PDA

View Full Version : Possible to use magnifier with Micro red dot sight?

californialawsucks
09-11-2010, 4:05 AM
Would it be possible to use a magnifier with a micro red dot sight( such as the Aimpoint T1 or Primary Arms series of micro sights) in terms of them lining up etc... and do you have any recommendations of a magnifier which would be a viable option on a budget build?( under $100 and it can be a uncommon manufacturer)

Thanks

nagorb
09-11-2010, 4:28 AM
the PA mag should work wit a micro dot.

californialawsucks
09-11-2010, 5:41 PM
I just emailed them to ask how I would go about doing it. I think the red dot may need a riser in order to match up the sight picture with that of the magnifier.

barbasol
09-11-2010, 6:58 PM
They have magnifiers on the primary arms website. They are amazing to deal with and good quality/price. They will help you get exactly what you need, just call or email. I just got the 1-4 scope to put on my ar build. Get my lower tomorrow!! Woo hoo

CHS
09-11-2010, 7:44 PM
Will it work? Yes.
Pointless? Yes.

nagorb
09-11-2010, 8:08 PM
Will it work? Yes.
Pointless? Yes.

Why is it pointless?

C_1
09-11-2010, 9:21 PM
A magnifier and a micro red dot will work together. If you want inexpensive, and you dont plan on kicking any doors, just some range time, then the Primary Arms micro dot and magnifier fits the bill.

I guess he's saying its pointless because the whole point of the micro red dot, is small and lightweight; adding a magnifier kinda defeats that purpose. Or I could be wrong. Either way, its your rifle, and do as you please. If you dont like it or if it doesnt work for you, sell it..

SuperSet
09-11-2010, 9:30 PM
A few things to keep in mind:

1. Assuming that you use a 1/3 lower cowitness mount for your Micro and you'll stick with LaRue mounts, you'll need to use the Tall version of the LT-649 (T). This will ensure that your magnifier and Micro stay in vertical alignment.

2. Even though there are many clone magnifiers out now, the only one I can recommend is the VMX3 due to its decent eye relief. It's still not as good as the authentic AP magnifier but usable. All the other ones I've tried are too short to use.

3. Magnifiying an AimPoint looks blotchy to me. Try to look through one first before buying.

Good luck.

campperrykid
09-12-2010, 12:00 PM
The LaRue product was basically a very high quality RPG sight mounted in a quick detach , swing out mount . We have two of these at our house and they work great. More info and pic's are here:

www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17704&highlight=Hensoldt

Now the bad news: The Po'boys disappeared from the retail market around the time that the A-stan surge started.
The good news is that they still show up for sale ( second-hand ) at quality sites such as lightfighter and M4 carbine. Run searches for Po'boy and Hensoldt.

Might not hurt to check out the Vickers Tactical site as well . Mr. Vickers is worthy of attention. I tend to pay attention to what he says.

ArkinDomino
09-12-2010, 1:57 PM
I tried out my buddies eotech+magnifier combo and I instantly knew I would never do that. If I want magnification a scope cannot be beat.

californialawsucks
09-12-2010, 4:24 PM
What was it that you didn't like?

West9319
09-12-2010, 4:35 PM
Will it work? Yes.
Pointless? Yes.

Agreed

CHS
09-12-2010, 5:38 PM
Why is it pointless?

Any optic coupled with a separate magnifier reduces the quality of your image, gives you a poor reticle compared to a scope, usually doubles the cost of your optic, putting it into regular scope territory, and typically comes out as a HEAVIER combo than just getting a scope to begin with.

Go with a dedicated optic with magnification, or go with a dedicated reflex sight. Don't try to combine the two.

If you REALLY want to shoot with both kinds of optics, get quality quick-release mounts like Larue and you can switch between them without losing zero (or damn close).

The entire point of a micro red dot is to have a very light and fast gun/optic combo. So adding a magnifier completely ruins the point. You've lost the weight savings and you've lost all your speed.

CoyoteHunter555
09-12-2010, 6:54 PM
Any optic coupled with a separate magnifier reduces the quality of your image, gives you a poor reticle compared to a scope, usually doubles the cost of your optic, putting it into regular scope territory, and typically comes out as a HEAVIER combo than just getting a scope to begin with.

Go with a dedicated optic with magnification, or go with a dedicated reflex sight. Don't try to combine the two.

If you REALLY want to shoot with both kinds of optics, get quality quick-release mounts like Larue and you can switch between them without losing zero (or damn close).

The entire point of a micro red dot is to have a very light and fast gun/optic combo. So adding a magnifier completely ruins the point. You've lost the weight savings and you've lost all your speed.

True that. Great points. If you like, do go with the QD mount for your magnifier. That will still be much lighter than say, a full sized Eotech + magnifier, which you see all the time. Me, I would go with a scope OR a reflex, but a QD would help better combine the 2

NiteQwill
09-12-2010, 6:56 PM
Have you looked into a Trijicon accupoint? Best of both worlds.

Don29palms
09-12-2010, 7:00 PM
I use a Sightmark 7x magnifier behind an EOTech 517 and it works great for me. I personally like it much better than a scope. That's just me though.

CHS
09-12-2010, 7:42 PM
I use a Sightmark 7x magnifier behind an EOTech 517 and it works great for me. I personally like it much better than a scope. That's just me though.

Judging by what looks like a Yankee Hill forearm, you must love extra heavy carbines :)

californialawsucks
09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Have you looked into a Trijicon accupoint? Best of both worlds.

I just looked it up and its about $500 out of my price range. This would be going on a Saiga .223 so I prefer to keep the optic price under $200-250.

campperrykid
09-13-2010, 4:37 AM
I just looked it up and its about $500 out of my price range. This would be going on a Saiga .223 so I prefer to keep the optic price under $200-250.

It would be very , very tough to find a good used RDS/ magnifier ( with mounts ) combination for an AR for that kind of money.
It doesn't really matter because mounting a rig like that on a Saiga or an AK would be a nightmare.

A used Aimpoint C3 on a second hand Ultimak could work well on an AK , but I have zero experience with that combination on Saigas.
Again , it doesn't matter because the budget seems to be below the fair market value of the C3 with Ultimak.

Out of time.

OutlawDon
09-13-2010, 8:07 AM
My choice would be an offset mount with the micro red dot while running a scope. Heavier, but still fast and best of both worlds.

Many sweet choices and setups...

http://i54.tinypic.com/6pugrl.jpg

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/LT696ACOGQDMountCombo/myalbum/p6198132.jpg

http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/AimpointMicroT-1withLT-724AngledQDmountCombo500-00/myalbum/p9100858.jpg

http://album.weaponevolution.com/SHOT/IMG_0778%201028%20WEVO.jpg

http://www.valkyrietactical.com/images/kac20654-1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/jbremount/maxweo.jpg

californialawsucks
09-13-2010, 1:07 PM
How about this one?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=643450

I know some Ncstar stuff is lower quality, but I have seen some decent reviews for this setup. Also, it would be mounted on a quick detach side-mount for the Saiga.

Don29palms
09-13-2010, 3:19 PM
I had an Ncstar scope given to me and I should have charged him $10 to take it.
How about this with a 3x magnifier for $178? (http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=299&categoryId=128)

wash
09-13-2010, 4:11 PM
You should look at a Weaver Classic, Nikon M223 or Leupold MkAR low power variable.

I got a Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x26 with illuminated reticle and a CAA DVSR mount for about $330 total a while ago.

It's around the same weight as a red dot/magnifier combo with better optics and almost as fast as a pure red dot. It's not in a QD mount but I didn't want to spend the extra $200 at the time.

The Classic Extremes have all dried up but there are some decent low power variables at OK prices.