign to me for the XD. The only other gun I've shot that felt easier to shoot than my sig was a 1911.

I return the XD and the clerk behind the counter tells me. Wow this thing is filthy, time to clean it. Good thing this baby is like a glock and takes thousands and thousands of rounds in between cleanings.

My verdict is the XD rocks! Not because of what the clerk said but because it shoots great. If only they made the XD service in 9mm with a slightly reduced grip i'd be salivating over it as we speak.

scoot64
09-13-2010, 11:22 PM
I like my XD45, never have had any problems with it. That being said though my next pistol will probably be a 1911, I just like the way they feel.

zfields
09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Im really inbetween getting a XD 9mm tactical to complment my .45 compact, or a CZ 75.

Its 2 completly diffrent pistols, but both have aspects i like.

Old4eyes
09-14-2010, 8:06 AM

Why on earth did you buy an XD in the first place? The stock sights were 6 0'clock and TFO's were not going to change that. If the grip didn't fit your hand, then it wasn't the gun for you. I am not bashing the XD, quite the opposite - I have 4 of them. It just seems that the gun was not the one for you. I don't like the feel of the Glock, but they are great guns, just not for me.

SixPointEight
09-14-2010, 8:21 AM
I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread yet. I love my XD40. I only have about 500 rounds through mine, but it works great. Limp-wristed, light loads, dirt, it functions fine.

I do believe I saw Shenaniguns post something complementary about the XD. I wonder if he's feeling okay? :D

Sounds like you need the M&P with the small backstrap. It shouldn't affect function, but it murdered resale value. I'd have tried to trade the gun before doing anything drastic like that. I'll buy your TFO's though

MrEd
09-14-2010, 8:24 AM
They do not make the 45 in subcompact so I got the 40 instead. It has the kick of a 9mm and the SUB of subcompact makes this a desirable gun for me.

As far as being made in Croatia, I'd trust a gun from any country who has recently been in a war. The French and Swiss are not known for their guns. :>

Actually the Swiss are famous for their guns , Sig 551/552 , Sig Sauer was made in Switzerland as the name of the company pretty much states .
SIG = Schweizerische Industrie Gesellschaft

acolytes
09-14-2010, 8:50 AM
Hi all,

Anyone understand why there is doubt coming from people, incl. gun shop employees, regarding the reliability and durability of the XD pistols? I have noticed the lower prices for the XD9 and 45. Was there an overabundance of these pistols made? I also see more of them in the used guns sections, online and in gun stores. Lastly, I've heard 3 different gun store employees express FUD regarding these pistols QC specifically because they're made in Croatia.

So, folks, what are your impressions, experiences, etc. with the XD 9, 40, & 45?

They can bad mouth and spread all the fud they want if it will drive the prices down, so I can buy more XD's. :chris:

GP3
09-14-2010, 8:58 AM
If you field strip the XD (in my case it was a 45), and reinstall the guide-rod incorrectly/crooked, their is an issue where the slide will not go completely forward after reinstalling the slide. It will jam up. A rubber mallet, or soft, sturdy work bench will be needed to free the slide up. Is it a problem? It's debatable. I chalk it up to user-error.

I love my XD. Not one FTE/FTF.

stitchnicklas
09-14-2010, 10:19 AM
i have a xd45 full frame,500+rds down the tube. not a single ftf/fte,never had a single problem other then 45acp ammo prices,i love my xd but have been shooting my sigs lately
9mm,40sw,357sig.due to ammo prices......yeah i know 357sig cost more then 45acp but i picked up some reloads for 100rds for 30bucks ...

xd's are solid guns and reliable.

viet4lifeOC
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Why on earth did you buy an XD in the first place? The stock sights were 6 0'clock and TFO's were not going to change that. If the grip didn't fit your hand, then it wasn't the gun for you. I am not bashing the XD, quite the opposite - I have 4 of them. It just seems that the gun was not the one for you. I don't like the feel of the Glock, but they are great guns, just not for me.

I didnt realize they were 6 O'clock sights until I actually read the manual after buying it.

Grip wise..I like the standard one, but after reading an article on the XD9 tactical customized by Bar-Sto...the author had the grip circumference reduced and stippled.

Being new--I said what the hell...it's only $500 gun...I dremeled it and stippled it myself. I love the way it points now and the grip is more customized to my hand. Feels a lot more like a 1911 now.

Probably call up the local gunsmith and ask if it's possible to change the sights from 6 O'clock to POA/POI.

I did shoot the XD rentals at the range. Being new--I thought hitting a 6-8 inch target was decent.

But now--after 6 months of practicing at the range..I have a hard time hitting 1-2" groups at 7 yards (which I can do with my 3 Sigs and 1911).

It's not the gun..It's me not WANTing to learn to use the 6 O'clock..just prefer the POI/POA like my other guns. Just seems more instictive.

zfields
09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Hrm. Personaly like like the 6o'clock aim. All personal preferance.

I'm deffintly more accurate with a sig 9 or 1911, but I think its more to do with the poly compact body and .45 kick

biloutkast
09-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I've shot the XD9 and fell in love with it.

Here's a good review/test on a XD9
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

theneko
09-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I really wanted that XDM but when I got it I wasn't that thrilled. Nothing wrong with it but I like my M&P and P30 better.

...I Have to agree with Shenaniguns--

>> Do I own a Glock? Yes What's my favorite handgun that I own right now? My M&P 9mm

xd45GAP
09-14-2010, 9:49 PM
i shot alot of rounds through my xd and i never had any issues

Noah3683
09-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Never any issues with any of mine

GridSkillz
09-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I own an XD9 tactical, and I have had no problems (no FTF/FTE) with it. Shot more than 2000 rounds through it and ate everything I fed it, including 147gr Golden Sabers.

Gryff
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM
For average users they seem to work fine and an average user probably will not see more than a few thousand rounds per year at most. However, when it comes to trials, they see far more than that and that seems to be the limit XD pistols reach. What I've heard from some inductry pros is that under more tough standards, XDs tend to fall short compared to others.

Link?

I've not heard complaints about the XD's reliability within the firearms industry. There are trainers who don't like them, but there are trainers that do.

If you want a first-hand account, I have three XDs. Two XD9's that I use in competition, and an XD45 that I use for both home defense and an occasional competition. Between the three, I have more than 20,000 rounds through them. I have a total of six failures (split evenly between FTEs and FTFs). That's a .03% failure rate.

I have no problem trusting my life to the platform. It isn't the "perfect gun" (I've yet to find one that is), but it's an excellent choice if you enjoy shooting them.

jaydog
09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I agree with the poster. My FIL will strongly disagree, but I feel that the glock is more proven, works bette for (ME), and the price is right. My group sizing with the Glock 34 was as good as any XD or HK for that matter. And, I second his recommendation re: aftermarket accessories.

I had the service size in 9, 40 & 45. I sold the 9 and 40, not because I had any issues, but because I like Glock more than XD's. There was a bit of a learning curve at Springfield with the initial XD and the "rusting" issue. They have since changed the slide coating and I have not heard about any issues with the new versions. For me they were very reliable and accurate. I even liked the smaller grip size in comparison to the Glock. What I did not like was the requirement to buy parts from SA directly and very few options of aftermarket products. If funds were not an issue, I certainly would have kept my 9 & 40.

Gryff
09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
There is nothing better than a Glock 23 for all around personal protection.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=536849

As an absolute statement, that is pretty ignorant. Glocks are great, but they have their share of issues. The best defense gun is the one that is reliable and works the best for the shooter. For me, that definitely isn't the Glock.

It should be noted that other well-known instructors like Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch like the XD just fine. In Clint's case, it's his favorite handgun, although he uses Glocks as well.

It's not Clint's favorite handgun. That is actually a toss-up between the 1911 and S&W revolvers. But the XD45 is Clint's favorite plastic gun.

zoglog
09-15-2010, 12:41 AM
My cat loves the XD9, and I trust him with my life

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs187.ash2/45013_424523849141_533879141_5039699_2556631_n.jpg

wsmc27
09-15-2010, 5:23 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs187.ash2/45013_424523849141_533879141_5039699_2556631_n.jpg

^^^ I will leave my XD with the cat when I'm not home.

;)

:smilielol5:

Dubious_Beans
09-15-2010, 6:37 PM
Yep, my cat loves the XD9 too.
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/misc/cat_security.jpg

CALATRAVA
10-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Yep, my cat loves the XD9 too.
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/misc/cat_security.jpg

Just had to say it...this cracked me up. thanks!:D

fullrearview
10-22-2010, 12:57 AM
Love my XDM 9mm 3.8.....Zero issues thus far!

Sinister_1
10-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I may be a bit biased as the only gun I own is an XD, but I have not had a single issue with it, well, other that it being a .45 and ammo is pricey :)

badmonkey
10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
The French and Swiss are not known for their guns. :>

uh, sig sauer is a Swiss company with German distribution. and of course the swiss would make great guns they make great watches.

i like my XD9sc. a little big for what is a SC gun, but it's a good shooter.

Sinister_1
10-22-2010, 10:10 AM
They can bad mouth and spread all the fud they want if it will drive the prices down, so I can buy more XD's. :chris:

+100

dlouie87
10-22-2010, 10:44 AM
800+ rounds in my xd9... still running strong.

jeep7081
10-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Just ordered mine. When was that changed?

SixPointEight
10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Just ordered mine. When was that changed?

Did you order at a shop? A factory new gun? You have the new finish.

Joe
10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/sk8inp/gunguy.jpg

Rekrab
10-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Silly zoglog, that's not a cat, that's daddy!

Also, it cracks me up when I hear gun shop guys bashing foreign made guns.

Wildeman_13
10-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I have had my XD .40 for going on 2 years now. 2000+ rounds through it and it eats everyting from Hydro-shocks up to 180gr FMJs. The only issue I had was a tight recoil spring until I ran about 300-500 rounds through it. Now it is a dream. No issues with racking the slide or rust. My XD is tempermental about your grip and will let you know when you limp wrist it. Other than that I love it.

I will mention one issue with aftermarket ProMags and hollow points. They do not mix well. Most of my Fail2Feed issues are due to these mags. I have relegated them to range duty only with non-hollow points.

jrara
10-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I had an XD 9. It was an ok gun.

Two things annoyed me.

1. Had to activate the grip safety to rack the slide.
2. I couldn't hit anything I wanted using either the POA or 6 O'clock sighting.

Did as much research on how to shoot it and consulted with some range masters but no luck.

Went to shoot glocks and sigs and I did better

Guess it wasn't for me.

hefedehefe
10-22-2010, 1:17 PM
I love my XD40. I was going to get a 9mm for a second gun , but then just inserted a silver lake drop in barrel and xd9 mag and walla :euro:

all torque
10-22-2010, 5:27 PM
I love my XD's. I have 1000+ rounds on my .45 and over 500 on the .40 with no issues or FTF.

Old4eyes
10-22-2010, 5:40 PM
.... My XD is tempermental about your grip and will let you know when you limp wrist it. Other than that I love it.

That's a bit surprising to my household. My wife is queen of the limp wrist but the XD's are one platform she doesn't have the problem. She has shot the XD9 service some, but not a lot because she can't rack it. She does shoot the Tactical 9mm and Tactical 45 without limp wrist issues and can rack those models.

BroncoBob
10-22-2010, 6:00 PM
And the debate continues....

Rick Cain
10-22-2010, 6:11 PM
Why would anyone think a good product couldnt be made in Croatia ? I lived there for 1 year and its as modern and sophistictad as any country in the world. Italy is world renowned for their quality and Croatia and Italy are neighboors and ethnically similiar in many areas.

I own a SA Xd in 9mm and I like it. Wasnt very accurate at first but I got used to it and learned what it likes. Oh yeah, the slide is kinda tight as many people have noted.

Personally my next gun will most likely be a SW .40 but thats just because I like to mix it up.

p1choco
10-22-2010, 6:49 PM
Overall the XD I used to own was ok. It got better with mods. It pointed great in my hands, and never had any failures with any of the amo I fed it. But the stock trigger is horrible. Modified, it gets a LOT better. I like my single action triggers.

viet4lifeOC
10-22-2010, 9:52 PM
I had an XD 9. It was an ok gun.

Two things annoyed me.

1. Had to activate the grip safety to rack the slide.
2. I couldn't hit anything I wanted using either the POA or 6 O'clock sighting.

Did as much research on how to shoot it and consulted with some range masters but no luck.

Went to shoot glocks and sigs and I did better

Guess it wasn't for me.

hahaha..I thought I was the only one having a hard time shooting 6 O'clock. I also bought an XD 9 5" tactical. Paid a gunsmith to install TFOs. Now it just collects dust after putting only around 500 rounds down the pipe.

Can't even miss the bulls-eye consistently..it's just all over the place.

CenterX
10-22-2010, 9:59 PM
The French and Swiss are not known for their guns. :>

Are you sure?

Type: Single Action
Chamber: 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum, 7.65x19mm Parabellum, .22LR (all interchangeable)
Weight unloaded: 900 g
Length: 215 mm
Barrel length: 120 mm (150 mm in P-210-7)
Capacity: 8 rounds

The SIG P210 pistol was born from Swiss Army trials for a new military pistol, which were conducted between 1943 and 1947. SIG based its pistols on patents of Charles Petter, bought from France during the late 1930s. Early SIG pistols displayed the clear influence of Petter designs, being copied from his French Mle.1935 pistol. In the search for an ideal military pistol both W+F (State owned arsenal in Bern) and SIG also tried both single-stack and double-stack magazine designs. Interestingly enough, the Swiss army found thick-gripped pistols with double-stack magazines to be less accurate, due to their less comfortable grip; so only single-stack designs competed in the last stage. In the final chase between the W+F 47 and SIG S.P. 47/8 the latter won the trials, and in 1949 it was officially adopted as Selbstladepistole SP/49 (or Pistole 49 for short). Also known as the “Neuhausen” (after the city where pistols were made), the S.P. 47/8 (before adoption of the P210 trade mark in 1957) or under its current commercial designation of SIG P210, this pistol quickly earned the distinction of being the most accurate and most expensive military pistol ever made. Also adopted by the army of Denmark, as well as the West German Border police (BSG - Bundesgrentzschutz) and some Swiss police units, this pistol was later converted with a series of sport modifications, and a great many shooting matches were (and still are) won with this gem of workmanship.

As for the XD- I've heard nothing negative. Don't own one myself, but the folks I know that do don't complain.....

inbox485
10-23-2010, 4:24 PM
I have an XD45. I have tried about every bad shooter habit I know to induce a failure without faking one and have failed. I've had it in the rain and in a sweaty holster numerous times. I have had spots of rust on the mag release and on the ends of a couple dowel pins near the grip on the side that faces my body when holstered. That could have been prevented with dabs of oil I have since put on. Other corrosion has not happened. The only issues beyond that have been reports of the chamber and cocked pin indicators breaking during rough use, but in all cases I've read the function of the gun was not impaired. The trigger reset is reportedly longer than a Glock. That is about the only legitimate comparative deficit. I did like the feel of the M&P a bit better, but I'm partial to the grip safety on the XD. The trigger of the XD can be modified by a variety of drop in replacements. The claims of the grip safety being touchy are pure bull. My grip safety only needs to be depressed about half way. Any even semi reasonable grip will deactivate it reliably.

skylovia
10-23-2010, 5:55 PM
XDs and Glocks are both good guns. But the XD fits my hand right. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Uncle Scary
10-23-2010, 9:23 PM
I have a service XD45. I like the grip angle and the trigger better than the Glock 19. It is utterly 100% reliable and hits what I aim at.