PDA

View Full Version : What is the disconnect w/ manufacturers not selling pistol uppers?

cineski
09-11-2010, 6:08 AM
It's rampant. At least on CalGuns. People want to shoot multiple calibers through the same gun. I'm a Glock person so I'll keep this with Glock but most manufacturers can fit the bill on this. Why won't they sell entire slide assemblies to customers? At one point, I can understand their thought of "Eh, they want another caliber, they'll have to buy another gun. More money for us." Or is it? Seems like there'd be more money being spent on complete uppers than people sitting through this crap economy wanting another pistol caliber but not buying one. I'd love a 21 slide for my 20. Yes I can buy a conversion barrel, but I don't trust the reliability of this. I would have bought a G23 instead of 19 and would have ended up spending more money on another upper and mags. Possibly for 2-3 more calibers.

So what is it? A legal issue? Glock afraid someone will assemble the pistol incorrectly and blow their hand off? Glock keeps those crappy target triggers in their 19's because of import issues while putting the smooth trigger in their 17. Manufacturers are prone to doing dumb things like this so it isn't beyond my imagination they'd allow legal fears to rule their actions. Or do they think they'll make more money by not doing this? They're already losing out to people buying uppers from Lone Wolf and then people who just buy a conversion barrel (which I simply won't do due to reliability issues). Thoughts?

-hanko
09-11-2010, 6:48 AM
Thoughts?
Only one...why don't you call Glock and ask??

-hanko

Quiet
09-11-2010, 6:55 AM
In parts of the EU, the slide/barrel is the regulated part and not the frame/reciever.

Some firearm manufacturers are based out of the EU and they have to comply with their laws, as well as laws in the USA.

It's the reason why manufacturers based in the EU engrave serial numbers on the frame, slide and barrel.

Günter
09-11-2010, 7:05 AM
In parts of the EU, the slide/barrel is the regulated part and not the frame/reciever.

Some firearm manufacturers are based out of the EU and they have to comply with their laws, as well as laws in the USA.

It's the reason why manufacturers based in the EU engrave serial numbers on the frame, slide and barrel.

^ This :yes:

SJgunguy24
09-11-2010, 8:08 AM
Some guns have different dimensions for different calibers. WHile the external maybe the same the internals will be a little different and that make the complete upper swap a liability.
Now as to the Glock situation. Not sure why they don't sell the uppers. In your situation a 21 barrel won't work with a G20. The hole in the slide it too small and the ejector IIRC sits over too far. You would need a complete upper and ejector swap to ensure 100% reliability. Also the 1 st gen G17 will not handle the recoil of the other calibers that are made for that frame. Glock went to 3 pins because the locking block pin was getting deformed by the 9mm's recoil. The 40 cal and 357 sig both have much more recoil and would destroy those older frames.
I can understand why they wouldn't want to send some yahoo who may not have done his research a complete upper that could be installed on an old 2 pin gun.

TKM
09-11-2010, 8:31 AM
You can buy all the uppers you want.

It's a little thing called aftermarket. You can even build them yourself, just like ARs.

cineski
09-11-2010, 8:32 AM
Probably because I'm not looking for a corporate answer :D

Only one...why don't you call Glock and ask??

-hanko