PDA

View Full Version : Where you buy a k-31

hdcd
05-16-2006, 3:52 PM
I've got my C&R and get the rags from SOG and Century Arms..A few months (6 or so..) back they had the k-31's. Now I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know who's selling the k-31s? Thanks.

Scotto
05-16-2006, 3:57 PM
aimsurplus.com

sv_sniper
05-16-2006, 3:58 PM
Check this link (http://www.geocities.com/sv_sniper_2004/Curio_Relic.html). Hope this helps.:)

hdcd
05-16-2006, 4:02 PM
Sweet! Thanks..

stevie
05-16-2006, 4:06 PM
If you have a problem finding a nice one, i have a few be willing to let go.

icormba
05-16-2006, 6:29 PM
I just got a flyer from Samco today, theirs look pretty good! and they don't have the large billboard marking like the Century imports (AIM, SOG, and whoever else buys from CAI).

footdoc
05-16-2006, 8:48 PM
Get them while they are still available from a few remaining dealers.
Samco has some... But Samco's customer service is not always the best and also takes the longest (2+ weeks) to delivery your purchase. Although, I have heard that many received K31s in good to very good conditions from Samco.

FGS Inc. also carries K31, and you get better service.

MCS also has some.

Or, if you like, check our trader boards here and at www.gunboards.com to see if someone is selling. You'll usually find a few for sale each week.

Scotto
05-16-2006, 9:49 PM
theres a whole mess of them on gunbroker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Browse.asp?Cat=2323

JesseXXX
05-20-2006, 9:14 PM
I got one about a month ago in GREAT shape... they're suppose to be the "rolexs" in weapons when it comes to accuracy.... I love mine... Go to Big 5 Sporting Goods... they usally have them... along with 8mm rifles... get your ammo from ammunitionstore.com because the K31 swiss sized bullets (7.5X55) are EXPENSIVE and hard to find...

Jesse!

jdberger
05-20-2006, 9:42 PM
I just got a flyer from Samco today, theirs look pretty good! and they don't have the large billboard marking like the Century imports (AIM, SOG, and whoever else buys from CAI).

I'm totally unfamiliar with these rifles but I only hear good things about them.

What "Billboard marking"?

What should I look for?
What should I expect to pay?
What is the premium for matching numbers?
Is there a premium for walnut stocks?
What are the variations in the rifle and which are the most desireable?

I realize that all of these questions could probably be resolved by perusing a K31 forum (there has to be one out there), but I have a limited amount of time and prefer to tap the endless knowledge of fellow CalGunners...:D

stevie
05-21-2006, 4:51 AM
Bill board marking - Century now uses a dot matrix looking import marking that is usually put on the side of the receiver. Most do not like that very visable print on the receiver.

Most of these rifles will be with matching bolt. The worst part of these rifles are usually the stock. The lower butt area is the worst, look for a good one with nice finish.

C&R holders can usually find these from 90.00 to upwards of 200.00. The earlier imports of a couple years ago seem to have been in beter condition, but were costing more than the current crop.

Most will charge 10.00 - 20.00 handpick fee for a walnut stock.

My opinion only

jdberger
05-21-2006, 4:49 PM
Cool. Thanks.

ocabj
05-21-2006, 6:45 PM
I bought two K-31s from AIM back when they still had the barrel import markings instead of the receiver import marks. I haven't bought a K31 since then.

I've seen quite a few "Big 5" purchased receiver marked K31s and on average, they look about the same as the average barrel import marked K31s.

There was a bit of a buzz on the C&R forums when AIM got their first batch of the received import marked K31s because one guy (at least one) posted pics of a horrible K31 he received from AIM. It was a total dog. Very little bluing. Stock beat to Hell all over. Rust. I think that one story started most of the wildfire word of mouth about how bad the new batch of K31s are.

If I were going to order another K31 from a milsurp dealer, I'd probably risk it with AIM. I've ordered from them several times and haven't been disappointed. Someone also mentioned Allan's Armory. If I were really intent on getting a good, honest K31, I'd pay the extra money and go with AA.

slowjonn
05-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I got mine from a guy on gunbroker Carl Wolters. He uses cwolter as his screen name. It was about $140. He is a great guy to deal with and has a lot of knowledge on the K31's. I like the auctions better because you can see exactly what you are getting. Mine rocks! HTH

bajaja
05-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I got one from samco little more than a month ago. Their customer service was fine and the gun came in very nice shape.

Now, if I could find an reasonable diopter...

rorschach
07-26-2006, 12:51 AM
OK Im prolly gonna order one of these from Samco, but is it worth it to pay the extra few bucks for hand picked and walnut stocks??

stevie
07-26-2006, 6:45 AM
The walnut stocks usually demand a premium. I have both types of wood, both nice. Just depends on what you want. The handpick fee is a toss up, some seem to charge the fee and you still may not get a good rifle. Not sure about Samco handpicks.. Always worth a try.

-hanko
07-26-2006, 8:08 AM
they're suppose to be the "rolexs" in weapons when it comes to accuracy....

Jesse!

...I'd say a Swede instead, based on my rifles.;)

-hanko

-hanko
07-26-2006, 8:09 AM
I've got my C&R and get the rags from SOG and Century Arms..A few months (6 or so..) back they had the k-31's. Now I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know who's selling the k-31s? Thanks.
For a shooter, I'd try Samco or AIM or any of the usual suspects. For a pretty gun in better shape, try Empire Arms. If they're out of them, get yourself on their 'searching for' list...definitely worth the wait.

-hanko

phish
07-26-2006, 8:34 AM
I got my K31 through AIM. It is as described in previous posts: bottom of the stock by the buttplate is pretty funky, but the overall condition of the rifle is great. There's no rust, or pitting on the receiver or internals. There is blueing wear, but that's to be expected.

I don't care for the dot matrix marks on the receiver myself. I don't know why the ATF won't accept the original serial numbers, but what do I know. :o

The K31 is a great sleeper deal if you can find one in decent shape.

chickenfried
07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I was very happy with the walnut I got from Aim. Have an order with Samco right now. But I like playing luck of the draw :D . Allan's Armory is a good choice if you want to know exactly what you're purchasing.
http://www.allans-armory.com/
Sample description from Allan's Armory
Schmidt Rubin K31 Short Rifle {7.5mm Swiss} 1951 manufacture. Wood is "G to G+" condition beech with cartouche on buttstock. Lite wear to toe area. Metal finish 85% except stockband. Clear deep crest on receiver. Matching numbers stamped on the receiver, barrel, bolt, and mag. (I haven't removed the wood to check the stock and hand guard). Name tag with matching serial number under buttplate. Bore has VG+ lands, grooves shine. $120

tankerman
07-28-2006, 10:36 AM
...I'd say a Swede instead, based on my rifles.;)

-hanko

The 96 is nice as long as it's not made by the Swedes, but made in Germany. The 1903 Greek Mannlicher is tops, led to the creation of the modern Scout rifle, however it started with the 1893 Mannlicher. Both much smoother actions than the Swede.

thedrickel
07-31-2006, 8:13 PM
Got a couple K31's from SAMCO. Two weeks shipping time is correct. I think I ordered the "special select" with beech stock. All matching, the metal is in top-notch shape (95%+ -I don't see any bluing wear), buttstocks are at least "good", I would rate one as very good. Of course they have the boot marks down on the butt, but nothing too bad. Most of the dings (besides on the butt) will steam out if I ever get around to it (doubtful). I paid about 270 shipped for both.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again, but for another K31 I would probly go with Allan or gbroker so I could "handpick" it myself.

milsurplover
08-02-2006, 2:10 PM
I've had great luck with Big 5. Two walnut stocks and three had tags. Each was $89. Look for sales. Go and get rain checks because they are usually sold out and then come back when they are not on sale and use the rain check to get an even better quality one. Be careful on some of the product though as sometimes things can be pretty nasty.

Ask nicely to "see one from the back." I've learned that it's good to visit a place regularly and make friends with the counter person. The Big %'s in AZ are great! I can't say enough.